PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Justin Houston Contract Rumor...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ChiefGator
07-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Yeah, yeah.. Bleacher report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2519854-insider-buzz-justin-houston-wants-jj-watt-type-money-from-chiefs

Says Justin Houston wants a JJ Watt type contract from the Chiefs. Watt signed a six year 100 million deal with Houston.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/j.j.-watt/

Those numbers actually seem fairly reasonable, assuming Houston keeps at his trade. Probably ends up being a little bit less guaranteed, but I could certainly live with that salary cap hit year-by-year.

TimBone
07-11-2015, 02:06 PM
1. I'm not watching a bleacher report video.

2. I'm all for paying Houston, but JJ Watt money is too much money. Even for JJ Watt.

KCrockaholic
07-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Wasn't this reported yesterday by a real source?

It's kinda stupid though. Duh, Houston wants Watt money. It would be news if it said "Houston willing to take less than Watt".

RealSNR
07-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I would take JJ Watt's deal for Houston. The way it's structured it's very affordable for that team. We can absolutely do that.

Mr. Laz
07-11-2015, 02:11 PM
This is a rumor but one that makes sense.

Imo Houston would already have a new contract if he wasn't asking for J.J. Watt money.

Playing him on the tag this year and maybe next, trade him.

Albert and Hudson were the same deal, asking for more money than they are worth.

notorious
07-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Imo Houston would already have a new contract if he wasn't asking for J.J. Watt money.

Albert and Hudson were the same deal, asking for more money than they are worth.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

The Franchise
07-11-2015, 02:16 PM

Great way to lose talent on your team and never get new deals done with future players.

Tribal Warfare
07-11-2015, 02:19 PM
IMO, it's all about what Clark wants to do, and he said he wants Houston as a " Chief for life" he'll get paid like Watt or very close to it.

ThaVirus
07-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Give his ass a $100 million contract and be done with it. The guarantees and structuring are far more important than the total dollar amount.

Watt's extension has his cap hits sitting at $14, $14, $14, $15, $15, $15, and $17 mil over the next several seasons. That's manageable as all balls.

Houston's proven that he's been an ascending guy for years now. He had 10 sacks in 2012 when our team didn't hold a single lead for the first 8 games and our putrid offense couldn't even put up 14 PPG on average. He had 11 sacks in 11 games in 2013 then came back and had another sack in the playoff game. He put up 22 sacks while also being a premier run/pass defender (as far as 3-4 OLBs go) and not committing a single penalty in 2014.

Even if he's peaked he'd be worth a mega contract, and I'm not certain he has..

notorious
07-11-2015, 02:23 PM
He won't change a point spread 1 point, or change our over/under win total for the season.

Since we don't need to spend money on an elite QB, I say pay him anyway. WTF else are the Chiefs going to do?

Mr. Laz
07-11-2015, 02:24 PM
It sucks, but it is what it is.
Yep.

Everyone in KC wants to keep Houston but apparently he is asking for a 100 million-ish contract. Houton is currently the 2nd highest(tag $) paid OLB in the league, so the Chiefs are willing to pay.

Apparently they just aren't willing to pay an epic level contract for an OLB.

J Diddy
07-11-2015, 02:25 PM
He won't change a point spread 1 point, or change our over/under win total for the season.

Since we don't need to spend money on an elite QB, I say pay him anyway. WTF else are the Chiefs going to do?

That's a ludicrious statement. Every player on the field has the ability to change point spread/win total.

Mr. Laz
07-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Give his ass a $100 million contract and be done with it. The guarantees and structuring are far more important than the total dollar amount.

Watt's extension has his cap hits sitting at $14, $14, $14, $15, $15, $15, and $17 mil over the next several seasons. That's manageable as all balls.

Houston's proven that he's been an ascending guy for years now. He had 10 sacks in 2012 when our team didn't hold a single lead for the first 8 games and our putrid offense couldn't even put up 14 PPG on average. He had 11 sacks in 11 games in 2013 then came back and had another sack in the playoff game. He put up 22 sacks while also being a premier run/pass defender (as far as 3-4 OLBs go) and not committing a single penalty in 2014.

Even if he's peaked he'd be worth a mega contract, and I'm not certain he has..
Give bowe's ass a big contract and be done with it. /CP before they realized it was too much for bowe

notorious
07-11-2015, 02:27 PM
That's a ludicrious statement. Every player on the field has the ability to change point spread/win total.

Vegas disagrees.

Eleazar
07-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Give bowe's ass a big contract and be done with it. /CP before they realized it was too much for bowe

Bowe looks to be a declining player though, Houston certainly is not.

RealSNR
07-11-2015, 02:28 PM

So we should never give any of our home-grown studs big contracts?

Mr. Laz
07-11-2015, 02:30 PM
So we should never give any of our home-grown studs big contracts?
I didn't say anything like that.

ThaVirus
Apparently they just aren't willing to pay an epic level contract for an OLB.

They should. In two years, an "epic level" $100 million contract for an elite, 26 year old defender at such an important position will be a steal.

Mario Williams signed a $100 million contract in 2012. Watt just signed one this offseason. Suh also signed one this offseason.

notorious
I still think he doesn't want to be in KC.

Just a gut feeling.

RealSNR
07-11-2015, 02:31 PM
I didn't say anything like that.

But we shouldn't pay Houston because we paid Bowe and he underproduced?

J Diddy
07-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Vegas disagrees.

Vegas is stupid.

RealSNR
07-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Just a gut feeling.

He doesn't know what he's missing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UHVOYBf6Fpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Laz
07-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Bowe looks to be a declining player though, Houston certainly is not.

nobody was saying that Bowe looked to be declining BEFORE he got the big contract

my point is that CP always just says "pay him!!"

Maybe they put Houston at LDE this year and see if he can product like Watt. :shrug:

ThaVirus
07-11-2015, 02:34 PM

That's a ridiculous comparison. We were forced to sign an aging, declining Bowe to that contract because we had absolutely nothing at the WR position. The two situations aren't really comparable.

notorious
07-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Might as well sign him.

Chiefs have the money, and room to sign the other talent in the future. Why not? It's not like we have a transcendent QB that needs paid in a few years.

Mr. Laz
07-11-2015, 02:35 PM
But we shouldn't pay Houston because we paid Bowe and he underproduced?
Didn't say that either

you keep trying, little buckaroo

Eleazar
07-11-2015, 02:36 PM
nobody was saying that Bowe looked to be declining BEFORE he got the big contract

my point is that CP always just says "pay him!!"

Maybe they put Houston at LDE this year and see if he can product like Watt. :shrug:

There was a contingent among us who felt like Bowe wasn't nearly worth the money they paid him, but that we couldn't afford to lose our only weapon either. The "reluctantly pay him and hopefully get some kind of out" party. Unfortunately they didn't have any reservation about paying him, but fortunately Bowe gave us an out with his behavior. But yes... mostly, CP will write Clark's checks to anyone

Mr. Laz
07-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Just a gut feeling.

Maybe ... he could be asking for the moon to force a trade or release. He avoids being the bad guy by doing it that way instead of just demanding his release.

Most fans blame the team no matter what the money demands are

RealSNR
07-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Didn't say that either

you keep trying, little buckaroo

So why even fucking bring up Bowe's contract? Just to be your usual dickless whiney self?

jimidollar
07-11-2015, 02:55 PM
I say pay the man. I like watching him play. Might as well get a few highlights watching this team.

lewdog
07-11-2015, 02:56 PM
So why even fucking bring up Bowe's contract? Just to be your usual dickless whiney self?

You've been Lazed, brah.

BlackOp
07-11-2015, 02:59 PM

22 sacks most definitely changes the final score....whether or not Vegas acknowledges it is irrelevant.

The 8 billion dollar industry know as sports betting might alter the point spread...having an official make a timely call or two... depending on how the flow of the game is going. If the Supreme Court can be bought off...an NFL official is nothing.

