PDA

View Full Version : KU *****Official 2019/2020 Kansas Men's Basketball Repository Thread*****

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Chief Pagan
11-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Just because he did doesn't mean he can. Its nice to face a coach with honor and Dayton seemed to have no interest in the hack a doke strategy. It worked, but it is a mistake to play Udoka in close games beyond the 3 or 4 minute mark. As it turns out he was one of the reasons we won the game and played great...but you shouldn't be relying on him like that down the stretch when SDS or McCormick can almost equally replace him and shoot much better FTs

I don't think a coach should avoid intentionally fouling over honor. If you don't like a game being decided by fouling a player who doesn't have the ball, and I never have, the rules should be changed. But coaches should try to win within what the rules allow.

I would change both college and NBA so if a player not involved with the ball is fouled, team gets option to take ball out of bounds with short reset of shooting clock.

A player who is about to catch or has just thrown a pass is involved with the ball.

KC_Connection
11-28-2019, 07:33 PM
TRIGGERED derp

You were and apparently continue to be, yes.

And no, everyone was laughing at you last year (and it actually wasn't a bad schtick until you got to the point where you couldn't possibly exaggerate any more, yet kept going).
Isn't that kind of the idea?

KC_Connection
11-28-2019, 07:35 PM
I don't think a coach should avoid intentionally fouling over honor. If you don't like a game being decided by fouling a player who doesn't have the ball, and I never have, the rules should be changed. But coaches should try to win within what the rules allow.

I would change both college and NBA so if a player not involved with the ball is fouled, team gets option to take ball out of bounds with short reset of shooting clock.

A player who is about to catch or has just thrown a pass is involved with the ball.
I'd throw my bench scrubs all day at Udoka once KU gets into bonus just to put him on the line. Self would be forced to pull him.

Some coaches have done that in the past and will do it again.

RaidersOftheCellar
11-29-2019, 08:58 PM
KU was excellent the other day. Anyone who says otherwise has a pencildick.

Probably the best team in the country.

Self said before the year that he’s motivated to make this his best coaching job ever. Combining this with arguably the best roster in the nation could equal domination.

Coogs
11-29-2019, 09:29 PM
I'd throw my bench scrubs all day at Udoka once KU gets into bonus just to put him on the line. Self would be forced to pull him.

Some coaches have done that in the past and will do it again.

I'm not exactly sure on the numbers, but he was 4-4 or 5-5 late in this game. That said, I get your point.

Prison Bitch
11-29-2019, 09:32 PM

Self said before the year that he’s motivated to make this his best coaching job ever. Combining this with arguably the best roster in the nation could equal domination.

Correct. This is as good a roster as any in college

smithandrew051
11-29-2019, 10:38 PM

When De Sousa, Braun, and Enaruna really come around, this team will really be dangerous. We haven’t seen their best basketball yet. Very exciting year ahead.

RaidersOftheCellar
11-29-2019, 11:11 PM
When De Sousa, Braun, and Enaruna really come around, this team will really be dangerous. We haven’t seen their best basketball yet. Very exciting year ahead.

Wish McBride had stayed. He’d probably have been the best three point shooter on the team.

Buehler445
11-29-2019, 11:26 PM

Right.

Another thing I noticed is Moss is putting in the effort. He isn't a great athlete or a plus defender, but it looks to me like the effort is there, which is important, see Greene, Brannen.

DJay23
11-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Right.

Another thing I noticed is Moss is putting in the effort. He isn't a great athlete or a plus defender, but it looks to me like the effort is there, which is important, see Greene, Brannen.

Self had him in a good deal of the time at the end of that Dayton game which means he trusts Moss' defense. He's a vet who's been through it which is a great thing to have in your backcourt.

Buehler445
11-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Self had him in a good deal of the time at the end of that Dayton game which means he trusts Moss' defense. He's a vet who's been through it which is a great thing to have in your backcourt.

Aww hell. I didn’t mean to thumb down you. My bad.

