PDA

View Full Version : What is up with ESPN's analysts?

Gracie Dean
09-26-2000, 11:41 AM
Theisman says:

The Redskins, I believe, led the league last year in passes of more than 20 yards.

Uh - Joe, did you happen to play for the Redskins in a past life or something? The CHIEFS led the league in passes of more than 20 yards. I'm certain you have the resources available to validate this claim. OR, perhaps your editor can help you with your stats....

Tom Jackson:
In a place where they rarely win, Gunther Cunningham's team rallied to stun the red-hot Broncos thanks to suddenly-hot quarterback Elvis Grbac.

Rarely win, huh? By my count that win Sunday was 2 in a row & 4 of the last 7 in MileHigh. I guess this depends on what your definition of rarely is. Did you by chance play for the Broncos..... Never mind!<BR>

morphius
09-26-2000, 11:45 AM
These guys are just voiceboxes wearing suits...they are probably fed stats & simply regurgitate them on command.

I'd bet that Jackson was referring to the last few years.

Gracie Dean
09-26-2000, 11:51 AM
Maybe Tom was referring to 97 & 98.... Even if you throw out this year & last year, the Chiefs have still taken 2 of the last 5. That's not exactly RARELY.

Bwana
09-26-2000, 12:07 PM
Where's Dan T. when you need him, but something that happens rarely should constitute less than 10% of the time. Winning 57% of the last 7 games played in Pile High would not constitute rarely in my statistics book.

Tom Jackson adds little insight to ESPN-NFL analysis other than what he is fed through his earpiece. Joe Theisman, as usual, talks out of *** . He does this so frequently, I often forget whether he is supposed to cover his mouth when he cough's or just wipe.

The_Grand_Illusion
09-26-2000, 12:13 PM
You guys shouldn't even listen to Tom Jackson's insight on the game the man is a Bronco.

aaaaa
09-26-2000, 12:22 PM
Man, the only thing rarely about Tom Jackson is the position of his nose with respect to the Broncos. Oh wait, that's REARLY. Get outta' that Bronco butt, Tom, 'cause you're making Gun's foot hurt every time he kicks it!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-26-2000, 12:25 PM
It's the same tired sh!t we get from every national analyst, year after freaking year. For some reason, even when we're playing well, it's usually attributed to the opponent "giving it away" or "having an off week" or some other pile of sh!t that takes away from the KC accomplishment. That is, if you can find mention of the Chiefs at all in the volumes of stuff generated each week.

Shootr
09-26-2000, 12:28 PM
I would really like to think that the Chiefs are the main reason the Broncos didn't execute their game plan the way they would have liked to. But let the big media keep on dissin' us and then sooner or later, when they appear from nowhere, people are going to cheer about how they are an over night wonder.

------------------
bk

AustinChief
09-26-2000, 12:30 PM
KPhobia,

Upset because chiefs aren't "Getting the respect they deserve"?

I'll repeat myself, you need to play well to get credit.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-26-2000, 12:34 PM
Yet another truly idiotic statement from the new Master of Flatulence.

It's really not too much to expect the team to get credit for what they actually accomplished. He's not asking for respect--simple recognition of the facts would suffice.

Like the fact that [b]KC is the owner of 3 consecutive victories over the Denver Broncos, with 2 of those coming at Mile High Stadium.</b>

Gaz
09-26-2000, 12:35 PM
At least Theisman got this much right:

"Elvis Grbac started to play this kind of football a year ago. He is a much more confident football player.

One key to his emergence has been his health. Last season, when ESPN aired the Chiefs 11th game, it was Grbac's 11th start, the longest stretch of his career. Whether he was a backup in San Francisco or he was hurt before that, he never really settled into the position. The more you play quarterback, the more of a feel you get for the game. You are much more familiar with what your offense can do. That's what we are seeing from Grbac. He's continuing to play at the high level he established last year."

At least somebody recognises that this is not a 2-game turnaround that Grbac is going through.

Gracie Dean
09-26-2000, 12:36 PM
Uh - Broncoboy - no. It would, however, be nice if these so-called analysts could get some facts straight. That's the point of my post. I'm not overly concerned with respect. Like you, I feel the Chiefs will get respect when we beat a good team. We'll have to beat the remaining 2 good teams on our schedule (Rams & Bills) before anybody in the media throws accolades in our direction.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-26-2000, 12:38 PM
Bob Dole is just wondering how many angels could dance on Broncofan's head...

