PDA

View Full Version : MU ***Official 2011-2012 Mizzou football repository thread***

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

DJ's left nut
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm only here because of saul posting Pinkel's quote.

Do I have to link it again?

You have a bat-phone, do you? Do you get text messages from anonymous sources anytime someone mentions the mighty beakers?

What alerted you to said quote, champ?

I'm sure you weren't just motoring around in the thread of a team you've forgotten all about, right?

Saul Good
12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
2011 KU Football Thread #1 Poster: Saul Good with 166 posts

2012 KU Football Thread #1 Poster: Saul Good with 147 posts

You're welcome weirdo

I never pretended not to care about KU. It's a pretty big indictment on your fanbase that, in a year where you changed coaches, a rival fan with less than 1 post a day combined in the 2 threads has more posts than any Jayhawk fan.

Frazod
12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
2011 KU Football Thread #1 Poster: Saul Good with 166 posts

2012 KU Football Thread #1 Poster: Saul Good with 147 posts

You're welcome weirdo

BTW, I have ZERO posts in the new KU football thread and ZERO posts in the new KU basketball thread.

Walking the walk that you try to talk, douche. LMAO

Bowser
12-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Kansas doesn't have the conference's 2nd largest endowment because of the MU games.

I don't think anyone's worried about KU's future.

Like has been said many times before. There is a much more accomplished rival waiting to the West.

You're really looking forward to dominating the Mountain West in a few years, aren't you?

Saul Good
12-20-2011, 03:22 PM
BTW, I have ZERO posts in the new KU football thread and ZERO posts in the new KU basketball thread.

Walking the walk that you try to talk, douche. LMAO

Are you saying that Wickedson does exactly what he criticizes others for doing? Where do you get off?

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/hshaebr/Untitled-6.jpg

Titty Meat
12-20-2011, 03:22 PM
It's been awhile since KU has won a conference game.

Bambi
12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I never pretended not to care about KU. It's a pretty big indictment on your fanbase that, in a year where you changed coaches, a rival fan with less than 1 post a day combined in the 2 threads has more posts than any Jayhawk fan.

I admit it. If I lived in Missouri I might be interested in MU football as well.

Saul Good
12-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I admit it. If I lived in Missouri I might be interested in MU football as well.

I doubt it. We can't drag you into our threads no matter how hard we try. You Just. Don't. Care.

Bambi
12-20-2011, 04:07 PM
I doubt it. We can't drag you into our threads no matter how hard we try. You Just. Don't. Care.

huh?

I'm responding to personal attacks in each of those posts.

All beginning with you posting about KU in the MU football thread.

I'm amazed you are having such difficulty making the connection.

Saul Good
12-20-2011, 04:08 PM
huh?

I'm responding to personal attacks in each of those posts.

All beginning with you posting about KU in the MU football thread.

I'm amazed you are having such difficulty making the connection.

Personal attacks? Hardly. Off you go, now.

Bambi
12-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Personal attacks? Hardly. Off you go, now.

cool. See you over in the KU threads.

Saul Good
12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
As far as leaving the conference; think whatever you want to think. It's fine with me. The only way a true rivalry survives is when it is built on mutual respect, honor and loyalty.

So on one hand the leftover fans criticize Mizzou for taking pride in our SEC membership because conference affiliation doesn't reflect positively on Mizzou.

On the other hand, KU won't play Mizzou because conference affiliation is all, and loyalty to one's conference is the cornerstone of virtue.

No wonder KU's football team sucks. The goalposts are never in the same place twice.

Messier
12-20-2011, 05:25 PM
So on one hand the leftover fans criticize Mizzou for taking pride in our SEC membership because conference affiliation doesn't reflect positively on Mizzou.

On the other hand, KU won't play Mizzou because conference affiliation is all, and loyalty to one's conference is the cornerstone of virtue.

No wonder KU's football team sucks. The goalposts are never in the same place twice.

How ribald. Move over Oscar Wilde!

Mosbonian
12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I haven't lived in Kansas in years. I know lots of UT grads, USC grads, etc...basically many people who follow college football very closely.

They all agree that if a school is going to run away from their rival then there is no need for the rival to pursue.

I call bull....if UT grads say that then they are hypocrites. They have been running from TCU since they folded the SW Conference. Now due to pressure and aTm and MU leaving, the lack of quality schools wanting into the Big 12, and their being spurned by the PAC 12, they were left with no choice but to accepts TCU. And don't think they won't turn tail and run when an offer from the PAC 12 is resurrected.

As for USC fans....I highly doubt any of them actually care about MU-KU.

Actually most people who are talking are laughing at the stance that KU is taking. Most agree it is a natural rivalry good for both schools, and the fact that KU is acting like a scorned schoolgirl only makes people laugh behind your back.

Bambi
12-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I call bull....if UT grads say that then they are hypocrites. They have been running from TCU since they folded the SW Conference. Now due to pressure and aTm and MU leaving, the lack of quality schools wanting into the Big 12, and their being spurned by the PAC 12, they were left with no choice but to accepts TCU. And don't think they won't turn tail and run when an offer from the PAC 12 is resurrected.

As for USC fans....I highly doubt any of them actually care about MU-KU.

Actually most people who are talking are laughing at the stance that KU is taking. Most agree it is a natural rivalry good for both schools, and the fact that KU is acting like a scorned schoolgirl only makes people laugh behind your back.

Texas and Texas A&M have been playing since 1928. They won't be playing anymore.

Texas has no obligation to play Texas A&M, same reason as to why Kansas has no obligation to play MU.

It's not about which team is "better at the moment". Many could say that Texas A&M is better right now than Texas is (same as MU is better than KU).

It's over, the teams will move on. If the Big 12 had crumbled and MU HAD to find somewhere to play football then I would understand I guess. But that's not what happened. MU has made a choice. This is what happens next.

WilliamTheIrish
12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
There is a much more accomplished rival waiting to the West...

Didn't know Weis scheduled a home and home with Colorado St. 'Cause KSU doesn't give a shit about your need for a rivalry.

here's a twitter from one of Weis' hopeful commits to another:

Kashann Simmons @ksimmonsnla 6m
@gehrigd4 NP how was KU

Gehrig Dieter Gehrig Dieter @gehrigd4 5m
@ksimmonsnla facilities were crazy!! Prolly best I've seen. But idk if I could spend 4 years there

Bambi
12-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Didn't know Weis scheduled a home and home with Colorado St. 'Cause KSU doesn't give a shit about your need for a rivalry.

here's a twitter from one of Weis' hopeful commits to another:

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-good-thing-or-bad-thing.jpg

Mosbonian
12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Texas and Texas A&M have been playing since 1928. They won't be playing anymore.

Texas has no obligation to play Texas A&M, same reason as to why Kansas has no obligation to play MU.

It's not about which team is "better at the moment". Many could say that Texas A&M is better right now than Texas is (same as MU is better than KU).

It's over, the teams will move on. If the Big 12 had crumbled and MU HAD to find somewhere to play football then I would understand I guess. But that's not what happened. MU has made a choice. This is what happens next.

You missed my point...it isn't aTm I was pointing out, it was TCU.

But to address your point-

What if USC-Notre Dame, Georgia-Georgia Tech, S. Carolina-Clemson, UVA-VA Tech, FLA-FSU, etc. had been so stubborn? We'd miss some great rivaly games....sad to see that UT and KU won't continue their best rivalries.

mnchiefsguy
12-20-2011, 10:03 PM
You missed my point...it isn't aTm I was pointing out, it was TCU.

But to address your point-

What if USC-Notre Dame, Georgia-Georgia Tech, S. Carolina-Clemson, UVA-VA Tech, FLA-FSU, etc. had been so stubborn? We'd miss some great rivaly games....sad to see that UT and KU won't continue their best rivalries.

All of those rivalries show that KU's excuse for not playing Mizzou is a bunch of crap. Rivalries are built on more than a conference affiliation.

Saul Good
12-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't know how any Mizzou fan who went to the last Border War could give a shit if we keep playing. Kansas is just a shit program with zero fan support. We played our worst game of the year with the worst team we've had in nearly a decade and still scored the last 24 points to win going away.

Great Expectations
12-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Are the pics of a MU helmet w a tiger head covering the whole helmet really going to be used in games next year?

Saul Good
12-20-2011, 10:56 PM
The ones on the net are just guesses, but they are fucking badass.

KChiefs1
12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I want Kansas to lose every game in every sport, up to and including intramural handball. I have no problem admitting that. I can't stand your program, your fans or that smoking pile of hippy rubbish in Lawrence as a whole. I want nothing but horrid things to befall them all.

It's been a great year hasn't it?
KU sucks at every sport. Their athletic program is at a historic low.
The Border War is a complete whitewash! It's been clear for awhile but this year seals it.

