PDA

View Full Version : MU ***Official 2011-2012 Mizzou football repository thread***

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah Im worried about our O-Line next year, 3 starters are leaving right? Hopefully Fisher can come back...I think Murphy could be a factor at RB next year w/Lawrence since Josey wont be back till 2013....Who will step up at WR? Lucas looks to be a good one w/Moe & Washington, but will Sasser & Hunt step up? With Egnew leaving, will Waters be a threat at TE?

I just dont see DGB choosing Mizzou...

Has there been a ruling on Fisher?

Most folks seem to believe he won't get that 6th year of eligibility due to the nature of his injury. His 6th year would be from a football injury, as opposed to Lambert's goofy illness thing. The NCAA is loathe to grant that.

Obviously his return would be a huge help, but I'm not sure it's wise to bank on it.

Ultimately I'm really hoping to see Britt move back inside to replace Palmgren (Meiners to RG); Britt just didn't seem quick enough for LT. Losing Hoch will really really hurt - maybe this season at LT will have Britt capable of playing RT. He doesn't have the feet to play LT, but he could probably be a solid RT.

There's a ton of good youth on the line, but we just don't know what it's going to do until we see it.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Has there been a ruling on Fisher?

Most folks seem to believe he won't get that 6th year of eligibility due to the nature of his injury. His 6th year would be from a football injury, as opposed to Lambert's goofy illness thing. The NCAA is loathe to grant that.

Obviously his return would be a huge help, but I'm not sure it's wise to bank on it.

Ultimately I'm really hoping to see Britt move back inside to replace Palmgren (Meiners to RG); Britt just didn't seem quick enough for LT. Losing Hoch will really really hurt - maybe this season at LT will have Britt capable of playing RT. He doesn't have the feet to play LT, but he could probably be a solid RT.

There's a ton of good youth on the line, but we just don't know what it's going to do until we see it.

I've heard that EF likely doesn't want to return. I'm certainly not counting on him coming back, but we will have the most talented offensive line in team history. It won't be very experienced, though.

Also, Britt is a Guard, but he did a great job in the bowl game against a top 15 draft pick DE. We didn't help him with a TE or by chipping with a RB, either.

Pitt Gorilla
01-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Well because I'm evidently an idiot - Wilson's only a RS soph? Seems like he's been around longer than that. I wonder if I just assumed he was the same age as Ebner. In either event, I guess I won't be quite as concerned, though losing Lambert will hurt a lot more than we think, IMO. Lambert was among the smartest players I've seen for Mizzou in awhile.

I've not been impressed by Vincent this year, though a step forward is likely; Vincent's just a kid. Why do you assume we'll be okay at DE? Smith's gone and Madison was exposed badly this year. Sam appears to have some promise but Ealy...jeez, what a disappointment he's been.

I think we're banking on being fine at DE simply because we have been for so long. But sooner or later we're going to roll snake-eyes at the position (it's gonna happen to us at QB one of these days as well).Madison has been playing (extremely) hurt all year long. He's going to be fine.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I've heard that EF likely doesn't want to return. I'm certainly not counting on him coming back, but we will have the most talented offensive line in team history. It won't be very experienced, though.

Also, Britt is a Guard, but he did a great job in the bowl game against a top 15 draft pick DE. We didn't help him with a TE or by chipping with a RB, either.

Really? Seems odd; he's probably no higher than a 5th rounder if he leaves this year. He doesn't seem to have much to lose by staying in another season. A good year could've have him as a 2nd round pick given his measurables.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Really? Seems odd; he's probably no higher than a 5th rounder if he leaves this year. He doesn't seem to have much to lose by staying in another season. A good year could've have him as a 2nd round pick given his measurables.

I agree, but he might be worried about a career ending injury stopping him from ever getting a shot in the league. If he comes back, great. I'm just not expecting it.

duncan_idaho
01-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Well because I'm evidently an idiot - Wilson's only a RS soph? Seems like he's been around longer than that. I wonder if I just assumed he was the same age as Ebner. In either event, I guess I won't be quite as concerned, though losing Lambert will hurt a lot more than we think, IMO. Lambert was among the smartest players I've seen for Mizzou in awhile.

I've not been impressed by Vincent this year, though a step forward is likely; Vincent's just a kid. Why do you assume we'll be okay at DE? Smith's gone and Madison was exposed badly this year. Sam appears to have some promise but Ealy...jeez, what a disappointment he's been.

I think we're banking on being fine at DE simply because we have been for so long. But sooner or later we're going to roll snake-eyes at the position (it's gonna happen to us at QB one of these days as well).

Ebner is probably going to be able to get a waiver and consider this year a redshirt year, so he'll be back as well. That makes up a lot for Lambert, too. You're right in that he was a very intelligent player. I just look at Wilson and Gooden as the two key guys, considering Lambert's co-starter is coming back.

I think they're OK at DE for a few reasons:

1) Madison was limited by injuries to his shoulder and his leg. Sapped his strength and his explosiveness. He was not the same player in fall, after the injuries, that he was in the Spring. A healthy Madison is a better player than the one we saw this year.

2) Ealy was a redshirt freshman and played OK for a player of his experience. He wasn't Aldon Smith, but those expectations were likely unrealistic, anyway. He's going to get better.

3) At some point, you have to credit coaching for the consistent level of play at DE. Coach Kulogiowski is one of the better DL coaches in the country. His players have, for the most part, consistently improved as time has gone on (barring injury). For that reason, I'd expect Sam, Burnett, Ealy, all to be better in 2012.

4) Facing fewer spread passing attacks will give the DEs a little more time and opportunity to shine.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 12:21 PM
South Carolina is running wide splits in their goal line package with guards in a 2-point stance.

Reaper16
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
If you can find a statistic that shows we were inadequate in goal line situations, I'm certainly willing to listen.
This post doesn't even make sense. Willing to listen to what? Mizzou fanbase complaints? The statistic? I don't follow.

Saul Good
01-02-2012, 12:56 PM
This post doesn't even make sense. Willing to listen to what? Mizzou fanbase complaints? The statistic? I don't follow.

I'm willing to listen to the argument that we should switch to a more traditional goal line formation. I've seen a ton of people call for it, but I have yet to hear a compelling argument for doing so.

I just gave you red zone numbers showing that we are extremely efficient. You complained that it was a straw man. You have complained that my position isn't strong, but you have provided exactly nothing to counter it.

Reaper16
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm willing to listen to the argument that we should switch to a more traditional goal line formation. I've seen a ton of people call for it, but I have yet to hear a compelling argument for doing so.

I just gave you red zone numbers showing that we are extremely efficient. You complained that it was a straw man. You have complained that my position isn't strong, but you have provided exactly nothing to counter it.
All I did was disagree with the existence of a "myth" that Missouri is ineffective in the red zone. I think that no such myth exists. I contend that the Missouri fanbase complaints have been specifically about goal line performance (which is factored into the red zone statistics you linked to, but of course includes many more situations too).

I'm not arguing that Missouri should or should not change their approach to goal line situations. All I did was say that you built a strawman out of inefficiencies inside the 20 in order to knock it down with that link; that you are mischaracterizing Mizzou fanbase complaints over the years.

eazyb81
01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Whoa! This came out of nowhere!!!!

PeteScantlebury Pete Scantlebury
Former four-star receiver and Texas player Darius White informed me that he is transferring to #Mizzou.
3 minutes ago

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Darius-White-78114

Good God, look at that offer list! He will have to sit out next year and then have two years of eligibility remaining starting in 2013.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Former four-star receiver and Texas player Darius White informed me that he is transferring to #Mizzou.
3 minutes ago

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Darius-White-78114

Good God, look at that offer list! He will have to sit out next year and then have two years of eligibility remaining starting in 2013.

Holy shit.

Now that's not a bad get right there. Not a bad replacement for TJ Moe in 2013 at all, eh?

Here's hoping it sends some sort of signal to DGB that this team's coming and coming hard.

duncan_idaho
01-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Holy shit.

Now that's not a bad get right there. Not a bad replacement for TJ Moe in 2013 at all, eh?

Here's hoping it sends some sort of signal to DGB that this team's coming and coming hard.

White already sent some messages to DGB. Apparently, on his recruiting trip, he told DGB to not go to Texas, because they didn't know how to use or develop WRs.

Big-time speed guy. Attitude questions.

If the Missouri coaches can get him to focus and practice hard - and I'm sure they have made no qualms about setting his expectations - it could pay huge dividends.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2012, 04:09 PM
White already sent some messages to DGB. Apparently, on his recruiting trip, he told DGB to not go to Texas, because they didn't know how to use or develop WRs.

If the Missouri coaches can get him to focus and practice hard - and I'm sure they have made no qualms about setting his expectations - it could pay huge dividends.

It's speed that this offense has really lacked since we lost Maclin.

Washington was about the only guy on the roster that had true vertical speed and we saw what he could do when given a chance. Lucas showed off a little as well.

This offense needs a true burner to be legitimately dangerous and I think the last few years have proven that.

SEC Speed!

Saul Good
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Buzz that we might get Hansborough as well.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM

Hansbrough might be a better fit for the offense than Williams was anyway; by most accounts he's more of an explosive back.

Personally I'd rather get Williams back; that was a big kid to be that fast - but Hansbrough would be an okay replacement.

eazyb81
01-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Hansbrough might be a better fit for the offense than Williams was anyway; by most accounts he's more of an explosive back.

Personally I'd rather get Williams back; that was a big kid to be that fast - but Hansbrough would be an okay replacement.

I'd rather have Hansbrough and David Perkins. Perkins could be the big back that Williams was supposed to be.

We also have Morgan Steward coming in who looked great this year according to reports.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd rather have Hansbrough and David Perkins. Perkins could be the big back that Williams was supposed to be.

We also have Morgan Steward coming in who looked great this year according to reports.

Or he could be another Greg White.

I think I'm beyond looking for 'the big back' at this point - we're just not going to use one like a conventional power back.

As such, I'd prefer we look for fast, elusive backs. If you happen to be big enough to shake off the first guy and get to the 2nd level, all the better. That's what was nice about Williams - kid seems like he's a fast back first, a big back 2nd.

eazyb81
01-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Or he could be another Greg White.

I think I'm beyond looking for 'the big back' at this point - we're just not going to use one like a conventional power back.

As such, I'd prefer we look for fast, elusive backs. If you happen to be big enough to shake off the first guy and get to the 2nd level, all the better. That's what was nice about Williams - kid seems like he's a fast back first, a big back 2nd.

I would have agreed with you before this year, but I also never thought Yost would completely commit to the running game like we did this season.

I don't think Pinkel is stupid. He has to know the wide open spread offense is not going to work in the SEC like it did in the Big 12. You need guys who can move the chains, slow the game down, and give your defense some time to rest if you want to win in that league.

O.city
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
The Josey injury is killer too.

beer bacon
01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
We will incorporate a big back into our offense if we can get one. Greg White isn't ready to contribute. We have tried to go after quite a few bigger backs in recent years, but we can't land any. Derrick Washington played at 225.

I think Steward will eventually be up in the 210-215 pound range. He has nice wheels too.

duncan_idaho
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
The nice thing about Franklin-style QBs (or Tim Tebow, Colin Klein, etc.) is that they're so big, they really can function like a big back in the spread offense as long as they avoid the huge hits in the open field.

Mauk is not that sort of quarterback, but Morgan Steward's high school QB - Hosick - fits the mold. I wouldn't be surprised to see Missouri start focusing on more QBs that look like Franklin/Hosick in the days to come.