RealSNR
07-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Also, that's bullshit about CP always saying "Pay him"

We didn't say "Just pay him!" to Alex Smith

We didn't say "Just pay him!" to Rodney Hudson

We didn't say "Just pay him!" to Tyson Jackson, Jon Asamoah, or any of the other shitty players we let walk last offseason.

I can go on.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-11-2015, 03:02 PM
CP always says "pay him" to the useless fucks who should be traded or tagged.

-King-
07-11-2015, 03:08 PM

Just a gut feeling.

Literally nothing he has done points to that direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Roundup
07-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Vegas is stupid.

Their highly educated mathematicians totally disagree.

Chief Roundup
07-11-2015, 03:22 PM
I think it is wise to make him play this season on the Tag. This next offseason he is unlikely to get 20 sacks again. His value could easily decline.

beach tribe
07-11-2015, 03:24 PM
That's exactly why the only smart move was to get him to play under the tag.
Guarantees another year of monster effort and if that only translates to 10 sacks, the conversation changes a bit.

The Franchise
07-11-2015, 03:25 PM
I think it is wise to make him play this season on the Tag. This next offseason he is unlikely to get 20 sacks again. His value could easily decline.

And when he won't sign because he has 18 sacks instead of 22?

Chief Roundup
07-11-2015, 03:28 PM
The odds are against him having another monster season. Let's see how it plays out.
What if he gets 10 to 15?

notorious
07-11-2015, 03:31 PM
The Chiefs hold all the cards right now. I would be pissed if I were in Houston's situation.

TimBone
07-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Also, that's bullshit about CP always saying "Pay him"

We didn't say "Just pay him!" to Alex Smith

We didn't say "Just pay him!" to Rodney Hudson

We didn't say "Just pay him!" to Tyson Jackson, Jon Asamoah, or any of the other shitty players we let walk last offseason.

I can go on.
I wanted to pay Geoff Schwartz, but I'm an idiot.

beach tribe
07-11-2015, 03:37 PM

He's going to sign with the highest bidder. That's pretty clear.

And an 18 sack season would be the definition of proving it. lol
Hell, he might be able to ask for more, and get it, if he does that.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Just pay him. The way salaries rise, some Schmo will get a FA offer from a dumb team like the Faid and the new FAs will get more.

notorious
07-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Just pay him. The way salaries rise, some Schmo will get a FA offer from a dumb team like the Faid and the new FAs will get more.

This.

Why not.

Chiefshrink
07-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Just a gut feeling.

Explain your gut feel. What is it that you see and hear?? Just curious.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Explain your gut feel. What is it that you see and hear?? Just curious.

Chipotle

Chiefshrink
07-11-2015, 04:01 PM
from a dumb team like the.......

Chiefs. We were the dumb team with Bowe and Dorsey still feeling the effects of that one and probably why he is still tight on the pocketbook. Most players(not all) that get a huge contract whether FA or resigned rarely justify their big contract in their later years. Every decent GM in the league knows this and your play only goes down as time goes on at almost every position except QB,P,K which these positions have a much longer shelf life assuming your decent.

Chiefshrink
07-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Chipotle

Black beans or pinto ?

White or brown rice ?

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Chiefs. We were the dumb team with Bowe and Dorsey still feeling the effects of that one and probably why he is still tight on the pocketbook. Most players(not all) that get a huge contract whether FA or resigned rarely justify their big contract in their later years. Every decent GM in the league knows this and your play only goes down as time goes on at almost every position except QB,P,K which these positions have a much longer shelf life assuming your decent.

Don't edit my post. I meant it like I said.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-11-2015, 04:06 PM
With the cap increase after next year, he'll get more than JJ Watt money on the open market. Salaries only go up. The longer Dorsey draws this out the worse it's going to be for the Chiefs, because either he's going to require a massive number to keep him, or they'll lose him outright.

The Franchise
07-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Houston is only 8.5 sacks behind Watt.

Chiefshrink
07-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Don't edit my post. I meant it like I said.

I edited nothing. I just took a part of your statement and made my comment off of it about Dorsey and that we were dumb as well. Now if I would have taken your whole comment and substituted your words, takes and opinions, then yes that is true editing taking out of context. I didn't do that.

Chiefshrink
07-11-2015, 04:16 PM
With the cap increase after next year, he'll get more than JJ Watt money on the open market. Salaries only go up. The longer Dorsey draws this out the worse it's going to be for the Chiefs, because either he's going to require a massive number to keep him, or they'll lose him outright.

Agreed. And why I think Dorsey feels he got Houston's best years out of him and is comfortable letting him go next year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-11-2015, 04:21 PM

And he covers. Maybe he's turned down Watt money, but if Dorsey hasn't offered it yet he's insane.

BossChief
07-11-2015, 04:26 PM
In a heartbeat. It's basically an extremely reasonable deal.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Suh got more than Watt. Pay the man

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-11-2015, 04:52 PM
The odds are against him having another monster season. Let's see how it plays out.

Good thing we applied this rationale to Alex Smith, and saved ourselves some money and a mediocre pain in the ass.

BossChief
07-11-2015, 04:55 PM

Look at the schedule.

Dudes gonna have another monster season.

keg in kc
07-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Using Bowe as rationale for not signing Houston doesn't make much sense. Houston is 26 and he's the best at his position in the NFL. There's no decline coming in a couple or three years. He's only getting better. He's earned Watt money and it'll probably seem like a helluva deal a couple years from now.

saphojunkie
07-11-2015, 05:23 PM
This team has a ton of talent on rookie deals and looks to be finally drafting somewhat competently. You can afford to pay the best player in the league at his position top money. The salary cap is going up every year, as well. And that should help when we have to pay Berry and Poe.

milkman
07-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Agreed. And why I think Dorsey feels he got Houston's best years out of him and is comfortable letting him go next year.

Moron.

BigMeatballDave
07-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Agreed. And why I think Dorsey feels he got Houston's best years out of him and is comfortable letting him go next year.:spock:

ChiefGator
07-11-2015, 06:57 PM
I would take JJ Watt's deal for Houston. The way it's structured it's very affordable for that team. We can absolutely do that.

Exactly this.

Everyone hears JJ Watt money and freaks out, but it is not a bad deal at all. I think the total money reported is with incentives and such. Currently he is making between 10M and 14M most years.

MotherfuckerJones
07-11-2015, 07:19 PM

ROFL what?? You've gotta be fucking kidding me. Houston is like 26 not 36. His best years are ahead as he's heading into his prime fully developed as a pass rusher and OLB.

MMXcalibur
07-11-2015, 07:54 PM
I can see it now: we keep dicking around with Houston for the next year, he leaves to keep kicking ass with some other shit team I hate. Our management touts Dee Ford up and down, with the bubbly pieces coming out about how he's ready to step up to the plate annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd............he manages 0 sacks in the next 3 seasons with his biggest issue being that he runs away from the quarterback.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-11-2015, 09:11 PM
I can see it now: we keep dicking around with Houston for the next year, he leaves to keep kicking ass with some other shit team I hate. Our management touts Dee Ford up and down, with the bubbly pieces coming out about how he's ready to step up to the plate annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd............he manages 0 sacks in the next 3 seasons with his biggest issue being that he runs away from the quarterback.

Yep.

Because, Chiefs.

But hey, we've secured a shitty QB at a shitty price-point, so there's that!

xztop123
07-11-2015, 09:16 PM
What would belichick do

Brock
07-11-2015, 09:24 PM
ROFL what?? You've gotta be fucking kidding me. Houston is like 26 not 36. His best years are ahead as he's heading into his prime fully developed as a pass rusher and OLB.

The stupidity of these people is astonishing.

ILChief
07-11-2015, 10:15 PM

Houston is way more important than Albert or Hudson

Brock
07-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Houston is way more important than Albert or Hudson

Those guys were good players, very good. Houston is from another planet.

srvy
07-11-2015, 10:55 PM
If the Chiefs value the man they will get him signed. If they tag him and he plays a full schedule this year he will be gone at the end of the year. He is gonna break someones bank.

MotherfuckerJones
07-11-2015, 11:02 PM
The stupidity of these people is astonishing.

