PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Elder Scrolls V

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Quesadilla Joe
01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm stuck in Misty Grove and can't get out. :cuss:

Do not go back to Misty Grove once you've been there, there is absolutely no way out on consoles.

EDIT: Yes for some reason I decided to save my progress while in Misty Grove (didn't know I was trapped at that moment) and now I have to go back to a much earlier save.

Frazod
01-09-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm stuck in Misty Grove and can't get out. :cuss:

Do not go back to Misty Grove once you've been there, there is absolutely no way out on consoles.

EDIT: Yes for some reason I decided to save my progress while in Misty Grove (didn't know I was trapped at that moment) and now I have to go back to a much earlier save.

Check earlier in the thread - if you get stuck somewhere, hit the ` key (over the tab), type "coc whiterun" and hit enter. You will then be deposited outside Whiterun in a central location.

And thank Buck for the tip.

Quesadilla Joe
01-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Check earlier in the thread - if you get stuck somewhere, hit the ` key (over the tab), type "coc whiterun" and hit enter. You will then be deposited outside Whiterun in a central location.

And thank Buck for the tip.

Thanks for trying to help but I'm a console n00b so I'm stuck having to go back to a much earlier save.

Setsuna
01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Think I've played over 500 hours. Bahahahahahaha.

htismaqe
01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Wait for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. You'll never be bored.

When does it come out? I spent so much time finishing every last thing on Fable 3, I never did get Skyrim and now I'm thinking I might just wait for Amalur.

MoreLemonPledge
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh.... Yeahhhhhhhhhhh...............

Macho Man Skyrim mod....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bifmj1O3D24?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The leggings are a nice touch...

This is fucking hilarious.

Setsuna
01-10-2012, 08:21 PM
When does it come out? I spent so much time finishing every last thing on Fable 3, I never did get Skyrim and now I'm thinking I might just wait for Amalur.

Feb. 7

htismaqe
01-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Feb. 7

Yeah, I looked it up.

I thought it was intriguing when I first saw a preview in Gameinformer but after visiting the website, I'm pretty excited about it.

I new it was being done by Ken Rolston but had no idea he was getting help from Salvatore and McFarlane.

Setsuna
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I looked it up.

I thought it was intriguing when I first saw a preview in Gameinformer but after visiting the website, I'm pretty excited about it.

I new it was being done by Ken Rolston but had no idea he was getting help from Salvatore and McFarlane.
Well I think this is the only thing we'll agree on. Which is ok. :thumb:

htismaqe
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Well I think this is the only thing we'll agree on. Which is ok. :thumb:

I'm sure we'll agree on something else given enough time. :toast:

I pre-ordered this at Gamestop earlier today, BTW.

Fire Me Boy!
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
The only thing worth reading today: @skyrimmom (http://twitter.com/skyrimmom) - Bethesda community manager Nick Breckon has asked his 65 year-old mother to sit down and play Skyrim. And while she does so, he's tweeting what she's saying. Maybe not every word, but at least the good parts. Sounds inane, but really, it's wonderful.

"I keep collecting lavender. I thought, 'Well, lavender has a very calming effect, maybe I can use the lavender on somebody.'"
"But by the time I equipped the lavender I'd be dead on the ground, so."

On meeting strangers: "I generally wait and make everything daylight because it's safer. I don't know who these guys are."

"I like the way I can walk around and pick up thistles. All I'm doing is picking locks and thistles."

"I laughed so hard. I was just killing everyone."

Fish
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
The only thing worth reading today: @skyrimmom - Bethesda community manager Nick Breckon has asked his 65 year-old mother to sit down and play Skyrim. And while she does so, he's tweeting what she's saying. Maybe not every word, but at least the good parts. Sounds inane, but really, it's wonderful.

LMAO

Here Mr. Dragon.... Have some calming lavende...... wait..... why'd he do that......?

htismaqe
01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
This one is great:

On meeting strangers: "I generally wait and make everything daylight because it's safer. I don't know who these guys are."

The Franchise
01-12-2012, 05:47 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HUztQNIbEaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna
01-12-2012, 11:04 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HUztQNIbEaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO Wow. Sick!

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
A couple more from @skyrimmom

"I got in some guy's cart and thought, 'Shit, I don't know where he's gonna take me! I had to get out; who knows where he was going.'"

"I'm sure I'm missing something, but nobody is yelling at me."

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2012, 04:23 PM
My Little Dovahkiin

http://cdnstatic.bethsoft.com/bethblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/dovahkiin_dragonborn_ooak_custom_by_daunted-d4j7540.jpg

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm addicted.

Bump
01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm lvl 25 and I don't feel like I play this game near enough as I should. I'm going nord, 2 handed and heavy armor. I love all of the random stuff that can happen, this game rocks!

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
My character is probably all fucked up but I'm rolling Dark Elf, 1 handed with Destruction and heavy armor. I'm at level 25 right now....trying to get my smithing up to 100.

Dave Lane
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm at level 50 High Elf wiped out everything but the dark brotherhood line I think. Only have Daedric sword, boot and helmet though.

115 hours in.

Mr. Laz
01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
My character is probably all ****ed up but I'm rolling Dark Elf, 1 handed with Destruction and heavy armor. I'm at level 25 right now....trying to get my smithing up to 100.
i did something similar and i struggled until i got the dual enchantment perk

made all the different

1 enchant to reduce cost of Destruction magic
1 enchant for elemental or magic resist

once that happened i started rolling

Mr. Laz
01-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm addicted.

i'm starting to get the urge to play again and build a sniper

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
i did something similar and i struggled until i got the dual enchantment perk

made all the different

1 enchant to reduce cost of Destruction magic
1 enchant for elemental or magic resist

once that happened i started rolling

I'll keep that in mind.

My main problem right now is magic users are completely raping me.

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Probably a dumb question.....but you can have more than one character at a time right?

I'm thinking about starting up a duel handed Orc.

Fire Me Boy!
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Probably a dumb question.....but you can have more than one character at a time right?

Yes, you'll just need different saves.

Pants
01-17-2012, 03:46 PM

You can have as many as you want. Just make sure you don't save over your other character's save file.

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
So when it auto-saves.....it'll just save over the file that I've created?

Fire Me Boy!
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
So when it auto-saves.....it'll just save over the file that I've created?

Auto-saves save separate files than the manual saves you do when you quit. But yes, it only uses three or four auto-save files and will continually save over those.

The Franchise
01-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Sweet.

Any recommendations for characters? Play types?

Hammock Parties
01-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Proof that bethesda is awesome.

(this is from Morrowind, released 2002)

http://i.imgur.com/MhHj6.jpg

Setsuna
01-17-2012, 10:09 PM

(this is from Morrowind, released 2002)

http://i.imgur.com/MhHj6.jpg

Doesn't just belong to Nords since my orc, redguard, and high elf are dragonborn. Fail.

Setsuna
01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Sweet.

Any recommendations for characters? Play types?

If you want to go melee weapons, roll a redguard who has that stamina regen power.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 08:03 AM

You probably aren't old enough to remember the bug-filled disaster that was Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall.

I haven't played a Bethesda game since they failed to ship my pre-order of Battlespire and refused to refund my money. I ended up getting the game 4 months after release. Not that I consciously boycotted them or anything, timing just worked out that I was playing Fable instead of Elder Scrolls for the majority of the series.

Bethesda had the good fortune of being the only real RPG at XBox launch. Without that, Skyrim probably never would have happened.

As for the picture, there's references to Skyrim all the way back in Arena in the mid-90's. They had the mythos almost fully-developed from the very beginning.

Mr. Laz
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

My main problem right now is magic users are completely raping me.
yeppers ... once you get your armor enchanted with elemental resistance those mages won't do shit.

Helps a ton with dragons too

I enchanted a shield with frost and fire resist and i could just stand in the middle of the dragon breathe attack and give them the middle finger.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Has anyone else gotten some really funky acting dragons that wont die?

The last two times I played that happened to me.

Starting to piss me off.

Dave Lane
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Nope but I've had some that die and I don't collect their souls. Pissed me off.

OmahaChief
01-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Nope but I've had some that die and I don't collect their souls. Pissed me off.

Had this happen the other night. The dragon just laid there and never changed form. I think that this mage that was nearby might have stolen my kill.

Quesadilla Joe
01-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Just used that Whirlwind sprint shout and it got me stuck behind a fucking wall. Can't get out.

Simply Red
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Just used that Whirlwind sprint shout and it got me stuck behind a ****ing wall. Can't get out.

did you elect to have your name changed to that?

Quesadilla Joe
01-20-2012, 12:40 AM
did you elect to have your name changed to that?

No, it just happened.

Simply Red
01-20-2012, 12:43 AM
No, it just happened.

who'd you piss off? ...also, why the signature? was this a bet or something, lost?