O.city
01-06-2012, 06:00 PM
DGB would be a great great get for MIzzou heading into the SEC. It really could set the tone for Tiger recruiting for hte next few years.

Mizzou_8541
01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Wait, so the sixth best WR in the nation (in 2010), and a highly recruited RB from from Texas committed to Mizzou today (so it appears)? I didn't think we were supposed to be able to recruit in Texas anymore. Terrible move to the SEC.

baitism
01-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I think next year Mizzou will fully see the fruits of the SEC move. Mizzou will be in on players we never could have dreamed of before.

Frazod
01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
I think next year Mizzou will fully see the fruits of the SEC move. Mizzou will be in on players we never could have dreamed of before.

Really? It's my understanding that we're DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!111

KChiefs1
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM

3 minutes ago

Wow!

KChiefs1
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Great start to the weekend!

Mizzou_8541
01-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Great start to the weekend!

He's got a nice offer list: a&m, auburn, among others.

Edit: not a&m. Some of his offers are Arizona state, auburn, texas tech, byu...

talastan
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Come on DGB, there's no place like home!!

KcMizzou
01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Come on DGB, there's no place like home!!If this were Facebook, I'd "like" it.

Trevo_410
01-07-2012, 12:50 AM
what the depth chart looking like for the 2013-14 season recieverS?

Mizzou_8541
01-07-2012, 07:49 AM
what the depth chart looking like for the 2013-14 season recieverS?

My guess:

X: Lucas, Sr.
White, Jr.
Clark, Sr.

H: Sasser, Jr.
Aikens, So. (if he commits)

Z: DGB, So. :p
Washington, Sr.
Hunt, Jr.

TE: Waters, Sr.
Culkin, So.

duncan_idaho
01-07-2012, 09:02 AM
My guess:

White, Jr.
Clark, Sr.

H: Sasser, Jr.
Aikens, So. (if he commits)

Z: DGB, So. :p
Washington, Sr.
Hunt, Jr.

TE: Waters, Sr.
Culkin, So.

The H position is the traditional "TE" spot played by Egnew, Coffman, Rucker and Maclin (2008) and Alexander (2009). They also slide the TE into the Z spot in some situations (that's what Coffman played in 2007, when Rucker was still around).

That's also the position DGB would play if he was in Columbia. If they land DGB, it would look more like this:

Hunt, Jr.

Y: Washington, Sr.
White, Jr.

H: DGB, So.
Lucas/Waters (would be the secondary options out of this spot)

Z: Waters, Sr.
Sasser, Jr.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2012, 09:13 AM

3 minutes ago

Holy shit.

It's speed that this offense has really lacked since we lost Maclin.

Washington was about the only guy on the roster that had true vertical speed and we saw what he could do when given a chance. Lucas showed off a little as well.

This offense needs a true burner to be legitimately dangerous and I think the last few years have proven that.

SEC Speed!

Wow, that's a great get, fellas.

ChiefsOne
01-07-2012, 09:25 AM
The H position is the traditional "TE" spot played by Egnew, Coffman, Rucker and Maclin (2008) and Alexander (2009). They also slide the TE into the Z spot in some situations (that's what Coffman played in 2007, when Rucker was still around).

That's also the position DGB would play if he was in Columbia. If they land DGB, it would look more like this:

Hunt, Jr.

Y: Washington, Sr.
White, Jr.

H: DGB, So.
Lucas/Waters (would be the secondary options out of this spot)

Z: Waters, Sr.
Sasser, Jr.

Except that DGB would be a Freshman. Hopefully he announces today at the Army game and doesn't wait til National Signing Day.

duncan_idaho
01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Except that DGB would be a Freshman. Hopefully he announces today at the Army game and doesn't wait til National Signing Day.

In 2012 he'd be a freshman. That was a guess at the depth chart in 2013, when he would be a sophomore.

He keeps saying he'll wait until NSD, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just decides to do it on a random Thursday morning. And I can't see him doing it on the big stage.

Not that kind of kid.

Mizzou_8541
01-07-2012, 09:57 AM
In 2012 he'd be a freshman. That was a guess at the depth chart in 2013, when he would be a sophomore.

He keeps saying he'll wait until NSD, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just decides to do it on a random Thursday morning. And I can't see him doing it on the big stage.

Not that kind of kid.

Agreed. He is conducting his recruitment about as professionally as one could ask of an 18 year old kid. I think Mizzou is in much better shape than many in the media want to admit. The last two 5-star recruits from Missouri have stayed home. I won't be surprised if he chooses Mizzou on a random Thursday like you said. I also won't be surprised if he chooses arky, OU, etc.

eazyb81
01-07-2012, 09:58 AM
We're still on Ed Pope and David Perkins, who could figure in to the WR depth chart beginning next year. Pope is a WR and Perkins could play RB, WR, or LB.

baitism
01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
DGB is supposed to visit Arky on the 20th and Mizzou shortly thereafter. If he doesn't announce for Arky or cancel his visit to Mizzou, I like our chances. I think if his last visit is Mizzou before NSD, we get him.

Mizzou_8541
01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
We're still on Ed Pope and David Perkins, who could figure in to the WR depth chart beginning next year. Pope is a WR and Perkins could play RB, WR, or LB.

Good point. Forgot about Pope.

Trevo_410
01-07-2012, 10:17 AM
ehh, not football relative but ...

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7432449&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

duncan_idaho
01-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I like the recent trends re: DGB.

Kid still hasn't made up his mind, but Mizzou is right in the thick of it. would be a huge, huge victory, no doubt about it.

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I like the recent trends re: DGB.

Kid still hasn't made up his mind, but Mizzou is right in the thick of it. would be a huge, huge victory, no doubt about it.

I've read that our assistant coaches think he's coming to Mizzou. I still think he's going to Arkansas, but I think we've got a 25% chance. Those aren't bad odds for a guy who could be a program changer.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I want him at Mizzou something fierce, but were I DGB, I'd go to Arkansas.

They play a freakin' Madden offense. They drop back and hurl it deep for one of their guys to chase and snag. They had something like 3 guys in the top 10 in YPC last season.

They keep doing it with different QBs and they're pretty much shameless in their approach ("Yeah, we're throwing it - blow me").

For a massive WR with elite speed and NFL ambitions, Arkansas is the clear choice, IMO.

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I want him at Mizzou something fierce, but were I DGB, I'd go to Arkansas.

They play a freakin' Madden offense. They drop back and hurl it deep for one of their guys to chase and snag. They had something like 3 guys in the top 10 in YPC last season.

They keep doing it with different QBs and they're pretty much shameless in their approach ("Yeah, we're throwing it - blow me").

For a massive WR with elite speed and NFL ambitions, Arkansas is the clear choice, IMO.

If Wilson leaves, I like our chances much more.

O.city
01-08-2012, 04:00 PM
If Wilson leaves, I like our chances much more.

Even if Wilson leaves, Arkansas will run the same offense.

Don't they have one of the top qb prospects coming in next year?

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Even if Wilson leaves, Arkansas will run the same offense.

Don't they have one of the top qb prospects coming in next year?

I don't know that I'd want to take my chances with a true Freshman versus Franklin being a Junior and Senior during DGB's Frosh and Soph seasons.

O.city
01-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't know that I'd want to take my chances with a true Freshman versus Franklin being a Junior and Senior during DGB's Frosh and Soph seasons.

This is true.

I meant tho, that Arkansas has someone behind Wilson that will be a soph I think. Not sure on this one. But you make a good point.

DJ's left nut
01-08-2012, 04:22 PM

If you're DGB, would you rather play with Franklin or Mauk over the next 2 seasons?

I think I'd rather play with Mauk. Sure, there's going to be a break in period, but give me the guy that is going to throw downfield.

I'll take any advantage I can get in this little competition, but I don't think Franklin gives us much of an edge here, even if Wilson leaves.

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Russel Hansbrough, Welcome to the ZOU!

imthatnike russell hansbrough
Decommiting from a college is by far one of the hardest things to do. I am officially a man and I am officially a Mizzou TIGER

Subscibe to this dude at... https://twitter.com/#!/imthatnike

https://p.twimg.com/AirVl37CIAEKR7N.jpg

Junior/Soph Year:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TMC-gLBlGqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome get!

kcchiefsus
01-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Decommiting from a college is by far one of the hardest things to do. I am officially a man and I am officially a Mizzou TIGER

Junior/Soph Year:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TMC-gLBlGqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome get!

But, I thought the move to the SEC meant we wouldn't be able to recruit Texas?

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
reminds me of a Josey/McCluster combo

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 07:50 PM
hmmm maybe this is a sign of something about hines...

RAYgotBANDS Ray Buchanan Jr
Sorry Hogs, I had a change of heart. Officially committing to UGA! #bulldognation
4 minutes ago
Retweeted by Come_Witness11 (hines)

Mizzou_8541
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
hmmm maybe this is a sign of something about hines...

RAYgotBANDS Ray Buchanan Jr
Sorry Hogs, I had a change of heart. Officially committing to UGA! #bulldognation
4 minutes ago
Retweeted by Come_Witness11 (hines)

Not following you. What's the significance here...?

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Not following you. What's the significance here...?

well, the cb who left was a arky commit leaving for georgia... it could rather be like... "They clearing up space for me"

or... "LOL I see where you're coming from bro. Arky flat out sucks"

but i just recently heard his account got hacked so it don't matter no more..

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Junior/Soph Year:

Awesome get!

From those clips, I like his vision and balance. He also sets up blocks nicely. Seems to lack homerun speed, though.

Trevo_410
01-08-2012, 08:29 PM
http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1316322

eazyb81
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
With only around 3 weeks before signing day, we're entering crunch time for this recruiting class.

After the Hansbrough commit, Pete Scantlebury thinks we only have 4 spots left in his class, with 1 spot saved for DGB if he commits.

I believe these are the remaining targets on our big board:
- DGB - 5*
- David Perkins - 4*
- Edward Pope - 4*
- Jake Meador - 4*
- Javonte Magee - 4*
- Aaron Curry - 3*
- Mike Onuoha - unranked (just picked up an OU offer)

If we finish strong, this could be a great class, and much better than anyone was expecting about two months ago during the SEC drama.

duncan_idaho
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
With only around 3 weeks before signing day, we're entering crunch time for this recruiting class.

After the Hansbrough commit, Pete Scantlebury thinks we only have 4 spots left in his class, with 1 spot saved for DGB if he commits.

I believe these are the remaining targets on our big board:
- DGB - 5*
- David Perkins - 4*
- Edward Pope - 4*
- Jake Meador - 4*
- Javonte Magee - 4*
- Aaron Curry - 3*
- Mike Onuoha - unranked (just picked up an OU offer)

If we finish strong, this could be a great class, and much better than anyone was expecting about two months ago during the SEC drama.

I honestly think there's a decent chance Missouri lands the first four guys you listed.

DGB - Mizzou vs. Arkansas. Tough call. Playing style aside (both Arkansas and Mizzou present advantages), really apparently will just be more about where the kid feels more 'at home.' Who knows. Hopefully the relationship with Yost/Mizzou staff, his girlfriend being at UMKC, and the opportunity to play the same position as his buddy Danario Alexander wins out.

Perkins - Is down to Mizzou, Michigan State and Ohio State. Not sure how heavy the interest in Ohio State is, but he likes the prospect of being offered a chance to play RB at Mizzou.

Pope - Currently committed to TCU but coming to Mizzou for a visit in the coming weeks. Really interested in WR in this offense.