I don't get it. I don't pretend that I could do an NFL GMs job but this shit is ridiculous. 22 sacks, so let's trade him.

Sorter
07-11-2015, 11:45 PM

https://31.media.tumblr.com/4b1fe5807b81b84202ca0fd2d0792ef7/tumblr_npyzsc96FP1s19ebpo1_500.gif

BlackOp
07-12-2015, 12:19 AM
What would belichick do

Pay him...he's in that age bracket that warrants his contract. If he were 29...NE would probably franchise him then let him roll. 26 and putting up 22 sacks....you get $$ by every HC/GM. KC would be wise to lock him down...he's only going to get more expensive.

If Branch stays healthy..Berry most likely becomes expendable. Channel those savings to Houston.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 01:22 AM

Lol. Wow.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 01:24 AM

While missing 5 games to injury and sitting much of his rookie season through no fault of his own.

As long as his of the field stuff is good, which it seems to be, the guy is face of the franchise material.

Discuss Thrower
07-12-2015, 03:30 AM

Quarterback, center and left tackle.

Discuss Thrower
07-12-2015, 03:33 AM
And he covers. Maybe he's turned down Watt money, but if Dorsey hasn't offered it yet he's insane.

You're assuming Dorsey isn't operating as if he's the Billy Beane of football.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 03:49 AM
I don't get it. I don't pretend that I could do an NFL GMs job but this shit is ridiculous. 22 sacks, so let's trade him.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO BOWE CONTRACT!

-King-
07-12-2015, 03:55 AM

IT'S ALL DOWNHILL FROM 22!!! HE COULD ONLY GET 20 NEXT YEAR!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefGator
07-12-2015, 04:50 AM
The cap hit for Tamba over the last three years was 14.5M, 15.5M, and 11.5M last year. Tamba restructuring and eminent retirement clears 75% of the room needed for the deal anyway.

notorious
07-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Chipotle

Taco Bell.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Dorsey sounds confident they'll sign Houston. That means they're trying. That's important. He never said anything like that with Bowe, Hudson, or Houston. Enough with the BS that the Chiefs are overlooking him.

Their best bet is to sign him long-term. They will save money on this year's cap.

If they are trying to sign him, I'm glad they're finally starting to play hardball instead of handing out ridiculous deals like they did with Bowe in a panic. And I'm sure Houston is going to milk this as long as he can because it's the last chance in his career to avoid a lot of the offseason shit that players hate.

I'm not too worried about it yet.

BossChief
07-12-2015, 09:13 AM
“I’ve been very consistent in saying that we not only value Justin as a football player, that we not only value Justin as a person and leader, and we want him to be a Chief for life,” Hunt said. “And the negotiating process in these type of situations, as John has said, takes some patience. You just have to have patience. It will work out.”

MGM
07-12-2015, 09:23 AM
I would make him the highest paid OLB. Give him more than Clay Mathews but that is no where near Watt money. Look at the highest paid players in the league that aren't QBs and notice guys like Watt and Suh's teams have never won a playoff game. Paying Houston that kind of money would be dumb. It would be a big step back from the good things Dorsey has done.

Rausch
07-12-2015, 09:33 AM
“I’ve been very consistent in saying that we not only value Justin as a football player, that we not only value Justin as a person and leader, and we want him to be a Chief for life,” Hunt said. “And the negotiating process in these type of situations, as John has said, takes some patience. You just have to have patience. It will work out.”

Willing to bet it doesn't.

In fact, he'll bolt after the season and likely to a division rival...

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 09:45 AM
I would make him the highest paid OLB. Give him more than Clay Mathews but that is no where near Watt money. Look at the highest paid players in the league that aren't QBs and notice guys like Watt and Suh's teams have never won a playoff game. Paying Houston that kind of money would be dumb. It would be a big step back from the good things Dorsey has done.

Watt has won two playoff games, dumbass

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Willing to bet it doesn't.

In fact, he'll bolt after the season and likely to a division rival...

Apart from Hudson, who was paid an insane amount of money to go to a rival, what player that the Chiefs wanted to keep did Dorsey lose?

Rausch
07-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Apart from Hudson, who was paid an insane amount of money to go to a rival, what player that the Chiefs wanted to keep did Dorsey lose?

I don't agree with all the decisions on who he wants to keep...

MGM
07-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Watt has won two playoff games, dumbass

I meant to say Superbowls

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't agree with all the decisions on who he wants to keep...

That's fine. But it doesn't answer the question. In this case, Hunt/Dorsey have publicly and confidently said he will be re-signed. When they try hard to keep somebody they've generally kept them on board. The only exception I can think of is Hudson, who they understandably decided wasn't worth close to what he was asking for.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 10:01 AM
That's fine. But it doesn't answer the question. In this case, Hunt/Dorsey have publicly and confidently said he will be re-signed. When they try hard to keep somebody they've generally kept them on board. The only exception I can think of is Hudson, who they understandably decided wasn't worth close to what he was asking for.

That's what worries me.

I have no doubt they'll get him to sign the tender offer this year, and that Houston will join the team some time before Week 1. But after that I really don't know. If Hudson just asked too much, what's to stop Dorsey from letting Houston go as well after this year? Especially because we'll have more players we have to worry about re-signing, and that tag may come in handy. Plus, Houston would probably be pretty fucking pissed about getting tagged two years in a row and may tell us to go fuck off.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 10:12 AM
That's what worries me.

I have no doubt they'll get him to sign the tender offer this year, and that Houston will join the team some time before Week 1. But after that I really don't know. If Hudson just asked too much, what's to stop Dorsey from letting Houston go as well after this year? Especially because we'll have more players we have to worry about re-signing, and that tag may come in handy. Plus, Houston would probably be pretty ****ing pissed about getting tagged two years in a row and may tell us to go **** off.

I don't remember Dorsey saying much publicly about Hudson other than that hey were working on it. Dorsey has been pretty public that they want to keep Houston and sounds pretty confident about it. The Chiefs over the years have been terrible about a lot of things. The one thing they've been good at is keeping the players they really, really like.

Maybe overconfident. But to me, that sounds like they know how much money he wants and that they'll come to terms. This time last year, we were sweating about Jamaal Charles and they pulled off a deal at the very last minute. We'll see.

milkman
07-12-2015, 10:19 AM
I meant to say Superbowls

Another fucking moron joins the discussion.

SeeingRed
07-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Pay him or tag him and if he does anything near what he did last year pay him what he wants long term

RINGLEADER
07-12-2015, 11:54 AM
That's what worries me.

I have no doubt they'll get him to sign the tender offer this year, and that Houston will join the team some time before Week 1. But after that I really don't know. If Hudson just asked too much, what's to stop Dorsey from letting Houston go as well after this year? Especially because we'll have more players we have to worry about re-signing, and that tag may come in handy. Plus, Houston would probably be pretty fucking pissed about getting tagged two years in a row and may tell us to go fuck off.

Chiefs are either going to have to step up or franchise him again. I don't see any upside to an injury or down season -- can't really see Houston taking less from KC if something like that happened.

MGM
07-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Another ****ing moron joins the discussion.

Yes it's a dumb discussion. We probably won't resign him so what is the point? Truthfully I don't care if we resign him or not. We'll have him this year then we can find someone else.

BossChief
07-12-2015, 12:12 PM
That's what worries me.

I have no doubt they'll get him to sign the tender offer this year, and that Houston will join the team some time before Week 1. But after that I really don't know. If Hudson just asked too much, what's to stop Dorsey from letting Houston go as well after this year? Especially because we'll have more players we have to worry about re-signing, and that tag may come in handy. Plus, Houston would probably be pretty ****ing pissed about getting tagged two years in a row and may tell us to go **** off.

Then sign a long term deal.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd tag Houston 3 years in a row if needed.

2015: 13
2016: 16
2017: 20

That's like a 3 year deal for 50m guaranteed.

No way I'd just let him walk out of town.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-12-2015, 12:18 PM
You're assuming Dorsey isn't operating as if he's the Billy Beane of football.