Mizzou > ku

eazyb81
12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't know how any Mizzou fan who went to the last Border War could give a shit if we keep playing. Kansas is just a shit program with zero fan support. We played our worst game of the year with the worst team we've had in nearly a decade and still scored the last 24 points to win going away.

Yep. The whole point in going to the SEC is to improve our situation, not maintain it. KU is a shit program with a shit fanbase. The only sport they care about is men's basketball. I think it is hysterical that they are afraid to play us, but I truly don't care if we ever play them again.

I can't wait to play schools like Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, etc. It is going to push Mizzou and its fans to get better, increase funding, and raise our passion to another level.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Yep. The whole point in going to the SEC is to improve our situation, not maintain it. KU is a shit program with a shit fanbase. The only sport they care about is men's basketball. I think it is hysterical that they are afraid to play us, but I truly don't care if we ever play them again.

I can't wait to play schools like Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, etc. It is going to push Mizzou and its fans to get better, increase funding, and raise our passion to another level.

If we do play them, it needs to be week 1. I don't mind them as an opening game cupcake that effectively derails their season before it starts, but I don't want to interrupt a string of marquee matchups in order to watch a shitshow in Lawrence.

eazyb81
12-21-2011, 06:16 PM
BOEHM!!!

Mizzou_8541
12-21-2011, 06:20 PM
BOEHM!!!
Huge news. Now we need aikens or, holding my breath, DGB to pull the trigger.

mnchiefsguy
12-21-2011, 06:20 PM
BOEHM!!!

Awesome!

Mizzou_8541
12-21-2011, 06:22 PM
With an established QB like Franklin and mauk coming in, we should be an attractive option for any WR.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Fuck yeah.

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
He'll look badass in one of these guys.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/cru66/mizzou_pro-combat_helmets-black_w-front-example-1.jpg

DJ's left nut
12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
This SEC thing is a !@#$ing disaster...

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DxeN6tqGUEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KChiefs1
12-21-2011, 07:27 PM
BOEHM!!!

DGB come on down!

Pitt Gorilla
12-21-2011, 08:26 PM
If only Mizzou could land some big-time players. :)

This is kansas city, MISSOURI!

Saul Good
12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
If only Mizzou could land some big-time players. :)

This is kansas city, MISSOURI!

I'm surprised that, being a KANSAS City guy, he didn't go to KU.

baitism
12-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Future Junior Big 12 member TCU showing off its awesome football prowess by currently trailing LA Tech. Its ok though, I am sure their basketball team is a powerhouse and they add to the viewer footprint...

Captain Obvious
12-22-2011, 10:50 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1057030&l=1468b7bd59&id=107575942597567

Is the Big Texas doing this for TCU?

beer bacon
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Of all the NFL franchises, the Kansas City Chiefs have the most SEC players on their roster with 17. Kansas City IS SEC country.

Trevo_410
12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
DGB come on down!

You gotta think if Mizzou is letting all these WR recruits get out of state with ease that they also think they're still heavily in the race with DGB... right?

Chesson just committed to Michigan, Neal Oklahoma, and Sheperd Oklahoma State... on a regular year I'd be pissed we we failed to land atleast 3 out of 4 including DGB. However it seems clear that mizzou is using this as a recruiting advantage over schools like Oklahoma/Arkansas/Alabama who have already got stacked WR corps.

High risk, High reward. Mizzou is going all in. I don't blame them for it because DGB might be the best recruit to ever come out of the state of Missouri. However, say we don't end up landing him on the last signing day... we better have a back up plan.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2011, 04:41 PM
You gotta think if Mizzou is letting all these WR recruits get out of state with ease that they also think they're still heavily in the race with DGB... right?

Chesson just committed to Michigan, Neal Oklahoma, and Sheperd Oklahoma State... on a regular year I'd be pissed we we failed to land atleast 3 out of 4 including DGB. However it seems clear that mizzou is using this as a recruiting advantage over schools like Oklahoma/Arkansas/Alabama who have already got stacked WR corps.

High risk, High reward. Mizzou is going all in. I don't blame them for it because DGB might be the best recruit to ever come out of the state of Missouri. However, say we don't end up landing him on the last signing day... we better have a back up plan.

The backup plan is having enough WR depth to weather an off year at the position. Besides, getting some recruiting fingers into the SEC, home of "SEC SPEED!" before giving out a bunch of scholarships to WRs may not be a bad idea.

I don't like seeing good athletes get out of the state, but I'm not going to lose sleep over these guys. Not this season, anyway.

Saul Good
12-22-2011, 04:45 PM

I think we're still in the mix for Neal.

Mizzou_8541
12-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I think we're still in the mix for Neal.

With all the transfers out of OU, you have to think Neal is reconsidering.

beer bacon
12-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Looks like we just picked up another commitment.

KcMizzou
12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
culkin22 Sean Culkin
Proud to say I am officially apart of the #MIZZOU family!!! Go tigers!!! #MIZ

Florida kid. That's interesting.

Saul Good
12-22-2011, 08:28 PM
culkin22 Sean Culkin

GREAT pickup.

Trevo_410
12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
culkin22 Sean Culkin

Definitely a Mizzou Prototypical TE... <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gqk-Flkqcms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KChiefs1
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Is this our first kid from SEC territory?

DJ's left nut
12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
culkin22 Sean Culkin

Also one of the first people Weis contacted after taking the KU job.

I've been assured that I'm terrified of Charlie Weis. Has anyone explained exactly why just yet?

Sure-Oz
12-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Also one of the first people Weis contacted after taking the KU job.

I've been assured that I'm terrified of Charlie Weis. Has anyone explained exactly why just yet?

He's HUGE?

Saul Good
12-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Definitely a Mizzou Prototypical TE... <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gqk-Flkqcms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wrong video. That was Chase Cauffman.

Trevo_410
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Wrong video. That was Chase Cauffman.

haha, that was exactly what i was thinking the first time i saw it... besides being a little shorter, he's almost the mirror image on the field...

Saul Good
12-22-2011, 10:24 PM
haha, that was exactly what i was thinking the first time i saw it... besides being a little shorter, he's almost the mirror image on the field...

They are both 6'5 or so. Culkin is huge. He is taller than Egnew.

Saul Good
12-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I feel bad for Sean. He'll probably struggle to meet girls being athletic, 6'5, and ridiculously good looking. Chicks hate that.

Spott
12-23-2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2011/12/espn-releases-2012-sec-football-schedule-tidbits/

Yesterday it was announced that the SEC would not announce their 2012 football schedule until sometime after Christmas. Today, Chris Low of ESPN released a few tidbits about the schedule.

With the addition of Missouri and Texas A&M to the conference, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive wanted to set them both up with a premier game at home early in the season. Missouri will host Georgia and Texas A&M will host Florida, both likely on Sept. 8. Listed below are tidbits of the 2012 SEC schedule from ESPN:

•Alabama – vs. Missouri and Texas A&M (sites TBA)
•Florida – at Texas A&M (likely Sept. 8); vs. LSU
•Georgia – at Missouri (likely Sept. 8); home vs. Ole Miss; drops game at Alabama
•Ole Miss – vs. Texas A&M; vs. Vanderbilt
•South Carolina – vs. Arkansas; at LSU; at Vanderbilt Thurs., Aug. 30 (tentative)
•Tennessee – vs. Missouri in November

The full 2012 SEC football schedule is now expected to be released on Monday. It will be a patchwork schedule for one year only. Beginning with the 2013 season, the SEC will create a new schedule rotation.

Reaper16
12-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I really wish that Missouri is on the road vs Alabama, purely out of selfishness. I want to see Mizzou play in Bryant-Denny before I leave T-Town.

KChiefs1
12-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Has the SEC schedule been announced yet?

Sure-Oz
12-26-2011, 02:16 PM
http://deadspin.com/5871146/

Trophy owned

Truman broke it

Sure-Oz
12-26-2011, 02:17 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/Scott_Z57/status/151395147723194370/photo/1

what it used to look like

Bowser
12-26-2011, 02:24 PM
My money is on Wickedson either hiring a hit on the trophy or breaking it himself.

Saul Good
12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
The new version is appropriate for a bowl of this magnitude.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Apparently a replacement crystal has been sent out

Bambi
12-26-2011, 03:42 PM
My money is on Wickedson either hiring a hit on the trophy or breaking it himself.

Haha, oh Truman

Saul Good
12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Haha, oh Truman

Nobody has to worry about KU dropping a bowl game trophy.

Priest31kc
12-26-2011, 04:00 PM
LETS GO MIZZOU! Final bowl game as a Big 12 member....I have no idea what to expect honestly...Never saw UNC play this year & who knows how we'll come out and play....

Priest31kc
12-26-2011, 04:13 PM
What a great start.

kepp
12-26-2011, 04:15 PM
So its ok to put both hands on the defenders shoulders and launch yourself up for the ball?
Posted via Mobile Device

Trevo_410
12-26-2011, 04:16 PM
is it legal to propel yourself off the defenders shoulderpads now? from the regular angle... that's what it looked like. Then EJ couldn't jump up to defend it...