BIG_DADDY
09-26-2000, 12:38 PM
The Donks D has not played well....they have given up the most points in the AFC.

------------------
CHIEFS

TODD
09-26-2000, 12:39 PM
Randy cross with cbs was really talking s*#t about the chiefs the whole game during the telecast on tv. Not until the end of the game did they give the chiefs any credit. Just like always these sportscasters cover there *** until they find out who wins!

Clint in Wichita
09-26-2000, 03:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought thay said the same thing about the Redskins on MNF too. I think we led the league in plays over 70 yards or something like that...

Chiefnj
09-26-2000, 06:11 PM
Living in a neutral city, I see little to no coverage or discussion about KC. To my knowledge, none of their games has been televised yet up here - even the great rivalry Denver-KC game lost out to Keyshon's grudge match. But of course, there wasn't a media-type in the universe who gave us a chance in hell to win. Why would they give national coverage to the mighty Broncos crushing the silly little cowtown boys from Kansas? (I say that because most people don't even know that Kansas City is in Missouri. If I had a nickel for every Chicago moron who couldn't even find Kansas City on a map, I'd be an instant billionaire.)

So what earns respect and gets attention? SUPERSTAR PLAYERS AND WINNING THE BIG GAMES IN THE PLAYOFFS. We haven't had a true superstar since Montana, and we haven't won a playoff game since Montana went away. The Deions and Keyshons and Terrells of the world get all the coverage today. Despite a career day and a win, Gonzo couldn't overshadow Keyshon's one-catch game and a loss, and he's the closest thing to a superstar we have. Sad but true.

Once we win something big, or acquire/produce a megamouth superstar playmaker, we will finally get some attention and/or respect. Until then, we will continue to be the no-name, small town, non-factor, no coverage guys who don't make or lose in the playoffs as regular as clockwork.

At least I won't have to go to a bar or listen to the computer for next week's game.

Gracie Dean
09-26-2000, 06:43 PM
I dunno Wolf - some of these baseball style, obscure stats get my head spinning sometimes. I know we led the league in Long plays last year. Whether the criteria for long plays was 20, 50, 70, or some yardage in between, I'm not certain.

I think you understand the point of my post, though, right?

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-26-2000, 06:52 PM
Frazod, Kansas City is also in Kansas. Granted the Chiefs are on the Mizzou side, but when you have a town named after a state people's first reaction is to associate it with the state.

------------------
WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING!

aaaaa
09-26-2000, 06:54 PM
Hey frazod,

CBS-2 Chicago carried the Chiefs v. Indy game. Also, they allow fans to vote on which games they want to watch. Go to http://www.cbs2chicago.com, then Sports, then Fan's Choice. I just voted for the Chargers-Broncos game for October 8. The October 1st balloting probably just ended.

Man, it is so true how little geography the folks up here know. If the Royals or Chiefs are hosting a team, the newscasters are at least as likely to say "in Kansas", as they are to say, "in Missouri." As lame as that is, I wouldn't even venture a guess at how few Chicagoans could name the major river in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. You'd think most of them would have some clue about nearby major-league cities, but they don't.

milkman
09-26-2000, 07:01 PM
Dan - You mean the Minnesota River, correct ? http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif It does exsist and runs through the city.

Fraz - I think part of the problem is that we have guys like Gonzo and Morris (possible star) who are both humble and good guys. They just don't make big news because they are not arrogant, loudmouth, jerks.

Chiefnj
09-26-2000, 08:19 PM
Responses to various posts:

Dan, I was out of town Labor Day weekend, and didn't know if the game was televised or not. I do know that none have been televised since.

Raiderhater - I was not belittling KCKS. I even know its in Wyandotte County, and I didn't have to look that up. My point was that the Chiefs play on the Missouri side and far too many people are too stupid to know it. Apparently geography is not taught in Illinois schools. You'd be surprised how many people up here have asked me how the "Kansas Chiefs" are doing.

Morph - good point about the showboaters - I was running out of room and didn't mention it. I certainly prefer to have respectful, professional athletes on my team who let their play on the field speak for them, but we all know that's not what grabs the WWF-like attention of the national sports media.

At least now I have a means (the internet) to get Chiefs news when it breaks. Now I just need to move somewhere that I can get a satelite dish, then I can watch what I WANT, not what some Bears fan douchebag thinks I want to watch.