PDA

View Full Version : Royals 2009 Kansas City Royals Repository.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

DeezNutz
06-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Don't forget putting a .218 hitter in the #2 hole (Hernandez on Saturday).

LMAO

DeezNutz
06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Doesn't gil have a no-trade clause? or am i wrong? I really hope they listen, i wonder if they Angels would part with any of their guys that they'd rather block, like brandon wood etc...

Yes, he does. Honestly, who wouldn't volunteer to get out of this organization, though?

ChiTown
06-22-2009, 01:32 PM

I thought it was a brilliant move. By brilliant, I mean one step closer to having his ass on the way out the door.

Dartgod
06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought it was a brilliant move. By brilliant, I mean one step closer to having his ass on the way out the door.
I honestly haven't been paying much attention lately, but I was shocked when I got to the park and saw the lineup. Was that something new, or has Hillman been playing him in that spot? It's complete dumbassery either way.

DeezNutz
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I honestly haven't been paying much attention lately, but I was shocked when I got to the park and saw the lineup. Was that something new, or has Hillman been playing him in that spot? It's complete dumbassery either way.

I thought you were making fun of pete, who used to clamor for Hernandez to be in the lineup.

tomahawk kid
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM

I was at the game on Saturday and seriously considered leaving when they announced Hernandez hitting in the 2 hole.

Freaking embarassing.

DeezNutz
06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Why wouldn't you want to put a .218 hitter, who has NEVER done anything at the ML level, in a position to get a lot of ABs? /Trey Edwards/

ChiTown
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Why wouldn't you want to put a .218 hitter, who has NEVER done anything at the ML level, in a position to get a lot of ABs? /Trey Edwards/

ROFL
Trey Edwards, I like it.....

Sure-Oz
06-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I would love for trey to start hernandez batting cleanup...he's scrappy!

petegz28
06-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Well, he was in for Bloomy and Bloomy bats #2 /Trey Edwards

The fact of the matter is that Guillen, like him or not, belongs in the #4 spot (on this team) with Teahen or AC #5 putting Jacobs down to #7.

Reerun_KC
06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Gotta love these guys...

Demonpenz
06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Whew we will sacrifice some of that monster power jacobs to put the ball in play.

petegz28
06-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Whew we will sacrifice some of that monster power jacobs to put the ball in play.

Now, now...we all know Trey is aggresive.

gblowfish
06-22-2009, 04:04 PM
If you want to read some unbelievable BS, check out this piece of crap story on the KC Royals Website today:

KANSAS CITY -- The story begins with two Minor League baseball players sitting in an airport in New Orleans in June 2004.

John Buck was a Triple-A catcher in the Houston organization who had just been included in a trade for an outfielder from Kansas City named Carlos Beltran.

The other was a Triple-A outfielder with the Omaha Royals named David DeJesus. He had just been called up to replace Beltran.

Buck and DeJesus had sat in the airport and talked. They were heading to the Majors, and they had no idea what was coming.

"We were sitting there together, not sure if we were gonna play." DeJesus said.

The Kansas City Royals will play the Houston Astros on Wednesday, a day that marks the five-year anniversary of the trade that sent franchise cornerstone Carlos Beltran to Houston in exchange for Buck and Oakland Minor Leaguers Mark Teahen and Mike Wood.

The trade signaled the end of one Royals rebuilding phase and the beginning of a new one.

Five years later, Beltran is in New York, starting in center field for the Mets. Wood is no longer with the organization.

There isn't much left around here from the summer of 2004. The Royals have a new general manager, a new manager and a newly renovated stadium.

Starting pitcher Zack Greinke, who made his debut in 2004 at age 20, is the only pitcher left.

But Buck, Teahen and DeJesus are still here -- trying to turn the tide after years of baseball misfortune in Kansas City. The Royals went 58-104 in 2004 and then followed it up with a 106-loss season in 2005 and 100 losses in 2006.

There's a feeling around the clubhouse that those nightmare seasons from a few years ago are over, that the Royals are headed in the right direction.

"Seeing where the team is now, compared to where it was when I got here, it's leaps and bounds better," Buck said.

But then there's the fact that the Royals' promising 18-11 start in 2009 has evaporated into a 29-39 record. The Royals, who have been ravaged by injuries and inconsistency, have gone 11-28 in their last 39 games.

"Obviously, it needs to continue to get better," Buck said.

Buck can tell you exactly where he was when he heard the news. He was in New Orleans, playing for Houston's Triple-A affiliate against the Omaha Royals.

In a blur, Buck was packing his things and heading to the airport. His destination: Kansas City.

Buck saw DeJesus at the airport. They didn't know each other well, but they had played against each other for years in the Minors.

"I didn't realize I'd end up being real good friends with him," Buck said. "I just kind of remember being numb to the whole situation."

Teahen was playing for Triple-A Sacramento in the Athletics' organization when he heard the news.

Teahen would finish out the year with Triple-A Omaha, and make the Royals' Opening Day roster in 2005.

"It was a time of transition and a couple of bad years to start there," Teahen said. "I kind of got thrown into the fire. I kind of had to learn on the fly."

Teahen played in 130 games in 2005. Buck played 118 and DeJesus played in 122.

But they were surrounded by veterans as the Royals tried to piece together a lineup.

"The first couple years, it was like, 'Let's just try to get through the season and learn something along the way,' '' Buck said. "It's changed for the better, but obviously we need to keep getting better."

Buck buzzed about the Royals clubhouse on Sunday before the Royals game against the Cardinals. He's trying to come back after a trip to the disabled list for back spasms.

Mike Jacobs sat at his locker a few feet away. Coco Crisp's locker is in the corner next to Buck's. Billy Butler and Willie Bloomquist played cards at a table a few feet away.

None of these faces were here when Buck showed up in 2004. And for him, that's reason to hope.

"We definitely feel we have the team. We've just been underachieving and not doing things right," Buck said. "Where we were, as far as a pitching staff and a team, you can't argue that we're not better."

Teahen agrees with Buck. There's talent on this team, he says.

"Hopefully, the organization is kind of stabilizing, and there will be more guys here for extended periods of time," Teahen said.

It's been five years since Buck sat in that airport in New Orleans with DeJesus. Five years since the deal changed the lives of Buck, Teahen and DeJesus.

They're still searching for the right combination in Kansas City, and right now, there are no easy answers. But Buck has hope that the organization that wanted him in 2004 is finally headed in the right direction.

"If you're not looking forward in a positive way," Buck said. "In my mind you're defeated."

Buck doesn't even start.
Teahen can't find a permanent position. He's at third because Gordon is hurt. Gordon comes back, where do you put him?
This is what we got for Beltran, and this pissed me off.

DeJesus sucks on offense. Can't steal bases, Royals have traded for both Gathright and Crisp to replace him in Center.

Talk about Baghdad Bob Quality Spin Meistering!

DeezNutz
06-22-2009, 04:08 PM
The trade signaled the end of one Royals rebuilding phase and the beginning of a new one.

ROFL

ROYals BASEball...

No one could write that with a straight face.

Deberg_1990
06-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Royaaaals Basssebbball..... Endless rebuilding mode. Catch the Fever!!

Deberg_1990
06-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Royaaaals Basssebbball..... Spring Training Champions!!!

sportsman1
06-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Can we officially rename this thread 2009 Kansas City Royals suppository?

MIAdragon
06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
fuck it tank this bitch, Bryce Harper FTMFW. You can out suck the Nats right?

petegz28
06-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I thought you were making fun of pete, who used to clamor for Hernandez to be in the lineup.

In the lineup, yea. #2 spot? Fuck no!

Sure-Oz
06-22-2009, 08:46 PM
In the lineup, yea. #2 spot? **** no!

Him and Pena JR have no business starting at SS, although he might bat .220

Coach
06-23-2009, 04:13 AM
ROFL

5 years later, the Royals haven't turned SHIT!

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090622&content_id=5467816&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Five years later, Royals turning corner
Buck, DeJesus, Teahen now anchors after Beltran deal

By Rustin Dodd / MLB.com

06/22/09 3:32 PM ET

KANSAS CITY -- The story begins with two Minor League baseball players sitting in an airport in New Orleans in June 2004.

John Buck was a Triple-A catcher in the Houston organization who had just been included in a trade for an outfielder from Kansas City named Carlos Beltran.

The other was a Triple-A outfielder with the Omaha Royals named David DeJesus. He had just been called up to replace Beltran.

Buck and DeJesus had sat in the airport and talked. They were heading to the Majors, and they had no idea what was coming.

"We were sitting there together, not sure if we were gonna play." DeJesus said.

The Kansas City Royals will play the Houston Astros on Wednesday, a day that marks the five-year anniversary of the trade that sent franchise cornerstone Carlos Beltran to Houston in exchange for Buck and Oakland Minor Leaguers Mark Teahen and Mike Wood.

Five years later, Beltran is in New York, starting in center field for the Mets. Wood is no longer with the organization.

There isn't much left around here from the summer of 2004. The Royals have a new general manager, a new manager and a newly renovated stadium.

Starting pitcher Zack Greinke, who made his debut in 2004 at age 20, is the only pitcher left.

But Buck, Teahen and DeJesus are still here -- trying to turn the tide after years of baseball misfortune in Kansas City. The Royals went 58-104 in 2004 and then followed it up with a 106-loss season in 2005 and 100 losses in 2006.

There's a feeling around the clubhouse that those nightmare seasons from a few years ago are over, that the Royals are headed in the right direction.

"Seeing where the team is now, compared to where it was when I got here, it's leaps and bounds better," Buck said.

But then there's the fact that the Royals' promising 18-11 start in 2009 has evaporated into a 29-39 record. The Royals, who have been ravaged by injuries and inconsistency, have gone 11-28 in their last 39 games.

"Obviously, it needs to continue to get better," Buck said.

Buck can tell you exactly where he was when he heard the news. He was in New Orleans, playing for Houston's Triple-A affiliate against the Omaha Royals.

In a blur, Buck was packing his things and heading to the airport. His destination: Kansas City.

Buck saw DeJesus at the airport. They didn't know each other well, but they had played against each other for years in the Minors.

"I didn't realize I'd end up being real good friends with him," Buck said. "I just kind of remember being numb to the whole situation."

Teahen was playing for Triple-A Sacramento in the Athletics' organization when he heard the news.

Teahen would finish out the year with Triple-A Omaha, and make the Royals' Opening Day roster in 2005.

"It was a time of transition and a couple of bad years to start there," Teahen said. "I kind of got thrown into the fire. I kind of had to learn on the fly."

Teahen played in 130 games in 2005. Buck played 118 and DeJesus played in 122.

But they were surrounded by veterans as the Royals tried to piece together a lineup.

"The first couple years, it was like, 'Let's just try to get through the season and learn something along the way,' '' Buck said. "It's changed for the better, but obviously we need to keep getting better."

Buck buzzed about the Royals clubhouse on Sunday before the Royals game against the Cardinals. He's trying to come back after a trip to the disabled list for back spasms.

Mike Jacobs sat at his locker a few feet away. Coco Crisp's locker is in the corner next to Buck's. Billy Butler and Willie Bloomquist played cards at a table a few feet away.

None of these faces were here when Buck showed up in 2004. And for him, that's reason to hope.

"We definitely feel we have the team. We've just been underachieving and not doing things right," Buck said. "Where we were, as far as a pitching staff and a team, you can't argue that we're not better."

Teahen agrees with Buck. There's talent on this team, he says.

"Hopefully, the organization is kind of stabilizing, and there will be more guys here for extended periods of time," Teahen said.

It's been five years since Buck sat in that airport in New Orleans with DeJesus. Five years since the deal changed the lives of Buck, Teahen and DeJesus.

They're still searching for the right combination in Kansas City, and right now, there are no easy answers. But Buck has hope that the organization that wanted him in 2004 is finally headed in the right direction.

"If you're not looking forward in a positive way," Buck said. "In my mind you're defeated."

Rustin Dodd is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 07:34 AM
When the anchors of your team are mark teahen and john buck, you're in trouble....

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Got this from RC, trade rumors at the time for beltran, but we opted for a MLB 3b and catcher, damnit....

what we'd get for beltran....

a few diff teams possible offers

OF Xavier Nady and 2B Josh Barfield
P Gavin Floyd and OF Marlon Byrd
3B Kevin Youkilis and C Kelly Shoppach
2B Robinson Cano and C Dioner Navarro

good lord....

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 07:40 AM
BTW-heard george brett on 610 this morning....saying the royals are 'used to 2nd place' basically meaning that they are used to losing the game and getting 2nd out of 2 teams playing and accepting it. Twibell was referring to the players not getting real upset and or throwing helmets or having frustration. Saying it seems like they don't care that much... Not sure if that was his exact words but he def. wasn't up there defending them nor was he ripping them. I only heard a few min of it though. Said Zacks slider isn't as sharp as it was the 1st 8 starts, hopes he gets it going tonight.

gblowfish
06-23-2009, 08:50 AM
I was watching channel 9 last night, and Karen Kornacki was doing this story on Hillman, and how big a bible thumper he is. He said his favorite book is James, because it talks about "adversity." He prays with his coaches every series, home and away, and doesn't pray for wins, he prays for "wisdom."