Simply Red
01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
ya know i have to know everything.

Quesadilla Joe
01-20-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't know. I'm not really worried about the name change to be honest, it's whatever.

The sig.... yeah I lost a couple bets with Claythan and he chose that sig for me.

Simply Red
01-20-2012, 12:58 AM
I don't know. I'm not really worried about the name change to be honest, it's whatever.

The sig.... yeah I lost a couple bets with Claythan and he chose that sig for me.

that's cool. It's been a little while, still ballin' like mike?

Sofa King
01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
that's cool. It's been a little while, still ballin' like mike?

How come you never ask if I'm still ballin' like mike?

Mr. Laz
01-21-2012, 12:45 PM
i wanna ball like mike.

:sulk:

Discuss Thrower
01-21-2012, 01:21 PM
I broke down and bought it after seeing way too many fraternity brothers playing it.

Setsuna
01-21-2012, 04:03 PM
I broke down and bought it after seeing way too many fraternity brothers playing it.

Really? I thought all you guys did was spank each other with paddles and bang that one sorority notorious for sleeping around. There's always one.

Mr. Laz
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
ok, i'll admit it. I cheated.

and i liked it

got this like mod/cheat that gives you items(mostly rings) with all the different enchantments. Kills 2 birds with one stone. First you don't have to search for all the enchantments and second you get a bunch of skill points to the enchantment perk because you get XP credit when you disenchant them.

The enchantment perk was such a tedious level and this cuts it in half.

Setsuna
01-21-2012, 08:37 PM
ok, i'll admit it. I cheated.

and i liked it

got this like mod/cheat that gives you items(mostly rings) with all the different enchantments. Kills 2 birds with one stone. First you don't have to search for all the enchantments and second you get a bunch of skill points to the enchantment perk because you get XP credit when you disenchant them.

The enchantment perk was such a tedious level and this cuts it in half.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....................booooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Setsuna
01-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Dudes, one of my xbox friends has a skyrim character at level 81. :eek:

Fire Me Boy!
01-22-2012, 07:56 AM
If you haven't done the quest and gotten the Oghma Infinium, DO IT.

htismaqe
01-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Dudes, one of my xbox friends has a skyrim character at level 81. :eek:

I got a Gold membership around Christmas (3 months for $9.99) so that I could wrap up some old online achievements and finish Fable 3. Some of the people I've played with have 150,000+ gamer points.

I had one guy PM me on x360a and over the week or so I worked with him on achievements, I saw him playing Lego Star Wars, Arkham City, Puzzle Qwest, Megamind, LOTR, Bejeweled 3, GoW, Modern Warfare, and 2 or 3 others. I mean, he'd literally pop into Unreal, play for 5 minutes and then go play Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Setsuna
01-22-2012, 11:59 AM
If you haven't done the quest and gotten the Oghma Infinium, DO IT.
Will do sir!

I got a Gold membership around Christmas (3 months for $9.99) so that I could wrap up some old online achievements and finish Fable 3. Some of the people I've played with have 150,000+ gamer points.

I had one guy PM me on x360a and over the week or so I worked with him on achievements, I saw him playing Lego Star Wars, Arkham City, Puzzle Qwest, Megamind, LOTR, Bejeweled 3, GoW, Modern Warfare, and 2 or 3 others. I mean, he'd literally pop into Unreal, play for 5 minutes and then go play Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
LMAO insane.

The Franchise
01-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Interesting....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cBLPfQJb9-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna
01-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Interesting....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cBLPfQJb9-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey pesty hurry up and get bored with that game before Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning comes out.:D

The Franchise
01-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Twice now today its locked up.

Bump
01-30-2012, 12:23 AM
my only complaint with this game is couldn't they have gotten more than 4 voice over actors? I mean, I would have done it for free and I'm sure tons of others would have too. That one guy who sounds like Barry Weis from storage wars, plays almost ever male character in this game.

Buck
01-30-2012, 12:37 AM
my only complaint with this game is couldn't they have gotten more than 4 voice over actors? I mean, I would have done it for free and I'm sure tons of others would have too. That one guy who sounds like Barry Weis from storage wars, plays almost ever male character in this game.

There are like 20+

Frazod
01-30-2012, 01:04 AM
My interest in this is lagging, but I played a bit more today. About 80% of the way to level 60.

One thing pissing me off is the amount of side quests that are stuck on my list but dead. Return to the Jarl of Whatever - nothing. Slay the dragon wherever - no dragon ever shows up. Kill the bandits are a specific location - nothing. I also have a thieves guild quest to rob a house in Whiterun that I can no longer access after the battle. I also have a specific quest where I character I need to interact with got killed in a random dragon attack, so that one's stuck, too. Fuckers.

I think I'm just going to ram through the main quest and call it a day. Go back and finish off the last ME2 mod and wait for the next installment of that which comes out in March.

Huffmeister
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
FYI, Steam has Skyrim on its Midweek Madness. It's on sale for $39.99 (33% off).

Setsuna
02-08-2012, 03:52 PM
My interest in this is lagging, but I played a bit more today. About 80% of the way to level 60.

One thing pissing me off is the amount of side quests that are stuck on my list but dead. Return to the Jarl of Whatever - nothing. Slay the dragon wherever - no dragon ever shows up. Kill the bandits are a specific location - nothing. I also have a thieves guild quest to rob a house in Whiterun that I can no longer access after the battle. I also have a specific quest where I character I need to interact with got killed in a random dragon attack, so that one's stuck, too. ****ers.

I think I'm just going to ram through the main quest and call it a day. Go back and finish off the last ME2 mod and wait for the next installment of that which comes out in March.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253778) bro. Get it now!

Frazod
02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253778) bro. Get it now!

I'm still playing Skyrim, just not daily. Still haven't finished the main quest, although I'm rapidly running out of shit to do. Up to level 64 or 65 now, just finally maxed out my destructive magic.

But I may give this new game a look. Should tide me over until ME3 hits.

The Franchise
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
I've been watching character build videos on YouTube and I think I'm going to start a new character and try and build it the "right" way. My Dark Elf right now is pretty much has no direction. I've just been adding shit as I go along.

Frazod
02-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Finished the main quest.

Seems like I should at least get a fucking parade or something.

And with that, I think my Skyrim days are done. Great game - that $60 lasted me a long time. :thumb:

Stanley Nickels
02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Finished the main quest.

Seems like I should at least get a ****ing parade or something.

And with that, I think my Skyrim days are done. Great game - that $60 lasted me a long time. :thumb:

I used to have all sorts of issues finishing quests. If you're playing on Steam, you can repair the cache/directory by clicking on Skyrim, choosing "Properties", and it's somewhere in that menu. That fixed all my quest issues for me.

QuikSsurfer
02-09-2012, 09:03 AM
creators pack is available with a high res texture pack for PC users

http://www.creationkit.com/Main_Page

Bethesda Creation Kit tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gDKivlGmia4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-OMWk0mQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Twdld0tLc

Frazod
02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I used to have all sorts of issues finishing quests. If you're playing on Steam, you can repair the cache/directory by clicking on Skyrim, choosing "Properties", and it's somewhere in that menu. That fixed all my quest issues for me.

Cool. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Discuss Thrower
02-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Really? I thought all you guys did was spank each other with paddles and bang that one sorority notorious for sleeping around. There's always one.

Nope on the paddling, and girls at our school are normally prudes who won't sleep with youre dating them. We drink a lot though, so that's nice.

Anyway, I'm up to level 14 after the bitch of a time grinding the College of Winterhold's quest until 5am yesterday. Imperial Battlemage type.

The Franchise
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Finished the main quest.

Seems like I should at least get a fucking parade or something.

Stormcloaks or Imperials?

Frazod
02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Stormcloaks or Imperials?

Stormcloaks. I'm a rebel at heart. :D

I enjoyed the fact that in the aftermath, all the deposed jarls and their primary servants were exiled to the basement in the Blue Palace in Solitude. Every now and then I'd go down there just to listen to their butthurt insults.

The Franchise
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
So....you aren't planning on going back through with a different character?

Frazod
02-09-2012, 11:09 AM
So....you aren't planning on going back through with a different character?

Not planning on it, at least not immediately. And this is my second character; I took up my old one up to level 50 before starting over. I've got well over 300 hours of playing time in.

I may pick up Kingdoms of Amulur tonight.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2012, 11:12 AM
sniper is great to start with but is getting hard pretty dam quick.

how much difference can you make in damage with high level smithing?

If i don't get a sneak attack hit i'm having DPS issues

Frazod
02-09-2012, 11:46 AM
sniper is great to start with but is getting hard pretty dam quick.

how much difference can you make in damage with high level smithing?

If i don't get a sneak attack hit i'm having DPS issues

Smithing and enchanting are key early stats to build - both for added protective items and money making. It is especially difficult to get enchanting maxed (as in fucking takes forever), but keep at it and sell the stuff you don't need. When you get to 100 you can select the dual enchanting perk.

