PDA

View Full Version : Royals 2009 Kansas City Royals Repository.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
You should consider 500 runs for the year a success with that lineup.

alnorth
12-12-2009, 01:05 AM
The nerds at fangraphs unloaded both barrels of the shotgun today.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/and-the-jason-kendall-era-begins-in-kc

The Royals managed to acquire a guy who is barely better than a AAA journeyman, will be 36 in 2010, will likely be replacement level or below in 2011 if he isn’t already, and are paying him six million dollars over two years. This would be a bad contract no matter what the team’s situation.

Buck and Pena aren’t the primary issue here. They are examples that emphasize both the overpayment and pointlessness of the Kendall acquisition, particularly on a team that will be lucky to win 75 games in 2010. It is tempting to turn this into a rant about Dayton Moore, but frankly, this probably won’t be my last chance to do so this off-season. Instead, let’s have some words from the man of the hour himself, Jason Kendall:

“There were other offers,” [Kendall] said, “but one thing about Dayton and the Royals is, they called me the first day I became a free agent. That’s something that kind of speaks for itself.”

Indeed.

tk13
12-12-2009, 01:07 AM
It's funny, too, because people have bashed Buck for years. And I don't think he's some all-world guy. But it's not like there's a plethora of catching brilliance out there. I've always thought you could do a lot worse than Buck. Hopefully we don't see that.

Although you never know with these things, some of the Royals best teams in the past 20 years (which I know isn't saying much) came with Brent Mayne behind the plate and nobody ever thought he was worth anything.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Dayton Pioli came from Atlanta. Therefore, he will be a success.

tk13
12-12-2009, 01:08 AM
You should consider 500 runs for the year a success with that lineup.

Is that including Spring Training? Just kidding, just kidding.

CaliforniaChief
12-12-2009, 01:09 AM
What a fun diversion during Bills week. It almost makes me want to look ahead to the Browns game.

Deberg_1990
12-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Jason Kendell huh? Too bad its not 1998!

alnorth
12-12-2009, 01:14 AM
I've always thought you could do a lot worse than Buck. Hopefully we don't see that.

Thats a lot to hope for.

I never really got the Buck hatred. I think he's basically tainted in the mind of the fans by being part of the Beltran trade, but thats not his fault. He's just basically a league-average catcher who is a little questionable on defense.

Wilson8
12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Blue Jays Sign John Buck

By Luke Adams [December 13 at 12:45pm CST]
The Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $2MM deal with John Buck, pending a physical, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

Buck was non-tendered yesterday by the Kansas City Royals. As Tim pointed out in our summary of the most interesting new free agents, Buck is still just 29 years old and has exhibited some power in the past. His career numbers are .235/.298/.407 with 70 homers in 584 games.

With Toronto's signings of Buck and Raul Chavez earlier today, the Jays' backstop situation for 2010 is starting to take shape.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

doomy3
12-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Blue Jays Sign John Buck

By Luke Adams [December 13 at 12:45pm CST]
The Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $2MM deal with John Buck, pending a physical, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

Buck was non-tendered yesterday by the Kansas City Royals. As Tim pointed out in our summary of the most interesting new free agents, Buck is still just 29 years old and has exhibited some power in the past. His career numbers are .235/.298/.407 with 70 homers in 584 games.

With Toronto's signings of Buck and Raul Chavez earlier today, the Jays' backstop situation for 2010 is starting to take shape.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

It sucks, but once we declined arbitration for Buck, we had no chance at signing him. Would have much rather had him for $2MM than Kendall for $3MM.

alnorth
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh, for f**k's sake, we spent an extra $1MM next year to significantly downgrade at catcher.

eazyb81
12-22-2009, 09:41 PM
We signed Brian Anderson today for $700K.

Meh.

Actually I don't really hate this deal. He is a great defensive CF and has shown potential with the bat in the minors. At worst, he will provide some competition for Maier and can come off the bench as a defensive replacement late in games.

DeezNutz
12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Oh, for f**k's sake, we spent an extra $1MM next year to significantly downgrade at catcher.

It's the Patriot way.

DeezNutz
12-22-2009, 10:44 PM
We signed Brian Anderson today for $700K.

Meh.

Actually I don't really hate this deal. He is a great defensive CF and has shown potential with the bat in the minors. At worst, he will provide some competition for Maier and can come off the bench as a defensive replacement late in games.

$700K is throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks.

If so, great. If not, who cares...

These kinds of moves should happen frequently for a club like the Royals. Maybe we'll catch lightning.

doomy3
12-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Looks like Brandon Morrow is going to Toronto for a prospect and Brandon League.

I REALLY hope we talked to Seattle about him, because he is exactly the type of player we need to be trading for/acquiring. Young, HUGE upside, and available. Morrow, along with Greinke and the pitching we have in the minors could have been an awesome start to our rotation.

CHENZ A!
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Fuck John Buck. If you can't hit(like most catchers can't) at least throw out some runners, and call a good game. Catcher is the one position I'll take TPJ-like production from if he can play stellar defense.

Hoping Brayan Pena will have a breakout year! lol

CaliforniaChief
12-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey, at least we didn't acquire Milton Bradley.

Addition by inaction.

DeezNutz
12-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Looks like Brandon Morrow is going to Toronto for a prospect and Brandon League.

I REALLY hope we talked to Seattle about him, because he is exactly the type of player we need to be trading for/acquiring. Young, HUGE upside, and available. Morrow, along with Greinke and the pitching we have in the minors could have been an awesome start to our rotation.

Agreed.