I'd say he better start praying for some wins, or he'll have plenty of time for church when he's unemployed.

I don't have anything against religious athletes, it's just that some of them don't have any fire.

Take Mike Sweeney for example. Ultra religious guy. Good player, team captain, but never won anything, and usually was the leader of a bunch of stiffs.

No offense, but give me players that scrap, and a hell raiser manager that wins, like Earl Weaver or Lou Pinella.

Deberg_1990
06-23-2009, 09:07 AM
BTW-heard george brett on 610 this morning....saying the royals are 'used to 2nd place' basically meaning that they are used to losing the game and getting 2nd out of 2 teams playing and accepting it. Twibell was referring to the players not getting real upset and or throwing helmets or having frustration. Saying it seems like they don't care that much... Not sure if that was his exact words but he def. wasn't up there defending them nor was he ripping them. I only heard a few min of it though. Said Zacks slider isn't as sharp as it was the 1st 8 starts, hopes he gets it going tonight.

I think thats a HUGE problem. The whole organization from the top down has ZERO passion or fire.

It all starts with Mr. Wal Mart.

petegz28
06-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I was watching channel 9 last night, and Karen Kornacki was doing this story on Hillman, and how big a bible thumper he is. He said his favorite book is James, because it talks about "adversity." He prays with his coaches every series, home and away, and doesn't pray for wins, he prays for "wisdom."

I'd say he better start praying for some wins, or he'll have plenty of time for church when he's unemployed.

I don't have anything against religious athletes, it's just that some of them don't have any fire.

Take Mike Sweeney for example. Ultra religious guy. Good player, team captain, but never won anything, and usually was the leader of a bunch of stiffs.

No offense, but give me players that scrap, and a hell raiser manager that wins, like Earl Weaver or Lou Pinella.

Might as well pray for wins, cause the wisdom prayer isn't paying off....ROFL

KCUnited
06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Dayton was on after Brett, said injuries have been the Royals biggest challenge this year.

petegz28
06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Dayton was on after Brett, said injuries have been the Royals biggest challenge this year.

Yeah, because Avilles and his .200 avg and lack of defense is what we need. And I guess injuries are the reason Mike Jacobs can't hit the fucking ball for anything other than a pop fly....assuming he hits it at all.

The only injury that can quantifiably be said to have hurt this team was Coco. Gordon wasn't doing shit before he got hurt. Neither was Avilles or Buck. And in turn Bloomy is playing out of his shoes which is better than we were getting out of Avilles and Gordon anyway. We never had a save situation to say Soria's injury hurt us.

So I fail to see the logic behind his statement.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
we are 4-10 in 1 run games, having soria out definetly hurt us

As for gordon and aviles, who knows they may have started hitting and it might help a bit. we'd probably be 5 or 6 games under instead of 10. We still have a ton of holes dayton.

MIAdragon
06-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Got this from RC, trade rumors at the time for beltran, but we opted for a MLB 3b and catcher, damnit....

good lord....

Ouch on those last 2

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM

good lord....

Well, that list is fucking disgusting.

petegz28
06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Well, that list is ****ing disgusting.

Yea, it would have sucked to have Youkilis and Shoppach

petegz28
06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
we are 4-10 in 1 run games, having soria out definetly hurt us

As for gordon and aviles, who knows they may have started hitting and it might help a bit. we'd probably be 5 or 6 games under instead of 10. We still have a ton of holes dayton.

We weren't in very many 1-run games while he was out.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 12:43 PM

I think he's disgusted on what we DIDN'T get...i would've loved the picks instead of what we got, but hell navarro and youk would've been nice or cano...the team would look alot different. Of course many thought Youk would walk alot and not hit for much power.

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 12:44 PM

All 4 of those options are better than what we received. ROFL

The Royals would ruin a wet dream.

petegz28
06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I think he's disgusted on what we DIDN'T get...i would've loved the picks instead of what we got, but hell navarro and youk would've been nice or cano...the team would look alot different. Of course many thought Youk would walk alot and not hit for much power.

I know...I was being sarcastic.....

Deberg_1990
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
At the time, wasnt Teahan highly regarded by some people??

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
At the time, wasnt Teahan highly regarded by some people??

He was considered a 'money ball' prospect and possibly a jason giambi, whoever the hell decided that should not have a scouting job anymore. I heard he had a good eye and drew walks and could have power down the line....

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
He was considered a 'money ball' prospect and possibly a jason giambi, whoever the hell decided that should not have a scouting job anymore. I heard he had a good eye and drew walks and could have power down the line....

He's a big dude. I can understand how someone could look at him and think he'd be a masher, eventually. Same thing with Butterball. No way someone can be that fucking big and be a singles hitter.

Alas, we know better.

CoMoChief
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM

Man he was WAAAAAAAAAAY off on that one.

You're right, he should be fired on that comparison alone.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
He's a big dude. I can understand how someone could look at him and think he'd be a masher, eventually. Same thing with Butterball. No way someone can be that ****ing big and be a singles hitter.

Alas, we know better.

I agree he is a big guy, with a weird body imo...but i could see that. He is definetly pretty versatile but i wish he hit for power. That run he had a few years ago was insane, too bad we will never see it again. It's hard not to root for him, but man i wouldn't mind him if we had actual stars around. Billllaaayyy had good power in the minors, i hope he can find it here. Atleast he is doing somthing i guess but we need more than a fat hal morris. I hope Gordon comes around and hits for power and an avg higher than .260

Demonpenz
06-23-2009, 01:08 PM
our minor league coaches suck anyways

Demonpenz
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Teahen Hit a ball oppo field 410 at skydome this year. He has power to all fields. He just doesn't hit them out often enough.

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I agree he is a big guy, with a weird body imo...but i could see that. He is definetly pretty versatile but i wish he hit for power. That run he had a few years ago was insane, too bad we will never see it again. It's hard not to root for him, but man i wouldn't mind him if we had actual stars around. Billllaaayyy had good power in the minors, i hope he can find it here. Atleast he is doing somthing i guess but we need more than a fat hal morris. I hope Gordon comes around and hits for power and an avg higher than .260

If we hang on to Gordon, Butler, and Teahen past the trade deadline, I'd sign all three of them to long-term contracts.

They're ML hitters. Now let's focus on getting a star/power bat, come hell or high water.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Teahen Hit a ball oppo field 410 at skydome this year. He has power to all fields. He just doesn't hit them out often enough.

Isn't that what they say about ichiro? so in essence he's our white ichiro without the batting avg and speed, but he is a good base runner and has a good arm for the OF

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 01:15 PM
If we hang on to Gordon, Butler, and Teahen past the trade deadline, I'd sign all three of them to long-term contracts.

They're ML hitters. Now let's focus on getting a star/power bat, come hell or high water.

That is probably a good idea, i bet none of them get traded, i'd be shocked.

Demonpenz
06-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Isn't that what they say about ichiro? so in essence he's our white ichiro without the batting avg and speed, but he is a good base runner and has a good arm for the OF

I've never seen Ichiro park one opposite field. I love Ichiro as much as the next guy, but people drink the Jap Saki Piss Glass way too much on him.

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 01:27 PM
That is probably a good idea, i bet none of them get traded, i'd be shocked.

Me, too.

Their value is almost exclusive to the Royals.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Crisp to undergo surgery, out for the season

Manager Trey Hillman revealed that Coco Crips will undergo right shoulder surgery Wednesday and miss the remainder of the season.
The Royals confirmed that Crisp's labrum is torn and will be repaired by Dr. James Andrews. Hitting just .228 with a .378 slugging percentage, the injury has been affecting Crisp's swing throughout the first two and half months of the season. Mitch Maier will likely take over full-time in center field, though he has modest fantasy value in AL-only leagues. Jun. 23 - 6:46 pm et
Source: MLBlogs.com

Reaper16
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
We threw away Ram-Ram for nothing. Poo.

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Be tough for our off-season acquisitions to flame out any more than they have.

Congrats, Dayton!

petegz28
06-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Be tough for our off-season acquisitions to flame out any more than they have.

Congrats, Dayton!

No shit. The one we had that was worth a shit just went down for the season. We are literally the same team as last year + Bloomy. Jacobs does nothing more than fill the spot of Gordon and his K's.

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
No shit. The one we had that was worth a shit just went down for the season. We are literally the same team as last year + Bloomy. Jacobs does nothing more than fill the spot of Gordon and his K's.

Only worse.

We're down on Gordon b/c of what he was "supposed to be," but the dude is at least a viable ML player. Jacobs isn't even 1/2 player that Alex is, honestly.

For the record, I expect Bloomquist to start looking like what his career stats suggest he should be. Soon he'll be overexposed.

DeezNutz
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Kinda old news, what with the win tonight, but JoPo's blog is still a good read:

http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/1271307.html

Notes from the road: Royals used to routs

So, we’re on an old-fashioned family vacation. The only thing missing, really, is the wood-paneled station wagon, and that’s only because we couldn’t find one.

This week, the family is out driving the highways and byways of America, a multi-thousand-mile car ride that will wind around to various places and ultimately end up (I hope) in Toronto.

Already, the trip has taken us by Hamilton, Mo., which is the birthplace of Hall of Famer Zack Wheat and James Cash Penney, who, as you can tell by the initials, is better known as J.C. Penney. I’m fascinated by stuff like this. It blows my mind that Walt Disney and Mark Twain both moved to Missouri towns when they were 4 years old … and those towns are roughly 90 miles apart on Highway 36. We went by those towns, too … maybe my next book should be about Highway 36.

We already have eaten incredibly bad food — I cannot believe I fell for the KFC trap again — and stayed at one shaky hotel (though the beds were comfortable) and gotten stuck in a tollbooth line that moved slower than a Molina and (twice) done the “scrape the bug remains off the windshield” dance. It’s all good.

And I’ll watch sports from a distance for a little while … that will be good, too. I have noticed that the Royals just went on a stretch where they lost 12-5, 12-5, 10-5, 7-1 and 12-5. That’s staggeringly bad.

In fact, it’s so bad that against my better judgment, I did my best to look back and see when was the last time the Royals lost five games in a row by at least five runs. And, best I can tell, the answer is: Never. Yeah, that’s right: Never.

Even during their worst moments, and there have been some really terrible moments, they had never done this before (unless I missed it somewhere) … see, it’s hard to lose by five runs or more night after night.

The Royals have now lost 18 games by five or more runs … most in baseball. That fits. Last year, they lost by five or more 31 times, most in the American League. The year before that, they lost by five or more 30 times, second-most in the league to Tampa.

In 2006, yeah, 36 times, most in baseball. In 2005, yeah, 37 times, most in baseball. In 2004, yeah, 37 times. Tied for most in baseball.

Since 2004, combined, the Royals have lost 188 times by five runs or more — that’s 29 more losses than the next-closest team (the Cincinnati Reds).

Plain and simple fact: No team the last few years has had to endure more butt-kickings than the Royals. And even with that, they had never lost five games in a row by five runs or more. Something else to put on the résumé.

Albert Pujols, by the way, is now hitting .394/.490/.733 with 14 homers and 50 RBIs in 42 games against the Royals. Don’t tell me that he wasn’t insulted by the Royals passing on him in the draft.

Deberg_1990
06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Albert Pujols, by the way, is now hitting .394/.490/.733 with 14 homers and 50 RBIs in 42 games against the Royals. Don’t tell me that he wasn’t insulted by the Royals passing on him in the draft.

Ouch. Good Lord, ill bet he wishes he could play KC every night.

Sure-Oz
06-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Kyle Farnsworth-R-Royals Jun. 25 - 8:55 pm et

Kyle Farnsworth is out with a torn groin muscle, according to MLB.com.
Farnsworth said tests revealed it to be a "grade two" tear, although the Royals haven't announced his prognosis yet. He is 1-4 this year with a 4.24 ERA in 27 games. Stay tuned.

KCUnited
06-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Kyle Farnsworth-R-Royals Jun. 25 - 8:55 pm et

Kyle Farnsworth is out with a torn groin muscle, according to MLB.com.
Farnsworth said tests revealed it to be a "grade two" tear, although the Royals haven't announced his prognosis yet. He is 1-4 this year with a 4.24 ERA in 27 games. Stay tuned.
We should sit him for a few and see if the inflammation subsides. Maybe run him back out in a big lead situation in a couple days and see how he does. He's just a little tender.

OmahaChief
06-26-2009, 07:45 AM
We should sit him for a few and see if the inflammation subsides. Maybe run him back out in a big lead situation in a couple days and see how he does. He's just a little tender.