Meador - Will be between Mizzou and Florida, which recently offered, IMO. Neither has been on him a long time, but Mizzou is closer and has been on him longer. Pinkel was his first in-home visit.

As for the others... it sounds like McGee is Baylor-bound, Onuoha is an OKlahoma kid with an OU offer, and Curry sounds unlikely.

Still could be a huge, huge finish for the Mizzou recruiting class.

eazyb81
01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I still like our odds with Onuoha and Curry. Both are taking all their visits before they make a decision.

Al Bundy
01-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Looks like WIll Hines has decommitted.

eazyb81
01-19-2012, 07:46 AM
MU Bobby with some intel on DGB......

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=9307084

God damn I want to see DGB in black and gold. If we get him the class is an absolute success even with the random decommits from Texas players.

I know it's not right, but I seriously hope Will Hines blows out his knee and has a miserable college career.

eazyb81
01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
DGB in the Pinkelcopter.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc451/williestark69/DGB.jpg

Saul Good
01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
DGB in the Pinkelcopter.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc451/williestark69/DGB.jpg

Bring it home, Pink.

DJ's left nut
01-19-2012, 02:08 PM
MU Bobby with some intel on DGB......

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=9307084

God damn I want to see DGB in black and gold. If we get him the class is an absolute success even with the random decommits from Texas players.

I know it's not right, but I seriously hope Will Hines blows out his knee and has a miserable college career.

Figured we'd lose him when Odom left.

Frankly, I'd prefer that Hines has a fine career and that Bobby Petrino dies screaming in a fire.

ChiefsOne
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Dorel won't even give some of his closest friends a hint. I talked to one of them Tuesday night and he said he really had no idea that Dorel won't give him anything. This kid is going to Mizzou, so I told him to convenience DGB to go too!

baitism
01-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Was he convenienced? lol

ChiefsOne
01-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Not yet, but Pinkel was at Hilcrest today.

eazyb81
01-20-2012, 07:48 AM
M-I-Z D-G-B!!!

This is pretty cool.

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/article/298204/6/Nations-top-football-recruit-comes-to-StLouis-for-basketball

duncan_idaho
01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Dorel won't even give some of his closest friends a hint. I talked to one of them Tuesday night and he said he really had no idea that Dorel won't give him anything. This kid is going to Mizzou, so I told him to convenience DGB to go too!

This has been one of the more interesting aspects of the recruitment. Despite the fact that DGB doesn't talk to anyone about what he wants to do - he hasn't even really sat down with his family to discuss it - there have been tons of rumors from OU and Arkansas fans about "what DGB has told ... the principal at Hillcrest's son/cousin/etc/etc about how its Arkansas or OU."

Those rumors have not floated as heavily from the Mizzou side, and I think that's why you see the accepted public perception leaning towards first OU and then Arkansas.

I will say this...

Apparently, Dorial thought Pinkel arriving in a helicopter was "awesome" (has been funny watching Hog fans try to make fun of that as a "desperate" ploy - Pinkel does it every year at this time, to get around as quickly as possible). That will be part of a bigger KSDK interview aired Sunday.

Mom and Dad are also heavily in Mizzou's corner (though his little brother, the one who is sick, is an Arkansas lover) and will have some influence in the decision.

Oh, and one last thing... Maty Mauk in town for DGB's visit next weekend. Hearing him talk about that in the interview, I think he'd be pretty excited to play with Maty for a few years.

beer bacon
01-20-2012, 09:11 AM
DGB also confirmed when he was at that St. Louis TV station for his interview that Mizzou is one of his top two schools. I don't think it was part of the official interview, but there is a producer for that station that posts at PowerMizzou. He confirmed it.

Mizzou_8541
01-21-2012, 08:05 AM
A couple of quick questions:

1. Re: football recruits- anyone know who is visiting this weekend?

2. Also, way OT, what happened to Sully...haven't seen him post in awhile.

Sully
01-21-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm just a lurker

duncan_idaho
01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
A couple of quick questions:

1. Re: football recruits- anyone know who is visiting this weekend?

2. Also, way OT, what happened to Sully...haven't seen him post in awhile.

No real visits this weekend. Looks like all the big stuff is happening next week, when DGB comes in. Also, all the big guys in this class are coming in - including, apparently, Maty Mauk and his parents.

Mizzou_8541
01-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm just a lurker

I mostly lurk also, but your insight is missed!

Sully
01-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I doubt it, but thanks! Appreciate it.

Mizzou_8541
01-21-2012, 10:20 AM
No real visits this weekend. Looks like all the big stuff is happening next week, when DGB comes in. Also, all the big guys in this class are coming in - including, apparently, Maty Mauk and his parents.

Has the ship sailed on meador(sp?) and Pope?

duncan_idaho
01-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Has the ship sailed on meador(sp?) and Pope?

Not sure on Pope. He's visiting Arkansas today and still might visit Mizzou next weekend.

I think chances are still good with Meador.

baitism
01-22-2012, 12:10 AM
I think Mizzou has a good chance of landing Meador. Pope really depends on if he visits next weekend. Pinkel should be putting out the vibe to induce some peer pressure on each recruit to come to Mizzou.

KcMizzou
01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
dennisdoddcbs Dennis Dodd
I am told intended dgb 3 pm signing day presser changed to 9 am to accommodate tv

DGB undecided on HOW he will announce (ie baby razorback or tiger pulled out of sack)

crispystl
01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I am told intended dgb 3 pm signing day presser changed to 9 am to accommodate tv

DGB undecided on HOW he will announce (ie baby razorback or tiger pulled out of sack)

Is he announcing tomorrow?

Saul Good
01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Is he announcing tomorrow?

Signing day is a little over a week away still.

Captain Obvious
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
I hope the fact that we are his last visit is a good sign.

Saul Good
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM

His whole family is supposedly coming with him.

crispystl
01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Signing day is a little over a week away still.

Ok thanks. I'm a huge football fan but I don't pay attention to the recruiting details too closely.

duncan_idaho
01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Some updates...

Buzz from TCU folks is that Pope is probably firmed up to them. He did NOT visit Arkansas last weekend, but might be going either to Mizzou or Arkansas this weekend.

Word is spreading among students about the DGB visit. I think the welcoming he receives on Saturday will be very good. His very pro-Mizzou parents will be there with him, not sure on the little brother and little sister.

Saul Good
01-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Some updates...

Buzz from TCU folks is that Pope is probably firmed up to them. He did NOT visit Arkansas last weekend, but might be going either to Mizzou or Arkansas this weekend.

Word is spreading among students about the DGB visit. I think the welcoming he receives on Saturday will be very good. His very pro-Mizzou parents will be there with him, not sure on the little brother and little sister.

I want DGB for what it would symbolize for the program as much as what he would mean on the field. That said, if he can be Danario without the knee issues, he'd have meant 2 more wins this year alone.

kepp
01-24-2012, 09:43 AM

So it sounds to me that he has decided on a school, just not on how to announce it...

...and if he has decided already, would he still officially visit the school he didn't decide on?

Lots of homerism there, I know.

duncan_idaho
01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
So it sounds to me that he has decided on a school, just not on how to announce it...

...and if he has decided already, would he still officially visit the school he didn't decide on?

Lots of homerism there, I know.

I don't think he has decided.

I'd expect he'd have a conversation with his parents once he had, and from what I hear, he hasn't had that conversation with his parents yet.

But there's no doubt it's a good thing he's visiting Mizzou this weekend (and bringing mom and dad with him). I have no doubt Mom and Dad are in Mizzou's corner, which is a helpful factor.

We'll see what happens.

He WOULD be Danario without the knee injuries, IMO. I've broken down how I think DGB's addition would open up the Mizzou offense. I'm sure Mizzou coaches have been doing the same.

beer bacon
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
There is a dead period starting next Sunday through signing day. DGB's visit to MU ends Sunday. That means no coaches will be able to initiate contact with him once his MU visit is over.

DJ's left nut
01-24-2012, 11:01 AM
There is a dead period starting next Sunday through signing day. DGB's visit to MU ends Sunday. That means no coaches will be able to initiate contact with him once his MU visit is over.

Bobby Petrino is the world's preeminent motherfucker. The foremost expert in being a dickholster.

He's the alpha and omega of slimy, cheating, duplicitous shitheads.

He'll find a way to 'influence' DGB over that dead period - count on it.

duncan_idaho
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Bobby Petrino is the world's preeminent mother****er. The foremost expert in being a dickholster.

He's the alpha and omega of slimy, cheating, duplicitous shitheads.

He'll find a way to 'influence' DGB over that dead period - count on it.

From everything I've heard about John Beckham and his wife, that type of thing would be an extreme negative factor.

Would love for Arkansas to try something outlandish (who knows, maybe they already did - apparently, they threw a bunch of ugly Tri-Delts at him while he was in Springfield). It would likely backfire.

Great Expectations
01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Anybody hear how his visit with Stoops went yesterday?

duncan_idaho
01-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Anybody hear how his visit with Stoops went yesterday?

I wouldn't worry about OU at this point. It isn't happening.

Pitt Gorilla
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Outstanding article on Evan Boehm. It's too long to post the entire piece, so I'll simply link it.

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1322374

eazyb81
01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Mizzou has invaded Hillcrest High School.

http://www.tigerboard.com/uimages/user25718_3.jpg

Saul Good
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Still need the Pinkelcopter.

talastan
01-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I love that we are pursuing this kid with everything that we've got. I espeically love that he is from my old school. Go Hornets!! This will bring a lot of good things to Hillcrest in the future hopefully.

OmahaChief
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Mizzou has invaded Hillcrest High School.

http://www.tigerboard.com/uimages/user25718_3.jpg

Sweet SEC logo on that bus.

Saul Good
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I love that we are pursuing this kid with everything that we've got. I espeically love that he is from my old school. Go Hornets!! This will bring a lot of good things to Hillcrest in the future hopefully.

Are there more Mizzou or Arky fans at that school?

talastan
01-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Are there more Mizzou or Arky fans at that school?

Mizzou is pretty much the school of choice down here outside of the citys general support of MSU Bears.

mnchiefsguy
01-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Mizzou is pretty much the school of choice down here outside of the citys general support of MSU Bears.

Yeah, KK made a comment one day about how Southern Missouri is Arkansas country. My family is from Springfield, and I am down there often...and I just don't see a lot of Arkansas support. I am sure there are some folks down there, since Arkansas is not that far away, but it is definitely not what I would consider to be 'Razorback Country' or anything like that. I think folks think there is less Mizzou support down there only because the town absolutely loves the MSU Bears, especially during basketball season (both the men's and women's teams have a strong following)

talastan
01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah, KK made a comment one day about how Southern Missouri is Arkansas country. My family is from Springfield, and I am down there often...and I just don't see a lot of Arkansas support. I am sure there are some folks down there, since Arkansas is not that far away, but it is definitely not what I would consider to be 'Razorback Country' or anything like that. I think folks think there is less Mizzou support down there only because the town absolutely loves the MSU Bears, especially during basketball season (both the men's and women's teams have a strong following)

I think you'll start to see more Mizzou support publicly here in Springfield as the Tigers start to get more nationally televised games thanks to the SEC move.

duncan_idaho
01-25-2012, 02:51 PM
I think you'll start to see more Mizzou support publicly here in Springfield as the Tigers start to get more nationally televised games thanks to the SEC move.