Pants
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Stormcloaks. I'm a rebel at heart. :D

I enjoyed the fact that in the aftermath, all the deposed jarls and their primary servants were exiled to the basement in the Blue Palace in Solitude. Every now and then I'd go down there just to listen to their butthurt insults.

I liked the Jarl of that first town (with the barrels by the smith). What ended up happening to him? I hated that dude in charge of Stormcloaks, though, hopefully his face gets bashed in.

Frazod
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I liked the Jarl of that first town (with the barrels by the smith). What ended up happening to him? I hated that dude in charge of Stormcloaks, though, hopefully his face gets bashed in.

He ends up in the castle basement, feeling butthurt and betrayed. He is somewhat conflicted, but in the end sides with the Imperials.

And Ulfric is a dick, but in the end I played it the way I would have were it real - the Imperials crawled in bed with the elves, and I just couldn't reconcile that.

Pants
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
He ends up in the castle basement, feeling butthurt and betrayed. He is somewhat conflicted, but in the end sides with the Imperials.

And Ulfric is a dick, but in the end I played it the way I would have were it real - the Imperials crawled in bed with the elves, and I just couldn't reconcile that.

That sucks. And yeah, I, too, chose to side with the Stormcloaks. Lesser evil and all that.

Frazod
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I picked up Kingdom of Amular tonight - downloading it now.

SnakeXJones
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I picked up Skyrim finally since its on sale started as an Imperial any tips?

Bump
03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I picked up Skyrim finally since its on sale started as an Imperial any tips?

blacksmithing to 100. The trick is to buy iron ignots and leather from a blacksmith and make a shit ton of iron daggers to get the skill up. It's a great game to get lost in, I'm 80 hours in and not even halfway through.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
blacksmithing to 100. The trick is to buy iron ignots and leather from a blacksmith and make a shit ton of iron daggers to get the skill up. It's a great game to get lost in, I'm 80 hours in and not even halfway through.

Oh, this is brand new news. Thanks!

Bump
03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh, this is brand new news. Thanks!

ya, I was talking to someone who said they just picked up the game and asked for tips. Go away.

Fire Me Boy!
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
ya, I was talking to someone who said they just picked up the game and asked for tips. Go away.

ROFL

ThaVirus
03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
So my friend got this on Craigslist from some dude for $20. Played for 2 hours then put it right back on Craigslist. He's an idiot though and I don't hold his opinion in high esteem. Shudd I cop dis or wut?

Buck
03-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Went to play Skyrim for the first time in a while and saw this

http://i.imgur.com/JqXBx.jpg

Drivers were updated so now I'm uninstalling and reinstalling. Sucks! Gonna have to wait like an hour before I can play.

Buck
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
That didnt fix it. Anyone have ideas on what the issue could be?

Buck
03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Other games work fine. Maybe it's a mod I have that's fucking it up.

Buck
03-17-2012, 03:20 PM
So I found out it was a driver issue, but I can't fucking figure out how to roll back my driver.

Setsuna
03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
LOL you fucked.

Mr. Laz
03-18-2012, 01:47 PM
So I found out it was a driver issue, but I can't fucking figure out how to roll back my driver.
video card driver?

you can uninstall those in your device manager screen ... i believe there is a little box to check to "remove drivers from system" when you do it.

Then you can just install whatever driver version you want.

Buck
03-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah I figured it out. Played the game for like an hour and got bored as shit. It was a really fun game to play, but it just bores me now.

lewdog
03-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah I figured it out. Played the game for like an hour and got bored as shit. It was a really fun game to play, but it just bores me now.

My girlfriend plays on the PS3. She was so excited to get this game, played it for about 2-3 weeks when it came out, hasn't touched it in well over a month.

Seems boring to me too.

Frazod
03-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Started a new character last night - I don't know how far I'll take it, but for now I'm just enjoying playing this with the graphics maxed out on the new computer. :thumb:

Buck
03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
New computer?

What are the specs?

Frazod
03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
New computer?

What are the specs?

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600K
64-bit
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)
1 TB Hard Drive
8G RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Buck
03-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Jesus Christ.

Enjoy hi-quality PC Gaming for the next few years.

Mr. Laz
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600K
64-bit
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)
1 TB Hard Drive
8G RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Tinice

just think how fast you can look at pr0n with that thang.

:D

loochy
03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Went to play Skyrim for the first time in a while and saw this

http://i.imgur.com/JqXBx.jpg

Drivers were updated so now I'm uninstalling and reinstalling. Sucks! Gonna have to wait like an hour before I can play.

I got the new AMD drivers today and guess what...I got this too. All of the textures are screwed up.

Buck
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
I got the new AMD drivers today and guess what...I got this too. All of the textures are screwed up.

Yep, I had to revert. It was a bitch.

Imon Yourside
03-21-2012, 10:08 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ayeKXNbsvuo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ayeKXNbsvuo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Frazod
03-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Jesus Christ.

Enjoy hi-quality PC Gaming for the next few years.

Yeah, I figure about three. That's how long it took the last one to go from kick ass to lame.

Imon Yourside
03-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I figure about three. That's how long it took the last one to go from kick ass to lame.

I've had my I7 system for about a year and a half and it still rox.

I7 860 socket 1156
8 gb ram
dual 500 gb 7200 rpm raid 0
win 7 64 bit
Asus 7770 vidcard (brand new) just upgraded from 5770

System screams!

loochy
03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Yep, I had to revert. It was a bitch.

After a 3 second Google search I learned that reverting is not necessary. Just disable the in game anti aliasing and control the AA from the catalyst control panel instead. Problem fixed.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm back totally hooked on this again. The new computer has indeed made the difference. No more hopscotching around stuff that regularly made the game crash before. It's great. :thumb:

The Franchise
03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm powering through Kingdoms of Amular right now....but when I get done....it'll be back to Skyrim.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I added the mods that give the women huge boobs and skimpy armor. That's fun. The blacksmith in Whiterun has a rack like Morganna now. :D

loochy
03-26-2012, 09:18 AM
I added the mods that give the women huge boobs and skimpy armor. That's fun. The blacksmith in Whiterun has a rack like Morganna now. :D

I always had a thing for her anyways. I buy and sell from her before I ever go to that old douche at skyforge.

Frazod
03-26-2012, 10:30 AM
I always had a thing for her anyways. I buy and sell from her before I ever go to that old douche at skyforge.

I think most people use that area as their primary base of operations. The two barrels work for storage until you buy a house and you have everything you need in the immediate area to craft and sell stuff. The skyforge guy is out of the way. And annoying.

RustShack
03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I was hooked but I haven't really touched this in over a month now either.

loochy
03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I was hooked but I haven't really touched this in over a month now either.

I've almost run out of quests. I've done all of the misc quests and the only large quests I have left are Dark Brotherhood and then the main story line. I hope I can discover some new ones soon.

Dragons have become ridiculously easy to kill (once they land) and are not a thrill or a threat anymore. I just run up and bam bam bam they are dead before they can take off again.

QuikSsurfer
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
LOL - Skyrim Hoarders:

<iframe src="http://www.collegehumor.com/e/6747386" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy!
03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I was watching my wife play the other day. She went into the mage's college and one of the rooms and I saw piles and piles of shit she'd dropped in there. Just strewn about the entire place.

I made her pick it all up and put it in a barrel. It was ridiculous how much shit was all over the floors. ROFL

The Franchise
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I was watching my wife play the other day. She went into the mage's college and one of the rooms and I saw piles and piles of shit she'd dropped in there. Just strewn about the entire place.

I made her pick it all up and put it in a barrel. It was ridiculous how much shit was all over the floors. ROFL

ROFL

Frazod
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Good thing this isn't a multi-player game - she'd have probably killed you with a fireball. :D

Fire Me Boy!
03-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Good thing this isn't a multi-player game - she'd have probably killed you with a fireball. :D

It was actually pretty hysterical. She was complaining while I was telling her to pick it up. A short time later, she dropped a bowl in some one of the town halls and some lady comes running over with it telling her not to trash up their building. ROFL

Frazod
04-04-2012, 08:05 AM
A milestone of sorts - last night I completed my 400th hour of game play. Latest character is now up to level 53.

Good thing they didn't have games like this when I was a kid - I'd probably still be a virgin. :D

loochy
04-04-2012, 08:18 AM
A milestone of sorts - last night I completed my 400th hour of game play. Latest character is now up to level 53.