I was thinking the same thing. Have him alternate ice and heat for a day or two and let him pitch in a meaningless game to test it out.

Sure-Oz
06-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Davies start at AAA

8 ip 3 hits 1er 1bb 8k

gets the W and 98 pitches....wtf davies

KCUnited
06-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Davies start at AAA

8 ip 3 hits 1er 1bb 8k

gets the W and 98 pitches....wtf davies
Its all in Davies head. If he could just locate his fastball, he'd be a good 4th.

Demonpenz
06-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Have him alternate ice and heat for a day or two and let him pitch in a meaningless game to test it out.

when you are 9 games below 500 they are all meaningless

Mojo Jojo
06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
This season just keeps getting better...
Sidney Ponson tested positive for stimulates during the World Baseball Classic. Has been suspended from international play for two years...can a MLB suspension be far behind?

Sure-Oz
06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
This season just keeps getting better...
Sidney Ponson tested positive for stimulates during the World Baseball Classic. Has been suspended from international play for two years...can a MLB suspension be far behind?

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/v-print/story/1287715.html

Posted on Fri, Jun. 26, 2009
Royals' Ponson tested positive for stimulant at WBC
The Associated Press

Royals pitcher Sidney Ponson tested positive for a stimulant during the World Baseball Classic and has been banned from international competition for two years.

Major League Baseball will not suspend Ponson. Under the drug rules, he will be treated as a first-time offender and is subject to a medical review and fine.

The 32-year-old Ponson pitched well for the Netherlands last March in the WBC and later signed with Kansas City. He is 1-5 with a 7.27 ERA for the Royals and is on the disabled list because of a strained right elbow.

The International Baseball Federation said Ponson tested positive for Phentermine. Chicago Cubs catcher Geovany Soto tested positive for marijuana at the WBC.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Meche with a dead arm--I'm sure this is coincidence and not tied to overuse, Trey--and some names floated for potential trades. Basically everyone is available, save Greinke, Soria, and Meche.

Big mistake if the team isn't at least listening to offers for Meche, unless his latest arm problems are affecting the potential returns.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1294958.html

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Meche with a dead arm--I'm sure this is coincidence and not tied to overuse, Trey--and some names floated for potential trades. Basically everyone is available, save Greinke, Soria, and Meche.

Big mistake if the team isn't at least listening to offers for Meche, unless his latest arm problems are affecting the potential returns.

I knew that 132 pitch effort would screw Meche.... apparently they are going to test him arm with tosses today or something. I am excited to see what moves happen, i don't think we'll trade butler or gordon but atleast their names are out there now...Meche should also be out there this year or next imo

I also think they should listen for Soria as well imo...i heard florida called but they told them they dont want to move him.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 09:30 AM
I knew that 132 pitch effort would screw Meche.... apparently they are going to test him arm with tosses today or something. I am excited to see what moves happen, i don't think we'll trade butler or gordon but atleast their names are out there now...Meche should also be out there this year or next imo

I also think they should listen for Soria as well imo...i heard florida called but they told them they dont want to move him.

I agree about Soria. Be interested to know what the potential return could be.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Finally got around to reading the whole article...from Meche
“I won’t know anything until (today),” he said. “Am I concerned? Wouldn’t you be? I was throwing 87-88 miles an hour (on Friday). So, yeah, I’m concerned.”

That worries me as a fan that he is worried a bit....i say sit him regardless.

Deberg_1990
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Trade all of them except for Greinke, Hoch and Soria. Im serious, there is no hitter i would shed any tears over losing.

petegz28
06-29-2009, 12:21 PM

I am ready to see Meche go. I liked why we brought him in and what he did for us. That being said....he can go now.

petegz28
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree about Soria. Be interested to know what the potential return could be.

Soria I am not thriiled about trading at all. We have one solid starter...and he is our only closer worth a fuck. We have 1 decent bat in Butler to grow on.

Those are 3 I would not want to let go unless we are getting some serious talent. And I don't mean John Buck\Mark Teahen talent. You want the best closer in baseball, you are upping a legitimate bat.

Pioli Zombie
06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I am ready to see Meche go. I liked why we brought him in and what he did for us. That being said....he can go now.

You know guys, not every pitcher is a #1. Meche doesn't exactly suck. And you need 5 starters. I'm not saying you don't listen to offers, but it cracks me up on here the expectations for these starters. Davies pitched 3 terrific games in a row at one point and the team scored like 2 runs for him. The problem is the offense. They can't hit at all. And the fielding sucks too. I'd give the starting pitching, even beyond Grienke, solid grades for their overall work this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTown
06-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Trade all of them except for Greinke, Hoch and Soria. Im serious, there is no hitter i would shed any tears over losing.

Yep

The only one remotely close would be Billy Butler. Then again, unless he finds some power in that bat, I haven't much use for a 3 hole (lmfao), DH, singles hitter with no speed.

Anyone read Rany's update from the 24th? Here it is, if you haven't.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Release The Hounds.

Among the many things that have made the Royals’ long and almost uninterrupted stretch of futility even more exasperating is that it has occurred under the watch of so many different people. Since 1995, when the Royals began their stretch of 13 losing seasons in 14 years (soon to be 14 in 15), the Royals have operated under three different general managers; five different full-time managers; and more hitting and (especially) pitching coaches than I can count. Heck, they’ve even had two owners in that stretch, if you count the leaderless Kauffman Trust as an “owner”.

The losing might be more understandable if it happened on the watch of a single, woefully incompetent front office, like the Detroit Lions under Matt Millen. It’s more mystifying, and harder to accept, when the losing transcends administrations. The stench of the Royals is so overpowering that it immediately infects whoever is so unfortunate to get hired to work at the Truman Sports Complex.

But what if I told you that there is, in fact, one person who has been with the Royals for the last 15 years? What if I told you that he occupied a position of considerable importance; that by all appearances he was as bad at his job as anyone in the organization; and that, despite this, he enjoys unparalleled job security? Wouldn’t that trouble you a little?

It certainly troubles me. It especially troubles me that, even though this person is having probably their worst year ever in 2009, no one – not the team, not the media, not even the fans – seems to be pointing fingers in his direction.

So let me be the one to crash the party here and say what needs to be said: Nick Swartz needs to be fired. Immediately.

I have long hesitated to wade into a discussion about the team’s medical staff, because as a physician myself I’m paranoid that someone might use my credentials inappropriately in this discussion. So let me be clear: in advocating for Swartz’s dismissal, I am not speaking as some sort of expert witness. I do not have access to any of the players’ medical records, and am not basing my opinion on some sort of medical expertise. I am arguing as a fan, and using the evidence that is available to all fans – the results on the field.

Swartz has been the Head Athletic Trainer for the Royals since 1991, replacing a legend in Mickey Cobb. Despite the fact that he has been the team’s trainer for nearly two decades, Swartz is in no danger of becoming a legend himself. Far from it: his reputation around baseball is not stellar. Over at Baseball Prospectus, our injury guru Will Carroll created the Dick Martin Award in 2003 to honor the best training staff in the majors each season. In the six seasons that he’s been handing out the award, the Royals have been conspicuous in their absence from even consideration for the award.

If there was an award for worst training staff in the majors, the Royals would be the runaway leaders at this point in the season. Let’s document some of the medical decisions that have been made:

1) While warming up in the bullpen as Zack Greinke finished off a shutout in Texas on April 18th, Joakim Soria felt a twinge in his shoulder. The Royals decided to keep things quiet, even though Soria did not pitch in a game where he was obviously needed on April 19th. Soria would wobble through a save situation on April 22nd, after which Trey Hillman finally came clean and admitted that Soria was hurting. The Royals shut him down for a few days but did not put him on the DL, and he was back in action on May 2nd – and pitched again the very next day. When he took the mound again on May 7th, Soria suffered through his worst outing of the season – and then finally went on the DL, and did not return until June 3rd.

2) Mike Aviles, after hitting .325 as a rookie last year, hits just .194 with one homer in his first 32 games this season, before finally coming clean on May 14th and admitting that his forearm was bothering him. Instead of putting him on the DL, the Royals give him a few days off, then put him back in the lineup on May 20th. Aviles goes 1-for-12 over the next four days, then finally goes on the DL, and his injury turned out to be serious enough that he eventually was evaluated by Tommy John surgery guru Dr. Lewis Yocum. While he hasn’t undergone surgery – yet – his return is still unclear.

And, of course, the coup de grace:

3) Coco Crisp got off to a great start for the Royals, and as late as May 20th was hitting .245/.360/.429. On May 21st Crisp sat out with a sore shoulder, which was the first sign that he had any kind of an injury. The Royals downplayed the seriousness of it. “His shoulder is tender. Occasionally it’s going to get that way,” Hillman said.

Crisp was back in the lineup the next day, and played in five consecutive games, but was just 2-for-16 in that span. On May 26th Crisp was pulled from the game after four innings after he had difficulty swinging the bat from the left side. At that point we learned that Crisp’s shoulder problem was not a new one. “Although Crisp has been bothered by a sore shoulder periodically since Spring Training, he’d played in 44 of the Royals’ 46 games.” Hillman also let us know that the soreness worsened in late April. “It got a little worse three weeks to a month into the season,” Hillman said. “There was some soreness, but not as much as there has been recently.” Through April 25th, Crisp was hitting .262/.384/.525. From that point until May 26th, he hit just .216/.329/.324.

Crisp was kept out of the lineup for the next four days, and then went on the bereavement list for three more when his great-grandmother passed away. He returned on June 4th and went straight back into the lineup. He was 0-for-7 over the next two days, then once again was rested for three days – two games along with an off-day. He returned to the lineup on June 9th, then sat on the 10th because the Royals didn’t feel he was 100% batting left-handed. Even at this point, the Royals were downplaying his injury:

“I think there's still some discomfort in there [batting] left-handed so I thought it’d be a good opportunity to move Willie [Bloomquist] around and get T.J. [Tony Pena Jr.] back in the middle of the diamond and see how we roll there,” Hillman said…

Hillman said that holding out Crisp did not indicate more problems with the shoulder.

“No setbacks,” he said.

Crisp was back in the lineup the next day. The day after that, June 12th, Crisp was pinch-hit for by Mitch Maier in the bottom of the seventh. He did not play the following day. On the 14th, he was finally put on the DL.

“We've tried it three [days], we’ve tried it four, we've tried it six and it wasn’t enough rest to let the irritation and the inflammation settle down in that right shoulder,” Hillman said. “Through compensating for it and trying to fight through it, we’ve got to give it the rest that it needs.”

On June 19th, Crisp headed to see Dr. James Andrews after the team feared that what they thought was a strained rotator cuff was in fact a torn labrum. “I don’t know what it is yet,” general manager Dayton Moore cautioned. “We’re going to get a second opinion, but he’s been battling this for about five weeks now. He tried to play through it before we made the decision to put him on the disabled list.

Yesterday, Andrews confirmed the worst; Crisp underwent surgery today and is out for the year. He may not even be ready for the start of next season - it is quite possible that his time in a Royals uniform is over.

I don’t know about you, but to me, the handling of Coco Crisp’s shoulder injury is by itself a fireable offense. Crisp was playing – terribly, mind you – with a bum shoulder FOR FIVE WEEKS, and even after his shoulder pain became severe enough that he could no longer play, the Royals kept shuffling him in and out of the lineup for three weeks, putting him back out there as soon as the pain became tolerable again.

But the pain didn’t go away. It only got worse, and presumably his shoulder only got worse. The question that no one can answer is whether, five weeks ago, Crisp already had a torn labrum, or whether the injury occurred while trying to play through the inflammation. We can’t answer it, but we sure as hell can speculate. As far as I’m concerned, the Royals’ ham-fisted approach to Coco Crisp’s shoulder turned an injury which might have healed with a few weeks of rest into a season-ender.

The ham-fisted approach to Soria’s shoulder turned a quick 15-day DL stint into a six-week drama. We don’t know the nature of Aviles’ prognosis yet, but the fact that the Royals commandeered him into playing again even after he came clean with the injury certainly could not have helped.

This is a trend, people. When the Royals downplay the extent of an injury, then give the player a few days off before sticking him back out there, and only later realize the injury was worse than expected THREE TIMES in the span of less than three months, this is not bad luck. This is incompetence, plain and simple. And while Hillman and Moore are the ones quoted above, they’re making those decisions based on the medical information they’ve been given. And the point man for all that information is Nick Swartz.

Oh, and I didn’t even mention the decision to let Gil Meche pitch through his back injury. Meche has been amazingly durable since joining the Royals; he tied for the league lead with 34 starts in both 2007 and 2008, and leads the league outright this year with 15 so far. But the fact is that on April 28th, Meche gave up five runs before coming out of the game in the fourth inning with back stiffness. Despite this, Meche did not miss a start, and over his next five starts he threw just 24.1 innings and allowed 19 runs. Meche, at least, didn’t seem to aggravate his back problems by continuing to pitch every fifth day, but neither was he helping his team out.