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 04:16 PM
So its ok to put both hands on the defenders shoulders and launch yourself up for the ball?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude...that was one of the best catches I've ever seen in CFB.

Trevo_410
12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

exactly what is thought,,, tis bullshit..

kepp
12-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Dude...that was one of the best catches I've ever seen in CFB.

It was a great catch, but it was also OPI.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Awesome play. Nice throw, TJ.

LiveSteam
12-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice lil play there

kepp
12-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Boom!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sassy Squatch
12-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Nuce throw and catch in trffic

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Offense looks tremendous.

kepp
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Franklin is on target today.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Tar baby's look lost on D

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
We look like a steamroller on O right now.

kcchiefsus
12-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Gotta love watching our team in a bowl game while that shit team to the west has to sit at home because their program is too pathetic to even make a bowl.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey Saul, did you catch the Groupon deal of the day?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-independence-bowl

You mean the deal that was offered more than a week before Missouri finished the regular season?

Dumbass.

This deal ended at:
11:59PM CST
11/21/2011

KChiefs1
12-26-2011, 04:49 PM
SEC > ACC

Frazod
12-26-2011, 04:51 PM
I was a little pissed about that opening drive, but they've settled down since.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Guess nobody bought into it then either. Looks like the attendance is worse than a KU football game in the 4th quarter with KU down by 40.

Go play with your little basketballs, douche. The men are still playing football.

KChiefs1
12-26-2011, 04:53 PM
www.ShreveportLA.gov

Rams Fan
12-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Guess nobody bought into it then either. Looks like the attendance is worse than a KU football game in the 4th quarter with KU down by 40.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/woySeSNBL3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Guess nobody bought into it then either. Looks like the attendance is worse than a KU football game in the 4th quarter with KU down by 40.What are you doing in this thread?

Rams Fan
12-26-2011, 04:58 PM
What are you doing in this thread?

I'm going to take trolling for $100, Alex.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 04:58 PM
In front of epic attendance.

How many are watching the KUnt bowl game right now?

Frazod
12-26-2011, 05:00 PM
FUMBLERAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Wilson doing work.

Rams Fan
12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
You're absolutely right. Tell you what, I'll leave and never come back into a Mizzou thread. Can you guarantee that the Mizzou fans will stay out of the Kansas threads?

We'll stay out as long as idiots don't get Illinois and Kansas confused with each other.

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2011, 05:02 PM
High snap cost us the first down.

teedubya
12-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Hey Saul, did you catch the Groupon deal of the day?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-independence-bowl

Over 26 bought!!!
Limited quantity available

teedubya
12-26-2011, 05:04 PM
In front of epic attendance.

Yeah, it's funny how they dogged KU on the poor attendence and the Groupon deal... and they had both for a precious bowl game.

MU fans are very supportive of their teams. lol :evil:

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Thought I was calling out one Mizzou fan in particular. Sorry for the confusion.I removed it; it's not my battle, even though your trail of **** is dirtying up the thread.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Thought I was calling out one Mizzou fan in particular. Sorry for the confusion.

If you want to have a douche-off with Saul, perhaps you could not do it while a bowl game's going on.

Not every MU fan is Saul.

Just like not every KU fan is Wickedson. Although you seem to be giving it your best shot. :shake:

teedubya
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
If you want to have a douche-off with Saul, perhaps you could not do it while a bowl game's going on.

Just like not every KU fan is Wickedson. Although you seem to be giving it your best shot. :shake:

Truth. Carry on, as you were. My bad.

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Just like not every KU fan is Wickedson. Although you seem to be giving it your best shot. :shake:You might want to put teedubya in there as well.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 05:08 PM
TOUCHDOWN MISSOURI :rockon:

kepp
12-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sassy Squatch
12-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Damn, the Tarheels defense is pretty bad.

Ebolapox
12-26-2011, 05:12 PM
MIZ!

Spott
12-26-2011, 05:12 PM
These other conferences are no match for the speed of the SEC. :)

Frazod
12-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Holy shit, that's the craziest INT I've ever seen! LMAO

Ebolapox
BADASS int

kepp
Holy cow!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ebolapox
12-26-2011, 05:14 PM
yeah, that didn't hit the ground.

kepp
Cant overturn based on those angles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
It might have hit the ground, but there's not enough to overturn.

loce1959
MIZ!

ZOU!

Sassy Squatch
12-26-2011, 05:15 PM
As good as Mizzou is playing tonight, the Tarheels are just giftwrapping the game for us so far.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Was Missouri scheduled to play in the Independence Bowl on 11/21 or not? If not, then shut the fuck up.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Bite the curb, Shit Heels.

Sassy Squatch
12-26-2011, 05:18 PM
God, I wish the chiefs could convert 3rd downs like that.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Goddamn, what a slaughter. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy Squatch
12-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Who in the Fuck is playing that vuvuzela?!?!?

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Crush yah enemies
See them driven before you
Hear the lamentations of theh women.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 05:22 PM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/Jasonboyd88/curbstomp.gif

chefsos
12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, UNC, you're gonna be out there in the crappy weather all night even if you lay down. You might as well play.

Titty Meat
12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow what an ass kicking

kepp
12-26-2011, 05:38 PM
I dont think i've ever seen kip edwatds turn around to find the ball.
Posted via Mobile Device

kepp
12-26-2011, 05:45 PM
The defense seemed lazy that last drive until theclast few plays.
Posted via Mobile Device

kepp
12-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Let's pick up where we left off.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 05:59 PM
WTF. You tard

Frazod
12-26-2011, 06:00 PM
:facepalm:

Dammit Franklin

kepp
Bah! His arm was hit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
Damn, great break-up by Edwards. :thumb:

kepp
12-26-2011, 06:01 PM
There's Edwards again...not turning around for the ball.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
12-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Ten bucks says Pinkel goes into a shell for the rest of the game and Mizzou only wins by 10 points.

kepp
12-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Ten bucks says Pinkel goes into a shell for the rest of the game and Mizzou only wins by 10 points.

That's what i'm expecting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
12-26-2011, 06:04 PM
nice job on your meaningless bowl!

Frazod
12-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Shit job on your meaningless existence.

kepp
12-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Likewise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
12-26-2011, 06:11 PM
O sputtering now. Need to open it up again.

stonedstooge
12-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Missouri going to try and burn 2 quarters off the clock?

Frazod
12-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Perhaps that idiot Pinkel will come out of his shell now.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Grats on the Toilet Bowl. Record attendence for the Beakers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 06:21 PM

It's amazing how unknown his uber conservative nature is even to Mizzou fans.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 06:22 PM
I love Moe.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
MOE!!!!!!!!!!!

stonedstooge
12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Nice effort from Moe

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 06:28 PM
That's more like it. :thumb:

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-26-2011, 06:30 PM
That LSU ad was pure class.

Rams Fan
12-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Tell me what bowl game KU is in? I forgot.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM

See post 1638

Al Bundy
12-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Good bowl game win for the Tigers on the way out.

Frazod
12-26-2011, 07:15 PM
I hope all the rest of them lose.

Spott
12-26-2011, 07:20 PM

Kansas bowl game tradition is watching MU and all the other teams from the Big 12 play in bowl games.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Nice to hear the announcers talk about NC's talent all game only to get rolled

tmax63
12-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Listening to the announcers you'd of thought their entire defense was gonna play on Sundays and Mizzou put up 513 yds on them, running about half throttle the 2nd half.

mnchiefsguy
12-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Great way to finish the season for Mizzou. I really wanted this one...finishing with four straight wins, having your down year be still good for eight wins, gives the team great momentum going into their first year in the SEC.

Nice to see KU fans still don't care.

stonedstooge
12-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Hope Franklin takes the offseason seriously. He could really be something

Braincase
12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Congrats on your bowl win.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Hope Franklin takes the offseason seriously. He could really be something

He could be the next tebow without the whole religious hoopla

Reaper16
12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
He could be the next tebow without the whole religious hoopla
Really? Franklin could be the next version of one of the very greatest players in the history of college football?

Sure-Oz
12-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Really? Franklin could be the next version of one of the very greatest players in the history of college football?

#'s wise, i saw something where he crushed his senior #'s this year

Winning titles and heisman uh no

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Ten bucks says Pinkel goes into a shell for the rest of the game and Mizzou only wins by 10 points.I don't think the double pass counts as "going into a shell."

I'm not sure Missouri continuing to execute their ground game counts as being "conservative" either; I mean, they ran the ball the entire game.

Reaper16
12-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't think the double pass counts as "going into a shell."

I'm not sure Missouri continuing to execute their ground game counts as being "conservative" either; I mean, they ran the ball the entire game.
Oh sure. Talk a big game after declining the bet.

