ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   At least we have been stopping the run... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103834)

Red Dawg 11-08-2004 01:23 PM

At least we have been stopping the run...

pretty well. Compared to last year we are stuffing it completely out.

Bowser 11-08-2004 01:25 PM

We ARE better on D than last year. And we're 5 games worse than that team was this time last year. Explain THAT to me.

FAX 11-08-2004 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy T

Except for the long runs for touchdowns, you are correct, Mr. Daddy T.

FAX

NewChief 11-08-2004 01:38 PM

I think we're stopping* the run because it's so freaking easy to pass against us that you'd have to be an idiot to stick mainly to your ground game against us.

*Assuming you consider the travesty that occurred yesterday stopping.

PastorMikH 11-08-2004 01:40 PM

Why would any team want to run for a few yards on any given play when they can pass for 20?

:shrug:

Gaz 11-08-2004 01:43 PM

The explanation is easy, but unpalatable...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
We ARE better on D than last year. And we're 5 games worse than that team was this time last year. Explain THAT to me.

The Incredible Vanishing Offense & no miracle ST returns.

Last season, the O capitalized on chances to put a game away. This year, they have not done so. For all the howling about the D, the Offense has had a chance to put the game away in every one of our losses. They have come up short.

And STs have not been able to contribute like last season.

That is the difference between 2003 & 2004.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure where the O vanishes to.

Calcountry 11-08-2004 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy T

You have to start somewhere.

chiefz 11-08-2004 01:44 PM

If you watch the replay on that long run by Pittman you will see a clear hold on the sholder pads of Hicks while he is being pushed inside.

ROYC75 11-08-2004 01:45 PM

Are we ? Really ? It appears to be a little better, but in reality it's not.

Last year, our pass defense was better because teams choose to run on us, trying to control the clock and limit our # of rep's on ofense.

This year the pass D is so bad, teams take mor advantage because the 5 yard rule gives the WR's a huge advantage. Teams are passing more on us, or at least it seams that way.

Yes, " if " you can take out the long runs, we are better, BTA, so is our pass D if we take out the long ones.

ROYC75 11-08-2004 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefz
If you watch the replay on that long run by Pittman you will see a clear hold on the sholder pads of Hicks while he is being pushed inside.

In reality, Mitchell over persued the hole, was an easy block for the pulling guard.

Mitchell needs to time his pursuit, the point of impact to the hole when the HB gets there, if not he better be man enough to shed the block to get the tackle. Mitchell has to look at be blocking going into the hole before he commits his point of attack.

morphius 11-08-2004 01:52 PM

Gaz - I don't believe it has as much to do with our ST not making the big play, but more with our ST coverage giving up huge play after huge play.

I think penalties are one of the number one thing that is killing us. In our losses we are averaging over 9 a game, I believe. It has kept our O out of sync and lengthened too many drives for our opponents with PI and holding...

FAX 11-08-2004 01:55 PM

Yes, and if I had pushed a little harder, perhaps it would have come out a little longer.

With all due respect, analyzing a complete dump of a performance by the Chiefs may no longer be an intellectual excercise.

FAX

Gaz 11-08-2004 01:57 PM

Yep...

morphius-

I agree that the coverage crew is a big problem with ST this season. We miss Beisel and Boerigter a lot. That is a lot more troubling to me than the return game.

I was simply pointing out the difference between 2003 & 2004, as Bowser requested. Hall’s amazing run pulled our hash out of the fire more than once, as I recall.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still hopes for Hall to bust a couple wide open.

chiefz 11-08-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
In reality, Mitchell over persued the hole, was an easy block for the pulling guard.

Mitchell needs to time his pursuit, the point of impact to the hole when the HB gets there, if not he better be man enough to shed the block to get the tackle. Mitchell has to look at be blocking going into the hole before he commits his point of attack.

If he held off any longer he would have missed him completely.

He was right there waiting for Pittman but there was a blocker right in front of him. Warfield had his hands on him but couldn't hold on long enough. If anyone overpursued it was Fujita. He was in the hole and picked up by the tight end 2 seconds before Pittman made it to where he was. To me it appears that Mitchell was right where he was supposed to be but unfortunately there was a blocker right there to. The thing that really bothered me was Wesley was just standing there like he thought Mitchell had instead of being back in a position to make an assist and never even pursued the damned ball until they were running right by him. At least Woods was trying to get over but he was being blocked by two guys.

Rick 11-08-2004 02:22 PM

Read what Jerome said. They are taught to be so aggressive and get to the ball full speed that when it is misdirection they're screwed. If those bootlegs were simple qb runs he would run for 40 a whack. This "we're gonna kill ya " crap from Gunther isn't good enough. You must be aggressive and disciplined at the same time- that comes with talent and experience- something we don't have much of on that side of the ball.