It’s not like 2009 is such an outlier either – it seems like every year some Royals player has an injury that lingers beyond any reasonable timeframe, or an injury that we’re told for weeks is minor turns out to be season-ending.

The first time I heard concerns voiced about Nick Swartz was back in 2004, so that season I decided to monitor the team’s injury status carefully. Sure enough, Benito Santiago was hit by a pitch on June 18th and broke a bone in his hand; the original report was that he would be out 6-8 weeks. Now understand, broken bones are about the most predictable injury there is. The bone needs a certain amount of time to heal, and generally that’s all it takes – the timeframe is pretty stable. On August 3rd, Swartz was quoted as saying that Santiago should start swinging a bat by the end of the week. Instead, Santiago was done for the year. A 6-8 week injury took well over 3 months to heal.

(I must pause here to give a shout-out to Rotowire, whose excellent and completely archived list of daily player updates made much of this column possible.)

That’s a clear-cut case; there are a lot more injuries that have circumstantial evidence attached to them. Mike Sweeney signed a five-year contract after the 2002 season and then missed at least 40 games in each of them, but I think what bothered Royals fans the most was that when he was injured, he always seemed to be a week away from returning. Then that week would pass and he was still another week away; a two-week DL stint would turn into two months. By the end Sweeney earned the reputation of being a malingerer, but I wonder how much of that blame can be placed at the feet of the training staff.

Jeremy Affeldt’s blister problems came and went for the better part of two seasons – coming at a time when Affeldt looked like he could become a frontline starter if he could stay healthy – to the point where I started emailing Bob Dutton in frustration with medical advice that I hoped he would forward onto the team. (I know I said I wouldn’t bring my medical background into this, but this particular problem was right up a dermatologist’s alley.) It got to the point where I committed a terrible breach of journalistic ethics by approaching Affeldt in the Royals clubhouse in Chicago in late 2003 and introducing myself as a doctor who was writing about blister injuries in pitchers. My plan was to gently suggest the proper approach to his problem – something called a partial nail avulsion – but fortunately, by this point the Royals had finally figured out the solution on their own and Affeldt told me he was scheduled to have the surgery after the season. (To the best of my knowledge, he hasn’t had a blister since.)

But by far, the most egregious lapse in medical judgment by the Royals during Swartz’ time with the team, worse even than their mistakes with Crisp, is how they destroyed Jose Rosado’s arm. I can’t blame Swartz for what happened to Rosado in 1999, when he threw 120+ pitches seven times in the span of eight starts. But the following season, Rosado struggled in his first four starts and was noticeably laboring. He finally complained of a tired arm, and the Royals skipped his turn in the rotation one time. But they elected not to get an MRI, and on April 30th Rosado returned to the mound one more time. He gutted through 5.2 innings and even got the win, but afterwards his arm wasn’t tired; it was dead. Only then did the Royals get the MRI, and all you need to know about the results was that Rosado never pitched in the majors again. Rosado is probably the best left-handed starter the Royals have developed in the last 25 years – and his career was over at age 25.

You might be asking yourselves why I’m bringing up an injury that occurred nearly a decade ago. What does an injury that occurred in 2000 have to do with the Royals in 2009?

Nothing, if you’re Dayton Moore, or Trey Hillman, or Bob McClure, or anyone else that wasn’t a part of the organization nine years ago. The thread that connects Jose Rosado’s shoulder to Coco Crisp’s is a thin one…and it’s got Nick Swartz’s name all over it.

I’m not naïve enough to think that all of the Royals’ injury woes are the fault of Swartz, or that after firing him the team’s DL will magically empty. I’m sure that you can find some reason to absolve Swartz for every individual incident I’ve mentioned above. Maybe he gave good advice and it was ignored by the team. Maybe a player wouldn’t come clean with an injury. Maybe he did everything right and some unforeseen and unforeseeable circumstance destroyed his best-laid plans as a trainer.

If a batter goes 1-for-10, it doesn’t mean he’s a bad hitter. If he goes 10-for-100, it’s time to find a replacement. Swartz is like the batter who goes 50-for-500. The sample size is just too large. There are too many injuries that take longer than expected to heal. There are too many rehab snafus that deprive the Royals of their starting centerfielder, or destroy the career of a 25-year-old southpaw. There’s simply no way to wave off his track record as a stretch of bad luck, or to blame it on someone else. There isn’t anyone else.

Besides, the burden of proof shouldn’t be on me to prove that Swartz deserves to go; it should be on Swartz and the Royals to prove he should stay. Swartz has been the trainer for the Royals FOR NINETEEN SEASONS, the last 15 of which represent one of the worst 15-year stretches by a baseball team in major league history. EVERY SINGLE person involved with baseball operations has been replaced in that span – why should Swartz be the exception? This isn’t a court of law, it’s a sports team – when you’ve been involved with a team that’s this bad for so long, frankly, you’re guilty until proven innocent.

I doubt that Moore is going to do anything rash in mid-season; it’s not his style, as we saw with Mike Barnett last season. And my brain says that the best time to make a move is in the off-season, when the Royals can overhaul their training staff with full deliberation and due diligence. But after what’s happened to Crisp, my heart wants to see blood.

The trendy rumor du jour for the Royals is that they’ve been decimated by injuries. News flash, guys: if what’s holding you back are all the injuries, then maybe the solution is to axe the guy who’s responsible for preventing them. Nick Swartz has been that guy for far too long. It’s time to sharpen the knife.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I honestly think the power will develop for Butterball. His approach is too good, too consistent. He'll be a reg. 20-25 HR guy who also hits for average.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 02:20 PM
If he can turn into an edgar martinez that would be awesome. Power always comes later to players and i think he'll hit 15-18 hrs total before the year is over.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Also, the royals need to keep teahen at 3b as long as possible imo....his greatest value is there and now Mike Lowell is having hip issues so who knows boston might need a 3b. I think teahen can get us more if some guys out there go down hopefully.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Also, the royals need to keep teahen at 3b as long as possible imo....his greatest value is there and now Mike Lowell is having hip issues so who knows boston might need a 3b. I think teahen can get us more if some guys out there go down hopefully.

Of course I'd listen to any and all offers, but moving a guy like Teahen gives me pause. Not sure what kind of return he could bring and he has real value for the team as an ancillary piece of a contending team.

Oh well, I guess.

I don't want to see another Howell-Gathright trade.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Of course I'd listen to any and all offers, but moving a guy like Teahen gives me pause. Not sure what kind of return he could bring and he has real value for the team as an ancillary piece of a contending team.

Oh well, I guess.

I don't want to see another Howell-Gathright trade.

That trade was disgusting, im surprised moore didn't atleast try the kid out as a reliever. Perhaps he may be a temp closer for TB...he's been lights out basically.

Teahen better bring us in a guy that can play soon, perhaps in AA to start.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Dayton Moore, The Rebuild Part II.

No future sequel planned for Moore (in KC).

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 02:45 PM
The Royals offseason has been the equivalent to Transformers 2

petegz28
06-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I honestly think the power will develop for Butterball. His approach is too good, too consistent. He'll be a reg. 20-25 HR guy who also hits for average.

Agreed. He is showing good progress. Still not a #3 but a solid #5 and could be a #3 in the next couple years if he continues to progress.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
from MLBtraderumors.com

The Phillies, who are scouring the league for starters, could have interest in Gil Meche and Brian Bannister so, as David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports, the Royals scouted Lou Marson and others in Triple A.

Former Phillies assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle, now a special adviser with the Royals, was at Lehigh Valley Friday when a pair of top (phillies) prospects - Carrasco and catcher Lou Marson - were in action.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 03:09 PM
from MLBtraderumors.com

The Phillies, who are scouring the league for starters, could have interest in Gil Meche and Brian Bannister so, as David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports, the Royals scouted Lou Marson and others in Triple A.

Former Phillies assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle, now a special adviser with the Royals, was at Lehigh Valley Friday when a pair of top (phillies) prospects - Carrasco and catcher Lou Marson - were in action.

Don't know a thing about either of these guys. Did some looking, however, and it seems like Marson might be the goods. Carrasco's line, on the other hand, is not very impressive.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Don't know a thing about either of these guys. Did some looking, however, and it seems like Marson might be the goods. Carrasco's line, on the other hand, is not very impressive.

Marson is 43rd on the top 50 prospects list according to MLB.com

His #'s in AAA aren't awesome but he projects to be an everyday catcher that has a good arm and potential gap power that should hit for avg, and is athletic. We'll see if anything comes of it, i see no reason that Gil can't or won't waive his no trade clause. I think he will be old and possibly a less pitcher in the next 2-3 years when the young guys are finally up.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
From Marsons wiki page....

[edit] 2008
2008 was a breakout season for Marson, as he won the Paul Owens Award as the top minor league player in the Phillies' farm system.[11] In 94 games behind the plate for the AA Reading Phillies, Marson batted .314 with five home runs and 18 doubles. He also walked 68 times.[5] For his efforts, he was named to both the midseason and post-season Eastern League All-Star teams.[11] He led that league, and all AA-level leagues, in on-base percentage with a .433 mark[5][12] and posted a 14-game hitting streak at the end of May, during which he had a grand slam and six RBI in one game.[11] A converted infielder with a strong arm,[13] he allowed 30 baserunners in 83 stolen-base attempts for a steal percentage of 36%.[5] The Phillies purchased Marson's contract at the conclusion of the 2008 Eastern League season, and he was called up to the majors for the post-season stretch run. After the season, the Phillies' farm system director, Steve Noworyta, said that Marson "continues, like fine wine, to get better as he ages."[14] His stock as a Baseball America prospect rose from eighth in the system to third,[15] and he was named one of the top 50 prospects in Major League Baseball.[12]

2009 he's batting .259 in AAA with a .338 obp and .343 slugging % with an ops of 680

From his MLB.com page top 50 prospects...

Statistically speaking: Marson's .433 on-base percentage not only led the Phillies organization, it also led the Eastern League and all Double-A circuits in 2008. His OBP also ranked sixth among full-season hitters.

Scouting report: An athletic backstop who can hit for average and knows how to get on base. He has some extra-base power, but it's not a strength. His quick release and accurate arm enable him to throw runners out. Also has off-the-charts makeup and handles a staff well.

Upside potential: Everyday catcher in the big leagues.

They said it: "I saw him when he was a rookie. When he first signed, he was 17 years old out of Arizona. I liked him then and he's going to be a good player. He's got big hands and he can throw and he can handle the mitt. There's no reason why he can't be a good catcher." -- Phillies manager Charlie Manuel

He said it: "It was great for me to be around the guys and see how they go about their business in a pennant race and what they do every day and how they prepare -- everything like that. Just watching guys play helps me a lot." -- Marson on his big-league callup

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Carrasco is ranked 28th overall in the top 50 MLB prospects...here's what the page says

He is the phillies top prospect...

Statistically speaking: Carrasco finished 13th among all Minor Leaguers and second in his organization with 155 strikeouts. His 3.69 ERA was fifth in the system. Take away one bad start in Triple-A -- 5 IP, 9 H, 6 ER -- and the young right-hander had a 0.28 ERA (he allowed eight unearned runs) and a .224 batting average against in five starts during his Triple-A debut.

Scouting report: He can touch 95 mph with his fastball, but it usually sits at 92. His curve is average, but the changeup, which has sink, is a plus pitch at times and is particularly tough against left-handed hitters. He needs to pitch off fastball more.

Upside potential: Top-of-the-rotation right-hander, settling in behind Cole Hamels.

They said it: "He's special. The maturity factor is the biggest thing." -- Phillies Farm Director Steve Noworyta

He said it: "It was a big day. It was the biggest emotion in my life. I tried to enjoy the whole thing today." -- Carrasco on starting the Futures Game at Yankee Stadium.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Marson is 43rd on the top 50 prospects list according to MLB.com

His #'s in AAA aren't awesome but he projects to be an everyday catcher that has a good arm and potential gap power that should hit for avg, and is athletic. We'll see if anything comes of it, i see no reason that Gil can't or won't waive his no trade clause. I think he will be old and possibly a less pitcher in the next 2-3 years when the young guys are finally up.

Can we just go back in time and draft Wieters instead?

I don't like reading or thinking about things like "potential gap power." Fuck. We're now hopeful for middling power. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Carrasco is ranked 28th overall in the top 50 MLB prospects...here's what the page says

He is the phillies top prospect...

Statistically speaking: Carrasco finished 13th among all Minor Leaguers and second in his organization with 155 strikeouts. His 3.69 ERA was fifth in the system. Take away one bad start in Triple-A -- 5 IP, 9 H, 6 ER -- and the young right-hander had a 0.28 ERA (he allowed eight unearned runs) and a .224 batting average against in five starts during his Triple-A debut.