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Oh sure. Talk a big game after declining the bet.I'm just glad they kept scoring.

BTW,

Mad props from all of the SEC folks on Rivals Main Board. Win 4 in a row on the way out and curb-stomp an ACC team? Perfect.

Spott
12-26-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm just glad they kept scoring.

BTW,

Mad props from all of the SEC folks on Rivals Main Board. Win 4 in a row on the way out and curb-stomp an ACC team? Perfect.

They are kind of cool that way. They root for all the other teams in the conference. The Alabama fans I know even root for Auburn when they play out of conferencd. I just wish they weren't so ambivalent about basketball.

KChiefs1
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Kansas bowl game tradition is watching MU and all the other teams from the Big 12 play in bowl games.

There are KU football fans?

Braincase
12-26-2011, 09:24 PM
There are KU football fans?

Yes. And we're hoping that our new coach get get us back to a bowl game.

Saul Good
12-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes. And we're hoping that our new coach get get us back to a bowl game.

Coach Butterburger will have the Jayhawks in a bowl soon, I'm sure.

Trevo_410
12-26-2011, 11:14 PM
sorry if repost, but here's a free little update on some mizzou recruiting news...

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1310796

beer bacon
12-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah, it's funny how they dogged KU on the poor attendence and the Groupon deal... and they had both for a precious bowl game.

MU fans are very supportive of their teams. lol :evil:

There were about 20k Mizzou fans at the game today. ESPN shows the NC side with only 5k fans, and that is supposed to make Mizzou look bad. Mizzou on its worst days has a much higher home attendance than KU's stadium capacity.

|Zach|
12-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Another 8 win season that is seen as a down year for Missouri.

Good games guys. Can't wait to see Franklin next year.

Saulbadguy
12-27-2011, 08:54 AM
I watched the first half of the game, that interception was one of the most LOL plays i've seen this year.

Demonpenz
12-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Franklin will be described as a cool customer about 500 million times in the upcoming year. He is a good one.

Frazod
12-27-2011, 10:19 AM
I watched the first half of the game, that interception was one of the most LOL plays i've seen this year.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a ball roll over somebody's back like that.

Demonpenz
12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Makes the "Fly to the ball no matter what" drill during practice uber important. get to the ball, good things happen.

Spott
12-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Pinkel is going to have to add some traditional I formation sets next year to have any kind of success against the SEC. Running every play out of the shotgun will not work against the teams with bigger and better defenses in the SEC.

Saul Good
12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
The replay is starting on ESPN2.

|Zach|
12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
NC had the 14th ranked rushing defense in the nation going into the game. It got raped.

Trevo_410
12-27-2011, 12:13 PM
NC had the 14th ranked rushing defense in the nation going into the game. It got raped.

didn't show up at all... quite a boring game imo

beer bacon
12-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Pretty awesome for a Mizzou fan. The offense and run defense were fantastic.

Frazod
12-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Missouri obviously had no business playing such a crappy team in a bowl game - however, in the past couple of years (fuck you Gabbert) similar inferior teams kicked our asses, so I'll take it.

Reaper16
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Bowl games are about effort and desire. Last year, Missouri very obviously didn't want to play in that bowl against Iowa. The year previous the coaching staff didn't seem to give a shit about preparing against the triple option.

This year? Missouri wanted to play that game. North Carolina did too at first (at least offensively), but quickly got the desire stomped out of them by a motivated Mizzou squad.

redfan
12-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Gotta love a guy named Lawrence killing UNC for Mizzou.

Saul Good
12-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Reading that Franklin had cracked ribs and an injured hand during the KU game.

|Zach|
12-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Reading that Franklin had cracked ribs and an injured hand during the KU game.

Wow, where from?

Saul Good
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Gabe DeArmond

Bewbies
12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
2012 SEC schedule released today:

MISSOURI (New Team) Sept. 8: GEORGIA Sept. 22: at South Carolina Oct. 6: VANDERBILT Oct. 13: ALABAMA Oct. 27: KENTUCKY Nov. 3: at Florida Nov. 10: at Tennessee Nov. 24: at Texas A&M

TEXAS A&M (New Team) Sept. 8: FLORIDA Sept. 29: vs. Arkansas Oct. 6: at Ole Miss Oct. 20: LSU Oct. 27: at Auburn Nov. 3: at Mississippi State Nov. 10: at Alabama Nov. 24: MISSOURI

http://m.wrcbtv.com/default.aspx?pid=2705&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wrcbtv.com%2fstory%2f16404301%2f2012-sec-football-schedule-released%3fclienttype%3drssstory

patteeu
12-28-2011, 09:36 AM
2012 SEC schedule released today:

MISSOURI (New Team) Sept. 8: GEORGIA Sept. 22: at South Carolina Oct. 6: VANDERBILT Oct. 13: ALABAMA Oct. 27: KENTUCKY Nov. 3: at Florida Nov. 10: at Tennessee Nov. 24: at Texas A&M

TEXAS A&M (New Team) Sept. 8: FLORIDA Sept. 29: vs. Arkansas Oct. 6: at Ole Miss Oct. 20: LSU Oct. 27: at Auburn Nov. 3: at Mississippi State Nov. 10: at Alabama Nov. 24: MISSOURI

http://m.wrcbtv.com/default.aspx?pid=2705&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wrcbtv.com%2fstory%2f16404301%2f2012-sec-football-schedule-released%3fclienttype%3drssstory

I don't know everything there is to know about what those teams project to be next season, but at first glance that looks like a pretty favorable schedule.

kchero
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm think 5-3 or worse case 4-4 in sec play. Throw in our non con which is almost always perfect and we are at 8-4 or 9-3 before a bowl game. Not bad for the sec!

kchero
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
It will nice to actually partake in a bowl game that we were slotted for based on record.

Pitt Gorilla
12-28-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't know everything there is to know about what those teams project to be next season, but at first glance that looks like a pretty favorable schedule.It should be. I also love that Georgia and Alabama will be coming to Columbia. I imagine season tickets are going to fly off the shelves.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 10:53 AM
We play in College Station every year. Glad we own the keys to the stadium.

talastan
12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Bama and Georgia coming to Columbia is going to rock. Hope the MU fans are there in full force as their SEC rival fans will gladly be traveling up for the games. Great inaugural schedule for MU.

Spott
12-28-2011, 11:18 AM
So we have to play at A&M yet again? So far it looks like we picked a good year to have to play at Florida and Tennessee.

Here's the full schedule(almost). There are still 3 non conference games left to schedule. They were originally planning to play at Miami of Ohio out of conference but they are not showing on the new schedule.

Sept 1: TBA
Sept. 8: GEORGIA
Sept. 15: ARIZONA ST
Sept. 22: at South Carolina
Sept. 29: TBA
Oct. 6: VANDERBILT
Oct. 13: ALABAMA
Oct. 20: TBA
Oct. 27: KENTUCKY
Nov. 3: at Florida
Nov. 10: at Tennessee
Nov. 17: TBA
Nov. 24: at Texas A&M

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2011, 11:41 AM
They really need a patsy for September 1.

Spott
12-28-2011, 11:59 AM

I know of one in particular. I wonder if they are busy that week. :)

Frazod
12-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Kansas anyone? :titus:

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 12:38 PM
For all the bullshit about travel, KU will log more miles in 2012 than Mizzou.

Pants
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Yeah, thanks to one bad trip. You're the master of bending anything to fit your agenda. :LOL:

mnchiefsguy
12-28-2011, 12:49 PM

But...But....the SEC is sooooooo far away. Mizzou is destroying their athletics by travelling so far.....how can this be?

Pants
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
But...But....the SEC is sooooooo far away. Mizzou is destroying their athletics by travelling so far.....how can this be?

20 short trips + 2 really long ones. That's how this can be. Not that really hard to understand, really.

mnchiefsguy
12-28-2011, 12:51 PM
20 short trips + 2 really long ones. That's how this can be. Not that really hard to understand, really.

Hey, it was the KU folks who made it sound like Mizzou was going to Europe for everyone of its road games. Longest trip for Mizzou next year is to Florida. Other than that, I don't think the team is travelling any further in terms of miles than it did in the Big 12.

Bambi
12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey, it was the KU folks who made it sound like Mizzou was going to Europe for everyone of its road games. Longest trip for Mizzou next year is to Florida. Other than that, I don't think the team is travelling any further in terms of miles than it did in the Big 12.

Good to know that football is the only sport the athletic program will have to worry about travel for then.

Pants
12-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Good to know that football is the only sport the athletic program will have to worry about travel for then.

Huh? He's saying the distances are the same in the SEC as they were in the B12 for them. That would apply to all sports.

Spott
12-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey, it was the KU folks who made it sound like Mizzou was going to Europe for everyone of its road games. Longest trip for Mizzou next year is to Florida.