A vet that he trusts the defense f and that can shoot. It warms my soul.

sedated
12-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Apparently Jalen Wilson is going to redshirt. I'm not sure what to think of that. Good to put a season on hold if he was only going to get a couple of months, but if he can contribute in March this team should be all hands on deck.

Kiimo
12-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Apparently Jalen Wilson is going to redshirt. I'm not sure what to think of that.

Link please

Prison Bitch
12-04-2019, 03:42 PM
Wasn’t going to play, with Moss and Enaruna sucking up the bench min. DeSousa isn’t even getting on the court.

Ceej
12-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Wasn’t going to play, with Moss and Enaruna sucking up the bench min. DeSousa isn’t even getting on the court.

SDS not getting on the court bugs me.

Thought for sure this kid would play with a big chip on his shoulder.

TambaBerry
12-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Didn't he get a bad injury?

sedated
12-04-2019, 09:46 PM

The excuse has been that he's rusty after a year off :shrug:

We shall see I guess. It has been shocking to not see him on the floor almost an entire half some games.

sedated
12-04-2019, 09:47 PM
Didn't he get a bad injury?

Wilson? Broken ankle, 10-12 weeks, nearly a month ago. Return expected in Jan.

Prison Bitch
12-04-2019, 10:27 PM

#meToo

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 12:46 AM
So FWIW Graham hit 10 3s tonight for Charlotte. Good for him.

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 12:51 AM

More than that I thought he’d be better suited for the game these days than Doke or McCormick. Doke has his place as the giant fucking ogre on the floor. But SDS is so much more of a fluid athlete than McCormick (and I’m a McCormick fan) he should be able to get minutes, especially if 4s or even 5s try to stretch and work in space. If we need the size I can understand going McCormick but we haven’t really faced anyone big yet.

As much as Self wants to go 2 bigs, you’d think SDS would get reps defending the 4 guard lineups.

IDK man.

ramblinman73
12-05-2019, 01:16 AM
Wilson? Broken ankle, 10-12 weeks, nearly a month ago. Return expected in Jan.

He is red shirting this year

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 01:45 AM
He is red shirting this year

Q :D

Welcome to the Planet.

ChiefsFanatic
12-05-2019, 08:21 AM

A player who is about to catch or has just thrown a pass is involved with the ball.The strategy of fouling intentionally won Bob Knight a National Championship in 87. And it certainly helped KU in 2008.

But I agree that fouling a specific player, off the ball, just to put him on the line at the end of the game, should not be an option. But the problem is that there are legitimate off the ball fouls, like grabbing a cutting player when defending an inbounds play, that should put players on the line.

But the officials already can't get verticality or the charge/block calls correct, so changes to the rule book adding another judgement call in tight game situations would undoubtedly just lead to more controversy.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 08:27 AM
The strategy of fouling intentionally won Bob Knight a National Championship in 87. And it certainly helped KU in 2008.

But I agree that fouling a specific player, off the ball, just to put him on the line at the end of the game, should not be an option. But the problem is that there are legitimate off the ball fouls, like grabbing a cutting player when defending an inbounds play, that should put players on the line.

But the officials already can't get verticality or the charge/block calls correct, so changes to the rule book adding another judgement call in tight game situations would undoubtedly just lead to more controversy.

Yeah, I watched UNC get throttled at home last night, and the refs fucked up 3 charge calls against 1 dude on OSU. Felt like the Final 4 game with UNC.

Refs are just terrible across the board.

And if I'm getting the story straight, didn't Hardin dunk a ball and it ripped through the net so hard it rolled back up on the rim and off, the officials refused to count the bucket, and Houston lost in Double OT?

What a fuckfest officiating is these days.

SuperChief
12-05-2019, 09:53 AM
More than that I thought he’d be better suited for the game these days than Doke or McCormick. Doke has his place as the giant ****ing ogre on the floor. But SDS is so much more of a fluid athlete than McCormick (and I’m a McCormick fan) he should be able to get minutes, especially if 4s or even 5s try to stretch and work in space. If we need the size I can understand going McCormick but we haven’t really faced anyone big yet.

As much as Self wants to go 2 bigs, you’d think SDS would get reps defending the 4 guard lineups.