Scouting report: He can touch 95 mph with his fastball, but it usually sits at 92. His curve is average, but the changeup, which has sink, is a plus pitch at times and is particularly tough against left-handed hitters. He needs to pitch off fastball more.

Upside potential: Top-of-the-rotation right-hander, settling in behind Cole Hamels.

They said it: "He's special. The maturity factor is the biggest thing." -- Phillies Farm Director Steve Noworyta

He said it: "It was a big day. It was the biggest emotion in my life. I tried to enjoy the whole thing today." -- Carrasco on starting the Futures Game at Yankee Stadium.

Good info.

Guess I couldn't have been more wrong about this kid.

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Can we just go back in time and draft Wieters instead?

I don't like reading or thinking about things like "potential gap power." ****. We're now hopeful for middling power. ****, ****, ****.

Basically he would hit for avg and be an on base guy, doesn't seem to have much power right now, hell he has 1 HR in AAA this year....:doh!: I guess all you can ask is to get your catcher on base, but damn i wish we had wieters

DeezNutz
06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Basically he would hit for avg and be an on base guy, doesn't seem to have much power right now, hell he has 1 HR in AAA this year....:doh!: I guess all you can ask is to get your catcher on base, but damn i wish we had wieters

Catchers are hard to find, which makes it even more sensible that we weren't even rumored to be linked to Posey and/or Wieters in the last few draft classes.

petegz28
06-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Meche will pitch Wednesday..

“Gil is good to go,” manager Trey Hillman confirmed. “He’s going to pitch Wednesday.”

Sure-Oz
06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Royals absolutely shredded in this article by a minnesota paper douche bag....this better show up in the royals clubhouse tomorrow, heard this on the post game...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/49470222.html?page=1&c=y

Twins have yet to provide us reason to believe
by Jim Souhan

The talent on this team was unable to counter the efforts of a Kansas City Royals team that has allegedly gotten better.
I predicted this at the beginning of the season. I wouldn't call that disappointing. They are what they are. Every starting pitcher they have is inconsistent and incapable of being the ace. But at the same time, they're not that bad, either. That's how you become a .500 team. And that's what they are.

Congratulations to the Minnesota Twins. Monday night, they lost to an older version of the Lansing Lugnuts.

Congratulations to Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. Monday night, he watched his boys throw away a game with lousy fielding, lousy at-bats, lousy thinking and lousy pitching. Then he won the D.B. Cooper Award for ingenious escapes by getting thrown out in the sixth.

The Kansas City Royals, in the 16th year of their three-year rebuilding program, have won more than 77 games once since 1993. They are getting "better'' the same way noise pollution gets "better.'' You just get used to it.

A local fast-food chain gives away soft drinks when the Royals steal a base. If the Royals gave away shots of bourbon after winning seasons, they'd be a baseball version of AA.

Through 29 games, the 2009 Royals were 18-11. Entering Monday's game with the Twins at Kauffman Stadium, they had lost 31 of 45 games despite the presence of Zack (10-3) Greinke.

The Royals have no starters batting .300. They rank next-to-last in the American League in average, runs, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. Their team ERA ranks 10th in the American League, and their bullpen ranks 12th.

Willie Bloomquist appears to be one of their better players. I'm not sure whether I just insulted Bloomquist, or the Royals.

So the Twins' 4-2 failure Monday might represents their worst loss of the season. Or century.

They sent their de facto ace, Nick Blackburn, to the mound. He was 6-3 with a rotation-best 3.11 ERA. The Royals "countered'' with Luke Hochevar and his 5.87 ERA.

The Twins had two of the best players in baseball, Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau, in the middle of the lineup. The Royals "countered'' with Billy Butler and Mike Jacobs. Or is it Billy Jacobs and Mike Butler?

Somehow, the Royals won, anyway, as the Twins committed these baseball sins:

• Left fielder Delmon Young cut in front of center fielder Denard Span to catch a fly, then threw home off-balance, which would have cost the Twins a run had the Royals been smart enough to try to score from third on the play.

• Span twice caught fly balls and hesitated throwing the ball in as runners advanced.

• Shortstop Brendan Harris booted a grounder and tried a drag bunt with one on and no out in the first. "That is not his forte,'' Gardenhire said. "That set a bad tone. That was ugly. I didn't like that.''

• Right fielder Michael Cuddyer tried an ill-advised throw to second that, because he hurried, wound up in left field.

• The lineup squandered four walks and an error in the first three innings, and a leadoff double in the fourth, making Hochevar look like Greg Maddux, not a kid hoping the lineup would give him some help.

• Blackburn allowed consecutive homers to Alberto Callaspo and Miguel Olivo to start the sixth.

Had the Twins won, they would have moved two games over .500 for the first time this season, would have ensured a winning road trip, would have positioned themselves to win a fourth consecutive road series.

Instead, this road trip is starting to feel like one of those golf holes where you crush your driver, hit a wedge to 3 feet and miss the birdie. Suddenly par feels like a root canal.

The Twins should have swept Milwaukee, and would have if not for that strange sequence of events Wednesday -- Blackburn allowing a drive off the top of the wall to the powerless Jason Kendall, and then throwing the ball into left field to score the winning run.

The Twins could have swept St. Louis, but Kevin Slowey, Mr. Control & Command, threw two cookies to Albert Pujols.

Despite their serious star power, the Twins have failed to put together one streak that would give anyone reason to believe in them, and the midpoint of the season is near.

Maybe this is what the Twins are this year -- a disappointing, opportunity-squandering, .500 team.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on AM-1500 KSTP. jsouhan@startribune.com

tk13
06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
They don't have a starter as good as Greinke. Liriano could be but he hasn't been even close yet. I don't know what part of his game is inconsistent, that's the main part of the article that's laughable.

Reaper16
06-30-2009, 12:28 AM
They don't have a starter as good as Greinke. Liriano could be but he hasn't been even close yet. I don't know what part of his game is inconsistent, that's the main part of the article that's laughable.
The author was saying that Twins pitching is inconsistent. He never wrote a negative word about Zack.

One thing from the article to nit-pick: Sonic is not simply a local fast-food chain.

Everything else is pretty much on-point, if you want to be realistic about it. Sucks, but its true.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 05:45 AM
The author was saying that Twins pitching is inconsistent. He never wrote a negative word about Zack.

One thing from the article to nit-pick: Sonic is not simply a local fast-food chain.

Everything else is pretty much on-point, if you want to be realistic about it. Sucks, but its true.

It is true, but also should be used as motivation for the team...if they even care

Demonpenz
06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
It is true, but also should be used as motivation for the team...if they even care

the only person in baseball that would use something like this for motivation would be milton bradley

Deberg_1990
06-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Royals absolutely shredded in this article by a minnesota paper douche bag....this better show up in the royals clubhouse tomorrow, heard this on the post game...

Why should we be upset by this? Everything that guy said is true.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Why should we be upset by this? Everything that guy said is true.

It is true, but still you don't want other people saying it to you...if anything it should light a fire under your ass to play better or harder. I think it's funny honestly...i don't think the players or anyone that works hard on that team would.

Deberg_1990
06-30-2009, 07:36 AM
It is true, but still you don't want other people saying it to you...if anything it should light a fire under your ass to play better or harder. I think it's funny honestly...i don't think the players or anyone that works hard on that team would.

heh. Yea, it should light a fire, but it wont.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 07:43 AM
heh. Yea, it should light a fire, but it wont.

Maybe trey will be defensive about it like they were about nick schwartz yesterday. according to rany's twitter the royals are real pissed at himROFL

tomahawk kid
06-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Maybe trey will be defensive about it like they were about nick schwartz yesterday. according to rany's twitter the royals are real pissed at himROFL

Yeah - Friar F#ck was probably so enraged, he said 3 more novenas.

ChiTown
06-30-2009, 08:00 AM

Rany has been spot on.

Fuck Trey. He's a dumbass.

CoMoChief
06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Royals suck at drafting, the biggest draft prospect we've had in years (Gordon) is a borderline BUST. They won't sign any top tier players that will produce on a daily basis. They don't really have anyone in their farm system to give up for good players that are already in the league.

The Royals franchise just sucks. And it's going to take a long time to get out of a 15-20 window of complete suckage. And if the front office isn't completely on board (the Glass family) then this team will go nowhere.

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Jayson Stark (on 810) claims that Soria would bring back a HUGE return.

If that's accurate, I'm listening. We don't know about the dude's long-term ability to stay healthy, and we desperately need talent.

ChiTown
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM

If that's accurate, I'm listening. We don't know about the dude's long-term ability to stay healthy, and we desperately need talent.

I'd like a definition of huge return.

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd like a definition of huge return.

To me--this wasn't mentioned in the interview--it's 3 of an organization's top 5 prospects, with at least one being the top guy.

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Stark: Before a team sells a ticket, avg. ML team takes in 100 million. Says it's a conservative number.

Petro: Claims that revenue sharing alone gives each team 105 million.

Figured I'd cite Stark since he's a national guy who is "in the know," and some posters doubt the validity of Petro's numbers.

Bottom line: we cannot go backward in payroll, and 70-75M is far, far too low. Not embarrassing, but not ****ing good, either. Let's not mention draft or LA; this is part of doing business and not tied to the payroll on the big league club.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM

They have to listen, it would be stupid not to hear it out...

As much as i like Soria, you listen to all offers that will improve this team 10 fold. We have really young talent, we need to increase the talent pool, weather its major league ready right away or AA guys that will be up next year.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I really hope that we dish out bannister, teahen, mahay, ddj and jacobs at minimum...

i still think guillen is the hardest to trade of the bunch with that contract. No one but Zack should be off limits. They also need to bring in whatever talent they have and peice it together. None of this "we want a 3b or catcher etc" bs cause we'll get less talent imo....

As petro says "good group of guys but they suck together!"

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
I really hope that we dish out bannister, teahen, ddj and jacobs at minimum...

i still think guillen is the hardest to trade of the bunch with that contract. No one but Zach should be off limits. They also need to bring in whatever talent they have and peice it together. None of this "we want a 3b or catcher etc" bs cause we'll get less talent imo....

As petro says "good group of guys but they suck together!"

Exactly. 100 percent.

This is the type of flawed logic that causes a team, like the fucking Royals, not to even be rumored of selecting Longoria in his draft year. Why? We already had a 3B, Gordon.

Oops.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Exactly. 100 percent.

This is the type of flawed logic that causes a team, like the ****ing Royals, not to even be rumored of selecting Longoria in his draft year. Why? We already had a 3B, Gordon.

Oops.

No shit, always take the best talent not based on need. Find room, it won't be hard....

Demonpenz
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
we need some sticks and soria's value will never be higher . Fan base won't be happy, but they aren't going to come out second half of the season anyway

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:47 AM
No shit, always take the best talent not based on need. Find room, it won't be hard....

Absolutely. With position players, bats play. That's how you get a goof like Dunn plodding around the outfield. Fuck it; he can swing it.

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Value wise, I want to move Meche first. Love him as a player, but we'll still be shitty for the next couple of years.

Don't want to ship Soria at all, but it would probably be the smart play. 'penz is right, though, a lot of fans (and posters here) will go ape shit.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Pirates look to be swapping nyer morgan for lastings milledge...they aren't sitting still, they already swapped hinske for two avg prospects, but hey their adding to the talent pool.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Value wise, I want to move Meche first. Love him as a player, but we'll still be shitty for the next couple of years.

Don't want to ship Soria at all, but it would probably be the smart play. 'penz is right, though, a lot of fans (and posters here) will go ape shit.

I think it's the best time to move meche, i see no reason that banny isn't atleast gone with the thin pitching market.

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Can we trade Moosetacos for Wieters? Please...

Demonpenz
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Overall I think Royals fans are better informed than they used to be got plenty of outlets that with a small bit of research you could find why we traded soria. I can remember a time when everyone just was satisfied if they even heard of the people playing, but i think the casual fans don't care for anything but the shit they give away, and the other ones are hard core fans

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
I can't wait to go out tonight for wet t-shirt Tuesdays on the party deck.

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 01:56 PM
per soria's twitter....

joakimsoria-i still belive in the royals ...about 1 hour ago from web

LMAO

DeezNutz
06-30-2009, 01:57 PM
per soria's twitter....

joakimsoria-i still belive in the royals ...about 1 hour ago from web

LMAO

I believe they exist, too.

What's Teahen's dog saying? "These guys are still shitty." /the dog/

Sure-Oz
06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I believe they exist, too.

What's Teahen's dog saying? "These guys are still shitty." /the dog/

ROFL

it took me a bit of time to figure out it was his dogs twitter

Sure-Oz
07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Mike Aviles opts to have Tommy John surgery

Mike Aviles has decided to undergo Tommy John surgery on his right elbow.

