ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   At this point I think we should trade the 2 for Surtain (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111871)

Red Dawg 03-09-2005 07:36 AM

At this point I think we should trade the 2 for Surtain

The pick'ins are getting slim. If we must spend big bucks I'd rather it be Surtain than Law. I would love to have Law but his foot may never get better or it could be fine. WE know that Sutain is 100%.

Gaz 03-09-2005 07:38 AM

Not yet...

Premature.

xoxo~
Gaz
Holding off until Hartwell or Dyson is signed.

Gaz 03-09-2005 07:42 AM

Premature, but not precluded...

I will say, however, that when Hartwell signs, I offer up the 2nd for Surtain.

xoxo~
Gaz
Coiled in the grass, ready to strike.

ROYC75 03-09-2005 08:05 AM

Pull the plug Carl........get the contract inked out and Surtain here since you fugged up on Rolle.

Would have been happier with Rolle and our # 2 .

cookster50 03-09-2005 08:09 AM

Gaz, you really think we are getting Hartwell? I have a feeling we are out of the running for Hartwell.

BigRedChief 03-09-2005 08:14 AM

My Thoughts:
Sign Hartwell. Give the #2 for Surtain. Draft Rolle with the #15. Pick up a FA wide reciever to replace Morton.

tiptap 03-09-2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

Premature.

xoxo~
Gaz
Holding off until Hartwell or Dyson is signed.

I see the scenario going to Draft Day. The process depends upon how much cap room Miami has to sign the people they draft. Now technically they can wait till June to trim their squad so they are under the cap. They could see who makes the team. But 1st round choices have contracts that always have SB that if the player doesn't make the team will bite a team and still represents a hit averaged over 6 or 7 years especially with the 2nd pick of the draft. They are still shopping for help on the offensive line so I suspect that they would really like to move Surtain's cap numbers off their ledgers.
But that does leave other teams (being Seattle now) that may have interest. I feel that Surtain is worth a 2nd round draft pick if we can have him for several years and if we can also stay under the cap. It may take revisiting some of our offensive players contracts but not having to pay a 2nd round salary draft person will help some as well.

Gaz 03-09-2005 08:18 AM

Who are the other suitors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by damark
Gaz, you really think we are getting Hartwell? I have a feeling we are out of the running for Hartwell.

I dunno.

But I think Hartwell and [a healthy] Bell would be major upgrades. At that point, I would be willing to give up the 2nd for Surtain.

Best Case:
Hartwell, Bell, Dyson

Next Best Case:
Hartwell, Bell, Surtain

Next Next Best Case:
Hartwell, Bell, Law

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopefull until Hartwell signs with somebody.

milkman 03-09-2005 08:38 AM

Gaz, I just don't see why trading for Surtain becomes a better option if we were to sign Hartwell.

At first, I liked the idea of trading the #2 pick for Surtain, but as I've given it more thought, I have come to the conclusion that it's not a good idea.

His price tag will/would be a lot higher than Dyson, which I believe would make him unaffordable after signing Hartwell.

And since I believe/know that the shutdown corner is a long dead artifact of NFL lore, I don't believe that spending the kind of jack on Surtain that he would ask for is practical.

We need to upgrade, because there is a difference between Battle/Bartee and real NFL CBs, but we just don't need to spend that kind of money on the position.

Sign Dyson, sign Hartwell, draft DE, draft a corner, and move Battle/Bartee to safety.

I'd even take Herndon, at the right price.

tomahawk kid 03-09-2005 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
Gaz, I just don't see why trading for Surtain becomes a better option if we were to sign Hartwell.

At first, I liked the idea of trading the #2 pick for Surtain, but as I've given it more thought, I have come to the conclusion that it's not a good idea.

His price tag will/would be a lot higher than Dyson, which I believe would make him unaffordable after signing Hartwell.

And since I believe/know that the shutdown corner is a long dead artifact of NFL lore, I don't believe that spending the kind of jack on Surtain that he would ask for is practical.

We need to upgrade, because there is a difference between Battle/Bartee and real NFL CBs, but we just don't need to spend that kind of money on the position.

Sign Dyson, sign Hartwell, draft DE, draft a corner, and move Battle/Bartee to safety.

I'd even take Herndon, at the right price.

I was under the impression that Dyson would not be that much of an upgrade.

Someone mentioned he got pushed around alot in the Titans Defense and Gun was not high on him.

Gaz 03-09-2005 08:45 AM

I am trying to go with the flow here...

SideWinder-

Surtain is my second option behind Dyson.

If we get Hartwell, we are no longer desperate for an OLB [Bell would take that role]. Therefore, I am willing to exchange that 2nd Round pick for Surtain. With the LB corps taken care of, I would not fight Surtain.

In any case, I am supremely disinterested in Law.

Herndon would have to come really cheap to stir my interest. But my interest is stirable.

xoxo~
Gaz
Conjuring the possibilities.

Gaz 03-09-2005 08:46 AM

There are upgrades and there are upgrades...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid

Someone mentioned he got pushed around alot in the Titans Defense and Gun was not high on him.

Dyson Vs Battle/Bartee.

I smell upgrade.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure who would not be a upgrade.

milkman 03-09-2005 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid

I would be an upgrade at the position, that's how bad Bartee/Battle/McPasOn are.

And while I think Gun is OK as a DC, I really question his talent eval abilities.
I mean, he is the guy that was HC at the time Bartee was drafted, and he (Bartee) fits his (Gun's) physical profile of CB.

KCTitus 03-09-2005 08:47 AM

Gaz: The Hartwell ship has sailed...there's no way that's happening with the Bell signing.

htismaqe 03-09-2005 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
My Thoughts:
Sign Hartwell. Give the #2 for Surtain. Draft Rolle with the #15. Pick up a FA wide reciever to replace Morton.

That would be freaking awesome.