IDK man.

The problem with your logic here is that SDS isn't good enough defensively to guard stretch 4s away from the paint. It's unfortunate (and kind of a head scratcher), but it's true.

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 10:04 AM
The problem with your logic here is that SDS isn't good enough defensively to guard stretch 4s away from the paint. It's unfortunate (and kind of a head scratcher), but it's true.

I know this. But neither is McCormick and SDS, physically should pick it up better than McCormick is all I was saying.

And if you're going to give a guy some run to knock the rust off and see what he's got, it was the first few games (after Duke of course).

Obviously something else is going on.

kcjayhawks5
12-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Unfortunately this is correct. I think SDS can learn to be a better defender on the perimeter but it will take time. He’s never had to do that before and looks very unsure of himself, which is understandable. It’s not rocket science he just needs practice.

BWillie
12-05-2019, 10:26 AM

If we lost Doke for the season, and we just played SDS instead. Would we really be much worse? We wouldn't have to force the ball down low resulting in tons of turnovers and 38% FT attempts and can focus on moving the ball. Getting the open shot. Doke's defense really isn't that amazing anyway, he's just long and can occasionally get blocks. He's not a good rebounder or a plus defender.

Doke has value when used effectively, but I'm afraid when I hear Bill Self too much say how the offense has to run thru Doke and he has to catch it every time down the floor. Which is mind boggling to me. Lots of bad things can happen when you force the ball into the post. Either our guards throw the ball out of bounds trying to feed him, he bobbles the ball, gets it stripped, or gets fouled and we have a 35% FT shooter going to the line. All of those scenarios are not effective basketball. Sure, when he's wide open get him the ball but the force feeding him or wanting to do that sure isn't a great idea IMO.

sedated
12-05-2019, 10:48 AM
I know this. But neither is McCormick

I might have to disagree on the fluidity gap between McCormack and SDS. McCormack may not be a ballet dancer out there, but he has been surprisingly agile given his monster size. Since SDS isn't built for guarding stretch 4s either, McCormack's size works as an advantage even on the perimeter.

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 11:40 AM
I might have to disagree on the fluidity gap between McCormack and SDS. McCormack may not be a ballet dancer out there, but he has been surprisingly agile given his monster size. Since SDS isn't built for guarding stretch 4s either, McCormack's size works as an advantage even on the perimeter.

Could be. And to be fair I haven’t seen SDS play in 2 years so I may be misremembering:cuss:

smithandrew051
12-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Devonte Graham is having a great season so far with the Hornets.

Just set a franchise record with 10 3’s in a game last night. Also, he’s averaging around 19 points, 8 assists, and 4 rebounds per game.

Absolute steal as a second round pick last year.

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 11:50 AM

Just set a franchise record with 10 3’s in a game last night. Also, he’s averaging around 19 points, 8 assists, and 4 rebounds per game.

Yeah. I’m stoked for him. I wish he was on a better team, but the rule changes on physical play really opens up the door for a guy like Graham. And quite frankly guys like Graham are more fun to watch than 90s ball.

BWillie
12-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Yeah. I’m stoked for him. I wish he was on a better team, but the rule changes on physical play really opens up the door for a guy like Graham. And quite frankly guys like Graham are more fun to watch than 90s ball.

Agree on all points...except it allows James Harden types to thrive. Which is a downside, at least for me. But its so much more fun to watch free flowing offenses instead of Bill Lambeer or Dennis Rodman mug ppl

Buehler445
12-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Agree on all points...except it allows James Harden types to thrive. Which is a downside, at least for me. But its so much more fun to watch free flowing offenses instead of Bill Lambeer or Dennis Rodman mug ppl

I’m not a Harden hater per se. Its not how I’d prefer the game be played but he is a hell of a talent. My issue is more with the officiating of Harden specifically. Somehow or another when he tosses a dude off to the side when he crosses over it isn’t a foul. And they should tag his ass for flopping. I really think officiating most dudes get applied to Harden fixes most of what pisses us off about Harden.