Just wait until its favored son becomes a superstar playing at Mizzou... then see what happens.

mnchiefsguy
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM

I think so. And if DGB does wind up at Mizzou, that will have a huge impact as well. Springfieldians love one of their own (as hometown fans should), and Mizzou will get a lot of support and attention around town as folks follow his career.

talastan
01-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Just wait until its favored son becomes a superstar playing at Mizzou... then see what happens.

I think so. And if DGB does wind up at Mizzou, that will have a huge impact as well. Springfieldians love one of their own (as hometown fans should), and Mizzou will get a lot of support and attention around town as folks follow his career.

I really hope he chooses Mizzou.

Saul Good
01-25-2012, 03:08 PM

That cuts both ways, though.

talastan
01-25-2012, 03:10 PM
From everything I've heard about John Beckham and his wife, that type of thing would be an extreme negative factor.

Would love for Arkansas to try something outlandish (who knows, maybe they already did - apparently, they threw a bunch of ugly Tri-Delts at him while he was in Springfield). It would likely backfire.

Where was this? I hadn't heard of this news...... Were they Tri-Delts from MSU?

duncan_idaho
01-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Where was this? I hadn't heard of this news...... Were they Tri-Delts from MSU?

The Arkansas student/moron who was bragging on Twitter about buying DGB drinks also bragged about being able to hook him up with any girl he wanted (and @ed a bunch of girls). He then Tweeted a pic of DGB with a bunch of trolls, making the Tri-Delt hand signal with them.

Arkie Tri-Delts, I assume. Though if they were at Mizzou, those girls would have been stuck at Phi Mu, Alpha Chi Omega or Zeta.

Priest31kc
01-25-2012, 03:34 PM
finebaum Finebaum Network
Luginbill on Dorial Green-Beckham,'It's a three horse race between Missouri, Texas or Arkansas. I give Ark a slight lead.'

DJ's left nut
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Petrino no longer going to visit DGB tomorrow:

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/34571702

Eh, just means he'll be sending a suitcase full of cash, a trunk full of whores and a bunch of empty promises about loyalty and family.

Ugh...I was kinda hoping Chip Kelly would leave, good ol' Bobby woulda been a great fit at Oregon.

talastan
01-25-2012, 04:30 PM

Eh, just means he'll be sending a suitcase full of cash, a trunk full of whores and a bunch of empty promises about loyalty and family.

Ugh...I was kinda hoping Chip Kelly would leave, good ol' Bobby woulda been a great fit at Oregon.

It is due to an NCAA recruiting policy if I'm understanding the article correctly. Although why would it be different if any other Arky coach talks to him rather than Petrino?

duncan_idaho
01-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Best thing that could happen would be Arkansas trying to pay DGB. John Beckham would drop them faster than you can say "Show me the money."

talastan -

It's a violation because Petrino had contact with DGB already. They limit the amount of contact head coaches can have with each recruit. Basically, because Petrino "bumped" into DGB at another event, that counts as his official contact.

It's to keep coaches from taking too much advantage of the bump rule.

talastan
01-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Best thing that could happen would be Arkansas trying to pay DGB. John Beckham would drop them faster than you can say "Show me the money."

talastan -

It's a violation because Petrino had contact with DGB already. They limit the amount of contact head coaches can have with each recruit. Basically, because Petrino "bumped" into DGB at another event, that counts as his official contact.

It's to keep coaches from taking too much advantage of the bump rule.

So that applies to the individual coach and not the team staff as a whole?

DJ's left nut
01-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Really stupid DGB update:

Evidently couldn't get into Harpos last night because he got carded and they wouldn't let him in.

Left the Mizzou game today and just walked into Shiloh, my wife and some friends of mine are down there watching the game (fucking bar exam study...ugh).

Eh, whatever. We'll know when we know. I still think he's going to Arkansas.

Addendum: Hanging out with TJ Moe at Shiloh's. This is the most boring intel ever.

O.city
01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I think he's a Tiger. MAkes no sense to say he made the decision and still go on a visit to a school that he didn't choose.

Saul Good
01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Mizzou's 2012 football schedule

9/1 - HOME - Southeastern Louisiana Lions
9/8 - HOME - Georgia Bulldogs
9/15 - HOME - Arizona State Sun Devils
9/22 - AWAY - South Carolina Gamecocks
9/29 - AWAY - Central Florida Knights
10/6 - HOME - Vanderbilt Commodores
10/13 - HOME - Alabama Crimson Tide
10/20 BYE WEEK
10/27 - HOME - Kentucky Wildcats (Homecoming)
11/3 - AWAY - Florida Gators
11/10 - AWAY - Tennessee Volunteers
*11/17 - HOME - North Texas Mean Green *(UNCONFIRMED)
11/24 - AWAY - Texas A&M Aggies

Saul Good
01-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Really stupid DGB update:

Evidently couldn't get into Harpos last night because he got carded and they wouldn't let him in.

Left the Mizzou game today and just walked into Shiloh, my wife and some friends of mine are down there watching the game (fucking bar exam study...ugh).

Eh, whatever. We'll know when we know. I still think he's going to Arkansas.

Addendum: Hanging out with TJ Moe at Shiloh's. This is the most boring intel ever.

I think it's 60-40 Arkansas, but I don't think the carding thing is an issue. Hell, it might be a good thing. His parents are with him, and they seem to be pretty down-to-earth. I might be glad that bars aren't going to let my 19 year old son do whatever he wants just because he's a star athlete. /my positive spin

patteeu
01-28-2012, 03:32 PM
I think he's a Tiger. MAkes no sense to say he made the decision and still go on a visit to a school that he didn't choose.

Has he said he's made a decision about the school or did he just say that he made a decision about how to announce his decision on signing day? I saw a report of the latter, but not the former.

Spott
01-28-2012, 04:18 PM

9/29 - AWAY - Central Florida Knights10/6 - HOME - Vanderbilt Commodores
10/20 BYE WEEK
11/3 - AWAY - Florida Gators11/10 - AWAY - Tennessee Volunteers

Sweet, I"ll get to see the Tigers play twice next year. I'm an hour away from Gainesville and 2 from Orlando.

DJ's left nut
01-28-2012, 04:22 PM

9/29 - AWAY - Central Florida Knights
10/6 - HOME - Vanderbilt Commodores
10/20 BYE WEEK
11/3 - AWAY - Florida Gators
11/10 - AWAY - Tennessee Volunteers

They watered down the Non-Con a little bit. I would presume that to be the pattern going forward to preserve bowl eligibility in a tougher conference.

Let's face it - they could beat 4 FBS schools and if they made it through conference season unscathed, they'd be in the title game. The non-con schedule just doesn't matter that much anymore.

If we can't get a 'good' game that will get the fans interested (i.e. KU, Neb, Illinois, probably K-State), might as well just use some filler and try to stay healthy.

jjchieffan
01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
I found this little piece in the ESPN article covering the BB game win today. I thought I would pass it along here since it was about DGB.

Heralded national football recruit Dorial Green-Beckham got a huge ovation when he arrived courtside just before game time, escorted by Missouri assistant coach Andy Hill. Fans later chanted "MIZ-DGB!" and Green-Beckham, a wide receiver from Springfield, watched the game from behind the Missouri bench.
English pretended that he hadn't noticed, saying "What? What was going on? DGB?" but then added, "I hope he comes here."
The wooing continued when most of the football team was introduced during a break in the first half along with a recitation of the school's accomplishments under coach Gary Pinkel. Green-Beckham got a standing ovation on his way off the court, stopping to pose for a picture with Truman the Tiger, the school mascot.

ArrowheadMagic
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM
I found this little piece in the ESPN article covering the BB game win today. I thought I would pass it along here since it was about DGB.

Heralded national football recruit Dorial Green-Beckham got a huge ovation when he arrived courtside just before game time, escorted by Missouri assistant coach Andy Hill. Fans later chanted "MIZ-DGB!" and Green-Beckham, a wide receiver from Springfield, watched the game from behind the Missouri bench.
English pretended that he hadn't noticed, saying "What? What was going on? DGB?" but then added, "I hope he comes here."
The wooing continued when most of the football team was introduced during a break in the first half along with a recitation of the school's accomplishments under coach Gary Pinkel. Green-Beckham got a standing ovation on his way off the court, stopping to pose for a picture with Truman the Tiger, the school mascot.

What would those be?

ArrowheadMagic
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM
This is a football school correct?

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 12:00 AM
LOL... you're moving to a tougher conference while having done nothing in a weaker conference? 1. you are not a football school. 2. I would really like to know what accomplishments you guys told recruits, with your states biggest recruit ever in attendance. 3. Pretty sure you have to actually accomplish something, in order to call it an accomplishment.

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 12:04 AM
PS. will give you updates on Durron Neal. Thanks

Frazod
01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
LOL... you're moving to a tougher conference while having done nothing in a weaker conference? 1. you are not a football school. 2. I would really like to know what accomplishments you guys told recruits, with your states biggest recruit ever in attendance. 3. Pretty sure you have to actually accomplish something, in order to call it an accomplishment.

Well, bye. You're free to keep chugging your boyfriend Bevo's cock.

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Well, bye. You're free to keep chugging your boyfriend Bevo's cock.

Just because you choose another ballsack to chugg doesnt make you a better program.

Frazod
01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
And BTW, when was the last time anybody mentioned Oklahoma without adding the word "State" behind it?

KcMizzou
01-29-2012, 12:13 AM
And BTW, when was the last time anybody mentioned Oklahoma without adding the word "State" behind it?LMAO

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
And BTW, when was the last time anybody mentioned Oklahoma without adding the word "State" behind it?

At least they have won something. That would be an accomplishment.

kchero
01-29-2012, 12:37 AM

Shouldn't you be gone until next year you one sport wonder? As usual have fun not living up to expectations next year.

LiveSteam
01-29-2012, 12:40 AM

DAM! LMAO You have ice in those vain's

Frazod
01-29-2012, 02:30 AM
DAM! LMAO You have ice in those vain's

ArrowheadMagic has vinegar and water in his.

beer bacon
01-29-2012, 03:09 AM
Just because you choose another ballsack to chugg doesnt make you a better program.

OU, "We will not be wallflowers! PAC, here we come!"

UT, "STFU and sit down!"

OU, "Yes Sir."

Mosbonian
01-29-2012, 08:37 AM

UT, "STFU and sit down!"

OU, "Yes Sir."

LMAO :clap:

kchero
01-29-2012, 09:40 AM

UT, "STFU and sit down!"

OU, "Yes Daddy"

Fixed it. ROFL

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Shouldn't you be gone until next year you one sport wonder? As usual have fun not living up to expectations next year.

LOL. would that make Mizzou a no sport wonder? Maybe some year you will actually have expectations, outside 8 wins.

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 09:51 AM

UT, "STFU and sit down!"

OU, "Yes Sir."

It would be nice if you had actual facts in your attempt at humor.

Mosbonian
01-29-2012, 10:12 AM
LOL. would that make Mizzou a no sport wonder? Maybe some year you will actually have expectations, outside 8 wins.

We all recognize that MU hasn't won anything in the major sports. We get it.

But OU is in football what KU is in basketball......

Kick ass in league, win an occasional National Championship, and have several head-scratching losses in the limelight.

duncan_idaho
01-29-2012, 10:50 AM
There's a common fallacy among college fans, especially college football fans, in placing level expectations on the entire field.

There is no sport that is more affected by tradition, facilities and fan support than college football. That gives traditional heavyweights, schools with decades of dedication to the sport, a big advantage.