Good thing they didn't have games like this when I was a kid - I'd probably still be a virgin. :D

The world might be a better place if unruly and unwise teenagers focused their attention on video games instead of poontang.

patteeu
04-04-2012, 08:58 AM

400th hour? Whatever your youth was like, you must be a born-again virgin now. :)

Frazod
04-04-2012, 09:09 AM
400th hour? Whatever your youth was like, you must be a born-again virgin now. :)

Too bad there's no meter for the amount of time one spends arguing politics in the DC forum......

patteeu
04-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Too bad there's no meter for the amount of time one spends arguing politics in the DC forum......

I'll never catch you in the posts per day statistic. Is your wife a nun, or just a none?

loochy
04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I'll never catch you in the posts per day statistic. Is your wife a nun, or just a none?

or a hot piece?

patteeu
04-04-2012, 09:56 AM
or a hot piece?

Certainly an unsatisfied, hot piece is a possibility.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I just don't sleep much.

loochy
04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I just don't sleep much.

Sleep is amazing. You should try it.

Frazod
04-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Sleep is amazing. You should try it.

I'll sleep when I'm dead.

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
LOL - I know a few of you will appreciate this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YOxVjbGvUpI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

QuikSsurfer
04-12-2012, 09:33 AM
LOL - I know a few of you will appreciate this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YOxVjbGvUpI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bump

The Franchise
04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
You bumped this why? Obviously no one found it funny enough to comment on it.

QuikSsurfer
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
You bumped this why? Obviously no one found it funny enough to comment on it.

Don't be a faggot.

DBOSHO
04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Gamestop was running a sale so I snatched up oblivion. For some reason, I like it more than skyrim. It was the first game I bought with my xbox in 07

whoman69
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Gamestop was running a sale so I snatched up oblivion. For some reason, I like it more than skyrim. It was the first game I bought with my xbox in 07

Should get it for the PC where you can add mods. I just started a new Oblivion character as I never played an elf. I tried as atronoch and didn't like that, especially since when you start there are few who are using magic against you. I also don't like the idea of sitting there and taking shots with 100% weakness to magic.

Hammock Parties
04-13-2012, 05:41 PM
I feel so bad for not finishing my main questline.

drunkie
04-13-2012, 06:36 PM

i think oblivion is far better then skyrim. it was no where near as easy as skyrim was. there was much more depth to the quests. in skyrim you become the guild leader an people don't notice or care they threat you the same as always. in oblivion there is a very clear change in everyone attitude when you become the leader. alot of quests you had to redo a few times cuz they was hard an you failed. skyrim you never die an never fail a quest everyone was just to easy. skyrim was a great game still but it had alot of holes.

whoman69
04-13-2012, 06:54 PM
i think oblivion is far better then skyrim. it was no where near as easy as skyrim was. there was much more depth to the quests. in skyrim you become the guild leader an people don't notice or care they threat you the same as always. in oblivion there is a very clear change in everyone attitude when you become the leader. alot of quests you had to redo a few times cuz they was hard an you failed. skyrim you never die an never fail a quest everyone was just to easy. skyrim was a great game still but it had alot of holes.

gotta dumb it down and make it easier for the console crowd

pr_capone
04-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I feel so bad for not finishing my main questline.

I don't... that game sot stupid repetitive after a while.

Guild Wars 2 is where its at baby!!!!

Frazod
04-13-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm tinkering more and more with the mods.

When Lydia looks like this, she's not nearly as annoying. :D I also found a mod that allows followers to level up, so now her stats are basically at the same level as my character. Loaded out with Daedric armor and weapons, I really don't need to worry about her dying anymore.

whoman69
04-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm tinkering more and more with the mods.

When Lydia looks like this, she's not nearly as annoying. :D I also found a mod that allows followers to level up, so now her stats are basically at the same level as my character. Loaded out with Daedric armor and weapons, I really don't need to worry about her dying anymore.

Sounds like a good mod. Wonder if they have something similar for Oblivion that you could use for the KOTN followers.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/iqhf5u.jpg

Bump
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
I just finished the main story and all of the factions except getting the thieves guild to it's former glory. I still have 10 achievements left though...

QuikSsurfer
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Zhvhs.jpg

Exclusive to 360 for the first 30 days -- that's all the news.

Bump
05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
awesome, I finished the mains story just in time

Imon Yourside
05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
more here

http://www.nfohump.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58479&start=15420

Frazod
05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Sucks that they're holding off on the PC version. A month from now I'll be playing Diablo III.

whoman69
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I'll probably wait for the GOTY edition. Should have a computer to handle it by then.

Mr. Laz
05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Sucks that they're holding off on the PC version. A month from now I'll be playing Diablo III.
don't you mean 2 weeks?

PBJ PBJ

Frazod
05-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I'll probably wait for the GOTY edition. Should have a computer to handle it by then.

Smart move. Playing this game on an older/crappy computer SUCKS. I'd sometimes have 10 or 15 crashes a day, now, almost none.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
don't you mean 2 weeks?

PBJ PBJ

Well, I'm sure I'll STILL be playing it. :D

patteeu
05-02-2012, 01:18 PM
If I were going to only play one, do you recommend Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning? I haven't played an RPG since Neverwinter Nights 1.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
If I were going to only play one, do you recommend Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning? I haven't played an RPG since Neverwinter Nights 1.

If you have a good computer, Skyrim.

If not, Kingdoms of Amular.

But they're both great games. I'd rate Skyim at 9.5, Kingdoms at an 8.

Mr. Laz
05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
depends on why you haven't play a RPG in awhile

imo ...

Amular is more RPG and action fighting game
Skyrim is a RPG and strategy fighting game

both have exploring and constructing aspects ... both are big,big games.

amalur has more of a anime look to the characters and monsters
skyrim is more realistic

skyrim has a tradition fighting scheme
amalur is a bit like torchlight and has some new aspects

:shrug:

patteeu
05-02-2012, 01:32 PM
depends on why you haven't play a RPG in awhile

imo ...

Amular is more RPG and action fighting game
Skyrim is a RPG and strategy fighting game

both have exploring and constructing aspects ... both are big,big games.

amalur has more of a anime look to the characters and monsters
skyrim is more realistic

skyrim has a tradition fighting scheme
amalur is a bit like torchlight and has some new aspects

:shrug:

I don't know why I haven't played one in a while, really. Part of it is because I had a Macbook (I now have a PC that can handle either of these games), part of it is because I spent most of my free computer time on ChiefsPlanet or playing Starcraft with friends, and part of it is I didn't want to spend the money.

Which one did you enjoy more?

Mr. Laz
05-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't know why I haven't played one in a while, really. Part of it is because I had a Macbook (I now have a PC that can handle either of these games), part of it is because I spent most of my free computer time on ChiefsPlanet or playing Starcraft with friends, and part of it is I didn't want to spend the money.

Which one did you enjoy more?
edge to skyrim but both are enjoyable

skyrim definitely has more of a 'grind' aspect ... you have to work for it.

Skyrim is also harder, you can die frequently if you get reckless.

skyrim has more NPC interaction stuff

Amalur is a adventure fighting game ... almost hack and slash. For me the NPC interaction was pretty irrelevant.

Amalur is still unique and very fun though

Frazod
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
edge to skyrim but both are enjoyable

skyrim definitely has more of a 'grind' aspect ... you have to work for it.

Skyrim is also harder, you can die frequently if you get reckless.

skyrim has more NPC interaction stuff

Amalur is a adventure fighting game ... almost hack and slash. For me the NPC interaction was pretty irrelevant.

Amalur is still unique and very fun though

Pretty good analysis. If you're serious about Skyrim, it's challenging. You have to put a lot of thought into the skills you develop and how they interact with each other. The leveling system is fairly annoying, especially at higher levels. You don't advance based on experience points - you advance based on using skills. If you favor one specific type of character, eventually it takes a really long time to level up in skills related to character (for instance, stealth and archery for a rogue), and eventually if you want to keep leveling at all you'll have to completely change your style of play. The good thing about it is that it forces you to diversify your character and you have no choice but to learn other aspects of the game. The bad thing is, I'd rather play the way the way I want to and advance on points alone.

That's really my only serious complaint about the game itself.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Conversely, one of my favorite things about Kingdoms is the character "do-over" feature. If you want to change things up, you can reset all your skills from scratch. That's awesome. I wish somebody would come out with a mod that allows you to do that in Skyrim.

Huffmeister
05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Pretty good analysis. If you're serious about Skyrim, it's challenging. You have to put a lot of thought into the skills you develop and how they interact with each other. The leveling system is fairly annoying, especially at higher levels. You don't advance based on experience points - you advance based on using skills. If you favor one specific type of character, eventually it takes a really long time to level up in skills related to character (for instance, stealth and archery for a rogue), and eventually if you want to keep leveling at all you'll have to completely change your style of play. The good thing about it is that it forces you to diversify your character and you have no choice but to learn other aspects of the game. The bad thing is, I'd rather play the way the way I want to and advance on points alone.

That's really my only serious complaint about the game itself.

Does Skyrim have skill atrophy? Ie, if you build up a skill, then not use it, does it start to drop?