The typical recovery time for position players is nine months to a year. Aviles, 28, hit .325 with 10 homers and 51 RBI in 102 games last year as a rookie, but was off to a disappointing .183/.208/.250 start in 120 at-bats this season. Hopefully we'll see him back in a Kansas City uniform by May of 2010. Jul. 1 - 1:25 pm et
Source: Kansas City Star

Sure-Oz
07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Rumored squads interested in teahen are the mets, cubs, giants, red sox, and mariners currently.

Sure-Oz
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Apparently the Braves are willing to deal Yunel Escobar, wonder if we can dish off DDJ for him?!

DeezNutz
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Apparently the Braves are willing to deal Yunel Escobar, wonder if we can dish off DDJ for him?!

Moore would probably give up Greinke.

DeezNutz
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Seriously, why would the Braves trade off Escobar unless they were looking for a huge return?

Dare to dream, though. He'd be an anchor at SS for years to come. Add an impact bat in the off-season, and this roster looks A LOT different.

Fish
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Escobar would be great. I think we'd need more than DDJ to do it though...

petegz28
07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Olivo has been suspended for 1 game.......

Sure-Oz
07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Seriously, why would the Braves trade off Escobar unless they were looking for a huge return?

Dare to dream, though. He'd be an anchor at SS for years to come. Add an impact bat in the off-season, and this roster looks A LOT different.

They apparently aren't too fond of him for some reason, not sure why.

The money we used on jacobs and farnsy could've been used to get dunn, hell even the money for cocoa. why wouldn't he come here if he went to the nationals if we were an option.

ChiTown
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM

I was at the game last night. Watching the Twins lineup, it saddened me to think that our lineup looked like a mish-mash of crap as compared to what they can throw out there every night. The Twins are slumping right now (scoring runs), but gdamn, those fuckers can hit the ball. Not to mention, their pitching ain't too shabby either.

There is NO GAWDAMN reason we couldn't be as good of an organization as the Twins.....it's going to take better vision, better decision making, better personnel (players and management), getting better at ALL the little things, not fucking up the draft, and getting Free Agents that don't, you know, suck.

Here's hoping

Fish
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Olivo has been suspended for 1 game.......

Total fucking bullshit all the way around.... I'm shocked that they went ahead and suspended him when it was clear that the ump was as wrong as can be...

OmahaChief
07-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I was at the game last night. Watching the Twins lineup, it saddened me to think that our lineup looked like a mish-mash of crap as compared to what they can throw out there every night. The Twins are slumping right now (scoring runs), but gdamn, those ****ers can hit the ball. Not to mention, their pitching ain't too shabby either.

There is NO GAWDAMN reason we couldn't be as good of an organization as the Twins.....it's going to take better vision, better decision making, better personnel (players and management), getting better at ALL the little things, not ****ing up the draft, and getting Free Agents that don't, you know, suck.

Here's hoping

The difference is the twins scouts must know how to spot talent while ours have no clue. It seems the Twins also have a bunch of nice prospects that move throught their system quickly while ours labor in the minors and fizzle out.

petegz28
07-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Total ****ing bullshit all the way around.... I'm shocked that they went ahead and suspended him when it was clear that the ump was as wrong as can be...

I agree.....we have been getting fucked by the Umps as of late

DeezNutz
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I was at the game last night. Watching the Twins lineup, it saddened me to think that our lineup looked like a mish-mash of crap as compared to what they can throw out there every night. The Twins are slumping right now (scoring runs), but gdamn, those ****ers can hit the ball. Not to mention, their pitching ain't too shabby either.

There is NO GAWDAMN reason we couldn't be as good of an organization as the Twins.....it's going to take better vision, better decision making, better personnel (players and management), getting better at ALL the little things, not ****ing up the draft, and getting Free Agents that don't, you know, suck.

Here's hoping

I agree that the Twins should be the model for us and many other franchises. Lose their two best players a couple of years ago and not miss a beat. Winning franchise all the way around, anchored by M & M in the middle of the order.

My outlook for the Royals is very bleak, though. Moosetacos is meh in A ball, and Hosmer is just starting to get wet behind the ears. Meanwhile we watch Porcello work as the Tigers #3 and Wieters get the call up in the last couple of weeks...

It's just tough to have faith in this sorry piece of shit organization.

MVChiefFan
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Here's hoping

:clap: This is exactly right! With all these low salary/small market teams stepping up and winning, we have no more excuses. Every part of this organization has been horrible for years. I don't even have patience for Dayton anymore, PUT A COMPETITIVE TEAM ON THE FIELD! :cuss:

DeezNutz
07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm posting this in all threads on the front page. You're welcome:

Since no one gives a **** about today's game, figured this thread would be appropriate to list another injury waiting to happen:

Meche, after recently saying he had a "dead arm," is allowed to start an inning with 104 pitches. Trey out to talk to Gil when he's at 117, and he leaves him in the game. Finishes with 121 through 6.

Hillman is just dumb as all ****. Hey, Trey, you stupid mother****er, Meche is under contract for 11M per for 2.5 more years. Let's try to manage him a bit so that he's available to compete at a high level throughout this contract (assuming he isn't traded).

ChiTown
07-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Since no one gives a **** about today's game, figured this thread would be appropriate to list another injury waiting to happen:

Meche, after recently saying he had a "dead arm," is allowed to start an inning with 104 pitches. Trey out to talk to Gil when he's at 117, and he leaves him in the game. Finishes with 121 through 6.

Hillman is just dumb as all ****. Hey, Trey, you stupid mother****er, Meche is under contract for 11M per for 2.5 more years. Let's try to manage him a bit so that he's available to compete at a high level throughout this contract (assuming he isn't traded).

lmmfao

121 pitches. AWESOME!LMAO

What a completely dumb motherfkr. He walked 5 batters today. I think it's safe to say he probably should have been limited to 75-80 pitches. Damn

doomy3
07-01-2009, 02:28 PM

I agree. Hillman has no business whatsoever being in charge of any type of decision. NOTHING he does makes any sense.

DeezNutz
07-01-2009, 02:32 PM
At this point, I put these decisions on Dayton Moore.

Running Meche out for 121 after he claimed his arm was "dead" is a fireable offense in my eyes. Obviously Trey Edwards is this stupid.

Therefore, Moore should be in Edwards' office giving him a ceiling for the number of pitches his starters are allowed to throw. It's July 1st and we're fucking out of contention. Let's protect these guys a little bit so that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot for future seasons.

petegz28
07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
At this point, I put these decisions on Dayton Moore.

Running Meche out for 121 after he claimed his arm was "dead" is a fireable offense in my eyes. Obviously Trey Edwards is this stupid.

Therefore, Moore should be in Edwards' office giving him a ceiling for the number of pitches his starters are allowed to throw. It's July 1st and we're ****ing out of contention. Let's protect these guys a little bit so that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot for future seasons.

Moore should have told him flat out "if you run Greinke or Meche out there like that anymore, you're fired". Petro was all over that about a week or so ago. And I agre 100%. Don't be blowing out arms in a season that is already fucked off, particularly in games where we have a sizeable lead.

Sure-Oz
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
This is gettin ridiculous, i thought he wouldve been done at 104 at worst. i expected an 80-90 pitch count today

Dartgod
07-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Since there is no game thread today, I'll use this thread to voice my frustration at scoring only 1 run on 12 hits. :cuss:

ChiTown
07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Since there is no game thread today, I'll use this thread to voice my frustration at scoring only 1 run on 12 hits. :cuss:

That has to tie some sort of Franchise record..................for offensive futility

DeezNutz
07-01-2009, 03:09 PM

That's pretty impressive, actually. Difficult work to accomplish this.

And I'd also like to :clap: the 2 errors the team committed today. Keep up the solid work, boys.

Fish
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM
I have officially lost patience with Trey Hillman-Edwards. I'm no longer defending him at all.

petegz28
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM

12 hits, 1 run, 2 errors......

Sure-Oz
07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Bring on the trade deadline, our WS every year

petegz28
07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
MEche's line 6IP, 6 hits, 2ER (3 allowed) 5 BB, 1 HR, 5 K's 121 pitches....

GTFO! 121 pitches? Hillman should be fired today!

OmahaChief
07-01-2009, 03:59 PM

And I'd also like to :clap: the 2 errors the team committed today. Keep up the solid work, boys.

Damn near impossible to get 12 hits and only one run. Of course KC excels in hitting into Double plays as much as they do making errors.

Sure-Oz
07-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Can it get any better for the Royals....one of our better pitching prospects (or he was supposed to be) hauled off to jail...i knew seeing his myspace db page that he was going to be an idiot.

http://www.wreg.com/sns-ap-bbm--naturals-cortesarrested,0,6174482.story

Naturals pitcher Dan Cortes arrested, charged with disorderly conduct and public intoxication
By Associated Press
10:51 AM CDT, July 2, 2009

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Pitcher Dan Cortes of the Northwest Arkansas Naturals has been arrested.

Police took Cortes to the Washington County Jail early Wednesday morning after he was allegedly caught urinating on a fence near a bar on Dickson Street in Fayetteville. The 22-year-old Cortes is charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct. He's free on $655 bond.

Cortes is regarded as a top prospect. His record is 5-6 with a 4.00 ERA. Last season he was recognized as the Kansas City Royals' top minor league pitcher, posting a 10-4 record with the Naturals and a 3.78 ERA.

Naturals manager Brian Poldberg says any discipline will have to come through the Royals front office. The Naturals play in Springdale and are a Class AA affiliate of the Royals.

___

Information from: The Morning News, http://www.nwaonline.net/

Demonpenz
07-02-2009, 10:45 AM
it's cool to suck off the twins for being a great organization, wait until that 2 feet of snow falls in may and they have to play all their games on the road next year. Lets clamor to call them a franchise with forsight then

Deberg_1990
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM

No changes are needed!!

Sure-Oz
07-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Jeff Baker of COL got traded to the cubs today so i assume we can cross them off the list for Teahens services

petegz28
07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Jeff Baker of COL got traded to the cubs today so i assume we can cross them off the list for Teahens services

I wouldn't expect us to do much at all on the trade front.

DeezNutz
07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't expect us to do much at all on the trade front.

No changes are needed!!

(Internal scream of ****ing agony.)

Sure-Oz
07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
(Internal scream of ****ing agony.)

There better be some damn moves!

Deberg_1990
07-02-2009, 11:45 AM
There better be some damn moves!

I know no one will believe me now, but i sort of predicted this back in March. I didnt think the team made enough moves this past offseason.

Granted, there have been injuries, but we just dont have enough bats.

The Royals just sort of stood pat and prayed Gordon/Butler/Aviles/Teahen/DDJ would develop into All-Stars.

Its like this huge vicious cycle the Royals are stuck in. Not many established players want to come play for us because we suck and yet the players we try and develop never become stars.

oh, the ones we did develop we let go: Damon, Beltran, Dye ( i include him because his bat truly blossumed with us)

DeezNutz
07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Hope is on the way!

Moosetacos: .267/.306/.426 8 HR 44 RBI at A ball (advanced)
Hosmer: .247/.348/.368 3 HR 41 RBI at A ball

Reaper16
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Hope is on the way!

Moosetacos: .267/.306/.426 8 HR 44 RBI at A ball (advanced)
Hosmer: .247/.348/.368 3 HR 41 RBI at A ball
Even if they were lighting A-ball up, it'd be premature to say that their help is "on the way."

DeezNutz
07-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Even if they were lighting A-ball up, it'd be premature to say that their help is "on the way."

It's a good thing my sarcasm functions on multiple levels. Consider each of my posts an intricately constructed text that requires much unpacking.

Reaper16
07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
It's a good thing my sarcasm functions on multiple levels. Consider each of my posts an intricately constructed text that requires much unpacking.
I am unable to do that. J Diddy thinks me capable of only following other people's opinions like an automaton.

DeezNutz
07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I am unable to do that. J Diddy thinks me capable of only following other people's opinions like an automaton.

Cool.

You'll fit in fine here.

DeezNutz
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Here's the first inkling that the local media is about to call for Hillman's job, and it comes from an unlikely source, JoPo (http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/1303965.html):

One thing you can say about these Royals: They are reliable. I went out Thursday night with the tentative idea of writing about the remarkably bad base running they have exhibited this year. And it has been legendarily bad.

But here’s the thing about choosing a column topic before the game — the game has a knack of killing early ideas. I mean: If you go out to write about how well a team is pitching, the starter probably will give up nine runs. If you go out to write about how well a team is fielding, they’ll make three errors. It’s just how things work.

So, I had backup plans if the Royals ran the bases well on this night. I was open to writing something else if the Royals had given me something else. I should not have worried about it. First inning, Willie Bloomquist was on first and he took off on what looked like a hit-and-run play. Billy Butler hit a lazy fly ball to center field … Bloomquist did not see it. “Willie checked and couldn’t pick it up,” Royals manager Trey Hillman said.