I can't wait for that game in Gainesville which is less than an hour from my house. Already making plans for November 10th.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Distance from Columbia to City X for the football team = Distance from Columbia to City X for the field hockey team.

Shit, son. Even people in Mississippi would be stunned by your stupidity.

Bambi
12-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Distance from Columbia to City X for the football team = Distance from Columbia to City X for the field hockey team.

Shit, son. Even people in Mississippi would be stunned by your stupidity.

So all the sports are playing the same schedule this year?

Cool

tredadda
12-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Good schedule. It is solid but not too difficult. This will be a good gauge as to where this program is and how well it can hope to compete in the SEC. At least they get Alabama in Columbia. They will truly show how close Mizzou is to being a "have" in the SEC and how much work they need to do to get there.

Captain Obvious
12-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Why are you of all people suddenly worrying about all collegiate sports?

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM

Kansas travels to:

Dekalb, IL: 505 miles
Lubbock, TX: 663 miles
Norman, OK: 333 miles
Manhattan, KS: 85 miles
Waco, TX: 601 miles
Morgantown, WV: 900 miles

That's 3087 miles in 2012.

Mizzou goes to:

Knoxville, TN: 610 miles
Columbia, SC: 872 miles
Gainesville, FL: 1013 miles
College Station, TX: 767 miles

Its possible that we add an away game in the non-con, but we might not. Total travel as it stands is a 200 mile difference. Which looks like a more desireable slate of places to watch college football games to you?

Also, consider that Kansas plays their three closest (by distance) conference opponents on the road this year. Outside of WV, all of your road games will be farther away next year.

Mizzou's closest conference opponents are Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. We don't play any of them on the road this year, but we play our farthes opponent, FL, on the road.

Pants
12-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Kansas travels to:

Dekalb, IL: 505 miles
Lubbock, TX: 663 miles
Norman, OK: 333 miles
Manhattan, KS: 85 miles
Waco, TX: 601 miles
Morgantown, WV: 900 miles

That's 3087 miles in 2012.

Mizzou goes to:

Knoxville, TN: 610 miles
Columbia, SC: 872 miles
Gainesville, FL: 1013 miles
College Station, TX: 767 miles

Its possible that we add an away game in the non-con, but we might not. Total travel as it stands is a 200 mile difference. Which looks like a more desireable slate of places to watch college football games to you?

Also, consider that Kansas plays their three closest (by distance) conference opponents on the road this year. Outside of WV, all of your road games will be farther away next year.

Mizzou's closest conference opponents are Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. We don't play any of them on the road this year, but we play our farthes opponent, FL, on the road.

I thought we were talking about conference travel? Avg for KU = 516.mi/trip. Avg for MU = 815mi/trip.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I thought we were talking about conference travel? Avg for KU = 516.mi/trip. Avg for MU = 815mi/trip.

Kansas has to play an additional game in conference, so they lose a non-con home game each year and add a conference road game every other year. Average distance matters somewhat, but so does the number of trips.

Mizzou gets an extra home game. That's a very big deal in terms of how many times you get to watch your team play in person.

Without getting on a plane or making a road trip of more than 3 hours, Kansas and Mizzou fans can each see their teams play 8 times this season. If you fly, the distance doesn't really matter much.

Pants
12-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Kansas has to play an additional game in conference, so they lose a non-con home game each year and add a conference road game every other year. Average distance matters somewhat, but so does the number of trips.

Mizzou gets an extra home game. That's a very big deal in terms of how many times you get to watch your team play in person.

Without getting on a plane or making a road trip of more than 3 hours, Kansas and Mizzou fans can each see their teams play 8 times this season. If you fly, the distance doesn't really matter much.

Fair enough. You do agree though, that your travel is worse in the SEC than it was in the B12, right?

Pitt Gorilla
12-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Fair enough. You do agree though, that your travel is worse in the SEC than it was in the B12, right?Longer? Sure. Worse? Uh, not at all.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Fair enough. You do agree though, that your travel is worse in the SEC than it was in the B12, right?

Let's compare 2011 conference away games to 2012:

College Station versus College Station: N/A

Norman, OK versus Knoxville, TN: push

Waco, TX versus Columbia, SC: push

Manhattan, KS versus Gainesville, FL: Manhattan is much closer.

KU in Kansas City versus extra home game: home game is better

Its close enough to call it a toss-up. At most, the physical travel is slightly worse in the SEC. The destinations more than make up for it, though.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Anyone think Gameday will be in Columbia for the second week of the season for the Mizzou/Georgia game?

DaKCMan AP
12-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Anyone think Gameday will be in Columbia for the second week of the season for the Mizzou/Georgia game?

Possibly. They could be in College Station for Florida/TAMU. Or they could choose a weaker matchup of Miami @ KSU or WVU @ FSU.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Possibly. They could be in College Station for Florida/TAMU. Or they could choose a weaker matchup of Miami @ KSU or WVU @ Miami.

Trying to be objective, but you know how that goes.

Georgia and Mizzou will almost certainly both be ranked.

Florida will likely be ranked, but aTm won't.

I don't think Miami is playing at KSU and hosting WVU on the same day. If they do, they deserve Gameday.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 05:53 PM
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/MIZ-SEC/gameday.jpg

KChiefs1
12-28-2011, 06:04 PM

That's funny!

KChiefs1
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Free reviewing the schedule that week, I think it's either MU vs Georgia or FL vs TAMU.

KChiefs1
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/MIZ-SEC/gameday.jpg

I see myself!

DaKCMan AP
12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Trying to be objective, but you know how that goes.

Georgia and Mizzou will almost certainly both be ranked.

Florida will likely be ranked, but aTm won't.

I don't think Miami is playing at KSU and hosting WVU on the same day. If they do, they deserve Gameday.

My bad. It's WVU @ FSU.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
My bad. It's WVU @ FSU.

That could be a contender. Really hope it's Mizzou.

baitism
12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
That could be a contender. Really hope it's Mizzou.

The fact that one is a conference game and one is a non-con can only help Missouri.

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 07:01 PM
The fact that one is a conference game and one is a non-con can only help Missouri.

The only problem is that ESPN might not want to be at SEC schools every week. It sounds like I'm joking, but I'm actually completely serious.

Bewbies
12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I like that the SEC let the new guys open at home and with great matchups. Should bring uber excitement to the fans and each town.

Frazod
12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
I like that the SEC let the new guys open at home and with great matchups. Should bring uber excitement to the fans and each town.

They're like the anti-Texas. :thumb:

Saul Good
12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
So our first two home games are against the Georgia Bulldogs and Arizona State Sun Devils.

The beaks open up with the South Dakota State Jackrabbits and the Rice Owls.

No wonder they don't need to play us. Their home schedule is STACKED.

KChiefs1
12-29-2011, 03:57 AM
MU home tickets will be in huge demand!

Spott
12-29-2011, 06:59 AM
I see myself!

II see you. You're the guy in the yellow shirt.

nychief
12-30-2011, 10:56 PM
This is the lamest argument ever. Just a heads up.

Pitt Gorilla
12-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Great (but long) read by Dave Matter:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/behind-the-stripes/2011/dec/28/emptying-the-notebook-farewell-to-2011/

We’ve touched on 2012, but for now, let's look back on the final game of 2011, Missouri's 41-24 victory over North Carolina in Monday's soggy Independence Bowl.
By the way, if that score sounds familiar, it should:

Missouri beat Kansas State 41-24 in 2008 … beat Nebraska 41-24 in 2005 … beat Nebraska 41-24 in 2003 … and beat Baylor 41-24 in 2001.

What does that mean? I have no idea.

As for the game itself, tremendous effort by the Tigers considering the game's less-than-desirable circumstances, from its location, its date, the crummy weather and the sparsely populated crowd at Independence Stadium. I could sense from the first bowl practice three weeks ago that Missouri cared about winning this game. It showed in the way Gary Pinkel's staff adjusted its practice regimen — less messing around with freshmen and walk-ons, more prep work for North Carolina — and it showed in the way the Tigers attacked from the start in Shreveport.

This was the most crisp, most focused Missouri offensive effort all season. Simply put, there were no sputters, not a single three-and-out possession until the fourth quarter. The execution on third down was superb: 7 of 8 in the first half, 10 of 14 overall. And after giving up one big play to UNC's passing game, the defense was aggressive and physical until the score got out of hand. The defense preserved the win with four straight first-half possessions that ended with two UNC punts, a fumble recovery and an interception.

Before we get to some other thoughts on the game, a few awards to dish out …

BTS OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME
No-brainer here: Quarterback James Franklin shredded the Tar Heels on the ground and through the air. On his 142 rushing yards, Franklin averaged a season-best 7.9 yards per carry — against one of the country's premier rush defenses. As a passer, Franklin had his least efficient game (119.1 rating) since Missouri's loss to Oklahoma State back on Oct. 22, but his production belied his statistics. He got rid of the ball in a hurry and accurately on quick-game passes and, for the most part, made good decisions with the ball.