I've been wanting to try Skyrim, but am waiting for the price to drop a bit. Steam had it on sale for $40 a while back, and I've been kicking myself for not getting it then.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Does Skyrim have skill atrophy? Ie, if you build up a skill, then not use it, does it start to drop?

I've been wanting to try Skyrim, but am waiting for the price to drop a bit. Steam had it on sale for $40 a while back, and I've been kicking myself for not getting it then.

No. I think if you go to jail some of your skills drop off, but I've never done that.

That would royally piss me off.

Bump
05-02-2012, 03:13 PM
If you have a good computer, Skyrim.

If not, Kingdoms of Amular.

But they're both great games. I'd rate Skyim at 9.5, Kingdoms at an 8.

yeah, that.

I really liked both, but Skyrim has the edge.

Imon Yourside
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
To be honest Skyrim is just fun to walk around in, absolutely breathtaking.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
To be honest Skyrim is just fun to walk around in, absolutely breathtaking.

It really is. I'm on my third character now, have well over 500 hours of playing time in, and I'm still finding new places. Came across a bandit tavern in remote ruin that had been overrun by falmer (they had broken through a wall in the back). The place was littered with dead bandits and one live one that had hid in a locked room (of course he attacked me). I rescued a couple of bandits that the falmer had taken captive, and then they of course attacked me. And after I killed off all the falmer and was exiting, a bunch of bandits wandered in, said "What the hell?" and then THEY attacked me. Fuckers. LMAO

Imon Yourside
05-02-2012, 04:00 PM
It really is. I'm on my third character now, have well over 500 hours of playing time in, and I'm still finding new places. Came across a bandit tavern in remote ruin that had been overrun by falmer (they had broken through a wall in the back). The place was littered with dead bandits and one live one that had hid in a locked room (of course he attacked me). I rescued a couple of bandits that the falmer had taken captive, and then they of course attacked me. And after I killed off all the falmer and was exiting, a bunch of bandits wandered in, said "What the hell?" and then THEY attacked me. ****ers. LMAO

Lolz, i still hate those "1 shot to the gonads and yer dead" giants. You think you can get around them and then your nuts explode and you see your lifeless corpse tossed about like a ragdoll.

Frazod
05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Lolz, i still hate those "1 shot to the gonads and yer dead" giants. You think you can get around them and then your nuts explode and you see your lifeless corpse tossed about like a ragdoll.

I've learned not to fuck with them until I'm at least up to Level 20.

whoman69
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
If someone were to build a mod which would put the best aspects of each game (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim), what would be the parts you would include from each game?

I didn't play much of Morrowind because I hated the combat system. Having to swing a certain way and having a certain chance of a spell failing were game breakers for me. When you have an epic battle to beat even the simplest of creatures and die facing off a simple thief, something is wrong. I've been told they dumbed down Skyrim as far as skills and attributes, but to me it sounds like they made it so that each character can be unique at the end. In Oblivion you had every character maxed out as a fighter, mage or thief. IMO they should have let the racial bonuses add to the maximums.

QuikSsurfer
05-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I've been modding the shit outta skyrim for the past 3 hours. High res textures, skimpy armor (for the ladies), new map (with roads), and this beauty:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/scyzmJB92Jg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The design of this ship is absolutely astounding.

Mr. Laz
05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
ROFLROFL

true .. it's the AOE on the club hits

it's funny because you can feel it coming just like it's real life. You get too close or the dam giant finds a way up to your rock perch so you turn to run. You know it's too late, but you run and run, try to weave and look for someplace to hide or jump ..... then you don't run. :(

Imon Yourside
05-02-2012, 11:12 PM
ROFLROFL

true .. it's the AOE on the club hits

it's funny because you can feel it coming just like it's real life. You get too close or the dam giant finds a way up to your rock perch so you turn to run. You know it's too late, but you run and run, try to weave and look for someplace to hide or jump ..... then you don't run. :(

They look slow and plodding and almost friendly, then thwack out of nowhere your life force is gone.

Imon Yourside
05-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Anyone like the SkyUi?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863#content

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdDU8loGB1I&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdDU8loGB1I&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Bump
05-03-2012, 12:25 AM
damn, 2 of my achievements don't want to pop. I did all of the shit for bound until death and darkness returns, but no achievements. I looked it up and I remember doing all that. fuck

QuikSsurfer
05-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Anyone like the SkyUi?

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdDU8loGB1I&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdDU8loGB1I&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

love it

Mr. Laz
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Anyone like the SkyUi?

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtpplication/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
wow ... nice

I hope Bethesda sees it and are embarrassed by their half-assed port UI

Imon Yourside
05-03-2012, 09:56 AM
portal gun looks like fun!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VuqeL9gwSQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

QuikSsurfer
05-03-2012, 09:57 AM
portal gun looks like fun!

What mods are you currently running?

Imon Yourside
05-03-2012, 10:35 AM
What mods are you currently running?

Deadly spell impacts
EDWS Enhanced weather system
enhanced blood textures
enhanced distant terrain
enhanced night skyrim
fur magister
glorious grasses
horse whisper horse calling mod
leondirs house
lonely captain player home
lush grass
lush trees
matso immersive rain
matso immersive sun
no falling damage
overlook tower player home
realistic lighting with customization
redefined dungeons wip
riverwood huge enhancements
scarlets mobile fortress
sky ui
skyrim script extender
skyrim flora overhaul
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures
sounds of skyhrim the dungeons
superjump
terrain bump texture pack
ufo ultimate follower overhaul
W.A.T.E.R. water and terrain enhancement

and you?

QuikSsurfer
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Deadly spell impacts
EDWS Enhanced weather system
enhanced blood textures
enhanced distant terrain
enhanced night skyrim
fur magister
glorious grasses
horse whisper horse calling mod
leondirs house
lonely captain player home
lush grass
lush trees
matso immersive rain
matso immersive sun
no falling damage
overlook tower player home
realistic lighting with customization
redefined dungeons wip
riverwood huge enhancements
scarlets mobile fortress
sky ui
skyrim script extender
skyrim flora overhaul
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures
sounds of skyhrim the dungeons
superjump
terrain bump texture pack
ufo ultimate follower overhaul
W.A.T.E.R. water and terrain enhancement

and you?

Confident ENB
Sky UI
ApachiiSkyHair
Killer Keos Skimpy Armor Set
The Dance of Death
Water and Terrain enhancement
A quality world map w/roads
Skyrim HD 2k textures
The Asteria (phenomenal - totally in love)

Huffmeister
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I bit the bullet last night and got off of Steam, but haven't played it yet. Any pointers for a noob? Any must-have mods?

QuikSsurfer
05-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I bit the bullet last night and got off of Steam, but haven't played it yet. Any pointers for a noob? Any must-have mods?

Steam Work Shop really makes downloading and installing mods easy. I don't have the steam version but this should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNq28nrGA2s

Imon Yourside
05-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Steam Work Shop really makes downloading and installing mods easy. I don't have the steam version but this should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNq28nrGA2s

I wonder if there is anyway to get the Portal gun mod without having the steam version. I can't find the mod on skyrim nexus.

QuikSsurfer
05-16-2012, 08:25 AM
New tower defense mod is up -- looks really fuckin cool. I love tower defense! Link to download is in video description.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b6XZW7QuKio?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Huffmeister
05-16-2012, 08:55 AM
I know I'm waaaaay late to the party, but I started playing a couple of weeks ago and have been having a blast. I'm playing a wood-elf thief (level 17), and I love sneaking around and one-shotting bandits. But I keep forgetting that I can fight effectively with one-handed weapons.

A couple of nights ago, I was doing the Brotherhood quest where you have to get the artifact with Fargas. Once I got the artifact and the draugr started popping out of all the tombs, I kept getting killed because I was trying to shoot them with my bow while they swarmed on Fargas. He would eventually go down and they would swarm on me. Finally, I got smart and switched to my one-handed axe and shield, and went to town on them while Fargas tanked. Much, much easier.

Now I'm working my way through the Thieve's Guild quests, looking to get some decent thief equipment.

loochy
05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
I just finished the main quest and I'm a bit disappointed. It was too easy.

Anyhow, does anyone know of some good mods or packages that add more interesting and involving quests?

The Franchise
06-14-2012, 10:29 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GXP6D9fd4ME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dude talks about the DLC.

When the fuck did you become able to attack while riding a horse?

Frazod
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GXP6D9fd4ME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dude talks about the DLC.

When the fuck did you become able to attack while riding a horse?

Holy crap. I'll have to check that out. I never use horses because you have to dismount to attack anything.

BTW, you can kill Shadowmere if you dragon shout him off a cliff. I kind of regret doing that now. :D

The Franchise
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Ok....so apparently I should've watched the entire video.