Given the contracts he's doled out to Dwayne Bowe, Paul Fanaika, Alex Smith, and Ron Parker, he's not.

MotherfuckerJones
07-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Given the contracts he's doled out to Dwayne Bowe, Paul Fanaika, Alex Smith, and Ron Parker, he's not.

Fanaika got like a two year deal. Marlin should be in that not him.

BossChief
07-12-2015, 12:29 PM

The breakdown of those deals is solid, though. They are only bad deals if you strictly look at the total years and total amount.

Ron Parker's only has the first 2 years of his deal guaranteed and combined, and those years only total to 5.75m. The last 3 years inflate the value of the deal by accounting for almost 20m of the deal. It's basically a pay for play deal...if he continues to develop as a quality safety, or not...the deal was structured perfectly.

Fanaika a deal has 1.75m guaranteed in it, basically the first year. Hardly a back breaker of a deal.

Everybody applauded Dorsey for signing Bowe to what he did and remember, if he hadn't we would have lost Albert and had to tag Bowe a second year in a row...or let both players walk. The guy walked into a shit storm and made some moves to return the team to competitiveness and has them in position to contend for the next few years.

I think for the most part, Dorsey has done a decent job adding talent at good value for the team.

MGM
07-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Then sign a long term deal.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd tag Houston 3 years in a row if needed.

2015: 13
2016: 16
2017: 20

That's like a 3 year deal for 50m guaranteed.

No way I'd just let him walk out of town.

Can't you only tag a guy twice?

BossChief
07-12-2015, 12:32 PM
You can tag three times, but it costs a lot the third time.

milkman
07-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Yes it's a dumb discussion. We probably won't resign him so what is the point? Truthfully I don't care if we resign him or not. We'll have him this year then we can find someone else.

Moron.

Outside of QB, the biggest difference maker on any team is a pass rusher.

Even if he weren't the most versatile and conplete OLB in the NFL, what Houston contributes to this team in sacks and pressures makes him one of the most valuable assets on the defensive side of the ball in the league.

O.city
07-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Can't you only rage a guy twice?

You can rage someone am infinite number of times

MGM
07-12-2015, 12:38 PM
You can rage someone am infinite number of times

LMAO

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't know why tagging him multiple years is even an option.

If you want to keep him long-term, then give him a long-term contract so that it expires when he's 32 or 33. You want to pay him while he's good, then get him off the books as soon as his production slips.

milkman
07-12-2015, 12:41 PM

If you want to keep him long-term, then give him a long-term contract so that it expires when he's 32 or 33. You want to pay him while he's good, then get him off the books as soon as his production slips.

Worst case scenario.

BossChief
07-12-2015, 12:47 PM

If he doesn't want to sign a long term deal that makes sense for both sides, we simply can't let him leave. If our only option is to tag him 3 times, then that's what needs done.

The guy just turned 26 in January. That means he has 7-8 more good years left...we can afford to tag him the next 2-3 years and then give him a long term deal. Even if we tag him 3 times in a row, we would be trying to sign him at age 29.

There isn't anyone crucial to the organization that we might need to tag next year...besides Houston...and we have lots of cap space.

MGM
07-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Moron.

Outside of QB, the biggest difference maker on any team is a pass rusher.

Even if he weren't the most versatile and conplete OLB in the NFL, what Houston contributes to this team in sacks and pressures makes him one of the most valuable assets on the defensive side of the ball in the league.

They are important but when you put them in the top ten highest paid players in the league you don't have the horses to win in the playoffs. There is only one position worth spending that kind if money on and that's QB.

Watt was on his rookie contract when they won in the playoffs. Since he got the big contact they've done nothing. Suh never won a playoff game after getting paid. The other eight ten highest paid are QBs. You make Houston a top ten paid player and it's this year or bust for KC for a long while.

BossChief
07-12-2015, 12:49 PM
They are important but when you put them in the top ten highest paid players in the league you don't have the horses to win in the playoffs. There is only one position worth spending that kind if money on and that's QB.

Watt was on his rookie contract when they won in the playoffs. Since he got the big contact they've done nothing. Suh never won a playoff game after getting paid. The other eight ten highest paid are QBs. You make Houston a top ten paid player and it's this year or bust for KC for a long while.

True. But he also hasn't even played a game since he signed, either.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 12:52 PM
If he doesn't want to sign a long term deal that makes sense for both sides, we simply can't let him leave. If our only option is to tag him 3 times, then that's what needs done.

The guy just turned 26 in January. That means he has 7-8 more good years left...we can afford to tag him the next 2-3 years and then give him a long term deal. Even if we tag him 3 times in a row, we would be trying to sign him at age 29.

There isn't anyone crucial to the organization that we might need to tag next year...besides Houston...and we have lots of cap space.

I don't get that strategy. Tagging him 3 years in a row is basically giving him close to JJ Watt money 3 years in a row. So if you're set on tagging him 3 years in a row, then why not give him JJ Watt money long-term without pissing Houston off? Even better, you'd have no drama in 3 years about keeping him but you'd also be making good progress toward paying off his dead cap charge.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 12:54 PM

That's pretty short-sighted. Pass rushers are well worth the money, especially someone like Houston who can also play the run and ply in coverage.

I was NOT a big supporter of paying Albert or Hudson a ton of cash. Houston deserves to get paid.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 12:55 PM

We wanted to pay him this year.

Shit happens in this business. Sometimes you have to resort to shitty situations like a second tag.

Basically, if Houston has to sign the tender (and it looks like that's going to be the case), Dorsey needs to get the extension done during the season. Because the way these talks have gone on and on for the better part of an entire calendar year, there's no way that gap is going to suddenly get closed between the end of the regular season and the start of free agency.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Hypothetically, if Watt could come play for KC on his current contract, would you want him?

MGM
07-12-2015, 12:58 PM
True. But he also hasn't even played a game since he signed, either.

Well, they didn't win a playoff game when he played under the tag either. Didn't he make like $20 million last year under that second tag?

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 12:59 PM
We wanted to pay him this year.

Shit happens in this business. Sometimes you have to.

Basically, if Houston has to sign the tender (and it looks like that's going to be the case), Dorsey needs to get the extension done during the season. Because the way these talks of gone on and on for the better part of an entire calendar year, there's no way that gap is going to suddenly get closed between the end of the regular season and the start of free agency.

This is why I think they'll find a way to get this deal done. Both Houston and the Chiefs probably want a long-term deal. If you believe Hunt/Dorsey that they see him as a part of their future, which I think they're being sincere about.

Bowser
07-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Houston is the one guy on the team that could legitimately command a 100mil contract, but that's just too much for one guy. We should save the money from signing Justin Houston to bring in more Nate Hobgood-Chittick's, R-Kal Truluks, and Bobby Sippios.

Sweet Christ there are some straight up stupid fans of this team. Fuck.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Well, they didn't win a playoff game when he played under the tag either. Didn't he make like $20 million last year under that second tag?

A QB is going to have a much tougher time winning without a pass rush. A pass rush is going to have a much tougher time winning without a QB. It works both ways.

MGM
07-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Hypothetically, if Watt could come play for KC on his current contract, would you want him?

No. He is a great player but I'm not sinking that much money into a non QB. I would spend my money but not on him.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 01:04 PM
No. He is a great player but I'm not sinking that much money into a non QB. I would spend my money but not on him.

What mysterious QB that's going to be worth $100M is going to walk into KC? The Chiefs' best chance at a QB who deserves that money will probably come from the draft. If he comes from the draft, you'll have several years to play him for cheap

ThaVirus
07-12-2015, 01:05 PM

The Texans aren't struggling to win games because Watt signed a mega contract.

Bowser
07-12-2015, 01:05 PM

Let us know when you GM an NFL team so I'll know never to put money on your Cleveland Brown-esque franchise to win the Super Bowl in Vegas.

MGM
07-12-2015, 01:06 PM
A QB is going to have a much tougher time winning without a pass rush. A pass rush is going to have a much tougher time winning without a QB. It works both ways.

Patriots and Seahawks don't have elite pass rushers.

