PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Chiefs are a bunch of liars...

shaneo69
09-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Judging by fan response, Chiefs fans are far more bitter about the price of beer at Arrowhead than they are about the price of a ticket.

Tuesday's column about the Chiefs' average season-ticket prices ($67.26) being out of whack with the city's per capita personal income ($32,467) seemed to mildly miff Chiefs season-ticket holders.

But what really irritated the Arrowhead faithful was the information from Team Marketing Report — an independent sports marketing research firm in Chicago — that suggested the Chiefs sold the cheapest beer in the league at $3.75 a pop.

That suggestion drew ridicule and laughter from a sea of beer-drinking Chiefs fans, who responded with voice mails and e-mails.

“A beer at Arrowhead for $3.75?” one fan wrote. “Are they joking? Please, please tell me where I can find a beer that cheap at Arrowhead.”

Sure enough, the folks at Team Marketing Report were misled by a survey returned to them by the Chiefs.

Becky Wallace, editor at Team Marketing, said her company sent out surveys to all NFL teams before the season started, asking for each team's ticket, parking and basic concession prices.

Wallace said the Chiefs sent the survey back to her with the following information: Small beer, $3.75; small soft drink, $2.25; regular-size hot dog, $3.50.

The truth? According to Centerplate (formerly Volume Services), the concessionaire for Truman Sports Complex, the cheapest beer at Arrowhead is $6. The cheapest soft drink is $4. And the cheapest hot dog is $3.75.

Oops.

Why the big discrepancy? Chiefs director of ticket operations Doug Hopkins said he wasn't sure, because he only filled out the top half of the survey — the one regarding ticket prices (which we confirmed to be accurate).

As for the rest of the survey, we're not sure who filled it out. Wallace Bennett, director of marketing and sales for the Chiefs, did not return a phone call.

Logical
09-22-2004, 09:42 AM
The Chiefs would lie, what a shock! :rolleyes:

BigRedChief
09-22-2004, 09:50 AM
first Priestgate and now Beergate

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
It's all Carl's Fault!
The organization is just a reflection of the man in charge.

NewChief
09-22-2004, 10:04 AM
As penance, I think they should be forced to run a $2 drafts special to make up for it.

BigChiefFan
09-22-2004, 10:05 AM
The money-machine is being scrutinized? Wow.

BIG_DADDY
09-22-2004, 10:05 AM
That's why you get a flask.

Chiefnj
09-22-2004, 10:10 AM
As penance, I think they should be forced to run a $2 drafts special to make up for it.

I don't think you'd get Warfield off the concession line and back in the game after halftime.

BigChiefFan
09-22-2004, 10:12 AM
BTW, it was $15.00 for TWO beers. Two beers!!!! Where's my refund, Carl? :p

ChiTown
09-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I never buy beer at Arrowhead. I load up prior to the game, and sneak in what I need during. What a bunch of hijackers....

BigChiefFan
09-22-2004, 10:24 AM
I never buy beer at Arrowhead. I load up prior to the game, and sneak in what I need during. What a bunch of hijackers....
We drink before the game as well, but you gotta have one at Arrowhead. That's what I work for. I hate the price, but I likes da beer.

David.
09-22-2004, 10:26 AM
drinking beer is what tailgating is for.

ChiTown
09-22-2004, 10:27 AM
We drink before the game as well, but you gotta have one at Arrowhead. That's what I work for. I hate the price, but I likes da beer.

No thank ye. I have a little flask or whatever that I nip on during the game. Those a-holes aren't getting my hard earned money to rent a couple of $7 12 oz beers.

tburg
09-22-2004, 11:08 AM
A bigger question is how did that make it to print? Talk about being out of touch with reality, I read that article and questioned the price right away.

J Diddy
09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
I don't think you'd get Warfield off the concession line and back in the game after halftime.

ROFL

shakesthecat
09-22-2004, 11:19 AM
No thank ye. I have a little flask or whatever that I nip on during the game. Those a-holes aren't getting my hard earned money to rent a couple of $7 12 oz beers.

I'm not sure of the price, but I always get 24oz. super silo's from my friendly Bud Man.
I thought they were $7.50

So when you think about it, that's only $3.75 for every 12 oz.
I can live with that. But then I only go to a couple games a year.

But yeah, a flask is nice, especially when the weather gets cold.

J Diddy
09-22-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure of the price, but I always get 24oz. super silo's from my friendly Bud Man.

I bought my crappy luke warm $6 bud light at the game on sunday.

I then decided lemonade was the way to go.

tasted better anyhow

tburg
09-22-2004, 11:37 AM

they did go up .25 to 7.75..just an FYI

ptlyon
09-22-2004, 11:45 AM

****. I see I'll have to bring an extra 50 to the game now

shakesthecat
09-22-2004, 11:46 AM

Ahh.
Wasn't sure as Mrs. Shakes was nice enough to make the beer runs last week, while I was busy cussing and falling down the isles.