The fan expectations at Oklahoma for football are much higher than at Mizzou. They're the same type of expectations held by only a select few schools (Texas, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State). The tradition and financial support at these schools set the bar higher and make it easier/more likely to reach those levels.

The fan expectation at Mizzou is that it should be a top 25 program. Pinkel has created that. That is his achievement. Yes, what he has accomplished at Missouri would not be acceptable at an OU or Alabama, but he also has fewer advantages at those schools. The job he has done and the success he has had at Mizzou is similar to the job done by someone at one of those top 5 programs, who comes in and elevates it from top 25 status to top 5-10 status.

It would be different if the football program hadn't been neglected for 25-30 years (really starting with the loss of Devine and not ending until Alden took control).

All that said... Missouri support of football has been steadily ramping up. Expectations have gone with it.

So yeah, 7 straight bowl appearances and six straight 8+ win seasons would be looked at as a disappointment/no achievement at Ohio State or Florida or Alabama or Oklahoma. But at Missouri (or Arizona State, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc) that is significant.

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 11:20 AM
We all recognize that MU hasn't won anything in the major sports. We get it.

But OU is in football what KU is in basketball......

Kick ass in league, win an occasional National Championship, and have several head-scratching losses in the limelight.

Agree, combination of coaching/expectations and not handling adversity.

There's a common fallacy among college fans, especially college football fans, in placing level expectations on the entire field.

There is no sport that is more affected by tradition, facilities and fan support than college football. That gives traditional heavyweights, schools with decades of dedication to the sport, a big advantage.

The fan expectations at Oklahoma for football are much higher than at Mizzou. They're the same type of expectations held by only a select few schools (Texas, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State). The tradition and financial support at these schools set the bar higher and make it easier/more likely to reach those levels.

The fan expectation at Mizzou is that it should be a top 25 program. Pinkel has created that. That is his achievement. Yes, what he has accomplished at Missouri would not be acceptable at an OU or Alabama, but he also has fewer advantages at those schools. The job he has done and the success he has had at Mizzou is similar to the job done by someone at one of those top 5 programs, who comes in and elevates it from top 25 status to top 5-10 status.

It would be different if the football program hadn't been neglected for 25-30 years (really starting with the loss of Devine and not ending until Alden took control).

All that said... Missouri support of football has been steadily ramping up. Expectations have gone with it.

So yeah, 7 straight bowl appearances and six straight 8+ win seasons would be looked at as a disappointment/no achievement at Ohio State or Florida or Alabama or Oklahoma. But at Missouri (or Arizona State, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc) that is significant.

True. Just a bit of trolling on my part. While I dont know exactly how you fit in the SEC now, think it greatly helps you guys in the future. The facilities will follow and expectations will rise.

eazyb81
01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Wow, trolling at 10:00pm on a Saturday night.

Man ArrowheadMagic, looks like you have a cool and exciting life.

Saul Good
01-29-2012, 11:30 AM

In his defense, he had to get up early today...so he could troll some more.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Now, now guys I'm suuuure he Boomer Sooner'd some chick in between...

ArrowheadMagic
01-29-2012, 12:15 PM

In his defense, he had to get up early today...so he could troll some more.

Now, now guys I'm suuuure he Boomer Sooner'd some chick in between...

All good ones guys.

kchero
01-29-2012, 12:51 PM

I love my team it's fun to be relevant all year round and field a decent product. I suppose that is why you don't see me trolling on oklahoma boards.

Pitt Gorilla
01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
LOL. would that make Mizzou a no sport wonder? Maybe some year you will actually have expectations, outside 8 wins.What is your purpose in being in this thread? It's a Missouri Football thread. I suppose you've got to do what you've got to do to feel better about yourself, but it really seems odd.

Bowser
01-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Wickedson? Is that you?

siberian khatru
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
What is your purpose in being in this thread?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly7njpUpjt1ql9omu.jpg

Titty Meat
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Arrowhead Magic is a bandwagon douche.

Al Bundy
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Fixed it. ROFL

That's even better.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Not sure why I should believe anything from the Tulsa World, but they're reporting that DGB has decided to go to Mizzou.

I think they're just slinging shit. I see no reason why the DGB camp would suddenly start springing leaks after months of being silent.

I'll believe it when he signs the LOI...

kepp
01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Not sure why I should believe anything from the Tulsa World, but they're reporting that DGB has decided to go to Mizzou.

I think they're just slinging shit. I see no reason why the DGB camp would suddenly start springing leaks after months of being silent.

At this point I'd put the result from a magic 8 ball on the same level as any of these reports.

Saul Good
01-30-2012, 10:44 AM

I hope they turn out to be right, but I believe it will be just dumb luck if they are. I don't buy them having a legit source for this.

I just want people to shut up. I think there have been enough reported deals going down due to leaks.

60% Arkansas
30% Mizzou
10% other

ChiTown
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
http://eye-on-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34626598

Report: Dorial Green-Beckham will pick Missouri

Posted on: January 30, 2012 11:17 am
Edited on: January 30, 2012 11:27 am

The nation's No. 1 recruit, Dorial Green-Beckham, has the college football world scratching their heads wondering where the 6-foot-6, 225 pound wide receiver will sign on National Signing Day?

The standout from Springfield, Mo. has kept his decision-making process under wraps throughout his recruitment, only recently narrowing his list to Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. Which school will add Green-Beckham to their 2012 recruiting class has been a matter of intense debate among recruiting experts for weeks.

A report from Tulsa World reporter John Hoover on Monday morning suggested that Missouri has moved into the top spot and will be Green-Beckham's selection on Wednesday.

"Extremely good source just told me Dorial Green-Beckham to Missouri," Hoover reported from his Twitter account. "Influential visit last weekend. Things can change but I trust him."

The combination of Green-Beckham's potential and the uncertainty regarding his decision will likely lead to plenty of "sourced" reports over the next two days, but one certainly is worth some attention. To catch up on Green-Beckaham's recruitment and learn more about the school's hoping to receive his commitment, check out Stephen Spiewak's profile from Monday at MaxPreps.com.

Great Expectations
01-30-2012, 10:51 AM

Might be that the Beckams told Stoops that OU wasn't going to be the choice, that they were going to MU.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Might be that the Beckams told Stoops that OU wasn't going to be the choice, that they were going to MU.

I don't think the Beckhams would've said where he was going, though.

I think it would have just been a simple "Dorial has decided that he won't be attending OU..."

The folks in Oklahoma are pretty notorious for just pulling shit from the air. Look at the crap that Al Eschbach was throwing out there during conference realignment, or Barry Trammel...well daily, really.

OK sports 'reporters' are the worst, especially when it comes to college football related stuff. They're all in such a mad rush to be first in line that they'll simply pull things from their ass in the hopes that they run into a correct answer. They also know that the average Boomer isn't smart enough to hold them accountable for their idiocy when they're wrong, so they just keep on doin' it.

There's just nothing I'd trust from an Oklahoma sports personality. They're pretty much useless.

Great Expectations
01-30-2012, 11:05 AM
But you probably really trust the Dearmonds huh?

eazyb81
01-30-2012, 11:06 AM

What the hell are you babbling about? The Dearmonds have not made a prediction.

Saul Good
01-30-2012, 11:10 AM

I do, but they don't really break many stories. They generally wait until it's solid. By then, it's been broken elsewhere.

They missed on Painter, but Mizzou officials thought it was done. Congratulatory emails within the department had literally been sent.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Not so much with Mike. He's too erratic to take seriously.

Gabe, OTOH, is extremely reliable. He rarely makes a prediction until he knows the outcome.

A lot of folks call that chickenshit, but it's actually called sound journalism.

Gabe's usually straightforward - either he knows it or he doesn't. If he doesn't know it, he'll let you know.

But by all means, keep talking out your ass.

Jerm
01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
If Pinkel can land DGB...I'll never say a bad word about him again lol.

Needless to say it'd be a HUGE statement heading into the SEC.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
If Pinkel can land DGB...I'll never say a bad word about him again lol.

Needless to say it'd be a HUGE statement heading into the SEC.

That would have to be extended to David Yost, too.

Yost Recruiting targets this season:

Dorial Green-Beckham
Maty Mauk

talastan
01-30-2012, 11:53 AM
The CBS Sports recruiting blog is saying the DGB's adopted father, Coach Beckham, is denying the Tulse Report.

http://eye-on-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34626598

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Like I said - OK sports personalities are full of shit.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Like I said - OK sports personalities are full of shit.

Typically. But Norvell apparently thinks Oklahoma is completely out of it and Mizzou is the choice. (I was told this morning that's exactly what Norvell is saying).

If the OU writer is getting his info directly from Norvell (or from SoonerScoop, which got it directly from Norvell), he might be right by accident.

Arkansas fans seem to think this is a Missouri leak (through the "j-shool network," which is hilarious). But the buzz this morning originates from the OU camp.

It's kind of the reverse of the Mike Anderson situation. Where everyone but Mizzou thought he was Arkansas-bound...

Jerm
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Of course he's going to deny it because DGB hasn't officially committed yet...there's still plenty of smoke though.

Let it be a Dobbs story though...dude just loves to shit on Mizzou any chance he gets even though he's an alum.

Jerm
01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
That would have to be extended to David Yost, too.

Yost Recruiting targets this season:

Dorial Green-Beckham
Maty Mauk

Agreed.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Of course he's going to deny it because DGB hasn't officially committed yet...there's still plenty of smoke though.

Let it be a Dobbs story though...dude just loves to shit on Mizzou any chance he gets even though he's an alum.

No, Dodd is part of the evil Mizzou network working in their favor in all things. Just ask Razorback fans. ROFL

And on your first graph... this could go either way. Either DGB has not made a decision... or DGB has not informed all the coaches yet, and John wants it to be done "The right way."

Either makes sense.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Agreed.

I should also note those are the only two guys Yost recruited in this cycle. He's become the new "big gun," it seems.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
I should also note those are the only two guys Yost recruited in this cycle. He's become the new "big gun," it seems.

Okay, so send him to the "Dave Christensen School for Downfield Passing" and we'll have a hell of an asset on our hands...

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Okay, so send him to the "Dave Christensen School for Downfield Passing" and we'll have a hell of an asset on our hands...

I'd say, based on this season and what they did with Franklin, that Yost gets a bad rap in regards to downfield passing based on who his QB was his first two seasons.

In 2009, with Alexander, they had some success throwing downfield (though not as much as possible).

In 2010, without a legit deep threat, they didn't.

In 2011 with Lucas and Washington emerging somewhat, they threw the ball more effectively downfield.

Personnel matters a lot. Getting Wes Kemp out of the starting lineup will help a ton (as will getting Lucas, Washington and possibly DGB in on every play). But I also think Franklin is a more confident/better deep passer than Blaine Gabbert was.

There's a deep route in MOST of Missouri's offensive playcalls (at least one). Exceptions are third-and-short downs where they run all slants/outs/digs/etc. It's a matter of the QB making that read and the WR actually being open.

Amazing how much more effective the skinny post was this year when LD Washington ran it versus when it was run by Brandon Gerau or Wes Kemp...

eazyb81
01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.handmark.com/downloads/160284/b1/4033213215491627442127086167633990121787354080n.jpg

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I'd say, based on this season and what they did with Franklin, that Yost gets a bad rap in regards to downfield passing based on who his QB was his first two seasons.

In 2009, with Alexander, they had some success throwing downfield (though not as much as possible).

In 2010, without a legit deep threat, they didn't.

In 2011 with Lucas and Washington emerging somewhat, they threw the ball more effectively downfield.