If we sign Houston to JJ Watt money understand that we are throwing in the towel on finding a homegrown franchise QB for the long haul.

milkman
07-12-2015, 01:07 PM

The Texans, like the Chiefs now, were a team built around a pass rusher, a RB, and a mediocre QB whose true mediocrity was exposed when Arian Foster's body began to break down.

They didn't miss the playoffs because of the contract that Watt signed.
They missed them because Matt Shaub wasn't nearly good enough to overcome the decline of the second most important player on that roster.

The Chiefs, without Houston, won't have any chance of making the playoffs.

He makes plays on his own, and his presence ceates opportunities for the rest of the defense to make plays.

MGM
07-12-2015, 01:09 PM
The Texans aren't struggling to win games because Watt signed a mega contract.

Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, Andre Johnson, and Owen Daniel are gone because they couldn't afford them. JJ Watt is why Kendrick Lewis was their starting FS last year. They have no money. Yeah they need a QB but it's much more than that.

milkman
07-12-2015, 01:10 PM

If we sign Houston to JJ Watt money understand that we are throwing in the towel on finding a homegrown franchise QB for the long haul.

Give us a call when the Chiefs have the overall talent that those teams have.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 01:10 PM

The best DL pass rusher since Reggie fucking White and you're worried about money?

:spock:

milkman
07-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed, Andre Johnson, and Owen Daniel are gone because they couldn't afford them. JJ Watt is why Kendrick Lewis was their starting FS last year. They have no money. Yeah they need a QB but it's much more than that.

In an antequated cover 2 scheme, Kendrick Lewis isn't nearly the liability that he is in a single high safety role.

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:14 PM
The Texans missing the playoffs and watts contact aren't mutually exclusive. The argument that one is causing the other (same with suh) is pretty ....well, bad.

Whatever you do, it's all about drafting and developing your own. When you do that, and have an elite player you drafted and developed, generally, it's wise to sign and keep them in your system

ThaVirus

They let some people walk and signed some others off the trash heap...

Sounds like literally every other NFL franchise literally every season since literally the beginning of the salary cap era.

The Franchise

Barwin and Reed have done exactly what?

Johnson was old and not worth his contract. Owen Daniels is a fucking replaceable TE.

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Contractually, it's the same as in baseball, or basketball. If you pay a guy x and he plays to x amount, it's fine.

You can't pay someone 100 mil and get 20 mil production.

MGM
07-12-2015, 01:17 PM
The best DL pass rusher since Reggie ****ing White and you're worried about money?

:spock:

Reggie White won one Superbowl. It was the first year he was there. Then they never had that much talent again. They started losing players after that. We are in a similar situation. Our best chance to win a Superbowl in the next three years looks to be this year. We will probably be losing Hali, DJ, Sean Smith, and Abdullah after this year.

Let him play under the tag if he does't want a little more than Clay Mathews gets.

ThaVirus
07-12-2015, 01:17 PM
The Texans missing the playoffs and watts contact aren't mutually exclusive. The argument that one is causing the other (same with suh) is pretty ....well, bad.

Whatever you do, it's all about drafting and developing your own. When you do that, and have an elite player you drafted and developed, generally, it's wise to sign and keep them in your system

Signing him to a mega contract is too risky.

Best to let him walk so we have more money to sign more Donnie Averys and Mike Devitos then have to spend high draft picks on a lottery hoping you'll find a guy like the one you just let go.......... So you can do it all over again in three years.

Brilliant.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Andre Johnson was an old fuck and had to be replaced at some point. Owen Daniels after all those injuries had turned into nothing more than Anthony Fasano for them. And Barwin and Reed weren't anything special-- more than likely it was a smart situation to let them walk for ANY franchise.

To have JJ Watt on the Chiefs is a no-brainer. Fuck, with Dorsey's ability to dumpster dive for replacement players, I'd be willing to pay JJ Watt $10 or $20 million MORE from his total contract number if he could be brought to KC.

MGM
07-12-2015, 01:19 PM
Barwin and Reed have done exactly what?

Johnson was old and not worth his contract. Owen Daniels is a ****ing replaceable TE.

Say what you want but those guys are good players. Half the reason we are better us because we have depth. Milkman is right. This thread is full of idiots.

RealSNR
Contractually, it's the same as in baseball, or basketball. If you pay a guy x and he plays to x amount, it's fine.

You can't pay someone 100 mil and get 20 mil production.

JJ Watt gives you 100 mil production.

RealSNR
Say what you want but those guys are good players. Half the reason we are better us because we have depth. Milkman is right. This thread is full of idiots.

Milkman was talking about you, moron LMAO

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Signing him to a mega contract is too risky.

Best to let him walk so we have more money to sign more Donnie Averys and Mike Devitos then have to spend high draft picks on a lottery hoping you'll find a guy like the one you just let go.......... So you can do it all over again in three years.

Brilliant.

They obviously can't get too carried away. If his demands are that high, tag him twice and let him go. It sucks but it is what it is.

I'd pay him, but if someone were to offer 2 first rounders a few months ago before the drsft, I'd have listened.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2015, 01:21 PM
OH DEAR GOD WERE GONNA' LOSE SEAN SMITH!

lolololololololol.....

milkman
Reggie White won one Superbowl. It was the first year he was there. Then they never had that much talent again. They started losing players after that. We are in a similar situation. Our best chance to win a Superbowl in the next three years looks to be this year. We will probably be losing Hali, DJ, Sean Smith, and Abdullah after this year.

Let him play under the tag if he does't want a little more than Clay Mathews gets.

Reggie White never won another SB because Brett Favre was an overrated idiot.

O.city
Those guys were good players, they aren't now.

MGM
Andre Johnson was an old **** and had to be replaced at some point. Owen Daniels after all those injuries had turned into nothing more than Anthony Fasano for them. And Barwin and Reed weren't anything special-- more than likely it was a smart situation to let them walk for ANY franchise.

To have JJ Watt on the Chiefs is a no-brainer. ****, with Dorsey's ability to dumpster dive for replacement players, I'd be willing to pay JJ Watt $10 or $20 million MORE from his total contract number if he could be brought to KC.

The Texans will never win a Superbowl with Watt playing under that contract.

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Please, for the love of whatever diety you subscribe too, stop using superbowl wins as a basis for individual play.

Marino never won a ring, might be the best ever. IT'S A DUMB ARGUMENT.

Wins are a team statistic.

BossChief
Having a player like Houston or Watt is like playing defense with 12 or 13 guys.

He not only got 22 sacks, he keyed a defense that didn't allow big plays or big passing days.

It makes the corners jobs much easier because they know the opposing offense will be limited and that they will be defending rushed throws a lot. It makes the safeties jobs easier.t makes the DLs job easier.

This league is all about matchups and game changing plays and Houston provides that consistently.

WeathermanKumke
He already Signed with the Chiefs in Principal to a Contract last night. They are waiting to announce it till the day of so they don't compete with All Star Game since it would take focus off of Royals.

Contract is 6 years, 97.5 Million with 50 Mill Guaranteed.

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:24 PM
The Texans will never win a Superbowl with Watt playing under that contract.

Really going out on a limb therr with that statement.

Jesus, this board gets more and more dumb daily.

I blame snr, he's gotta be doing something

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Lol, oh shit

milkman
07-12-2015, 01:25 PM
He already Signed with the Chiefs in Principal to a Contract last night. They are waiting to announce it till the day of so they don't compete with All Star Game since it would take focus off of Royals.

Link.

-King-
Milkman was talking about you, moron LMAO
LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

ThaVirus
They obviously can't get too carried away. If his demands are that high, tag him twice and let him go. It sucks but it is what it is.

I'd pay him, but if someone were to offer 2 first rounders a few months ago before the drsft, I'd have listened.

Pass on a potential 20-sack per season guy for $16 mill and end up with Eric Fisher and Dee Ford for $10 mill?

Meh.

-King-
07-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Link.

It's bullshit.
Posted via Mobile Device

MGM
07-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Those guys were good players, they aren't now.