White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson caught the pop-up, had plenty of time to set and throw out Bloomquist for the double play. First inning!

Second inning, Mark Teahen on first base, and he took off on what he said was a straight steal. Miguel Olivo hit a lazy fly ball to right field.

“Mark didn’t check,” Hillman said.

White Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye caught the pop-up, had plenty of time to set and throw out Teahen for the double play.

Like I say: These Royals are reliable.

•••

Here’s the thing about baseball in 2009: People count everything. Check swings? Someone’s counting those. Pitcher throws to first? Someone’s counting those too. And so, when I tell you that the Royals are by far the worst base-running team in baseball, that is not merely an off-the-cuff observation from the press box.

No, there are numbers to back this up. Bill James and his people have put together a system where they measure all sorts of base-running acts — how often a runner goes first to third or scores from second on a single, how often he scores from first on a double, how many extra bases a team picks up on wild pitches or sac flies, how many double plays they hit into, etc. — and tthey use that data to figure how many bases a team gains or loses depending on their base running.

For instance, the Colorado Rockies are the best base-running team in the game. So far this year, they have picked up 61 more bases than the average team. That’s pretty meaningful. The San Diego Padres are the second-worst base-running team in baseball. The have picked up 36 fewer bases than the average team. That’s pretty miserable.

The Royals? They are a mind-boggling minus-77 bases.

Minus-77. That’s like a whole other planet. No other team is even close to that kind of awful. The Royals are the Usain Bolt of terrible base running. How do they do it? Well, they hit into more double plays per opportunity than any team in the game by far. They have picked up fewer extra bases than any team in baseball by far.

They also don’t pick up the extra base — second baseman Alberto Callaspo, just as an example, is one for 15 going first to third on a single. One for 15. To give you a comparison, Chicago DH Jim Thome, who would plead guilty to being really slow (he has zero triples and one stolen base since 2005) is two for seven going first to third.

The Royals are terrible at a lot of things. They are a terrible defensive team — they have allowed more unearned runs than any team in baseball. They are a terrible hitting team — this is their biggest failing. They are 13th in the American League in runs scored, 13th in batting average, 13th in walks, 13th in home runs, 13th in total bases — they are a very unlucky 13 when it comes to offense. They have not scored more than four runs in a game in almost two weeks.

So, yes, you could say that, in the grand scheme of things, their inability to run the bases is one of their more minor problems. And that may be true except for this: It demonstrates just how lost this team is right now. It demonstrated the lack of direction right now. Because, hey, the Royals’ offensive problems can be explained at least somewhat: They have had some key injuries, and they undervalued on-base percentage (again), and Royals general manager Dayton Moore made some poor choices. The Royals’ defensive problems can be explained, too — the Royals are playing guys out of position and, with only a couple of exceptions, they have not brought in good defensive players.

But the base-running thing: Well, you don’t have to be an especially talented player to be a good base runner. You don’t have to be exceptionally fast to pick up extra bases. You don’t have to be a star to stay alive out there.

One day, Tony Peña stayed at third on what was clearly deep enough to be a sacrifice fly. One day, Mitch Maier hit a triple and then — maybe he hesitated, maybe he got a late sign — took off for home and was thrown out at the plate. One day, Miguel Olivo and Peña managed to pull off a magical shortstop-to-third-to-second rundown double play that would take too long to explain. And so on.

The Royals were a dreadful team from 2004 to 2007, but every single year they were a plus base-running team — plus-56 bases in 2005, plus-39 bases in 2007 and so on. Then last year — and yes, it has to be pointed out that was Trey Hillman’s first year as manager — the Royals were suddenly a minus-13 base-running team.

This year it’s been too sad to be laughable. The first eight innings on Thursday, against Royals killer Mark Buehrle, the Royals managed just four base runners. They were thoroughly overmatched. But what’s more, three of the four base runners were eliminated by double plays — two of those on routine fly balls to the outfield.

Bill James has been keeping base-running numbers since 2002 — and right now the record for worst base-running team is the 2003 Milwaukee Brewers; they were minus-91 bases. The Royals are on pace to shatter that number, maybe by the All-Star break. I’m not blaming Hillman or the coaches or any specific players for this. To be that bad at something, it takes a full team effort.

ChiTown
07-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Here's the first inkling that the local media is about to call for Hillman's job, and it comes from an unlikely source, JoPo (http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/1303965.html):

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I can't believe I was actually suckered into believing this team was going to contend for the ALC. The Royals look so completely lost right now, at just about everything they do, with the exception of their starting pitching - which has been solid.

The KCR's are our little version of the Keystone Cop's: Cute, Funny, Pathetic and (unfortunately) 100% reliable in the worst way possible.

DeezNutz
07-03-2009, 08:09 AM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I can't believe I was actually suckered into believing this team was going to contend for the ALC. The Royals look so completely lost right now, at just about everything they do, with the exception of their starting pitching - which has been solid.

The KCR's are our little version of the Keystone Cop's: Cute, Funny, Pathetic and (unfortunately) 100% reliable in the worst way possible.

Unfortunately, I find this post to be 100 percent accurate.

ChiTown
07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
After our left Coast trip when we went 0-5, in Mid May, I said we'd be 14 games under .500 by the ASB.

I still got a shot.............

Sure-Oz
07-03-2009, 01:18 PM
From Jason Stark per mlbtraderumors.com

# The Royals will listen on anyone but Zack Greinke, but that doesn't mean they're looking to deal starters. They're "reluctant" to deal Brian Bannister, Kyle Davies or Gil Meche, who has a no-trade clause.
# The Phillies were looking at Juan Cruz, who the Royals say they'd only deal for an upper-tier prospect ready to make a big-league impact.
# The Braves are trying to deal Jeff Francoeur everywhere, but no one's interested. One front-office guy says his team would be interested if Francoeur's non-tendered.
# Officials are divided on whether Yunel Escobar could be dealt, but a trade is unlikely at best.

DeezNutz
07-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Reluctant to trade Davies?

Ok, Dayton. LMAO

Sure-Oz
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Reluctant to trade Davies?

Ok, Dayton. LMAO

What's surprising is Dayton doesn't want Frenchy? I assume he is the front office guy that wants him when he's non tendered

we better make some fucking deals

petegz28
07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
What's surprising is Dayton doesn't want Frenchy? I assume he is the front office guy that wants him when he's non tendered

we better make some ****ing deals

We aren't going too....

Sure-Oz
07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
We aren't going too....

We gotta keep our stars, like davies, guillen, teahen, cruz and mahay:rolleyes:

Sure-Oz
07-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Diamond Leung is reporting that the Dodgers traded Stephen Randolph to the Royals, though it has not been officially announced yet.
Randolph became a starter for Triple-A Albuquerque and succeeded, giving up one run in the entire month of June. With the Royals, Randolph could get a chance to start at some point.
Source: Diamond Leung per rotoworld.com

OMG OUR BIGG TRADEZZZ!!! we just traded for a AAA fodder, 35 year old left hander, go daytonzzzzzzzzzz

Sure-Oz
07-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Hayman just said on MLB network that we are shopping Banny

He also said teams are calling on

Meche
Soria
Cruz

Said we won't trade Soria

petegz28
07-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Diamond Leung is reporting that the Dodgers traded Stephen Randolph to the Royals, though it has not been officially announced yet.
Randolph became a starter for Triple-A Albuquerque and succeeded, giving up one run in the entire month of June. With the Royals, Randolph could get a chance to start at some point.
Source: Diamond Leung per rotoworld.com

OMG OUR BIGG TRADEZZZ!!! we just traded for a AAA fodder, 35 year old left hander, go daytonzzzzzzzzzz

I told you our trading would not be anything to write home about. Probably gave up Guillen or Teahen for this bullshit too

petegz28
07-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Hayman just said on MLB network that we are shopping Banny

He also said teams are calling on

Meche
Soria
Cruz

Said we won't trade Soria

I wouldn't trade Soria for anything less than an immediate starting player who can mash.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
a snippet from a documentary that has our own 16 year old nicaraugan(sp?) prospect
Cheslor Cuthbert

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUcnEXBxkek&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUcnEXBxkek&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Sure-Oz
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I told you our trading would not be anything to write home about. Probably gave up Guillen or Teahen for this bullshit too

LOL, i'd be thrilled if it was guillen

petegz28
07-03-2009, 05:34 PM
LOL, i'd be thrilled if it was guillen

I wouldn't. Can we trade Hillman?

DeezNutz
07-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't. Can we trade Hillman?

You should be. He's a below replacement-level player with a big contract. It's joke really.

And I'd trade Soria for a legit return. 2-3 top prospects.

Having a great closer doesn't mean shit on a club with a .300 winning percentage (since the 18-11 fluke).

petegz28
07-03-2009, 05:45 PM
You should be. He's a below replacement-level player with a big contract. It's joke really.

And I'd trade Soria for a legit return. 2-3 top prospects.

Having a great closer doesn't mean shit on a club with a .300 winning percentage (since the 18-11 fluke).

They better be really fucking legit.

DeezNutz
07-03-2009, 05:49 PM
They better be really ****ing legit.

I hear you, but we're only getting big upside guys through trades or the draft. Have to try at least...

tk13
07-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Trading Soria is crazy. You would have to land a Wieters-like prospect, if not two of them. And very few GM's would do that. Soria is locked up for a long time to a very reasonable contract. It'd be like trading someone their Mariano Rivera for the next decade... it'd be 200 times more gutwrenching than the Beltran trade. You literally might as well fold the franchise.

DeezNutz
07-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Trading Soria is crazy. You would have to land a Wieters-like prospect, if not two of them. And very few GM's would do that. Soria is locked up for a long time to a very reasonable contract. It'd be like trading someone their Mariano Rivera for the next decade... it'd be 200 times more gutwrenching than the Beltran trade. You literally might as well fold the franchise.

It's not crazy at all. Yes, the return would have to be rich, but this wouldn't even sniff the travesty of trading a superstar position player in his prime for sub-par value.

This team has too many holes to count and few legit pieces to move: Greinke, Meche, Soria, Moosetacos, Hosmer, maybe a Melville...

Pick your poison. I'm willing to move anyone but Zack for the right price. The right price is steep for a couple of these names, obviously.

DeezNutz
07-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I knew that Trey Edwards was touchy, but not to this extent:

"Team broadcasters are sometimes told to tone down their criticism. Manager Trey Hillman occasionally snaps at even routine questions, and has admitted to getting into exchanges with fans during games about the availability of relief pitchers."

http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/381

CaliforniaChief
07-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I was reading on mlbtraderumors.com that the Braves are interested in Guillen. The speculation on the site was that the Royals might want Yunel Escobar in return. I'd do this deal in a New York second. A shortstop with some pop is a good thing, and outfielders can be found anywhere in FA.

doomy3
07-05-2009, 11:06 PM
I was reading on mlbtraderumors.com that the Braves are interested in Guillen. The speculation on the site was that the Royals might want Yunel Escobar in return. I'd do this deal in a New York second. A shortstop with some pop is a good thing, and outfielders can be found anywhere in FA.

Uhhh, yeah. If this is seriously an option, we really need to get this done.

CaliforniaChief
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Of course it's all speculation right now. It just saddens me that we're sellers again. Not with Guillen, but guys like Meche, Banny, etc.

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 06:05 AM

I can't believe this is true.

He can't play defense, and he's hitting a whopping .244/.322/.380, OPS of +87. He's below replacement value, plus he makes $12M per. Oh, and he acts like a petulant little bitch from time to time.

No way someone touches this guy AND gives us something in return. If we ate the remaining part of this year's salary, we might be able to give him away, though, which would still be a major coup in my eyes.

petegz28
07-06-2009, 06:20 AM
I knew that Trey Edwards was touchy, but not to this extent:

"Team broadcasters are sometimes told to tone down their criticism. Manager Trey Hillman occasionally snaps at even routine questions, and has admitted to getting into exchanges with fans during games about the availability of relief pitchers."

http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/381

Wow....real ML Manager material there.....

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 08:32 AM

I'd say that is a pipe dream, it's pure speculation that they want guillen. I would give guillen away for a bag of stale chips right now. It will take more to get an escobar, if this deal was really out there it would've been done yesterday. Guillen obviously hasn't done shit since being off the roids also and his body is slower and weaker now. He is collecting a nice check, that said he did hustle the other day which i liked to see, thats all we can ask from him at this point. I hope we make some moves, this team has alot of holes still, we need more talent.

petegz28
07-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd say that is a pipe dream, it's pure speculation that they want guillen. I would give guillen away for a bag of stale chips right now. It will take more to get an escobar, if this deal was really out there it would've been done yesterday. Guillen obviously hasn't done shit since being off the roids also and his body is slower and weaker now. He is collecting a nice check, that said he did hustle the other day which i liked to see, thats all we can ask from him at this point. I hope we make some moves, this team has alot of holes still, we need more talent.