It's a beta test of the mount attack that was only out for PC at that time....and possibly the XBox. You couldn't do magic attacks from the mount though.

Frazod
06-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Ok....so apparently I should've watched the entire video.

It's a beta test of the mount attack that was only out for PC at that time....and possibly the XBox. You couldn't do magic attacks from the mount though.

Bow and sword would be pretty cool, though. I'm going to look for that when I get home tonight and may start a new character. Haven't really played anything since getting so annoyed by the new Diablo game.

QuikSsurfer
06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Holy crap. I'll have to check that out. I never use horses because you have to dismount to attack anything.

BTW, you can kill Shadowmere if you dragon shout him off a cliff. I kind of regret doing that now. :D

lol WHY????

Frazod
06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
lol WHY????

He jumped in front of me as I was dragon shouting an attacker and went over the cliff with it. I figured he just materialize the next time I fast traveled somewhere but he didn't. Went back and found his corpse at the base of the cliff.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 12:31 PM
He jumped in front of me as I was dragon shouting an attacker and went over the cliff with it. I figured he just materialize the next time I fast traveled somewhere but he didn't. Went back and found his corpse at the base of the cliff.

I have resurrected countless steeds through console commands. :D

Frazod
06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
I have resurrected countless steeds through console commands. :D

I never use horses. Don't like the view limitation when riding, don't like dismounting for combat, don't like the way they get in the way during combat. I'll fast travel somewhere and he'll be there, but I just wander off and leave him.

whoman69
06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
I never use horses. Don't like the view limitation when riding, don't like dismounting for combat, don't like the way they get in the way during combat. I'll fast travel somewhere and he'll be there, but I just wander off and leave him.

I use horses to fast travel to a safe location and then go off on foot where I need. That way I get there faster in game time.

Frazod
06-15-2012, 08:51 AM
BTW, the horse combat thing is already in the game - I guess it was part of some automatic upgrade. Very cool, especially for hunting stuff that will typically outrun you on foot. :thumb:

Huffmeister
06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
My characters is a level 35 thief-assassin. I've been putting most of my perks into Sneak and Archery, although I've been having to wait for my Archery level to raise up so that I can put in perks.

Anyway, I've noticed that the Archery perk that slows time while aiming doesn't seem to work anymore. This makes it pretty difficult when trying to hit moving targets. Anyone know why it would stop working? I suppose it could be mod related. Tonight I'll try to disable all the mods and see if it's still broken.

Fire Me Boy!
06-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Anyone pick up Dawnguard today? Watching my wife play as I type this...

QuikSsurfer
06-26-2012, 09:36 PM

I will in 30 days... stupid fucking timed exclusives.

ReynardMuldrake
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM

I like it so far. Haven't played it much yet though.

Fire Me Boy!
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/28/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-dawnguard-review/view-all/

Dawnguard finally brings a sense of urgency to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (review)

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dawnguard-1-e1340882084421.jpg

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an amazing role-playing game, but it sometimes lacks cohesiveness in its storytelling. Killing dragons and consuming their souls in effort to thwart an all-out fire (or ice) lizard takeover is a fine premise for an epic adventure, but I often found myself ignoring the main story in favor of rooting out dangerous enchanted artifacts and exploring Dwarven ruins.

That isn’t to say that Skyrim is boring. If it was, I wouldn’t have logged nearly 200 hours playing the game. It’s just that Skyrim’s main quest doesn’t have a real sense of urgency. Sure, you can work diligently to uncover why all the long-dead dragons are coming back, but you have very little incentive to see this plotline through the moment you stumble across a talking dog who wants you to help his demonic master.

Dawnguard, the first piece of downloadable content for Skyrim, takes a different approach to storytelling than the main game. Harkon, a powerful vampire lord, wants to find a set of Elder Scrolls and use its power to end the tyranny of the sun. Since the Dragonborn is Skyrim’s resident hunter of baddies who want to change the world to suit themselves, you can join the Dawnguard guild of vampire hunters.

Or, if you’re feeling particularly evil, you can sign up with the vampires.

Either way, terrible, sun-ending villainy is going down, and you’re caught in the middle.

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/vampirelord-e1340882396578.jpg

WHAT YOU’LL LIKE

A sense of urgency

Perhaps it’s because the DLC revolves around a clearly stated premise, but the related quests simply feel much more connected and important than many in the main storyline. When your character reaches level 10, guards and townsfolk throughout Skyrim will make mention of people assembling a Dawnguard, or group of vampire slayers. The hunters will take just about anyone who wants to join, so you can travel to a hidden keep outside Riften to trigger the related quests.

Quickly, you find out that a powerful clan of vampires is growing increasingly more active and that the Dawnguard might be the only defense against whatever it’s planning.

What Dawnguard does particularly well is tying itself into the rest of the world by adding new threads to existing side quests. Unlocking items and conversations pertaining to the new content often means exploring easily overlooked dungeons already in Skyrim. This gives the threat against the sun a much larger presence and fleshes out a few odd-ball missions that felt a bit rushed before.

Everything simply feels connected, and a sense of urgency rises from wanting to see how the origin of the blind snow elves, vampires, and a Daedric Prince are all involved in the threat against sunlight.

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dawnguard-4-e1340882134366.jpg

Vampire and werewolf perks

Before Dawnguard, contracting lycanthropy or sanguinare vampiris was often more of an annoyance than a potentially useful gameplay mechanic. As a vampire, the longer you go without feeding on humans, the more horrifying you look. While you also get more powerful, advanced vampirism turns pretty much everyone hostile when they see you. Being a werewolf comes with the awesome bonus of turning into a massive killing machine, but it also takes away any bonuses you get from sleeping and can only be activated once a day.

Dawnguard introduces a new perk system that rewards you for using your monster powers and allows for modest customization. As you claw and feast your way through opponents, you’ll unlock skill points to use in a separate perks tree. If you follow the new Vampire Lord ability also added in Dawnguard, you gain the power to turn into a hulking half-bat creature capable of using blood magic.

Having a separate perk tree is great for players who might have maxed out their character’s experience level (Skyrim’s cap is still at 50) or others who are just looking for a new set of skills to work with. You can only access to the new system if you are a werewolf or vampire and turn into your alternate form. Right now, the only way to become a vampire lord is to follow a related quest in Dawnguard — much like how completing a few companion missions grants you access to lycanthropy.

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dawnguard-2-e1340882097758.jpg

Crossbows

Archery is a very useful skill for many play styles, but bows aren’t majorly powerful. The crossbow, which is the weapon of choice for the Dawnguard, adds a major kick to the archery perk. If your character is highly skilled in stealth and ranged attacks, the crossbow gives you a dangerous edge when taking down groups of enemies covertly. It makes much more noise than a bow and takes a lot longer to reload, but it also hits way harder. But since the crossbow takes advantage of all such archery kills, it is possible to speed up the reload time.

The only downside is that crossbows require special bolts, and you’ll probably have to make your own to keep a steady supply going. Other than that, crossbows can provide a critical edge when clearing out dens of vampires and subterranean creatures known as Falmer.

WHAT YOU WON’T LIKE

Cross-country questing

Dawnguard likes to make you travel. While the game takes place in Skyrim’s northern regions, you’ll be exploring pretty much all of the most grueling and mountainous terrain available. Since the DLC also adds several new locations to the world map, you’ll be making those journeys on foot most times.

On several occasions, you’ll travel from the island regions to the northwest of Solitude to another island region east of the Mage College in Winterhold. Even if you fast travel to the nearest known location, you have a fair bit of mountain climbing to do, which is hardly an easy task.

Admittedly, the only way I’ve ever overcome mountains is to buy a horse and use its supernatural ability to break the game’s physics programming by shakily climbing previously inaccessible terrain. Well, nothing’s changed, so be sure to acquire a horse while on your Dawnguard expedition.

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dawnguard-3-e1340882114928.jpg

A new follower

Without getting into too many spoilers, Dawnguard also has a couple of new followers for you to choose from. One of them is a vampire named Serana. She is the most vengeance-filled follower you’ll ever see and gleefully murders anything and anyone who isn’t you. Previous companions were also a bit kill-happy, but Serana takes it to another level by perpetually striking first.

When she isn’t hacking away at vital, quest-related, non-player characters, she’s milling around aimlessly during your conversations and even trapping you in narrow passages until you force her out of your way. She’s reliable and helpful in many ways, but her penchant for massacring everything that could potentially go hostile makes her a dangerous companion if you’ve followed the Vampire Lord plotline.

Her constant milling around can also force NPCs off their designated paths, which can delay a quest’s completion or force you to restart from the beginning.

Serana also has a raise dead spell that is often laughably terrible. Nothing strikes fear in the hearts of vampire hunters like an undead deer prancing toward them.