Personnel matters a lot. Getting Wes Kemp out of the starting lineup will help a ton (as will getting Lucas, Washington and possibly DGB in on every play). But I also think Franklin is a more confident/better deep passer than Blaine Gabbert was.

There's a deep route in MOST of Missouri's offensive playcalls (at least one). Exceptions are third-and-short downs where they run all slants/outs/digs/etc. It's a matter of the QB making that read and the WR actually being open.

Amazing how much more effective the skinny post was this year when LD Washington ran it versus when it was run by Brandon Gerau or Wes Kemp...

Even with Danarrio, they didn't throw deep much. In fact, DA's season was the first season I really recall us relying so heavily on those damn bubble screens and the dig routes.

It's possible it's just been a personnel issue - we'll know soon enough. It just seems to me that Yost got way too predictable his first 2 seasons here. It does appear that he's learned on the job, though; the O looked better this season. Though ultimately It's not really the bombs that I'm looking for, butmore of those 15-20 yd, 'long intermediate' routes that I feel have been noticeably absent from the playbook.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 12:41 PM
I know what you mean. Those passes are in the playbook. There's a skinny post/fly on a good number of the passing plays. Lot of seam routes from the slots, too.

Problem is getting them open and delivering the ball more consistently. The fact that LD Washington was seemingly WIDE OPEN every single time he ran a skinny post speaks well to the design of the plays and his ability to effectively run them.

Running QB helps a lot with this in the spread, IMO. Defense has to respect the zone read completely, and it creates matchup advantage for wideouts. Takes teams away from the drop 7-8 approach they used in 2008, 2009 and 2010...

DeezNutz
01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
OK, I would be lying if I were to claim that I know much about HS football prospects. With that said, how good is DGB? Comps? Anyone here actually seen him play in person?

eazyb81
01-30-2012, 01:04 PM
OK, I would be lying if I were to claim that I know much about HS football prospects. With that said, how good is DGB? Comps? Anyone here actually seen him play in person?

A rich man's Randy Moss?

DeezNutz
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
That would probably be decent.

Straight cash, homie.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 01:07 PM

How good? Physically, he's in the Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson range. Huge (6'6", 225), strong, excellent leaping ability, strong hands.

What really sets him apart, though, is that he runs like a 6'1/190 speed receiver. Tremendous sprinter (state 100m champ 2x running, about to become 3x). Agility is also much more indicative of a guy who's 6'1/190.

Jerm
01-30-2012, 01:11 PM

I see him as a Calvin Johnson esque type player...amazing hands as well, can go up and get the ball. Huge guy but has deceptive quickness.

Make no mistake, he'll be big time in college...he and Mauk could be a devastating combo.

eazyb81
01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
How good? Physically, he's in the Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson range. Huge (6'6", 225), strong, excellent leaping ability, strong hands.

What really sets him apart, though, is that he runs like a 6'1/190 speed receiver. Tremendous sprinter (state 100m champ 2x running, about to become 3x). Agility is also much more indicative of a guy who's 6'1/190.

All this, and reportedly he is about the nicest guy you will ever meet. Takes his grades seriously. He will never embarrass the program off the field.

talastan
01-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Graduated from Hillcrest in 19.....nevermind ;) Anyway I went to two or three of his games his Junior and Senior years. The kid is a physical beast. He has the height to go up for the jump ball even while in double or triple coverage. His speed really dominates as he ran sprints in State Track competition. He leaves DBs in dust on the deep routes. The combination of his speed and size I'd have to compare him to Megatron.

DeezNutz
01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks, guys. Sounds like he would be a phenomenal "get." Plus, we'd get to see him bring even more notoriety to the program when he's drafted in three years.

Saul Good
01-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I see him as a Calvin Johnson esque type player...amazing hands as well, can go up and get the ball. Huge guy but has deceptive quickness.

Make no mistake, he'll be big time in college...he and Mauk could be a devastating combo.

He would only play with Mauk for one season. Franklin will start. For the next 2 years. After a slow start, Franklin was a top 20 QB in the country as a Sophomore. He will likely be top 10 this year.

Titty Meat
01-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Congrats to MU on getting a 5* star NFL player. Good to see both of our teams beasting the last week of recruiting.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure how many guys could be called legitimate 'program changers', but if ever a WR had that chance, DGB would.

But take a look at Pitt, look at GT - both schools have strong programs, but not premier programs. Mizzou is probably at about their same level most years and as a going concern.

Neither Fitzgerald or Megatron really changed their programs long-term. About the only guy that really seemed to change the program recently was probably Dez Bryant, but it's hard to know if that was him or if that was the influence of Gundy.

I still think he's going to Arky, to be honest. But if he comes here, I'm hoping we enjoy the hell out of his 3 seasons in Columbia because history suggests that the carryover effect won't be as great as we'd hope.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Congrats to MU on getting a 5* star NFL player. Good to see both of our teams beasting the last week of recruiting.

What has Nebraska done this week? Know you all are taking a tiny class this year. How's it looking? Late switches/decisions expected?

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure how many guys could be called legitimate 'program changers', but if ever a WR had that chance, DGB would.

But take a look at Pitt, look at GT - both schools have strong programs, but not premier programs. Mizzou is probably at about their same level most years and as a going concern.

Neither Fitzgerald or Megatron really changed their programs long-term. About the only guy that really seemed to change the program recently was probably Dez Bryant, but it's hard to know if that was him or if that was the influence of Gundy.

I still think he's going to Arky, to be honest. But if he comes here, I'm hoping we enjoy the hell out of his 3 seasons in Columbia because history suggests that the carryover effect won't be as great as we'd hope.

I don't think Pitt or GT either had the team around Megatron or Fitz that Mizzou will have around DGB. Not on offense, and not on defense.

Better QB play. Better system. Better WRs around him.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't think Pitt or GT either had the team around Megatron or Fitz that Mizzou will have around DGB. Not on offense, and not on defense.

Better QB play. Better system. Better WRs around him.

Sure. I think Mizzou will get better performance out of DGB than GT or Pitt got from their stud.

But unless it yields an SEC championship - does it really change their standing long-term? I think that's what it would take; not just a divisional championship.

I just think some folks may be overstating what the impact will be 5 years from now. I think you can say that Chase Daniel 'elevated' the program a level. And it will be interesting to watch Baylor to see if RGIII turned a similar trick in Waco.

But given the level that Mizzou is at, would a WR, no matter how good, truly vault us up a tier with the more respected non-traditional powers in terms of recruiting and national recognition?

Then again, its possible I'm just overstating the hype. It just seems to me that some folks think DGB will come in here and suddenly we'll be able to start turning down 4-star guys like the Floridas of the world.

Titty Meat
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
What has Nebraska done this week? Know you all are taking a tiny class this year. How's it looking? Late switches/decisions expected?

Like you guys it looks like Nebraska will pickup a 5* star player Andrus Peat who's brother is a freshmen on the team and his cousin just committed to Nebraska a few weeks ago. It also looks like we stole a 4* CB from Oregon State, a 4* star ATH from Louisana, and it's between Nebraska/Iowa for Aaron Curry a 3* star D-tackle who I think Mizzou offered too, and to help Mizzou out we got a 3* RB who de-committed from Tennessee :) So they'll have 6 or 7 4* and 1 5 star. Not bad for a small class. Of course it'd be nice to have the next Calvin Johnson that's going to be fun for you guys.

Saul Good
01-30-2012, 02:34 PM
My hope is that DGB signing with Mizzou would be a symbol to other local kids that Mizzou is a legit destination for superstars. The state cranks out plenty of talent to build a core. I want it to be a given that Mizzou gets first pick of the in-state talent.

eazyb81
01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Then again, its possible I'm just overstating the hype. It just seems to me that some folks think DGB will come in here and suddenly we'll be able to start turning down 4-star guys like the Floridas of the world.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I think what people are saying is that when a program is able to land a #1 overall recruit, players take notice. It is hard to provide specifics, but I definitely think it could help get us in the door with more recruits over the next couple years, especially if DGB performs well.

Programs that land the #1 overall recruits are places like Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. Not Mizzou. I don't think kids are going to say they only met with Mizzou because of DGB, but I definitely think it will convince a few kids to at least see what we have going on here that wouldn't give us the time otherwise.

These are 17-18 year old kids - perception is everything.

DeezNutz
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
He's going to need to blow up at Mizzou or the signing will ultimately mean nothing. Apparently, this kid's talent is limitless, so a lot of pressure will fall to the staff (assuming this comes to fruition) to utilize it.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that. I think what people are saying is that when a program is able to land a #1 overall recruit, players take notice. It is hard to provide specifics, but I definitely think it could help get us in the door with more recruits over the next couple years, especially if DGB performs well.

Programs that land the #1 overall recruits are places like Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. Not Mizzou. I don't think kids are going to say they only met with Mizzou because of DGB, but I definitely think it will convince a few kids to at least see what we have going on here that wouldn't give us the time otherwise.

These are 17-18 year old kids - perception is everything.

^^^^^ This.

This is more about perception than anything else. If DGB chooses Mizzou over Arkansas, why wouldn't guys like Nick Ramirez (2013 LB, Lee's Summit West) or Eric Biesel (2013 LB, MICDS?) choose them?

It helps recruit the kids in your own state, which is going to be critical for Mizzou. It helps build up Mizzou's fan base in Springfield, which is critical moving forward.

And for next season's class? Mizzou is now:

1) In the SEC (which can be a big plus with some kids vs. B1G schools and Kansas/Kansas State/Texas schools)
2) Building significant momentum and hype from landing one of the more visible No. 1 overall prospects in recent memory.

Have to seize the momentum and build from it.

I have a feeling NSD is going to be HUGE for Mizzou... like maybe there are a few huge surprises/commits looming beyond just DGB.

DJ's left nut
01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
^^^^^ This.

This is more about perception than anything else. If DGB chooses Mizzou over Arkansas, why wouldn't guys like Nick Ramirez (2013 LB, Lee's Summit West) or Eric Biesel (2013 LB, MICDS?) choose them?

It helps recruit the kids in your own state, which is going to be critical for Mizzou. It helps build up Mizzou's fan base in Springfield, which is critical moving forward.

And for next season's class? Mizzou is now:

1) In the SEC (which can be a big plus with some kids vs. B1G schools and Kansas/Kansas State/Texas schools)
2) Building significant momentum and hype from landing one of the more visible No. 1 overall prospects in recent memory.

Have to seize the momentum and build from it.

I have a feeling NSD is going to be HUGE for Mizzou... like maybe there are a few huge surprises/commits looming beyond just DGB.

Fair 'nuff.

Rumors have Goines back on the fence from being gung-ho over UCLA. Some folks are awfully excited about the kid we got from 'Cuse but he looks like he's a LOOOONG ways away from being able to play DT at the D-1 level.

I like that CB we got from Arkansas, though I wish he were a little taller since our coaches evidently don't teach kids to turn and look for the ball. I sure would like to have seen more talent come in on the defensive line this class, but as ever, someone will sneak up on us.

The 2013 signing day will be a whole different ballgame.

Saul Good
01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
He's going to need to blow up at Mizzou or the signing will ultimately mean nothing. Apparently, this kid's talent is limitless, so a lot of pressure will fall to the staff (assuming this comes to fruition) to utilize it.

Barring injury, he is going to be a star wherever he goes. Gabe DeArmond did a breakdown of past #1 prospects, and the worst in over a decade wound up being a 3rd round draft pick. Others were Matt Barkley, Percy Harvin, and Adrian Peterson. Every one was a household name in college.

duncan_idaho
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Fair 'nuff.