Chief Pagan
12-05-2019, 01:00 PM
The strategy of fouling intentionally won Bob Knight a National Championship in 87. And it certainly helped KU in 2008.

I understand your point. But I would make legitimate off ball fouls the same. Team gets option to take ball out of bounds. The only subjectivity is whether it is off ball or not.

sedated
12-05-2019, 01:37 PM

I'm pretty shocked that Graham turned out to be the better pro than Frank Mason.

I'm even more shocked we didn't win the title or at least make the F4 the year we had Mason, Graham, and Josh Jackson.

BWillie
12-05-2019, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty shocked that Graham turned out to be the better pro than Frank Mason.

I'm even more shocked we didn't win the title or at least make the F4 the year we had Mason, Graham, and Josh Jackson.

Taller, better passer, better shooter.

Mason much better driving in the paint and craftiness inside of the arc. Something Grahams never figured out.

dtrain
12-07-2019, 07:27 AM
Bryce Thompson playing in Norm Stewart Classic on ESPNU. The kid can play.

sedated
12-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Taller, better passer, better shooter.

Mason much better driving in the paint and craftiness inside of the arc. Something Grahams never figured out.

Better shooter? FM3 shot 47% from 3 his senior year. He was also the only one who didnt piss down his leg against Oregon in the E8.

SithCeNtZ
12-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Better shooter? FM3 shot 47% from 3 his senior year. He was also the only one who didnt piss down his leg against Oregon in the E8.

Yep. Mason was better. The problem with Graham was his extreme inconsistency. For instance his Sr year he had a 4 game stretch where he shot 12-50 from the field. That’s just awful. He would have huge games then disappear for others. He only scored 11 points against duke in the elite 8 and had 8 vs seton hall in the second round. I never thought he would be consistent in the nba but here we are.

KC_Connection
12-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Graham was the senior leader of a team that went to the FF and only lost to one of the best teams of the past decade. Very good NCAA player. Surprising that he's turning out to be this good a NBA player, but it's not a major shock.

BWillie
12-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Oh trust me, I love Mason. Way more than Graham even. Frank Mason is my favorite player of all time but when considering only 3 point shooting I'm going to go with Graham. Quicker release, better looking stroke, he just takes worse shots. Mason was the smarter basketball player while at Kansas. Graham had somewhat of an issue taking bad shots, which led to a lower percentage but it really handicapped him from 2point range morso.

smithandrew051
12-07-2019, 04:39 PM
Oh trust me, I love Mason. Way more than Graham even. Frank Mason is my favorite player of all time but when considering only 3 point shooting I'm going to go with Graham. Quicker release, better looking stroke, he just takes worse shots. Mason was the smarter basketball player while at Kansas. Graham had somewhat of an issue taking bad shots, which led to a lower percentage but it really handicapped him from 2point range morso.

Mason is one of my all time favorites too.

I used to love how he would go body seeking whenever we needed a bucket. Dude would drive right into the paint and draw contact from the other team’s big. And he was money from the free throw line.

Tough as nails.

smithandrew051
12-07-2019, 04:43 PM
My all time Kansas lineup of my favorite players (only from my lifetime-born in 1989).

PG-Frank Mason: tough as hell. Competitor. Smart. Fearless.
SG-Kirk Hinrich: such a smooth player. Seemed to be good at everything. Gritty competitor.
SF-Paul Pierce: my first favorite player.
PF-Nick Collison: probably my favorite player ever. Dude deserved a title. Named my son Collison.
C-Joel Embiid: most gifted player I’ve ever seen at Kansas. Go watch the game at Iowa State. Niang looked completely helpless when trying to defend Embiid.

Prison Bitch
12-07-2019, 04:56 PM
You left off Quinton Grimes

TLO
12-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Where's JR Giddens?

Demonpenz
12-07-2019, 06:31 PM
I really love what Cliff alexander brought

Buehler445
12-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Where's JR Giddens?

Probably getting shanked in a bar.

RealSNR
12-07-2019, 07:18 PM
My all time Kansas lineup of my favorite players (only from my lifetime-born in 1989).