Now that the minor league system is getting to a respectable level, though there's still much work to be done, Moore needs to be proactive in thinking about moving prospects for a bit more "proven" talent. A lot of our picks ultimately won't yield results.

I'd start by seeing if anyone is seriously interested in Moosetacos.

CaliforniaChief
12-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Agreed.

Now that the minor league system is getting to a respectable level, though there's still much work to be done, Moore needs to be proactive in thinking about moving prospects for a bit more "proven" talent. A lot of our picks ultimately won't yield results.

I'd start by seeing if anyone is seriously interested in Moosetacos.

Really? Is he not progressing well in the minors? That's a serious question.

DeezNutz
12-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Really? Is he not progressing well in the minors? That's a serious question.

Last year was a disappointment, even though he was playing in a notoriously unforgiving park for hitter. His road splits, however, were not starkly different.

The biggest knock, however, is that he's shown little plate discipline.

Couple this with Hosmer's vision problems, and two of our most important young pieces currently have a lot of major question marks looming over their heads.

Also know, though, that I HATED the Moosetacos selection at the time, and I haven't moved off this stance much since.

CaliforniaChief
12-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Last year was a disappointment, even though he was playing in a notoriously unforgiving park for hitter. His road splits, however, were not starkly different.

The biggest knock, however, is that he's shown little plate discipline.

Couple this with Hosmer's vision problems, and two of our most important young pieces currently have a lot of major question marks looming over their heads.

Also know, though, that I HATED the Moosetacos selection at the time, and I haven't moved off this stance much since.

Interesting.

Has Hosmer watched Major League? Maybe he just needs glasses.

DeezNutz
12-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Interesting.

Has Hosmer watched Major League? Maybe he just needs glasses.

He's had vision-correction surgery.

Our GM selected a dude who couldn't see. You just can't make this shit up.

KC Royals 2010: If you can see us, we're interested.

CaliforniaChief
12-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Maybe we should pay Tony Gonzalez to "bump" into him, send him to the ER, make sure there's nothing major going on.

ArrowheadMagic
12-22-2009, 11:29 PM
So when does the news of the Bedard signing break?

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Updated Dec 30, 2009 3:43 PM EDT

The Rockies are attempting to work out final details on a contract with catcher Miguel Olivo.
Olivo became the focus of the Rockies off-season efforts after they reached a stalemate in negotiations to re-sign Yorvit Torrealba.

The Rockies are committed to giving Chris Iannetta a full chance to become the everyday catcher. They signed Iannetta to a three-year deal this off-season. They are looking for a proven veteran to backup Iannetta. Torrealba has had that role the last three seasons.

The Rockies offered Torrealba a two-year, $4.5 million deal before he became a free agent. They had increased that offer to $5.6 million earlier this month, but Torrealba was holding at a $6 million proposal, and the Rockies declined to make any more concessions.

That's when they turned to Olivo, who is a strong-armed receiver with home run potential. He led Kansas City with 23 home runs last season, and has hit 67 the last fours years, which were split between Florida and Kansas City.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Rockies-pursue-Miguel-Olivo-123009

Jordan
12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
$5.6 million for a backup catcher after committing all that money to Iannetta already?

Must be nice...

IF he goes to Colorado, Olivo's HR/AB numbers should skyrocket as Coors is much more hitter friendly than the K.

...but hey, we got Jake Taylor...er, Jason Kendall.

WilliamTheIrish
12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Losing Olivo is going to be like draining an abscess. It relieves the pain and gives the patient a much better chance of survival.

But if you fail to administer anibiotics for the infection (David Glass)... the patient will remain septic.

And die.

WilliamTheIrish
12-31-2009, 10:18 AM

"I fully expect us to sign Eddie Gaedel, he's a 6' 3" OF, any day now"./ Dayton Moore.

CaliforniaChief
12-31-2009, 10:22 AM
$5.6 million for a backup catcher after committing all that money to Iannetta already?

Must be nice...

IF he goes to Colorado, Olivo's HR/AB numbers should skyrocket as Coors is much more hitter friendly than the K.

...but hey, we got Jake Taylor...er, Jason Kendall.

Well played, n00b!!! :clap:
Rep for you.

DeezNutz
12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
"I fully expect us to sign Eddie Gaedel, he's a 6' 3" OF, any day now"./ Dayton Moore.

His OBP would be too high, pardon the pun.

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 12:41 AM
http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/

Several weeks old, now, but it never got any play in this thread. I just read it tonight, and I don't want to be the only one feeling like he was kicked in the balls.

But Trey Hillman is the real problem! LMAO

KevB
01-06-2010, 01:42 AM
http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/

Several weeks old, now, but it never got any play in this thread. I just read it tonight, and I don't want to be the only one feeling like he was kicked in the balls.

But Trey Hillman is the real problem! LMAO

Rany enjoys spinning a crafty phrase, but this one cracked me up for it's simplicity:

"Yes, Yuniesky Betancourt looks great in a uniform – but that fact couldn’t overcome the fact that he sucks."

petegz28
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Royals claim pitcher Gaby Hernandez from Red Sox
The Royals announced today that the club has claimed right-handed pitcher Gaby Hernandez off waivers from the Boston Red Sox. To make room on the 40-man roster, the Royals placed right-handed pitcher Henry Barrera on the 60-day D.L.

jbwm89
03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
does anyone play mlb2k10? I am trying to find a player list or something for the fake minor league players for the Royals. there has to be someone out there that is as big of a loser as me

DeezNutz
03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
there has to be someone out there that is as big of a loser as me

Check the Cards thread.