Rumors have Goines back on the fence from being gung-ho over UCLA. Some folks are awfully excited about the kid we got from 'Cuse but he looks like he's a LOOOONG ways away from being able to play DT at the D-1 level.

I like that CB we got from Arkansas, though I wish he were a little taller since our coaches evidently don't teach kids to turn and look for the ball. I sure would like to have seen more talent come in on the defensive line this class, but as ever, someone will sneak up on us.

The 2013 signing day will be a whole different ballgame.

Goines is gone. Weird situation.

Don't forget about Michael Onuoha. Didn't commit to Oklahoma over the weekend, so I think Mizzou has a decent shot to get him come NSD.

DGB
Onuoha
Meador

Probably the three biggest names still out there.

|Zach|
01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
When you guys typed Goines I read it as Gaines.

"WTF HAPPENED TO GAINES!" lol

Trevo_410
01-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Gaines WILL be a shutdown corner by the time he's done here at Mizzou.

Jerm
01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Big rumor tonight making the rounds that DGB is trying to sell Durron Neal on Mizzou and to get him to stay in state and play together...no idea if true or not, would be awesome..

Saul Good
01-31-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm betting on DGB to Arkansas. I was feeling good about our chances earlier today, but I'm starting to feel the Matt Painter/B1G train rumbling down the track. Of course, both of those seem to have turned out okay in the end, so maybe we will lose out on DGB and still turn out okay.

Al Bundy
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
SoonerScoop SoonerScoop.com
It was also apparent talking to Durron Neal tonight that DGB is one of the guys selling Missouri the hardest.
18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

O.city
01-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Take a deep breath Tiger fans.

As a fan of both Tiger football and Razorback Football, well sorta Hog fan, I think he's a Tiger.

From what I've heard from my sources, its Mizzou.

ArrowheadMagic
01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Goines is gone. Weird situation.

Don't forget about Michael Onuoha. Didn't commit to Oklahoma over the weekend, so I think Mizzou has a decent shot to get him come NSD.

DGB
Onuoha
Meador

Probably the three biggest names still out there.

Onuoha , just committed to OU. About 20 mins ago. ON twitter. Neal seems like a firm OU committ.

|Zach|
01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
A lot of people have come off as lifeless lunatics in this whole recruiting thing.

Jerm
01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
A lot of people have come off as lifeless lunatics in this whole recruiting thing.

Hogville.net lol...

|Zach|
01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Hogville.net lol...

A ton of people...the media for over doing it...fans following every little step. Going on and on about things to the kid on Twitter?

JFC get some fresh air. I kind of find the whole process disgusting.

DJ's left nut
01-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Is it 9:15 yet?

I'm excited about the possibility of DGB, but I'm also just ready to lock this class down. We've had way more movement in and out of the class than I'm comfortable with. I'm still pissed about losing Hopkins and losing Goines doesn't help a bit either. Suddenly we desperately need some of the redshirt lineman from last year to really step up and fulfill their promise. We don't have a lot of margin for error anymore. The offensive tackles are really going to be hurting soon if those kids don't pan out.

Seems like this is going to be a "DGB or Bust" class, well DGB, Boehm and Mauk anyway. If DGB doesn't come onboard, we managed to not really address the issues on either line, in the secondary or in the WR corps. We got a couple of nice LBs and potentially a nice RB.

If we get DGB, I'd imagine we'll slip into the top 30 by virtue of him alone. If we don't, it's lucky to be a top 50 class unless we get some of those suprises that Duncan and some other Mizzou faithful are just sure are going to come.

Honestly, I only hear our name in the mix with Meador. All the other surprise candidates seem like firm commits somewhere (and I still think Meador's going to Whiskey).

Whatever - stop the bleeding, get this class locked down and be happy that it's probably going to be the worst class we have for the next decade (sans DGB), as things will only get better for us as we build up that SEC pipeline.

|Zach|
02-01-2012, 12:04 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/922127/superjames.gif

KcMizzou
02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I loved that from Franklin. He's always so low key... polite... under the radar. I got a kick out of it.

duncan_idaho
02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Is it 9:15 yet?

I'm excited about the possibility of DGB, but I'm also just ready to lock this class down. We've had way more movement in and out of the class than I'm comfortable with. I'm still pissed about losing Hopkins and losing Goines doesn't help a bit either. Suddenly we desperately need some of the redshirt lineman from last year to really step up and fulfill their promise. We don't have a lot of margin for error anymore. The offensive tackles are really going to be hurting soon if those kids don't pan out.

Seems like this is going to be a "DGB or Bust" class, well DGB, Boehm and Mauk anyway. If DGB doesn't come onboard, we managed to not really address the issues on either line, in the secondary or in the WR corps. We got a couple of nice LBs and potentially a nice RB.

If we get DGB, I'd imagine we'll slip into the top 30 by virtue of him alone. If we don't, it's lucky to be a top 50 class unless we get some of those suprises that Duncan and some other Mizzou faithful are just sure are going to come.

Honestly, I only hear our name in the mix with Meador. All the other surprise candidates seem like firm commits somewhere (and I still think Meador's going to Whiskey).

Whatever - stop the bleeding, get this class locked down and be happy that it's probably going to be the worst class we have for the next decade (sans DGB), as things will only get better for us as we build up that SEC pipeline.

No doubt. 9:15 yet? Unfortunately, I'll be in an airplane during the announcement. Unless they've got wi-fi on the plane, I'll find out for sure during our layover in Dallas.

Apparently, the staff expected this class to be a little weird due to the transition, but I think it's pretty strong, still.

I can talk about what I was alluding to earlier... I got an early leak from my best source about the late efforts with Durron Neal. Heard some interesting stuff, including the stuff about DGB getting in his ear HARD for Mizzou. Was told it had to be kept completely out of the loop, so OU didn't get wind of it. Obviously, that didn't happen. Would have been a huge, huge steal this late, and as of this time last night, it looked pretty good.

Right now, I say you're looking at:

DGB
Meador (tough battle with Wisconsin, Rivals midwestern guy seems to think Mizzou is still the leader)
Damian Lawry (DB currently committed to ISU, might flip. Not sure if he's still in the mix following the commit of the DB from a few days ago)

And that's probably it. Unless something comes completely out of nowhere, or unless Neal has been playing coy this whole day.

As for the rest of the class...

Obviously DGB is a superstar in the making. Land him, and the class starts out in great shape.

I think Boehm is nearly as good a prospect. He will be a great guard, and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see him push for immediate playing time at a guard spot.

I'm next-most excited about Markus Golden, the juco LB/DE. He's a great athlete and I could see him being a monster DE after a year in the program.

Think Morgan Steward (RB) gets overlooked a lot because he's been committed so long. Nice all-around skills, strong, explosive, good one-cut runner (saw Denny Heitert comparing him to Laurence Maroney, which says a lot coming from him. Heitert LOVES Maroney).

Mauk is a perfect fit at QB and will be highly productive in this system.

I also really like the Stewart kid from O'Fallon, IL. Very good speed and looks like a guy who should grow into a stud S.

Culkin is an intriguing guy who picked up a lot of late attention from in-state options. Glad they were able to hang onto him. Looks like he fits the MO TE mold perfectly.

Rest of the class doesn't have anyone I think you can really project as a potential star, though I think there are plenty of solid contributors in there.

I like that they're not necessarily reaching for anyone. Would rather see them bank the scholarships (and work to find some early-enrollee potential guys for 2013).

Catch you guys in about a week. I'm Mexico-bound.

hasta, Mizzou homies.

KcMizzou
02-01-2012, 12:26 AM
No doubt. 9:15 yet? Unfortunately, I'll be in an airplane during the announcement. Unless they've got wi-fi on the plane, I'll find out for sure during our layover in Dallas.

Apparently, the staff expected this class to be a little weird due to the transition, but I think it's pretty strong, still.

I can talk about what I was alluding to earlier... I got an early leak from my best source about the late efforts with Durron Neal. Heard some interesting stuff, including the stuff about DGB getting in his ear HARD for Mizzou. Was told it had to be kept completely out of the loop, so OU didn't get wind of it. Obviously, that didn't happen. Would have been a huge, huge steal this late, and as of this time last night, it looked pretty good.

Right now, I say you're looking at:

DGB
Meador (tough battle with Wisconsin, Rivals midwestern guy seems to think Mizzou is still the leader)
Damian Lawry (DB currently committed to ISU, might flip. Not sure if he's still in the mix following the commit of the DB from a few days ago)

And that's probably it. Unless something comes completely out of nowhere, or unless Neal has been playing coy this whole day.

As for the rest of the class...

Obviously DGB is a superstar in the making. Land him, and the class starts out in great shape.

I think Boehm is nearly as good a prospect. He will be a great guard, and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see him push for immediate playing time at a guard spot.

I'm next-most excited about Markus Golden, the juco LB/DE. He's a great athlete and I could see him being a monster DE after a year in the program.

Think Morgan Steward (RB) gets overlooked a lot because he's been committed so long. Nice all-around skills, strong, explosive, good one-cut runner (saw Denny Heitert comparing him to Laurence Maroney, which says a lot coming from him. Heitert LOVES Maroney).

Mauk is a perfect fit at QB and will be highly productive in this system.

I also really like the Stewart kid from O'Fallon, IL. Very good speed and looks like a guy who should grow into a stud S.

Culkin is an intriguing guy who picked up a lot of late attention from in-state options. Glad they were able to hang onto him. Looks like he fits the MO TE mold perfectly.

Rest of the class doesn't have anyone I think you can really project as a potential star, though I think there are plenty of solid contributors in there.

I like that they're not necessarily reaching for anyone. Would rather see them bank the scholarships (and work to find some early-enrollee potential guys for 2013).

Catch you guys in about a week. I'm Mexico-bound.

hasta, Mizzou homies.Good info, thanks. Have a great vacation. (duncan_idaho is money. Dude knows his Mizzou shit.)

KcMizzou
02-01-2012, 12:27 AM
ChaseDaniel Chase Daniel
National Signing Day tomorrow! Seems like so long ago when I picked #Mizzou... Best decision I've made...Here's hoping #DGB makes the same!

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Good info, thanks. Have a great vacation. (duncan_idaho is money. Dude knows his Mizzou shit.)

Yeah - the rest of you can bite me.

But when Duncan speaks, I listen. He's pretty tuned in w/ them and does a great job of staying level-headed about it.

I wonder how close we really came on Neal. I also can't help but wonder why we didn't make a harder push on him earlier. It just seems like we decided not to try to make the push for DGB that much easier. As it turns out, getting Neal could have helped with the DGB recruitment.

Steward was the 1 rb I was referring to.

Ultimately if we get DGB and Meador, you have to consider the class a success. Afterall, you probably end up with a 3-yr starter and potential superstar at WR, as well as a 3-yr starter at QB. I'd say that's a nice little combo, even if the rest of the class is sub-standard.

I like that Gibson kid they got yesterday. He sounds like he may be cut from the EJ Gaines mold; little undersized but fairly athletic and hardnosed. I really like the Culkin pickup - seems like a great fit.

We got that early LB recruit that, Newsom, that I think slides under the radar a bit because he locked in early and never wavered. I remember thinking some coaching could have him playing a similar game to Xavier Gooden, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part. He sure seems like a hell of an athletic linebacker, though.