Barwin had 14.5 sacks last year. Johnson had 85 rec and 936 yards with losers playing QB. He signed with the AFC favorite Colts. Reed was signed in the first couple of hours of free agency by Atlanta because he is good. Daniels is taking over for Thomas in Denver. They thought he would be perfect for Peyton.

I bet ever one if those guys has a good year if they stay healthy.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Really going out on a limb therr with that statement.

Jesus, this board gets more and more dumb daily.

I blame snr, he's gotta be doing something

You were wondering how to get my goat. There you have it. That's how I get angry.

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Pass on a potential 20-sack per season guy for $16 mill and end up with Eric Fisher and Dee Ford for $10 mill?

Meh.

I look at it like this.

If you could have 2 more first rounders, that money in your pocket, can you replace what houston does or brings. He had a phenomenal year, but I doubt he gets to 22 again.

Hypothetically, you could have had dupree and maybe throe your hat more in the Revis sweepstakes.

I don't know how it would have worked out, but it would be a way to max value

WeathermanKumke
07-12-2015, 01:30 PM
It's bullshit.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not bullshit.

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Barwin had 14.5 sacks last year. Johnson had 85 rec and 936 yards with losers playing QB. He signed with the AFC favorite Colts.Reed was signed in the first couple of hours of free agency by Atlanta. Daniels is taking over for Thomas in Denver.

I bet ever one if those guys has a good year if they stay healthy.

Look at the miney they got though. It wasn't like any of them broke a piggy bank (iirc, I'm not looking it up).

It's another dead end argument anyway so carry on

Meatloaf
07-12-2015, 01:31 PM
It's not bullshit.

Where'd you hear this, Weatherman?

Bowser
07-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Elite players get paid elite contracts. I'm as shocked as anyone at that news, but it is what it is.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 01:33 PM
It's not contract-related, but it's still nice to hear some kind of words coming from Justin Houston. I really don't think he WANTS to leave KC like some tards in the other thread were saying.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/12/justin-houston-i-really-think-chiefs-have-best-pass-rushing-duo-in-nfl/

Justin Houston: I really think Chiefs have best pass rushing duo in NFL

Posted by Josh Alper on July 12, 2015, 11:07 AM EDT
Justin Houston
AP
The Chiefs and linebacker Justin Houston haven’t had any luck finding common ground on a long-term contract since Houston got the franchise tag early in the offseason, leaving both sides with a lot of work to do if they are going to strike an agreement before the July 15 deadline.

As a result, Houston didn’t take part in the team’s offseason program and has left open the possibility that he’ll continue to stay away from the team into training camp. If that happens, that would leave the Chiefs with only Tamba Hali on the field from what Houston believes is the best pass rushing duo in the league.

“I’d say so. I think everybody should think the same way,” Houston said, via the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. “I think you should think that as an NFL player, think you’re the best and believe you’re the best. I really do think we are.”

The Ravens, Broncos and a few other teams might argue with Houston, but the Chiefs are at least in the discussion largely because of how much of an impact Houston makes off the edge. That makes it clear what the Chiefs would be missing if Houston’s absence were to drag on into the season.

MGM
07-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Elite players get paid elite contracts. I'm as shocked as anyone at that news, but it is what it is.

Yes they do but smart teams do sign most of them to long term deals unless they are QBs.

WeathermanKumke
07-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Where'd you hear this, Weatherman?

Same Source that told me Maclin was coming here and that we were going to draft De'Anthony Thomas.

Bowser
07-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Yes they do but smart teams do sign them to long term deals.

So knowing this, you STILL wouldn't sign Houston or Watt? Please give us your definition of "elite".

ThaVirus
07-12-2015, 01:35 PM
I look at it like this.

If you could have 2 more first rounders, that money in your pocket, can you replace what houston does or brings. He had a phenomenal year, but I doubt he gets to 22 again.

Hypothetically, you could have had dupree and maybe throe your hat more in the Revis sweepstakes.

I don't know how it would have worked out, but it would be a way to max value

He doesn't need to hit 22 sacks to be worth the contract.

He was only on pace for 16 sacks in the 2013 season and we saw how our defense collapsed when he got injured. It's a night and day difference.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Same Source that told me Maclin was coming here and that we were going to draft De'Anthony Thomas.
Do you know how bugged the NFL is? There's no way a reporter doesn't get ahold of this information between now and the end of the ASG.

There's no reason why we're not hearing about it NOW, in fact.

And if I remember correctly, you reported the Maclin deal before it was even reported that we gave him a call.

MGM
So knowing this, you STILL wouldn't sign Houston or Watt? Please give us your definition of "elite".

In this argument a player other that QB who commands top 10 player in the league money. You don't pay non QBs top 10 money For long. It is stupid.

Look at the Pats and how they handled Revis.... Smart

O.city
He doesn't need to hit 22 sacks to be worth the contract.

He was only on pace for 16 sacks in the 2013 season and we saw how our defense collapsed when he got injured. It's a night and day difference.

Then it's just replacing said sacks.

If you can get those 16 sacks for less money and have a better player elsewhwre, better off right?

Bowser
07-12-2015, 01:38 PM

If you can get those 16 sacks for less money and have a better player elsewhwre, better off right?

R-Kal Truluk to the rescue! Along with about five other guys.

ThaVirus
07-12-2015, 01:40 PM

It's not replacing the sacks. It's replacing the total effect the player has on your defense.

Houston is much more than a sack a game.

MGM
Do you know how bugged the NFL is? There's no way a reporter doesn't get ahold of this information between now and the end of the ASG.

And if I remember correctly, you reported the Maclin deal before it was even reported that we gave him a call.

Yeah there is. It's because we ain't signing him to a new deal. He getting the tag.

O.city
It's not replacing the sacks. It's replacing the total effect the player has on your defense.

Houston is much more than a sack a game.

Wouldn't it be easier to replace that effect with 3 guys vs 1?

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 01:41 PM
It's not contract-related, but it's still nice to hear some kind of words coming from Justin Houston. I really don't think he WANTS to leave KC like some tards in the other thread were saying.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/12/justin-houston-i-really-think-chiefs-have-best-pass-rushing-duo-in-nfl/

Exactly. He continually spoke about "we".

He had also had 20 of his teammates show up at his camp earlier this summer.

That doesn't sound like a guy that wants to leave the team.

O.city
Blackbob sighting.

ThaVirus
In this argument a player other that QB who commands top 10 player in the league money. You don't pay non QBs top 10 money For long. It is stupid.

Totally different situations.

Revis is 29 while Houston is 26. The Pats are also in win-now mode with w 37 year old QB.

WeathermanKumke
07-12-2015, 01:42 PM

And Maclin came here. So was I not true with what I was saying?

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:43 PM

People can shit on it because of their qb choice, but Reid and Dorsey are really building something here, in terms of like ability and such etc.

Cool to see

RealSNR

Houston is the most complete 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He does it all IN ADDITION to damn near breaking the single season sack record.

He's worth the money. Even if Dee Ford became a good player, we'd need a GREAT player at another position to equal what we lost from Houston.

ThaVirus

Totally depends on the player you're replacing and who you're replacing them with.

I wouldn't count on a couple draft picks and a mid-level FA acquisition being as valuable as a Justin Houston or JJ Watt.

O.city
And I'm just devils advocating this virus, I dint really want to trade him or whatever

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 01:44 PM

No.

Guys like Houston and Hali give offensive coordinators nightmares because they have to game plan for each player on each side.

If it's rotational deal, there's less worry because clearly, those aren't complete linebackers.

Bowser
07-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Well then, if so then this is excellent news. And if this pans out I'm signing up for your e-mail news letter.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 01:45 PM

The Pats did that because they have Brady and know they have a few years to overpay. The Chiefs want Houston long term.

Not many players would take Revis' contract because it's not guaranteed.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Those numbers sound about right to me

Sassy Squatch
07-12-2015, 01:48 PM

plz.

RealSNR
This is stupid. The deadline is July 15th. The Chiefs HAVE to announce it before then.

If we don't hear a leak about this new contract from a reporter within 12 hours, it's DEFINITELY bullshit.