"He wasn’t perfect by any stretch," offensive coordinator David Yost said, "but I didn’t think there was a lull in his play at any time."

Now that his season is complete, we can make it official: Franklin was a more productive player in 2011 than Blaine Gabbert was in 2010.

Against a more grueling schedule, Franklin completed 63.39 percent of his passes, slightly better than Gabbert, who completed 63.36 last year. Gabbert averaged more passing yards per game, 232.5 to Franklin’s 220.9, but Franklin had the better efficiency numbers, 139.9 rating and 7.6 yards per attempt to Gabbert’s 127.0 rating and 6.7 yards per attempt.

Franklin threw 98 fewer passes but more touchdowns, 21, to Gabbert’s 16. Franklin threw 11 interceptions to Gabbert’s nine.

Franklin was a major factor in the running game: 981 rushing yards and 15 TDs. Gabbert ran for 232 yards and five TDs.

As far as total offense, Franklin finished with 3,853 yards – a total eclipsed only twice in school history, by Chase Daniel in 2007 and 2008. And those were 14-game seasons for Daniel. In 13 games, Franklin averaged 296.4 yards of total offense and accounted for 36 touchdowns. In 2007, Daniel averaged 307.6 yards and accounted for 37 touchdowns. In 2008, Daniel averaged 309.6 yards of offense and accounted for 40 TDs.

Runner-up: Tailback Kendial Lawrence gashed the Heels’ vaunted defense for 108 yards and 6.8 per pop. In the final four games of the season, Lawrence ran for 371 yards and averaged 5.6 yards per carry. And two of those games came against top-15 rush defenses from Texas and North Carolina.

BTS DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME
When it came time to fill out ballots for defensive MVP, I went with linebacker Zaviar Gooden, not teammate Andrew Wilson, who also played well and was the top vote-getter. I thought Gooden made the bigger impact plays, a couple key tackles behind the line of scrimmage and the interception along the sideline that looked like something out of a “Three Stooges” scene.

Runner-up: Wilson was no slouch, finishing with a team-high nine tackles, including two for losses, and the forced fumble of tailback Giovani Bernard.

BTS SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE GAME
UNC kickoff return specialist T.J. Thorpe might be seeing No. 15 in his sleep the next few weeks. Linebacker Donovan Bonner was a menace for the kickoff coverage team, finishing with five tackles.

BTS ASSISTANT COACH OF THE GAME
Their charges barely went recognized by the postseason all-conference teams, but this was the nastiest, most physical offensive line we’ve seen under Pinkel, a credit to line coaches Bruce Walker and Josh Henson. Monday might have been the line’s finest performance of the season. With All-Big 12 back Henry Josey watching from the sideline on crutches, the line dominated the point of attack and produced a 337-yard rushing day against what was the ACC’s No. 2 rush defense. Franklin and his tailbacks weren’t going anywhere against the Tar Heels unless the line showed up with something to prove against UNC’s cast of NFL prospects along the defensive front. The carnage unfolded early and often.

I wrote about this in Tuesday’s game story, but here’s my favorite stat of the game: The Tigers had 15 runs that went for 10 yards or more. Coming into the game, North Carolina had only given up 33 runs of 10 yards all season, third-fewest in the country behind only Alabama and Florida State. Missouri’s backs had no trouble reaching the second level Monday because the offensive line simply erased the first level.

As outstanding as Josey was for the Tigers this year, Missouri was 4-0 after he got hurt. The one constant was a punishing offensive line that consistently produced a potent running game, no matter which back was getting the carries.

“Well, before there was Henry there was Beatle, and he was breaking off 60-yard runs here and there in camp,” said receiver Wes Kemp, referring to Lawrence by his nickname. “Until” Lawrence “got hurt, you didn’t know how good Henry was. It really boils down to how good our offensive line is doing.”

A few more thoughts on the game …

● Some teammates call Franklin Baby Tebow. The comparisons aren’t off the mark. At Florida, Tebow operated an option-oriented spread offense and ran the ball much like Franklin — like a fullback with a knack for finding open seams in the defense.

In 2009, his senior season, Tebow completed about 68 percent of his passes for 207 yards a game, threw 21 TDs to five interceptions and ran for 910 yards and 14 scores. Albeit in a better defensive conference, those numbers aren’t far off from Franklin’s this past season.

Pinkel and Yost gushed over Franklin after Monday’s game. Pinkel said he gave his quarterback a hug in the locker room, walked away, stopped in his tracks and asked Franklin a question: “What happens when you get really good?” Pinkel said. “He kind of gave me a look. It’s exciting to have a young quarterback who works as hard as he does and has the ability. The neat thing about him is he’ll continue to work hard to make himself better.”

Franklin was already better than Yost expected before the season, especially his downfield accuracy and running ability. Yost said he always figured Franklin could be a threat in the running game but wasn’t sure he’d become a weapon. He underestimated his QB. “I never thought he’d end up almost a 1,000-yard rusher,” Yost said.

Franklin would have easily eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark if he would have tried running in the Western Illinois game – he carried six times, mostly scrambles, for just 1 yard.

● Back to the line for a moment. On Tuesday night, Joe Walljasper and I stopped in Lebanon for dinner. I half expected to see a sign that read: “Lebanon, home of the guy who didn’t get James Franklin killed.”

That might have been the fear heading into the I-Bowl as Lebanon’s Justin Britt figured to be the last line of defense between Franklin and UNC’s 290-pound defensive end Quinton Coples. Coples flipped between left and right end, but Britt did an admirable job neutralizing the future NFL first-round pick. Coples finished with four tackles but was rarely a threat in the backfield when matched against MU’s sophomore left tackle.

Missouri might have been tempted to give Britt help on the edge against Coples, but Franklin’s quick feet and snappy decisions helped Britt as much as Britt’s blocking helped Franklin.

“I heard people say, ‘Are you planning to chip on 90? Are you going to slide the line to him?’ ” offensive coordinator David Yost said. “No, we’re going to do what we do. Justin Britt’s going to have to block him. We also said we’re going to get rid of the football fast. That’s James’ job to help the line. We talked about that a lot.”

Until Elvis Fisher's status for 2012 becomes clear, Britt figures to be the left tackle again next season. He can probably afford to add some bulk and weight, but considering he was never expected to be protecting Franklin's blindside this early in his career, Britt wrapped up a promising season with a memorable outing Monday.

● He will not be remembered for being one of the prolific receivers in school history, but Wes Kemp was a valuable teammate and leader in a four-year career that produced 92 catches for 1,222 and 11 touchdowns. He started every game the last three seasons and took as much pride in springing a teammate with a block as he did catching a touchdown. Selfless team player, thoughtful, conscientious, a pleasure to watch and interview the last few years. (Must have been that Jesuit high school education!)

During last year’s preseason camp, Kemp was struggling to catch the ball. He was splitting his first-team reps more than usual. He eventually snapped out of his funk, and a few months later I talked to his dad about a father-son conversation they had. Their exchange tells you a lot about both.

“Sometimes in life things don’t always go in straight lines,” Randy Kemp told me. “Sometimes they go in angles or they curve. Or you might have to take a couple steps backwards. That’s just part of life and growing. You can sit there and feel sorry and complain or you can figure out a plan. What am I going to do? … I told him, ‘I know you want to get the ball, as all receivers do. But you’re a hell of a blocker. Make your living by being the best blocker in the Big 12. Take pride in that and just be ready.’ ”

Kemp was fourth on the team in receiving yards this season, but he shared the team lead with T.J. Moe for third-down receptions with 10. And I could be wrong here, but I don’t recall him dropping a single pass.

● He takes his share of criticism from the Monday morning quarterback crew, but this was easily Yost’s best season as Missouri’s offensive coordinator. Consider what Yost was dealt since the end of last year’s Insight Bowl, which essentially began the 2011 season: He lost his quarterback a year early to the NFL draft. His first-year starting quarterback struggled with confidence and accuracy throughout spring camp and essentially won the job by default when the top backup quit the team. The team’s best and most experienced offensive lineman, the guy assigned to protect the rookie QB’s backside, suffered a season-ending knee injury midway through preseason camp. The team’s projected starting center suffered a pair of lower leg injuries that put him in and out of the lineup all season. Injuries struck the tailback crew on a weekly basis, including a season-ender to one of the country’s best offensive players in the final month of the regular season.