CONCLUSION

Dawnguard feels like a part of Skyrim in a way that many DLC expansions rarely achieve. Bethesda went the extra mile to tweak existing quests in order to fully integrate the experience, and their effort shows. The constant treks across Skyrim do get a bit old after a while, but the wealth of new powers, information, and intrigue you’ll find along the way more than makes up for the long walks.

The best part of Dawnguard is honestly how much of Skyrim’s lore it explores. Who knew that one crazy vampire’s plan to blot out the sun would reveal so many mysteries and hidden locations?

Score: 85/100

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2012, 08:16 AM
These are some excepts from a review, some things I haven't seen before and haven't encountered yet. I started a new character a week or so ago and am only level 15 right now.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/entertainment-reviews/20104-skyrim-dawnguard-dlc-review.html

Werewolves have their own perk tree, too

Anyone following the promos before the DLC was released knows that they were adding the Vampire Master beastform to the game. Some fans missed that they were also making improvements to the existing Werewolf as well. Both will have their own perk trees (accessed while in beast form only) that level up while you make kills and feed in that form - they do not use the normal level up system. Players that have already maxed out their characters have nothing to fear. You can also continue to be neither if you wish, though you cannot be both. protip: If you have cured your lycanthropy see Aela about getting it again now.

You can now smith arrows and dragon weapons (crossbow bolts, too)

Speaking of new toys, the Dawnguard DLC adds a bunch of them. Let's start with non-plot specific add-ons: Dragonbone weapons are added to the game and they look good. Some fans say the modded versions available to PC users are better looking, I disagree myself but it's not like 1. They can't keep using them and 2. console users really get a choice in the matter. Another small addition that seems huge is the ability to craft arrows has finally been added to the game.

New shouts

New magic and new shouts have been added to the game as well. A couple are vampire/Dawnguard specific spells and I'm sure there are still some left to discover that xBox users are digging for. Mostly it seems that several new summoning spells are added so you can call various creatures to fight for you.

RustShack
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Ghey that I have to wait for PS3.

whoman69
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/28/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-dawnguard-review/view-all/

I find the fault that there is no sense of urgency in Skyrim, is part of every Elder Scrolls game. All of the games are set to your own pace. Otherwise the game would play the same for every character you would run and there would be no variety.

Dave Lane
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3PjBSicSVqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ReynardMuldrake
07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Just got done with Dawnguard. Is it weird that I enjoyed the Aetherium Forge missions more than the vampire missions?

Also, if you're a completionist, getting the Legend achievement requires you to be level 78. [!!!]

Mr. Laz
07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I find the fault that there is no sense of urgency in Skyrim, is part of every Elder Scrolls game. All of the games are set to your own pace. Otherwise the game would play the same for every character you would run and there would be no variety.
I think they should put some time limits within certain quests. Once you trigger some quests you only have X days to locate,complete and return or it's a failed quest and you don't get reward.

This would put some pressure on you without change the 'open flow' of the game. Right now you can just run around triggering a ton of quests and then 'accidently' complete them as you travel around.

Huffmeister
07-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I think they should put some time limits within certain quests. Once you trigger some quests you only have X days to locate,complete and return or it's a failed quest and you don't get reward.

This would put some pressure on you without change the 'open flow' of the game. Right now you can just run around triggering a ton of quests and then 'accidently' complete them as you travel around.

Still on my first play through, I'm level 43 and on the main quest line I've only gotten as far as killing the dragon in Kynesgrove with the chick that you meet at the inn in Riverwood. I've finished The Companions, Thieve's Guild, and Dark Brotherhood quest lines first. And I even went out and found all of the Stones of Barenziah. I don't know what it is, but I feel compelled to do side quests more than the main quest.

Frazod
08-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Dawnguard DLC is now available for PC. Downloading mine now. :thumb:

Setsuna
08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
LOL yall still play this game?

bsp4444
08-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Still on my first play through, I'm level 43 and on the main quest line I've only gotten as far as killing the dragon in Kynesgrove with the chick that you meet at the inn in Riverwood. I've finished The Companions, Thieve's Guild, and Dark Brotherhood quest lines first. And I even went out and found all of the Stones of Barenziah. I don't know what it is, but I feel compelled to do side quests more than the main quest.

I sort of did it the other way around and feel a little disappointed.

loochy
08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
LOL yall still play this game?

I'll probably start playing again. I forgot that the dawnguard pack was out so I might buy it this weekend.

Frazod
08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
I've been playing. In true Bethesda fashion, it's buggy as shit. The biggest one being that I can't turn into a vampire lord when I opt to become a vampire lord, which sort of defeats the purpose of becoming a vampire lord. I assume they'll fix it with a patch eventually. Fucking clowns. :shake:

Other than being stuck playing a non-vampire, I'm enjoying it.

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2012, 08:28 AM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=UUvZHe-SP3xC7DdOk4Ri8QBw&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Hearthfire - Sept. 14. It's Skyrim meets The Sims. Not sure if I'll play it, but my wife will eat that shit up...

bsp4444
08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Hearthfire - Sept. 14. It's Skyrim meets The Sims. Not sure if I'll play it, but my wife will eat that shit up...

Mine too. She enjoys watching me play, and she's always like, "what have you bought for your house in Solitude?". I'll bet she can't wait to arrange furniture in this new pack.

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I started a new character over the weekend and really invested in pickpocketing... holy crap, it's easy and valuable! I don't pay for training anymore!

Setsuna
09-04-2012, 08:22 PM

Mine too. She enjoys watching me play, and she's always like, "what have you bought for your house in Solitude?". I'll bet she can't wait to arrange furniture in this new pack.

LMAO where do yall find these women?

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2012, 08:25 PM

What, women that like video games? Mine actually plays more than me.

QuikSsurfer
09-04-2012, 09:12 PM

It's not that unusual to find women (attractive women) that enjoy video games these days -- well women around my age. We can thank the music/rhythm and motion control (Wii) genre for getting their hands on plastic instruments and controllers for the first time and enjoying it.
Finding a girl that can work dual analog sticks efficiently is more challenging.
I don't play as much as I used to but my lady friend enjoys watching me play games with stories that she can get into. We played through the Silent Hill HD collection a few weeks back and she was totally into it.

htismaqe
09-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I used to play coop games like BGDA and Norrath with my wife on the PS2.

Now I play coop games with my 11-year old daughter. We're just starting Sacred 3 on the PS3.

Imon Yourside
09-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I used to play coop games like BGDA and Norrath with my wife on the PS2.

Now I play coop games with my 11-year old daughter. We're just starting Sacred 3 on the PS3.

Sacred 3? Is that out already?

htismaqe
09-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Sacred 3? Is that out already?

Oops, Sacred 2.

3 is supposed to be out next year.

Imon Yourside
09-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Oops, Sacred 2.

3 is supposed to be out next year.

I bought Sacred 2 and was bored to death by it after a couple of hours. I have reinstalled it several times hoping to enjoy it but I think it sucks. I really enjoyed Sacred 1 but 2 just doesn't do it for me.

Fortunately Realms of Ancient War, Borderlands 2, and Torchlight 2 are all due to be out the 18th through the 22nd. I wish they would have come out at different times though.

htismaqe
09-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I bought Sacred 2 and was bored to death by it after a couple of hours. I have reinstalled it several times hoping to enjoy it but I think it sucks. I really enjoyed Sacred 1 but 2 just doesn't do it for me.

The story is utterly meh. The voice acting is horrible. The quests are mediocre and repetitive. I could never play it alone, especially after just finishing Kingdoms of Amalur recently.

However, as a coop loot fest, it's just plain awesome. Every jar, barrel, and chest drops loot. Every dead mob drops loot. Playing with someone else and collecting stuff is fun, even if the story is thoroughly dull.

Imon Yourside
09-05-2012, 07:42 AM
The story is utterly meh. The voice acting is horrible. The quests are mediocre and repetitive. I could never play it alone, especially after just finishing Kingdoms of Amalur recently.

However, as a coop loot fest, it's just plain awesome. Every jar, barrel, and chest drops loot. Every dead mob drops loot. Playing with someone else and collecting stuff is fun, even if the story is thoroughly dull.

I love the loot stuff, my kind of game. The controls seemed so awkward it was like pulling teeth to get anything done and the story did nothing for me...matter of fact less than nothing as I hated it.

Imon Yourside
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MxHbO1MHXuI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside
10-15-2012, 07:50 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DCZ5pK2Ke9M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside
10-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Lolz and ROFL immigration checkpoint at 1:54

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/19QDRQb5KJw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RustShack
10-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Where the fuck are the PS3 expansions!?

htismaqe
10-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I just bought this. I'm addicted.

Imon Yourside
10-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I just bought this. I'm addicted.

I just like walking around the open world, breathtaking.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 06:51 AM
I finally finished clearing out Bleak Falls Barrow.

I'm just astounded at the SIZE of this game. I've spent 10 hours exploring a few square miles around Riverwood.