As it is right now, Weatherman's "inside info" is 90% bullshit.

O.city
No.

Guys like Houston and Hali give offensive coordinators nightmares because they have to game plan for each player on each side.

If it's rotational deal, there's less worry because clearly, those aren't complete linebackers.

Alot of it would depend on the 3 guys.

I don't remember who the free agents were this year off the top but f someone wanted to give us 2 firsr rounders and free up thay miney for houston, I'd have listened.

Potentially, you could have added dupree (just an example), signed revis, and had another first round pick to spend on maybe one of the top 3 wrs.

Hypothetically speaking of course.

chiefzilla1501
07-12-2015, 01:49 PM

I think I remember Jamaal's contract talks were really, really quiet before he got a new deal.

O.city
07-12-2015, 01:49 PM
This is stupid. The deadline is July 15th. The Chiefs HAVE to announce it before then.

If we don't hear a leak about this new contract from a reporter within 12 hours, it's DEFINITELY bullshit.

Ur bullshit

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 01:50 PM
I think I remember Jamaal's contract talks were really, really quiet before he got a new deal.

We didn't even know there was a contract issue until a couple days before he signed the extension. That's because HE WAS STILL UNDER CONTRACT FOR THE NEXT YEAR. And basically as soon as the "holdout" was announced, we had only a few hours to really panic before Charles tweeted out that the deal was basically done and all he had to do was get to KC to sign the damn thing.

It's completely different from the Houston situation, where we're up against a deadline to get a multi-year deal done, and if we don't, Houston STILL doesn't have a deal to play for the Chiefs next year until he signs the tender.

ThaVirus
07-12-2015, 01:56 PM
And I'm just devils advocating this virus, I dint really want to trade him or whatever

I understand both sides.

I'm just about 100% for re-signing young, elite players at valuable positions.

MMXcalibur
07-12-2015, 02:02 PM

Hey guys, on that same day, I heard that Chiefs management plans to park in a handicap spot out front of a Best Buy to complete the signing.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 02:13 PM

I can't vouch for the validity of his claim but the Chiefs only need to sign Houston by 4pm EST on Wednesday, July 15th to avoid the Franchise Tag for 2015.

The signing could be announced any time thereafter.

-King-
07-12-2015, 02:20 PM

Exactly. If he were planning on leaving the team or didn't like Kansas city, no way would be have asked so many teammates to come to his camp and no way that many teammates would have come to help out if he was trying to leave them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Meatloaf
07-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Perhaps Weatherman has a really good source, and as Dane suggests, the numbers seems about right. Sure hope this pans out as per Weatherman's source.

WeathermanKumke
07-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Perhaps Weatherman has a really good source, and as Dane suggests, the numbers seems about right. Sure hope this pans out as per Weatherman's source.

My sources are always excellent. And as every NFL fan knows, Franchise Tag/Long Term Deals always take till right before the deadline to be announced. It always happens each year. They usually wait till then to announce the long term extension of big name players.

Like I said. With the Royals being the Main Headliners for Monday and Tuesday, expect the Chiefs to not formally announce the deal till right before the deadline on Wednesday. But the deal is set in stone. He wouldnt be talking about the Chiefs or recruiting his teammates to his camp if he didn't believe the deal would be done and he wouldn't be using the term "We" in the AP Article that was released eariler if he wasn't 100% going to be a Chief.

-King-
07-12-2015, 02:44 PM
My sources are always excellent. And as every NFL fan knows, Franchise Tag/Long Term Deals always take till right before the deadline to be announced. It always happens each year. They usually wait till then to announce the long term extension of big name players.

Like I said. With the Royals being the Main Headliners for Monday and Tuesday, expect the Chiefs to not formally announce the deal till right before the deadline on Wednesday. But the deal is set in stone. He wouldnt be talking about the Chiefs or recruiting his teammates to his camp if he didn't believe the deal would be done and he wouldn't be using the term "We" in the AP Article that was released eariler if he wasn't 100% going to be a Chief.

He's 100% going to be a Chief this year with or without a long term deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-12-2015, 02:53 PM

Can you tell us who your sources are so we can decide if you're lying.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Absolutely ridiculous. Houston's contract would be nearly up by the time a KC drafted QB was due for a new contract.

This is the dumbest statement I've read today. That's quite the honor on CP.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 02:56 PM
I can't vouch for the validity of his claim but the Chiefs only need to sign Houston by 4pm EST on Wednesday, July 15th to avoid the Franchise Tag for 2015.

The signing could be announced any time thereafter.

They would need to file the paperwork with the league office, though. And that's where guys like Schefter and others will pick up the story.

I think I would be more likely to believe Weatherman's source if he just said the figures and that the Chiefs will wait a few days. This part about not wanting to outshine the Royals in the ASG is pure bullshit. If they don't want to overshadow the Royals in the ASG, they should announce the new contract by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

WeathermanKumke
07-12-2015, 03:05 PM
This part about not wanting to outshine the Royals in the ASG is pure bullshit. If they don't want to overshadow the Royals in the ASG, they should announce the new contract by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

You Realize that Today was Travel day for most of the KC Sports media and most local news media to Cincinatti for the Royals VS NL All stars. They aren't going to announce the contract till members of the media can come in for a press conference and that won't be till Wednesday afternoon.

Brock
07-12-2015, 03:07 PM

The patriots are built around tom brady. We don't have tom brady, and paying houston or not won't change that. Even if we drafted a qb at the top of the first round next year, houston's paycheck is immaterial. Your argument is bogus.

Brock
07-12-2015, 03:08 PM
You Realize that Today was Travel day for most of the KC Sports media and most local news media to Cincinatti for the Royals VS NL All stars. They aren't going to announce the contract till members of the media can come in for a press conference and that won't be till Wednesday afternoon.

I hope you're right.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Houston is the most complete 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He does it all IN ADDITION to damn near breaking the single season sack record.

He's worth the money. Even if Dee Ford became a good player, we'd need a GREAT player at another position to equal what we lost from Houston.

People don't seem to understand that he nearly broke the sack record while dropping into coverage nearly 25% of the time.

The Franchise
07-12-2015, 03:24 PM
I hope you're right.

-King-
07-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Why would they need a press conference?
Posted via Mobile Device

aturnis
07-12-2015, 03:34 PM
If they don't want to overshadow the Royals in the ASG, they should announce the new contract by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

This makes no sense. If this were the case, Justin Houston's signing would be mentioned every time the Royals were talked about through ALL Star weekend.

Wait for the events to be done, announce the next day, profit.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

They always do a press conference. Even for piddly signings. Those pc's may not focus specifically on that signing, but they give an excuse to have a pc.

The more hype and excitement they drum up, the more money they make.

MGM
07-12-2015, 03:43 PM
The Pats did that because they have Brady and know they have a few years to overpay. The Chiefs want Houston long term.

Not many players would take Revis' contract because it's not guaranteed.

You are missing the point. The Pats made Revis a top ten paid player on a one year deal, won the Superbowl and then let him walk.

They didn't lock him up. He's a Jet.

MGM
07-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Absolutely ridiculous. Houston's contract would be nearly up by the time a KC drafted QB was due for a new contract.

This is the dumbest statement I've read today. That's quite the honor on CP.

LMAO Good one... We'll never draft a QB - just like Houston

ModSocks
07-12-2015, 03:46 PM
This makes no sense. If this were the case, Justin Houston's signing would be mentioned every time the Royals were talked about through ALL Star weekend.

Profit what?

I dont understand why people seem to think the Chiefs or Houston would care about an MLB all-star game.

An MLB all-star game has Zero impact on announcing a contract.

Red Dawg
07-12-2015, 03:47 PM
If the signing rumor is true that would be sweet. Our defense would be ready to go roll like thunder with Houston happy and content. Besides maybe the Bills who would be better? No one.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 03:47 PM
LMAO Good one...

Assuming Houston gets a 6 yr deal. If KC drafts a QB next season, he works out, and chiefs exercise the 5th year option, Houston's contract is already expired.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Profit what?