Through all that, consider what Missouri’s offense achieved this season: Coming out of the Independence Bowl, Missouri has the nation’s No. 12 offense (475.5 yards per game), ranking higher than Wisconsin, USC, Alabama, Clemson, TCU and Michigan, among many more. Of the 10 teams playing in BCS bowls, Missouri’s offense moved the ball more than all but three: Oklahoma State, Oregon and Stanford. The Tigers revived their offense by turning to the run, a sharp philosophical turn by the pass-lovin’ coordinator. The Tigers led the Big 12 in rushing, a development that did not come by accident. Long before Josey shot out of the backfield, Yost and the offensive staff made some subtle adjustments to help spark the running game: The guards crouched down into a three-point stance to lower their pad level and get a better push. Yost added some short-yardage formations that used a fullback in the backfield. The offense leaned on more of a vertical, downfield rushing attack, sprinkling in some pistol formations. Yost broke out some power runs for Franklin, blasting him between the tackles with his guards and center clearing the path. All the while, Yost brought along a raw passer in Franklin who became a far more polished and efficient downfield passer than anyone expected.

By season’s end, the 2011 Tigers became the first team in Missouri history to run for 3,000 yards (3,165) and pass for 3,000 yards (3,017). Yost wasn’t aware of that stat until I pointed it out after Monday’s game. He was pleasantly surprised.

“It’s what we evolved into,” he said. “To start off the year, you kind of have an idea what your kids are good at. James probably exceeded a lot of areas in what I thought he was going to be strong at. There’s probably some things we can get better at that I thought we’d be better at this year. But, really, the run game from our tailbacks is where it really exploded. You kind of saw with Kendial what we thought he was going to be in camp. Then Henry took off. And James was really explosive, too.”

A couple weeks ago, Florida Coach Will Muschamp lauded Missouri’s offense for its complexity. “You’re up a lot of hours that week getting ready for those guys,” he said. Yost showed why Monday with a constant mix of different formations, backs and receivers zipping around in pre-snap motion and lineman pulling all over the place. With Yost Ball, the lateral action at the line of scrimmage before and after the ball is snapped can become dizzying for a defense. And it’s really become an effective blocking scheme for the run and pass.

The halfback pass from Moe to Kemp was a new look as Moe fluttered out of the backfield behind Franklin, who faked a handoff to Lawrence and threw a lateral to Moe deep in the flat. With left guard Jayson Palmgren pulling to pick up the front-side defensive end and Moe pulling the corner up to make the tackle, Kemp floated free into the secondary for a wide-open touchdown pass.

Later, on a designed run for Franklin up the gut, Egnew came in motion and teamed with right guard Austin Wuebbels, who came barreling behind him to seal off the backside, along with left guard Jack Meiners and Britt. A highway cleared between the tackles and Franklin ripped off a 23-yard run on third-and-10. You don’t see many teams running a QB draw on third-and-10, but with the way Missouri has blocked the point of attack this year, even against a stout front like UNC’s, those kind of runs became effective, especially when the defense leaves only six defenders in the box while trying to defend Missouri’s spread formations.

● Here’s to a healthy 2012 for defensive end Brad Madison. He played the entire season with a bum inside shoulder and wasn’t nearly explosive as a pass rusher. In the spring, he was arguably the line’s best tackler against the run but wasn’t nearly as physical after spraining his shoulder during a preseason scrimmage. Then came a knee injury that robbed him of mobility in the second half of the season. He dislocated the shoulder during the first half Monday and changed to street clothes for the second half. I stand behind my preseason ballot that had Madison as my choice for Big 12 defensive player of the year because he was that dominant in spring practices, but the injuries took their toll all season.

● Here’s me being grumpy media guy, but if you don’t host major college football games during the season — or at least a couple contests during the fall — maybe you shouldn’t be hosting a bowl game. The folks running the Independence Bowl are fine people with good intentions, but the press box at Independence Stadium was not equipped for a crowd full of reporters who are assigned to cover the game on a tight deadline. I can live with crummy food, frigid temperatures, a leaky roof and ceiling panels crumbling over our heads on press row. I can’t live with shoddy wireless Internet and no network coverage for cell phones. I could have watched the game from Hooters, raced over for postgame interviews and provided readers with better coverage. (I’ll remember that plan three years from now when Missouri makes its obligatory return to Shreveport.)

● It goes without saying that Missouri must improve in the secondary this offseason. E.J. Gaines was outstanding at cornerback, but the coverage dropped off Monday after he suffered a lower back strain and eventually sat out for good. I’m not sure if Tavon Bolden is the answer at free safety or if some young corners deserve a shot in the rotation next fall, but even the plodding offenses in the SEC have to be licking their chops for next year.

● The shame of the 2011 season was the quiet end to Grant Ressel’s career. The former All-Big 12 kicker lost his leg in September and his confidence seemed to go next. Then a hip injury sidelined him the rest of the season. An aspiring dentist, Ressel will have some good stories to share with patients some day, like the time he beat Kansas with a walk-off field goal at Arrowhead.

● That’s all for tonight and for 2011 when it comes to the Missouri football season, one of the more uniquely turbulent years since I’ve been on the beat. Put it this way: A year ago today, you would never have convinced me I’d be writing about Missouri joining the SEC, Sheldon Richardson actually enrolling and making an impact, the Tigers leading the Big 12 in rushing and, the most stunning headline of the decade, Pinkel getting busted for DWI. Thinking about the wild ride of 2011 took me back to a blistering June day in Joplin, when I joined Pinkel and a group of players for a day of cleaning up the tornado wreckage. As the last few stragglers boarded the bus back to Columbia, I found Jacquies Smith sitting on a street corner of a neighborhood of rubble. He’s a pretty reflective dude and certainly was that day.

“We’re working as a team, building unity,” he said. “It all carries into the season. It creates a lot of lifetime experiences. Guys like me, this being my last year, we can look back at this, this experience. Going through it with my fellow teammates, this is great.”

He might not have said the same during the rocky season that just wrapped up in Shreveport, but I found Smith outside the locker room Monday, just as a sense of closure settled in.

“It’s a good feeling. It gives these guys a lot of momentum going into next year,” he said. “We went out and played together and played as a team for the last time.”

There are surely worse ways to end a game, a season and a career.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Can we finally put to rest the myth of Mizzou being a poor red zone team just because we don't line up in the power I? We were the 11th best red zone team in the country this season (8th best in BCS conferences).

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1038

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Can we finally put to rest the myth of Mizzou being a poor red zone team just because we don't line up in the power I? We were the 11th best red zone team in the country this season (8th best in BCS conferences).

We can do that when we have Franklin at QB. At least we can in the IIX.

I'm still not sure we can get away with it in the SEC and I'm positive we can't once we no longer have a guy like Franklin taking the snaps. Ultimately, I don't think we'll see more QBs like Franklin in the future; it's just not smart to expose your QB that much against the SEC.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm still not sure we can get away with it in the SEC and I'm positive we can't once we no longer have a guy like Franklin taking the snaps. Ultimately, I don't think we'll see more QBs like Franklin in the future; it's just not smart to expose your QB that much against the SEC.

We were great when Daniel was the QB as well.

duncan_idaho
01-02-2012, 10:21 AM

The funny thing is that Missouri has typically done very well in the red zone since going to the spread (main exception being 2009, Gabbert was not very effective).

The problem is that because it looks "different" and is counter to what people are used to seeing, it is easier to criticize when you end up kicking a field goal.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 10:26 AM
The funny thing is that Missouri has typically done very well in the red zone since going to the spread (main exception being 2009, Gabbert was not very effective).

The problem is that because it looks "different" and is counter to what people are used to seeing, it is easier to criticize when you end up kicking a field goal.

That's exactly right. People remember the failures but disregard the successes. I've noticed a lot of teams going for it on 4th and short in the bowl games, and the I-formation runs up the middle have just been getting destroyed. Their fans are probably pissed that the OC wasn't more creative.

I have always been of the mindset that you should do what you do best. If 95% of our reps come out of the shotgun, I don't want us trying to go under center at the most critical moments of the games.

duncan_idaho
01-02-2012, 10:26 AM

As long as there is some misdirection associated with the zone read, it can be effective against any defense. With a QB who is a true running threat, it is much easier to get misdirection out of the zone read, and Missouri incorporated a LOT more triple option looks in its zone read this year (especially against the better, faster defenses).

Considering the success guys like Cam Newton and Tebow have had in the SEC, I think a Franklin-esque QB would work just fine.

Mauk is a very different player, though. Much closer to what Blaine Dalton was supposed to be (Pass-first QB who can run. Probably faster/quicker than Franklin, but less powerful).

KChiefs1
01-02-2012, 10:28 AM
3000 yds rushing & 3000 yds passing. Impressive!

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I think our bowl game showed that this team can play a power game out of the spread. When I rewatched the game, I was struck by how physical we were. Our hits were crisp. We finished our runs by falling forward. Our blocks knocked them backwards. We absolutely manhandled them.

duncan_idaho
01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
That's exactly right. People remember the failures but disregard the successes. I've noticed a lot of teams going for it on 4th and short in the bowl games, and the I-formation runs up the middle have just been getting destroyed. Their fans are probably pissed that the OC wasn't more creative.