And apart from Gibson, it does look like we targeted size in our secondary, which is probably a good idea since we seem to struggle so much with playing the ball. Then again, I'm not sure a single defensive back we picked up in this class is actually capable of playing corner. Hell, maybe they're looking at the SEC and have decided to go with physical corners (hybrid safety types) and play more of a cover-2.

Like I said, it just seems like they left a lot of areas unaddressed, especially on the heels of the 2011 class, which appears to be one of the worst they've had in the last 5-6 years.

Al Bundy
02-01-2012, 06:46 AM
I did see Steward play live twice this past season, and man is he good in person.

|Zach|
02-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Not bad Missouri. Not bad at all.

mnchiefsguy
02-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Another great day for Tiger football!!!

KcMizzou
"Yeah, I would like Coach Yost to cut his hair." - DGB

Saul Good
Fuck yeah

duncan_idaho
02-01-2012, 09:26 AM
In the air. Wireless on the flight. MIZ-DGB

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Lost in the DBG news - we dropped another D-lineman this morning. Edmund Ray, who appeared to be as solid as anyone we have, up and signs with the Aggies this morning.

Like I said, I'm just happy to get this class locked down and move forward before we ended up losing Mauk or Boehm (again).

Good day, kiddos. Very good day.

mnchiefsguy
02-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Mizzou now has the #21 recruiting class for the year, according to ESPNU. Not bad at all, considering what a crazy year it has been.

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Mizzou now has the #21 recruiting class for the year, according to ESPNU. Not bad at all, considering what a crazy year it has been.

I guess if you can get a top 20ish class while banking some scholarships (looks like we'll only use about 18), that's a decent year.

Has Meador announced yet? Lawry would be another nice pickup that could help push us to 20.

eazyb81
02-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Meador to Wisconsin and Lawry to ISU.

Thank God for DGB, he saved this class from being a total washout.

Let's hope that the hype of DGB and the move to the SEC will be a huge boon for next year's class.

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 09:41 AM
No kidding - without DBG, this class kinda blows.

I refuse to be a spoiled 'Bama fan - DGB makes the day. That said, the day was otherwise a bit of a bust.

They need to step up their game a fair amount next season. Here's hoping that DGB helps lock-down some of that talent that bailed on us this year.

Saul Good
02-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Given that we started out pitching kids on playing in the Bbig XII, Texas, etc., this is a great class. What's more is that our two biggest recruits are home-grown talent.

In the future, we'll go after kids who want to play in the SEC. It's no surprise that, after signing kids who wanted to play Texas, we lost a few when we left the conference.

Pitt Gorilla
02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Given that we started out pitching kids on playing in the Bbig XII, Texas, etc., this is a great class. What's more is that our two biggest recruits are home-grown talent.

In the future, we'll go after kids who want to play in the SEC. It's no surprise that, after signing kids who wanted to play Texas, we lost a few when we left the conference.Losing Meador and Ray sucks. Period. But, DGB makes things much better.

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Losing Meador and Ray sucks. Period. But, DGB makes things much better.

Clear your PM box, I tried to send you a Sandbox trade but it wouldn't go through.

Saul Good
02-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Jumbo drinks for everyone!

beer bacon
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Lost in the DBG news - we dropped another D-lineman this morning. Edmund Ray, who appeared to be as solid as anyone we have, up and signs with the Aggies this morning.

Like I said, I'm just happy to get this class locked down and move forward before we ended up losing Mauk or Boehm (again).

Good day, kiddos. Very good day.

Right after he committed, Pete, the football recruiting guy at PM, said he wasn't expected to qualify. Very odd end to Ray's recruitment.

KcMizzou
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
mutigersdotcom Mizzou Athletics
As @Mizzou reminds, this signing class contains the national HS career record-holders in passing (Mauk) and receiving (DGB) yardage. #Mizzou

Not a bad combo.

Pitt Gorilla
02-01-2012, 10:59 AM
mutigersdotcom Mizzou Athletics
As @Mizzou reminds, this signing class contains the national HS career record-holders in passing (Mauk) and receiving (DGB) yardage. #Mizzou

Not a bad combo.Having one of the top OLs in the country (Boehm) doesn't hurt either.

Great Expectations
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't think the Beckhams would've said where he was going, though.

I think it would have just been a simple "Dorial has decided that he won't be attending OU..."

The folks in Oklahoma are pretty notorious for just pulling shit from the air. Look at the crap that Al Eschbach was throwing out there during conference realignment, or Barry Trammel...well daily, really.

OK sports 'reporters' are the worst, especially when it comes to college football related stuff. They're all in such a mad rush to be first in line that they'll simply pull things from their ass in the hopes that they run into a correct answer. They also know that the average Boomer isn't smart enough to hold them accountable for their idiocy when they're wrong, so they just keep on doin' it.

There's just nothing I'd trust from an Oklahoma sports personality. They're pretty much useless.

I don't know why anyone would trust those OU guys, wait for
GabeD to break it.

Saul Good
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Mizzou also has Darius White as a transfer from Texas. He can't play until 2013, but that's a huge addition that doesn't count towards our class ranking.

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't know why anyone would trust those OU guys, wait for
GabeD to break it.

Just like all the folks that had 'sources' that had him as a lock to Arkansas.

Like I said - that's what they do down there. They throw shit at the wall and when it sticks, fantastic.

If he went to Arkansas, no harm done. The Boomers down there haven't held their sports journalists accountable for their garbage for a long time, so why start now?

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Mizzou also has Darius White as a transfer from Texas. He can't play until 2013, but that's a huge addition that doesn't count towards our class ranking.

Lot of talent, but he's underachieved a little.

The problem isn't so much the overall ranking, but some pretty massive gaps we have in the program due to the last 2 classes. We got damn lucky that EJ Gaines took a huge step forward this year, so that gives us at least 1 more year to get a nice CB in here to replace him in 2014. And Vincent looked like a nice guy to have, but WTF are we going to do in 2013 after Richardson leaves? Vincent can't replace him.

Oh, and I still don't know if this team has a true left tackle in the wings.

Pitt Gorilla
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Man, Arky fans really are pathetic.

Saul Good
02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Lot of talent, but he's underachieved a little.

The problem isn't so much the overall ranking, but some pretty massive gaps we have in the program due to the last 2 classes. We got damn lucky that EJ Gaines took a huge step forward this year, so that gives us at least 1 more year to get a nice CB in here to replace him in 2014. And Vincent looked like a nice guy to have, but WTF are we going to do in 2013 after Richardson leaves? Vincent can't replace him.

Oh, and I still don't know if this team has a true left tackle in the wings.

I'd like to think that Elvis will be back at LT, but that seems unlikely. Either way, it's not like UNC tore through our line, and Coples is a first rounder. I think we'll be okay.

Frazod
02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Man, Arky fans really are pathetic.

I remember all the trash they were talking on the ESPN boards leading up to the 2007 Cotton Bowl. Nothing resembling coherent though, just lots of YALL GONNA GIT KILT and SOOOOOOEEEEEEEE.

Of course, it got real quiet after the game. %(/

BourbonMan
02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Here is Missouri's complete recruiting class:
1. Dorial Green-Beckham, 6-6, 220-pound wide receiver out of Springfield (Mo.) Hillcrest.
2. Evan Boehm, 6-3, 290-pound offensive lineman from Lee's Summit West.
3. Morgan Steward, 5-11, 182-pound running back from Staley High School in Kansas City.
4. Sean Culkin, 6-5, 226-pound tight end out of Largo, Fl.
5. Maty Mauk, 6-2, 185-pound quarterback out of Kenton, Oh.
6. Donavin Newsom, 6-2, 220-pound linebacker out of St. Louis.
7. Evan Winston, 6-4, 240-pound defensive lineman out of Muskegon Heights, Mi.
8. Torey Boozer, 6-3, 210-pound defensive back out of Everman, Tx.
9. Harold Brantley, 6-2, 260-pound defensive lineman out of Hershey, Pa.
10. Levi Copelin, 6-4, 178-pound defensive back/wide receiver out of Detroit.6-4, 245-pound defensive end out of Atlanta, Tx.
11. Ka'Ra Stewart, 6-0, 190-pound defensive back out of O'Fallon, Il.
12. Rickey Hatley, 6-4 defensive end out of Atlanta, Tx.
13. Michael Schere, 6-4, 229-pound linebacker from St. Louis.
14. Jordan Williams, 6-4, 190-pound offensive lineman out of Denton, Tx.
15. Chaston Cuffee, 6-1, 185-pound defensive back out of Cleburne, Tx.
16. John Gibson, 5-10, 172-pound defensive back out of Missouri City, Tx.
17. Russell Hansbrough, 5-8, 173-pound running back out of Arlington, Tx.
18. Markus Golden, 6-3, 230-pound linebacker out of Hutchinson (Ks.) Community College.

Read more here: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2366#storylink=cpy

epitome1170
02-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Here is Missouri's complete recruiting class:
1. Dorial Green-Beckham, 6-6, 220-pound wide receiver out of Springfield (Mo.) Hillcrest.
2. Evan Boehm, 6-3, 290-pound offensive lineman from Lee's Summit West.
3. Morgan Steward, 5-11, 182-pound running back from Staley High School in Kansas City.
4. Sean Culkin, 6-5, 226-pound tight end out of Largo, Fl.
5. Maty Mauk, 6-2, 185-pound quarterback out of Kenton, Oh.
6. Donavin Newsom, 6-2, 220-pound linebacker out of St. Louis.
7. Evan Winston, 6-4, 240-pound defensive lineman out of Muskegon Heights, Mi.
8. Torey Boozer, 6-3, 210-pound defensive back out of Everman, Tx.
9. Harold Brantley, 6-2, 260-pound defensive lineman out of Hershey, Pa.
10. Levi Copelin, 6-4, 178-pound defensive back/wide receiver out of Detroit.6-4, 245-pound defensive end out of Atlanta, Tx.
11. Ka'Ra Stewart, 6-0, 190-pound defensive back out of O'Fallon, Il.
12. Rickey Hatley, 6-4 defensive end out of Atlanta, Tx.
13. Michael Schere, 6-4, 229-pound linebacker from St. Louis.
14. Jordan Williams, 6-4, 190-pound offensive lineman out of Denton, Tx.
15. Chaston Cuffee, 6-1, 185-pound defensive back out of Cleburne, Tx.
16. John Gibson, 5-10, 172-pound defensive back out of Missouri City, Tx.
17. Russell Hansbrough, 5-8, 173-pound running back out of Arlington, Tx.
18. Markus Golden, 6-3, 230-pound linebacker out of Hutchinson (Ks.) Community College.

Read more here: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2366#storylink=cpy

Too lazy to do the work, so does any one have the recruiting ratings for each of these?

Saul Good
02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Either some of the numbers are off, or our 6-4 190 pound OL is going to need to put on some weight.

Trevo_410
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
We are going to have to recruit our asses off for lineman on both sides of the ball for next year.

Need some beef.

|Zach|
02-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I think Tony Temple is *still* running past the Arkansas defense.

O.city
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Arkansas fans wanna pound their chest and talk about how they have such a great program.

What have they actually won?

Saul Good
02-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Arkansas fans wanna pound their chest and talk about how they have such a great program.

What have they actually won?

I can't even think of the last time they finished better than third in their division.

O.city
02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I think they did last year didn't they, when they made the Sugar bowl. But they didn't win it.

Reaper16
02-01-2012, 05:58 PM
I think they did last year didn't they, when they made the Sugar bowl. But they didn't win it.
Correct.