Frazod
10-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I finally finished clearing out Bleak Falls Barrow.

I'm just astounded at the SIZE of this game. I've spent 10 hours exploring a few square miles around Riverwood.

Enjoy. I finally burned out after 750+ hours.

And you can have a blast with the mods, too. Females with skimpy armor and big tits FTMFW! :D

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Enjoy. I finally burned out after 750+ hours.

Holy shit!

I played Divinity Ego Draconis for almost a full year (my father-in-law died and we moved in there, though) and spent 6-7 months on Kingdoms of Amalur (240-odd hours in-game).

At this rate, I'll still be playing this game in 2014!

The Franchise
10-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Holy shit!

I played Divinity Ego Draconis for almost a full year (my father-in-law died and we moved in there, though) and spent 6-7 months on Kingdoms of Amalur (240-odd hours in-game).

At this rate, I'll still be playing this game in 2014!

I still haven't finished Amalur. I picked up Amalur and then put it aside for Skyrim. Skyrim has now lost out to Borderlands 2.

Frazod
10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Doesn't help that there's not much out there I'm interested in right now. I'm currently trying to play Assassin's Creed 2, but remembering why I quit playing it when it first came out - because far too much of it is completely fucking annoying. Honestly don't know if I'll last much longer. Didn't like ME3, hated Diablo III, so I tend to fall back to the last Fallout games or Skyrim.

Frazod
10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I still haven't finished Amalur. I picked up Amalur and then put it aside for Skyrim. Skyrim has now lost out to Borderlands 2.

I really enjoyed Amalur, but dropped it when ME3 came out and never started again. Perhaps I should give it another shot.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM

Amalur's combat is far superior to Skyrim's.

At times, I'm enjoying the combat, especially getting a finishing shot on a bandit captain or similarly powerful foe.

At other times, I'm fucking cussing at my TV as I'm getting my ass kicked by giant rats because it's in a stairwell and the collision detection is so piss fucking poor.

Imon Yourside
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Amalur's combat is far superior to Skyrim's.

At times, I'm enjoying the combat, especially getting a finishing shot on a bandit captain or similarly powerful foe.

At other times, I'm ****ing cussing at my TV as I'm getting my ass kicked by giant rats because it's in a stairwell and the collision detection is so piss ****ing poor.

Heh, it's been the same way since the original Arena game. The interface is very clunky.

Swanman
10-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Doesn't help that there's not much out there I'm interested in right now. I'm currently trying to play Assassin's Creed 2, but remembering why I quit playing it when it first came out - because far too much of it is completely ****ing annoying. Honestly don't know if I'll last much longer. Didn't like ME3, hated Diablo III, so I tend to fall back to the last Fallout games or Skyrim.

Haveyou thought about Torchlight 2? I know a lot of folks are loving that as an alternative/replacement for Diablo III.

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Heh, it's been the same way since the original Arena game. The interface is very clunky.

I restarted last night and combat suddenly got WAY easier.

I usually like to play as a straight-up tank. So I picked an orc.

After playing for a while, I found myself settling into a hunter-warrior archetype, dual-wielding axes, sniping with a bow, and sneaking around in light armor.

The orc just didn't feel "right" so I decided to check out some online wikis.

Lo and behold, I was trying to ram a square peg in a round hole. The orc gets starting bonuses using heavy armor and heavy weapons. I'm sure as I leveled, it would have evened out but in the early game, I was starting off in a hole.

I read up on the Redguard and saw that they got starting bonuses with 1-handers, bows, and light armor - PERFECT for what I wanted.

So I started with a Redguard and what do you know? It's WAY easier all of the sudden...

Imon Yourside
10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
I restarted last night and combat suddenly got WAY easier.

I usually like to play as a straight-up tank. So I picked an orc.

After playing for a while, I found myself settling into a hunter-warrior archetype, dual-wielding axes, sniping with a bow, and sneaking around in light armor.

The orc just didn't feel "right" so I decided to check out some online wikis.

Lo and behold, I was trying to ram a square peg in a round hole. The orc gets starting bonuses using heavy armor and heavy weapons. I'm sure as I leveled, it would have evened out but in the early game, I was starting off in a hole.

I read up on the Redguard and saw that they got starting bonuses with 1-handers, bows, and light armor - PERFECT for what I wanted.

So I started with a Redguard and what do you know? It's WAY easier all of the sudden...

The Game engine still needs major improvements, not Bethesda's strong suit but ya what you post is certainly true. :D

Imon Yourside
10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
I really enjoyed Amalur, but dropped it when ME3 came out and never started again. Perhaps I should give it another shot.

Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2...Epic games.

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 11:14 AM
The Game engine still needs major improvements, not Bethesda's strong suit but ya what you post is certainly true. :D

The thing is, since there's no target lock, I find myself strafing - moving, swinging, moving out of the way, etc.

With the orc, I would move and ultimately end up in a spot where I couldn't hit them but they could hit me!

With the Redguard, it's very fluid. I can move side-to-side, swing, move again.

No, the combat isn't great but it's MUCH better than I initially thought.

RustShack
10-25-2012, 11:50 AM
I've only used Redguard before. I just wear heavy armor and carry two axes typically and fuck shit up.

I'm decked out in sexy Dragon armor.

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 07:12 PM
One of the things I'm disappointed with in this game is that lack of any real good explanation of the controls or at least some limited tutorial mode. Even an on-disc manual would have been good (I've gotten used to games not shipping with manuals and this one I bought used so it didn't have one).

I kept seeing references to "power attacks" in the game but had no idea that holding down the attack button actually did something different than tapping it until I read about it on one of the wiki sites.

All of that being said, the discovery of power attacks, fighting in 3rd person view, and the change to Master difficulty has COMPLETELY changed my opinion of the combat in this game.

There is a tower on the mountain north of Riverwood that contains 3 bandits. On default difficulty with my orc, I struggled to beat all 3 but ended up doing it without using any potions. It really felt like button mashing as both myself and AI just flailed away.

I just tried it again on Master and they fought COMPLETELY different. I beat them but it was a real tactical challenge. I did have to use 1 potion. But by NOT button mashing, I got the two melee dudes separated. I'd move in, hit one of them, move around some more. They actually fought DEFENSIVELY instead of just swinging away. They'd block, I'd move, we'd trade a couple blows. A truly tactical battle. And just when I needed a spark to turn the tide, I unleashed a power attack with both axes, felling one of them instantly.

Honestly, some of the most satisfying combat I've had in a roleplaying game.

Dave Lane
10-25-2012, 08:50 PM
One of the things I'm disappointed with in this game is that lack of any real good explanation of the controls or at least some limited tutorial mode. Even an on-disc manual would have been good (I've gotten used to games not shipping with manuals and this one I bought used so it didn't have one).

I kept seeing references to "power attacks" in the game but had no idea that holding down the attack button actually did something different than tapping it until I read about it on one of the wiki sites.

All of that being said, the discovery of power attacks, fighting in 3rd person view, and the change to Master difficulty has COMPLETELY changed my opinion of the combat in this game.

There is a tower on the mountain north of Riverwood that contains 3 bandits. On default difficulty with my orc, I struggled to beat all 3 but ended up doing it without using any potions. It really felt like button mashing as both myself and AI just flailed away.

I just tried it again on Master and they fought COMPLETELY different. I beat them but it was a real tactical challenge. I did have to use 1 potion. But by NOT button mashing, I got the two melee dudes separated. I'd move in, hit one of them, move around some more. They actually fought DEFENSIVELY instead of just swinging away. They'd block, I'd move, we'd trade a couple blows. A truly tactical battle. And just when I needed a spark to turn the tide, I unleashed a power attack with both axes, felling one of them instantly.

The game is incredible thats for sure. I'm playing Oblivion now since I never played it before, and the improvement between IV and V is breath taking.

Sorter
10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Morrowind is still better IMO.

Imon Yourside
10-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Nice I played it only for a while then moved on, I will have to try it again now because this is all new info to me.

Imon Yourside
10-25-2012, 11:04 PM

The world is just so ugly though.

htismaqe
10-26-2012, 05:18 AM

I'm assuming because of the story, right?

It's nice to see Bethesda still releases bug-ridden crapware all these years later. :)

RustShack
10-26-2012, 02:09 PM
So I was sent on a mission to kill a bandit. I get there and I had already previously cleared the place. The bandit is just laying there with the white arrow above him, and there is nothing I can do...

htismaqe
10-26-2012, 02:42 PM
So I was sent on a mission to kill a bandit. I get there and I had already previously cleared the place. The bandit is just laying there with the white arrow above him, and there is nothing I can do...

Did you try searching his body?

QuikSsurfer
10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
The world is just so ugly though.

Overhaul mod still looks good today.

http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/morrowind2011-01.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eESO6.jpg