I have always been of the mindset that you should do what you do best. If 95% of our reps come out of the shotgun, I don't want us trying to go under center at the most critical moments of the games.

Yeah, I've always been of the mindset that when you're outmanned against the front seven of a defense, it's better to spread them out to run than to try to go power and match them strength-for-strength.

QB sneaks on very short-to-go downs aside, there are tremendous benefits to taking LBs off the field when you want to run the football. The spread makes that easier.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
As long as there is some misdirection associated with the zone read, it can be effective against any defense. With a QB who is a true running threat, it is much easier to get misdirection out of the zone read, and Missouri incorporated a LOT more triple option looks in its zone read this year (especially against the better, faster defenses).

Considering the success guys like Cam Newton and Tebow have had in the SEC, I think a Franklin-esque QB would work just fine.

Mauk is a very different player, though. Much closer to what Blaine Dalton was supposed to be (Pass-first QB who can run. Probably faster/quicker than Franklin, but less powerful).

I don't disagree that it can be effective in the SEC - but is it prudent?

Franklin took some shots at the goalline this year and he'll take some even bigger ones in the SEC. Franklin's a damn sturdy guy so he's probably going to be able to take that pounding - but could Mauk?

I just don't like the idea of using your QB as a quasi-fullback against SEC defenses.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I think our bowl game showed that this team can play a power game out of the spread. When I rewatched the game, I was struck by how physical we were. Our hits were crisp. We finished our runs by falling forward. Our blocks knocked them backwards. We absolutely manhandled them.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

They can play a more powerful game out of the spread than they often do, but they can't play a 'power' game with wide splits.

Look at it this way - there's a reason the Greek phalanx could march forward like it could. If you're going to play a game centered around power and strength, is has to be one where individual strength is multiplied by proximity. Otherwise you're forced to play 1 on 1 football and I'm sorry, we just don't have the bulk to do that with regularity.

I still think NC came out dead-flat. I know the cry right now is that MU knocked the fight out of them, but Carolina sure looked eager to quit.

I'm not going to take anything from that game other than being happy about an 8 win season in a down year.

duncan_idaho
01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
From an Xs-and-Os standpoint, Missouri is one really gamebreaking receiver away from having a tremendous offense.

With a true running threat at QB like Franklin, the defense really has to commit a defender to the threat of the QB run except on extreme distance passing downs. This is why the wildcat is so effective - it gives the offense a plus-one advantage in the run game.

Throw in the spread offense, and a 4 WR set, and the defense really gets stressed. It must commit at least six to the run game (4 DL/1 LB-S to RB/1 LB-S to QB), which leaves five defenders to cover the four receivers in the passing game.

You either end up with:

1) A QB/RB who isn't accounted for. Typically will be signaled if there are two deep safeties and the D has a man rolled up against each of the wideouts. This is attacked with the zone read, based on the pre-snap read. The offense should have a plus-one to plus-two advantage and running room if blocking assignments are met and the QB makes the correct read.

2) A WR who isn't accounted for. Typically will be signaled if there are two deep safeties and the D either has an extra LB on the field, or if one of the slot defenders is rolling/showing motion to the backfield. This is attacked by having the uncovered wideout run something short (out, dig, drag, slant, curl, etc.)

3) Straight man coverage on the receivers with one safety over the top. Typically will be signaled if there is one safety (usually the FS) who is shaded down on one WR. Can be attacked with the run, short pass to the slot WR covered by the safety, or by deep passes against single coverage.

Basic situations there, but the core concepts of the spread.

A WR who demands a double-team at all times (like, for instance, a 6-6, 220 pounder who is the Missouri state 100m champ) would make Missouri's offense EXTREMELY difficult to defend.

duncan_idaho
01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't disagree that it can be effective in the SEC - but is it prudent?

Franklin took some shots at the goalline this year and he'll take some even bigger ones in the SEC. Franklin's a damn sturdy guy so he's probably going to be able to take that pounding - but could Mauk?

I just don't like the idea of using your QB as a quasi-fullback against SEC defenses.

I don't think you'd use Mauk as a quasi-fullback. He'd be used more similarly to Daniel. Roll-outs, sprint outs, etc. He's a better runner at this point than Chase was. He's much quicker and accelerates better than Gabbert, so he can actually force the weakside DE to stay home or pay for it in the zone read.

He's also probably going to be a better thrower - and better thrower on the run - than Franklin, so that adds some different wrinkles.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy it.

They can play a more powerful game out of the spread than they often do, but they can't play a 'power' game with wide splits.

Look at it this way - there's a reason the Greek phalanx could march forward like it could. If you're going to play a game centered around power and strength, is has to be one where individual strength is multiplied by proximity. Otherwise you're forced to play 1 on 1 football and I'm sorry, we just don't have the bulk to do that with regularity.

I still think NC came out dead-flat. I know the cry right now is that MU knocked the fight out of them, but Carolina sure looked eager to quit.

I'm not going to take anything from that game other than being happy about an 8 win season in a down year.

We don't run those wide splits anymore, not for a few years. What's more is we switched our Guards to a 3-point stance this season.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
We don't run those wide splits anymore, not for a few years. What's more is we switched our Guards to a 3-point stance this season.

Not as wide, but they're still split apart more than a 'conventional' offense.

I think we switched the guards out of necessity as much as anything; we had so many injuries on the line that I think we decided to 'dumb it down' a little to make due.

I'm pretty excited to see what this team can be next season if they can get more cohesion on the O-Line, more confidence from Franklin and another season from some young kids in the secondary.

The LBs may take a hit and the D-Line almost certainly will - I'm awfully worried about the front 7 next year, to be honest. Teams like Alabama may just beat us up and steal our lunch money up front.

I'm hoping we'll be able to unlock some of the 2007/2008 playbook, get the ball downfield a little more and hopefully force some of those power running schools to try to score with us. I don't see enough strength in the box to hold up in a slugfest.

Priest31kc
01-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah Im worried about our O-Line next year, 3 starters are leaving right? Hopefully Fisher can come back...I think Murphy could be a factor at RB next year w/Lawrence since Josey wont be back till 2013....Who will step up at WR? Lucas looks to be a good one w/Moe & Washington, but will Sasser & Hunt step up? With Egnew leaving, will Waters be a threat at TE?

I just dont see DGB choosing Mizzou...

duncan_idaho
01-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Not as wide, but they're still split apart more than a 'conventional' offense.

I think we switched the guards out of necessity as much as anything; we had so many injuries on the line that I think we decided to 'dumb it down' a little to make due.

I'm pretty excited to see what this team can be next season if they can get more cohesion on the O-Line, more confidence from Franklin and another season from some young kids in the secondary.

The LBs may take a hit and the D-Line almost certainly will - I'm awfully worried about the front 7 next year, to be honest. Teams like Alabama may just beat us up and steal our lunch money up front.

I'm hoping we'll be able to unlock some of the 2007/2008 playbook, get the ball downfield a little more and hopefully force some of those power running schools to try to score with us. I don't see enough strength in the box to hold up in a slugfest.

Why are you predicting a hit at LB? In all likelihood, Wilson and Gooden are both back. Lambert will be gone, but the tradeoff in athleticism for experience likely will be small.

I think they'll be fine at DE. Main concern is DT. Richardson and Vincent are likely a nice front two. Question is how Missouri holds up behind that duo.

Reaper16
01-02-2012, 11:17 AM

It feels like you just built up a strawman. I don't recall a whole lot of complaints about Mizzou's performance inside the 20. It's their performance inside the 5 -- goal line situations -- that gets the fanbase dreaming about a more traditional set in those situations.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Why are you predicting a hit at LB? In all likelihood, Wilson and Gooden are both back. Lambert will be gone, but the tradeoff in athleticism for experience likely will be small.

I think they'll be fine at DE. Main concern is DT. Richardson and Vincent are likely a nice front two. Question is how Missouri holds up behind that duo.

Well because I'm evidently an idiot - Wilson's only a RS soph? Seems like he's been around longer than that. I wonder if I just assumed he was the same age as Ebner. In either event, I guess I won't be quite as concerned, though losing Lambert will hurt a lot more than we think, IMO. Lambert was among the smartest players I've seen for Mizzou in awhile.

I've not been impressed by Vincent this year, though a step forward is likely; Vincent's just a kid. Why do you assume we'll be okay at DE? Smith's gone and Madison was exposed badly this year. Sam appears to have some promise but Ealy...jeez, what a disappointment he's been.

I think we're banking on being fine at DE simply because we have been for so long. But sooner or later we're going to roll snake-eyes at the position (it's gonna happen to us at QB one of these days as well).

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
It feels like you just built up a strawman. I don't recall a whole lot of complaints about Mizzou's performance inside the 20. It's their performance inside the 5 -- goal line situations -- that gets the fanbase dreaming about a more traditional set in those situations.

If you can find a statistic that shows we were inadequate in goal line situations, I'm certainly willing to listen.