I dont understand why people seem to think the Chiefs or Houston would care about an MLB all-star game.

An MLB all-star game has Zero impact on announcing a contract.

Why wouldn't they? Doesn't any sports success in KC benefit the Chiefs?

aturnis
07-12-2015, 03:50 PM
If the signing rumor is true that would be sweet. Our defense would be ready to go roll like thunder with Houston happy and content. Besides maybe the Bills who would be better? No one.

Truthiness.

MGM
07-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Assuming Houston gets a 6 yr deal. If KC drafts a QB next season, he works out, and chiefs exercise the 5th year option, Houston's contract is already expired.

You were serious? Like Houston did? No way dude. If you make a defensive player a top ten paid player in the NFL then you are not drafting QBs in the first round. You are building around that guy and that is exactly why the Texans took Clowney #1.

O.city
07-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Like Houston did? No way dude. If you make a defensive player a top ten paid player in the NFL then you are not drafting QBs in the first round. You are building around that guy and that is exactly why the Texans took Clowney #1.

I've read alot of dumb shit here, but um, this is up there.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 03:55 PM
You were serious? Like Houston did? No way dude. If you make a defensive player a top ten paid player in the NFL then you are not drafting QBs in the first round. You are building around that guy and that is exactly why the Texans took Clowney #1.

This is dumb. KC needs a QB. If Alex can't get it done, the team will have to get one somewhere. Either that or waste Houston's prime, and in turn, 100mil.

MGM
07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
This is dumb. KC needs a QB. If Alex can't get it done, the team will have to get one somewhere. Either that or waste Houston's prime, and in turn, 100mil.

We aren't signing Houston to a top ten contract. Either his price will be reasonable making him the highest paid OLB or he'll walk. I think he will walk. This is a Jimmy Graham type situation. We won't pay him d-line money

MGM
07-12-2015, 04:01 PM

Yes they will get one.... One like Ryan Mallet or Brian Hoyer if they pay Houston and build around him.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 04:02 PM
We aren't signing Houston to a top ten contract. Either his price will be reasonable making him the highest paid OLB or he'll walk. I think he will walk. This is a Jimmy Graham type situation. We won't pay him d-line money

This isn't a Jimmy Graham situation. KC isn't blowing up the team.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes they will get one.... One like Ryan Mallet or Brian Hoyer if they pay Houston and build around him.

You're nuts.

MGM
07-12-2015, 04:06 PM
You're nuts.

Those are the guys the Texans signed to play QB this year. They are building around Watt.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Houston will be signed.

There is a face of the franchise, and it's not the turd behind Center.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 04:11 PM

It's GOING to be talked about ANYWAY.

If the Chiefs want the contract to count, they have to file it BY THE DEADLINE. If they file it, then it will be reported by ESPN, NFL.com, and every other sports media outlet, including local KC sources. THAT will overshadow the Royals ASG.

MGM
07-12-2015, 04:11 PM
This isn't a Jimmy Graham situation. KC isn't blowing up the team.

Graham wanted to be paid like a WR. He challenged the tag as a TE with the league. It is similar in that top tier TEs make less than WRs. OLBs make less than top tier DE and DT. That's where the problem might be. He probably wants to be paid for production instead of position and it doesn't work like that.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Because they'd be signing their Franchise player to a gigantic contract.

I think that most press conferences are pretty silly but I'm sure they'll all want to talk about Houston as a player and team leader, how he's been locked up for years and the size of the contract.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 04:12 PM
It's GOING to be talked about ANYWAY.

If the Chiefs want the contract to count, they have to file it BY THE DEADLINE. If they file it, then it will be reported by ESPN, NFL.com, and every other sports media outlet, including local KC sources. THAT will overshadow the Royals ASG.

The deadline is Wednesday. The ASG will be over with.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-12-2015, 04:14 PM
I don't remember Dorsey saying much publicly about Hudson other than that hey were working on it. Dorsey has been pretty public that they want to keep Houston and sounds pretty confident about it. The Chiefs over the years have been terrible about a lot of things. The one thing they've been good at is keeping the players they really, really like.

Maybe overconfident. But to me, that sounds like they know how much money he wants and that they'll come to terms. This time last year, we were sweating about Jamaal Charles and they pulled off a deal at the very last minute. We'll see.

More over he and Clark have made definitive statements that Justin isn't going anywhere. I've never heard them speak so directly on any player. At all.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 04:14 PM
They can fax it over at 3:55pm EST on Wednesday and still make the deadline.

Personally if this is true, I think it shows a tremendous amount of class and respect for not only the Royals organization and players but for the city as well.

Let the Boys of Summer have the spotlight.

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 04:15 PM
The deadline is Wednesday. The ASG will be over with.

WTF. I'm an idiot. I thought it was on Wednesday.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 04:15 PM
WTF. I'm an idiot. I thought it was on Wednesday.

Lol. Love you. :creepy stare:

MGM
07-12-2015, 04:18 PM
I hope they keep him and make him the highest paid OLB in the league. That should be easy. Just don't give him Watt or Suh kinda top ten money. Clay Mathews makes like $12.8 million a year I think and is the highest paid OLB in the league. Somewhere between that and Watt is what he needs to get. Like $14-15 million a year.

-King-
07-12-2015, 04:19 PM
They always do a press conference. Even for piddly signings. Those pc's may not focus specifically on that signing, but they give an excuse to have a pc.

The more hype and excitement they drum up, the more money they make.

Did they do one for Dwayne Bowe? Or Alex Smith? I know they do them for new signings but I can't remember a press conference for a re-signing.
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR
07-12-2015, 04:20 PM
I really hope MGM is Black Bob. I don't want to live in a world where there are TWO people who are that fucking stupid

The Franchise
07-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Did they do one for Dwayne Bowe? Or Alex Smith? I know they do them for new signings but I can't remember a press conference for a re-signing.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bet they would for their franchise tagged player.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I assume so. Again, they may not be exclusively about the signing and the player won't be present, but they usually have one.

Talk about the deal, answer questions, talk about and answer questions on other business.

BossChief
07-12-2015, 04:24 PM
If true, weatherman is the newly crowned king of the underworld.

-King-
07-12-2015, 04:25 PM
I bet they would for their franchise tagged player.

Bowe was franchise tagged also. And if they didn't do it for their QB, I don't know if they'll do it for Houston.

I could be completely wrong though. Maybe they did do press conferences for Smith and Bowe. I just don't recall them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
07-12-2015, 04:27 PM
I've been getting these updates from Weatherman for years on Facebook. I can't think of a time he's been wrong. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt due to past experience, but I'm cautiously optimistic until it's done.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd like to thank the Clarks

-King-
07-12-2015, 04:33 PM
I'd like to thank the Clarks
That was before his re-signing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty sure they'd do a presser given the circumstances, and also because Houston is universally hailed and respected among the base.

DaneMcCloud
07-12-2015, 04:50 PM
That was before his re-signing.
Posted via Mobile Device

To answer your question, yes, there was a press conference for both Bowe's and Smith's signings.

aturnis
07-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Alex Smith Contract Presser

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Press-Conference-91-Alex-Smith/e45b5e11-0c2a-473f-9a79-dbb666755a9b

Don't know why anyone would see this out of the ordinary. It's a business, any press release is publicity. The news stations need footage to roll, etc.

-King-
07-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Alex Smith Contract Presser

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Press-Conference-91-Alex-Smith/e45b5e11-0c2a-473f-9a79-dbb666755a9b

Don't know why anyone would see this out of the ordinary. It's a business, any press release is publicity. The news stations need footage to roll, etc.
Alex Smith was going to interview with the media anyway. That was an after practice interview that just happened to coincide with him signing a new deal. It's not like the chiefs callled it to announce the deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
07-12-2015, 05:10 PM
If true, this is a huge deal.

MGM
07-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Too much. I hope it's not true. If it is I hope it is front loaded and we can get out if we need to

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Too much. I hope it's not true. If it is I hope it is front loaded and we can get out if we need to

Is it coming out your pocketbook, Daddy Warbucks?

No?

STFU