SG-Kirk Hinrich: such a smooth player. Seemed to be good at everything. Gritty competitor.
PF-Nick Collison: probably my favorite player ever. Dude deserved a title. Named my son Collison.
C-Joel Embiid: most gifted player I’ve ever seen at Kansas. Go watch the game at Iowa State. Niang looked completely helpless when trying to defend Embiid.

Nobody from the 2008 Title team?

Hell, nobody from ANY title team?

ljmhawk
12-07-2019, 07:21 PM

if you read his post he says from 1989-present.

Buehler445
12-07-2019, 07:33 PM

To be fair those 07 and 08 teams were really really deep teams. But nobody was super elite talent. Rush was supposed to be. Charmers did a lot of remarkable things. Collins was a spark plug. The beautiful thing about that team was that anybody could carry a load. Compared to the next year if Aldrich or Collins had a bad game it was going to be an L.

I don’t think there is any way Robinson’s not my 4. There is a ton of hard decisions to get it to 5.

smithandrew051
12-07-2019, 07:40 PM

Buehler said it best. That 2008 team was all about the team. Not as much about the individual talent, and probably because there was so much talent on that one.

BWillie
12-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Buehler said it best. That 2008 team was all about the team. Not as much about the individual talent, and probably because there was so much talent on that one.

Reminded me of those Billy Donovan Florida teams

DJJasonp
12-07-2019, 11:53 PM

C-Joel Embiid: most gifted player I’ve ever seen at Kansas. Go watch the game at Iowa State. Niang looked completely helpless when trying to defend Embiid.I like this, but as much as i love mason, i probably would swap him out for jacque vaughn.

Vaughn, at least how i remember it, was a lock-down defender. Similar styles with getting to the rim....mason probably had a better 3 ball, but vaughn could carry the team, or drop 10 assists.....with the stellar d.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Imon Yourside
12-08-2019, 12:01 AM
I like this, but as much as i love mason, i probably would swap him out for jacque vaughn.

Vaughn, at least how i remember it, was a lock-down defender. Similar styles with getting to the rim....mason probably had a better 3 ball, but vaughn could carry the team, or drop 10 assists.....with the stellar d.

Milt Newton and Danny Manning would have to be on my list as well as one of my alltime favorites Julian Wright!

ChiefsFanatic
12-08-2019, 02:03 AM
I like this, but as much as i love mason, i probably would swap him out for jacque vaughn.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TapatalkI'm sorry, but #BIFM was a better defender than Vaughn, because he was stronger and more aggressive. His on the ball defense was outstanding. And Mason was a better shooter and driver. Vaughn was a very good pass-first-pass-second-in-fact-just-pass-point guard, but overall Mason was just better.

In his senior year Mason averaged 5 assists a game, and he played 3 years with a second point guard playing the 2. If he had played with a true SG for 3 years instead of Graham, his career assists total would be much higher.

ChiefsFanatic
12-08-2019, 03:31 AM

C-Joel Embiid: most gifted player I’ve ever seen at Kansas. Go watch the game at Iowa State. Niang looked completely helpless when trying to defend Embiid.That's a strong lineup. I have been a KU fan since I was 15, or the year 1986. I have seen nearly every game broadcast on television, either live or recorded, since 1986, and many, many games in AFH. I missed about 4 non-con exhibition games, and I could have watched all of them after the fact, but I just didn't feel the need to watch us beat Washburn by 30. And of course there were games in the late 80s that just weren't on TV.

Here is my favorite player lineup, and I will put honorable mentions in parenthesis. These are my favorites, not necessarily the best. Some players may be listed at 2 positions. Like Mario, Devonte', and Kirk. Kirk was the SG to Miles' PG, Devonte' was the SG to Mason's PG, etc.