You might see just that. With Gordon coming back they are going to have to make room for Teahen so trading Guillen for some pringles and bean dip might not be far-fetched.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 08:56 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4305723&name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4305723%26name%3dolne y_buster

per buster onley

The Braves and the Royals match like puzzle pieces in a possible Escobar deal. The Royals want and need a shortstop. The Braves could use someone like Mark Teahen, who could give Atlanta great flexibility. Teahen, a solid veteran hitter, could play third in place of Jones, or start in left field or right field, or first base, or even second base. If the Braves required the Royals to take on some money, then Francoeur could be added to the trade; Dayton Moore, the Kansas City GM, has known Francoeur for years and coveted him, and he could use the last months of this season to evaluate him. The Braves could use another middle reliever; the Royals have Juan Cruz and Ron Mahay, pieces that Atlanta knows well. Moore knows the Braves' farm system. A lot of elements in place here.

CaliforniaChief
07-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I really want Escobar. He plays well at a value position of great need for us. I'd give up Teahen to get him, especially with Gordon coming back soon. Then of course, Teahen will hit 30 home runs and drive in 100 runs. But I want Escobar.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I really want Escobar. He plays well at a value position of great need for us. I'd give up Teahen to get him, especially with Gordon coming back soon. Then of course, Teahen will hit 30 home runs and drive in 100 runs. But I want Escobar.

I think it will take more than just teahen. He is a decent hitter but he isn't a world burner. I dont see much more upside with teahen, maybe 22 hrs and a 90 rbi season at best

i expect a .280 hitter and a 15-20 hr guy with 75-90 rbi peak potential, not worth it imo esp in the OF when you get that probably at SS

ChiTown
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I think it will take more than just teahen. He is a decent hitter but he isn't a world burner. I dont see much more upside with teahen, maybe 22 hrs and a 90 rbi season at best

i expect a .280 hitter and a 15-20 hr guy with 75-90 rbi peak potential, not worth it imo esp in the OF when you get that probably at SS

Yep.

If this deal goes down, I'd expect to additionally lose a reliever on our staff and a Minor League Prospect.

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
It sounds stupid, but I'd try to get this deal done without moving Teahen. I hope the Braves aren't set on needing someone to fill in at 3B.

I'd much rather move DDJ, middle reliever (Cruz for example), and a prospect. Teahen, IMO, is a very valuable piece for club in contention, like we want the Royals to be. Of course, we're going to have to give up value to get value, so...

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 11:00 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if bianchi is involved in a deal to get escobar

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 11:03 AM
If the deal is pulled off, I want Francoeur, too. I'd love to take a chance on that kid's upside and try to fuck the Braves with Dye II.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 11:07 AM
If the deal is pulled off, I want Francoeur, too. I'd love to take a chance on that kid's upside and try to **** the Braves with Dye II.

I wouldn't mind it, but isnt' he due arbitration after this season? He def. would have to show us something. He has the tools, i'd hope he'd be a throw in.

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't mind it, but isnt' he due arbitration after this season? He def. would have to show us something. He has the tools, i'd hope he'd be a throw in.

True. We're saving up money to make a run at Andrew Jones.

OmahaChief
07-06-2009, 11:16 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if bianchi is involved in a deal to get escobar

A guy over at Royals Corner mentioned this earlier. He seems pretty plugged in.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM

I'd think they'd want a SS back, but who knows...get the deal done, we need a SS here for the next 5-10 years

Plus, it would have to spell the end of the TPJ era

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM

I'd do the deal, but isn't this kid also a 2B?

Seems kinda like robbing Peter to pay Paul. That said, I'm taking the proven commodity every single day. All I'm saying is that we need an upgrade at 2B, too (just like about every other single fucking position on the diamond).

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
True. We're saving up money to make a run at Andrew Jones.

He'll be due huge money esp playing DH part time, we need as much money as we can get

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd do the deal, but isn't this kid also a 2B?

Seems kinda like robbing Peter to pay Paul. That said, I'm taking the proven commodity every single day. All I'm saying is that we need an upgrade at 2B, too (just like about every other single ****ing position on the diamond).

I believe he could play 2b....i would do my best to keep him in the system, he seems like a gamer when healthy. That said, if it comes down to it, trade him

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I believe he could play 2b....i would do my best to keep him in the system, he seems like a gamer when healthy. That said, if it comes down to it, trade him

Yep. Agreed.

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Petro claims that Beltran was going to be signed by the Royals to a three-year extension for $27M, but at the last second ownership tried to get him to sign for $26M instead. It was at this point that Beltran broke off negotiations, and the team was forced to trade him.

If true...mother****er...

Petro going on a rant about the NL outfield of Beltran and Ibanez. Nice.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 11:45 AM
We could've had Ibanez for peanuts as well, he also talked about all the missed prospects like we could've drafted, haren, billingsley, broxton etc...relating to all stars...

point is our ownership is to blame for the catchup we have to do...

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 11:46 AM
We could've had Ibanez for peanuts as well, he also talked about all the missed prospects like we could've drafted, haren, billingsley, broxton etc...relating to all stars...

point is our ownership is to blame for the catchup we have to do...

Not even an arguable point, and why I continue to despise the Glass family.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Not even an arguable point, and why I continue to despise the Glass family.

it just sucks honestly

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
810 reports Royals INF/OF Ryan Freel and cash from the Cubs for a PTBNL

Setting up for a Teahen deal later?

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Royals have acquired Ryan Freel from the Cubs for a PTBNL. Chi, ironically, had acquired Freel by trading Gathright to Baltimore.

We're playing 6 degrees of Joey Gathright.

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Freel with a career OPS of 89.

Offense on the way!

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
In essence we got willie bloomquist's clone

ChiTown
07-06-2009, 12:42 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/414/Ryan_Freel

doomy3
07-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Sitting here watching the Yankees/Blue Jays game. I know Alex Rios has been rumored to be on the block. Anyone know what they are asking for him?

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 12:45 PM
In essence we got willie bloomquist's clone

Exactly what I was thinking.

"Willie has been my best acquisition, so...maybe I can do it again!" /Dayton I'm the most overhyped GM in baseball Moore/

petegz28
07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Freel with a career OPS of 89.

Offense on the way!

Wow..a team of Pena Jr's we will be.....

89? As in .089? Seriously?

doomy3
07-06-2009, 12:52 PM

No, of course not.

He has a .726 career OPS.

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 12:53 PM

OPS+

+89.

+100 is considered average.

For shits and grins, Pena Jr. is -34. - mother****ing 34. I don't even know how this is possible. ROFL

doomy3
He has been rather brutal the last couple years though. I'm sure we gave up basically nothing for him.

petegz28
No, of course not.

He has a .726 career OPS.

It wouldn't surprise me if we traded for someone with a .089 OPS....seriously....we run Pena Jr out there all the time...

petegz28
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
He has been rather brutal the last couple years though. I'm sure we gave up basically nothing for him.

Why has he only played 23 games this year?

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I have no idea why we would even waste time acquiring Freel. We have 5 of him currently on the roster. Seriously.

ChiTown
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
He has been rather brutal the last couple years though. I'm hopeful that we didn't trade Soria for him.

fyp

petegz28
07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
The Royals acquired infielder Ryan Freel from the Cubs on Monday in exchange for a player to be named later. Freel, who Chicago acquired from Baltimore on May 8, hit .143 with an RBI and a run scored in 28 at-bats for the Cubs before being designated for assignment July 2. The versatile 33-year-old will provide additional depth for Kansas City at second base, third base and center field and could find fantasy relevance for his stolen base prowess if given regular playing time.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/index.jsp?action=locate&pid=150472

doomy3
07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
fyp

uhhh, ok.

58kcfan89

Hopefully setting up to DFA TPJ and then deal Teahen after Gordo comes back...

doomy3
Why has he only played 23 games this year?

Back problems IIRC.

petegz28
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, we don't need depth at 3rd base so I wonder if he will be in CF and Maier sat down? Or is Guillen maybe gone and this cat goes to RF? Or Teahn goes to RF and he fills in at 3rd until Gordon comes back?

ChiTown
07-06-2009, 01:05 PM
uhhh, ok.

You're welcome

SPATCH
07-06-2009, 01:23 PM
i'm starting to get sick and fucking tired of "gritty" ball players...

i want some badasses.. some guys who will drop their nut-sacks all over the place and fuck shit up every damn night

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 01:25 PM
i'm starting to get sick and ****ing tired of "gritty" ball players...

i want some badasses.. some guys who will drop their nut-sacks all over the place and **** shit up every damn night

We have a whole roster of these guys. Most of our players would fuck up a wet dream. Be happy!

tomahawk kid
07-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Great.

Another utility player that can't hit.

It's sad in that whole club house, there might be 1-2 actual pairs of testicles. I doubt very much that Mr Freel will be adding to that total.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
The Royals acquired infielder Ryan Freel from the Cubs on Monday in exchange for a player to be named later. Freel, who Chicago acquired from Baltimore on May 8, hit .143 with an RBI and a run scored in 28 at-bats for the Cubs before being designated for assignment July 2. The versatile 33-year-old will provide additional depth for Kansas City at second base, third base and center field and could find fantasy relevance for his stolen base prowess if given regular playing time.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/index.jsp?action=locate&pid=150472

WTF is wrong with this team

doomy3
07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Are people really getting this upset over acquiring a utility player that could put someone like Pena or Hernandez on the bench for what will probably be nothing? We traded a player to be named later. Probably someone who will never even see the big leagues.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Someone has to go down with him on the roster....probably hernandez

If we lose teahen he will be a good backup that we'll desperatly need to start lol

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
From his wiki, i wonder if him and zack will be best buds....

Freel gained some notoriety in August of 2006 when The Dayton Daily News reported that Freel talks to an imaginary voice in his head named Farney.[2] Said Freel: "He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him. That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."[3] Freel later said that Farney's name arose from a conversation with Reds trainer Mark Mann: "He actually made a comment like, 'How are the voices in your head?' We'd play around and finally this year he said, 'What's the guy's name?' I said, 'Let's call him Farney.' So now everybody's like, 'Run, Farney, run' or 'Let Farney hit today. You're not hitting very well.'"[4]

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Reading RC and one of their posters believes he is here to play CF for right now and be a bench player for depth, and honestly i'd rather have him start at CF than Maier right now. Atleast freel has a decent ops career and has speed and draws walks. Send Maier down or back to the bench where he belongs.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Are people really getting this upset over acquiring a utility player that could put someone like Pena or Hernandez on the bench for what will probably be nothing? We traded a player to be named later. Probably someone who will never even see the big leagues.

i think people are upset because this team has a nasty habit of acquiring terrible-to-mediocre players, and doesn't appear to be interested in signing or trading for people who are good at baseball.

is freel better than pena or hernandez? sure. but that's not going to have any impact on this team in the long run.

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 02:12 PM

I don't think anyone is upset. It's just laughable that we're swapping one sack of shit for another. If some overall frustration with this joke of an organization bubbles over b/c of these moves, that's not at all surprising, IMO.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't think anyone is upset. It's just laughable that we're swapping one sack of shit for another. If some overall frustration with this joke of an organization bubbles over b/c of these moves, that's not at all surprising, IMO.
In a positive light this gets maier on the bench, who has had his shot in the majors imo.

This has to be a temp move for depth only and to setup others, it just has to be...

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
In a positive light this gets maier on the bench, who has had his shot in the majors imo.

This has to be a temp move for depth only and to setup others, it just has to be...

Maier, a former 1st-round pick. Seriously, this organization is such a fucking embarrassment.

Oh well. I don't disagree with the intent of your post, though.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Maier, a former 1st-round pick. Seriously, this organization is such a ****ing embarrassment.

Oh well. I don't disagree with the intent of your post, though.

I believe that clown was drafted as a catcher right? that explains his weak bat

DeezNutz
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I believe that clown was drafted as a catcher right? that explains his weak bat

Yep. Catcher.

It's not a Royals selection unless the dude switches positions 4 times. Amazing since Greinke was drafted as a RF.

Sure-Oz
07-06-2009, 02:19 PM
In other news brayan pena and yunel escobar are best friends....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/04/22/brave.hearts0428/

ChiTown
07-06-2009, 02:27 PM

Bingo

Maier has amounted to a heaping bag of nothingness. Color me unimpressed with his legit shot to be an everyday MLB player. I think it shows me that he should be sent packing outside of the Org and make some room for someone else to have their shot. Problem is, sadly, I can't think of one OF prospect in AA or AAA that we could call up that would be better than him..........

petegz28
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Someone has to go down with him on the roster....probably hernandez

If we lose teahen he will be a good backup that we'll desperatly need to start lol

Actually there should be 2 roster moves...one because of this and Buck comes back to the roster today I believe, so one for him. TPJ and Hernandez should go. No way to I send B. Pena down right now.