PG: My favorite is none other than #BIFM. He is also my all time favorite Jayhawk, because of how hard he worked, the player he made himself into, and his passion for the game and for the Jayhawks. Just imagine, he was in a recruiting class with Selden, Embiid, and Wiggins. If you had a gun to your head at the beginning of their Freshman year, and you had to pick the player out of those 4 who would be the consensus POTY during their career, it would have never been Frank Mason (Kirk, D'Tae, TT, Collins, Reed)

SG: Devonte' Graham. I know that this choice may appear to be suffer from recency bias, but D'Tae was just so damn likeable, had so much fun playing the game, and was a part of some of the best KU games in history. (Mario, EJ, Kirk, Collins, Haase, T-Rele)

SF: Paul Pierce. Some may say he was a SG, but I think his game was clearly that of a wing player. He wasn't the fastest, the highest jumper, or even an athletic leaper, but he was always just enough of those things when he had to be. He was one of just a handful of players that were truly held back by Roy Williams' system. Many players that Roy had could have scored more in a different offensive system, but PP was the kind of player that could have led the nation in scoring if given the right opportunity and system. (T-Rele, Newton, The Moori, The Fro Kevin Young, Wright and Keith Langford, who was a very close #2 for this position. In all my years of watching KU, there have only been 2-3 players who could get rim with anywhere close to the ease with which K-Freeze could.)

PF: Danny Manning. This one is an absolute no-brainer. (The only other plausible candidate for this position is Nick Collison, and the only other plausible candidate for the position of the only other plausible candidate is T-Rob. You follow me?) Danny could do everything on the court. He had skills that were nearly 2 decades ahead of their time. His defense improved every year he was here, he was a tremendously instinctual rebounder, and the man could flat out score. And then score some more. At one time he was 10th on the NCAA D-1 all time scoring list. He led KU to two Final Fours, and dominated the 88 National Championship game. Until Frank Mason, Danny was my all time favorite Jayhawk. (LaFrentz, The Moori, Perry, Alonzo Jamison, and of course Collison. T-Rob holds a place in my heart for the way he battled through losing his Grandparents and Mother. And he worked so hard to make himself a great player. He was absolutely EFFING ROBBED for POTY in his Junior season. He averaged 18 and 12, and was the best player in the nation, but the Unibrow stole the awards because of his NBA potential, and the fact that he played for Kentucky. If he had the exact same year for any other team, T-Rob is National Player of the Year in 2012. Nick Collison was just relentless in everything he did on the court, if we needed him to score, he would lead the team in scoring. Same with rebounding, or defending the opponent's best big, etc.)

C: My heart says Jeff Withey, because of his rim protection, the fact that he inspired one of the greatest selfie trends, and inspired one of the greatest fake Twitter accounts of all time. But.......... This is a tough one for me. If Embiid had played more than one year, or played in the NCAA Tournament, he would probably be my favorite Center. He is absolutely the most talented Center in my lifetime. But he just didn't play enough games in a KU uniform. Then there is The Big O, who was goofy, and likeable, and an incredible rim protector. And there is Cole, who had one of the single greatest performances as a Freshman when he outplayed the college POTY in whiny Tyler Hansbrough. And then there is Withey, who could dominate a game defensively at the rim in a way that maybe, maybe no one outside of Wilt has ever done at KU. He helped lead KU to the National Championship game, and was robbed of the single game, and Tournament record for blocks by a piss-poor official scorer. I don't think I can pick a favorite center.

I am sure that there are some players that I am just not remembering at the moment, but I feel very good about this list of favorite Jayhawks by position.

ramblinman73
12-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Vaughn benefitted from having elite talent around him most his time at KU. He wasnt a good shooter.

Frank got better as he got older. Vaughn pretty much stayed the same.

Yes he was a good defender but at pg you need someone who can score and that's Frank

Buehler445
12-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Ostertag!!!!!!!

Love that dude.

Withey I don’t think belongs on that list. His rim protection was probably all time best but offensively he was painful. Aldrich is the better player despite being seemingly half as long.

I think people understate TROB. That team he was on had nothing. He was triple teamed a LOT. Many players through KUs history have put up points because the opponent had to worry about other scorers. That team was Taylor (who’s be in the running if Mason and Graham didn’t exist). And TROB. And TROB had no bad games (that I can remember). He just abused double teams all night long. In the history CF has posted he’s probably not above Manning but is close IMO. He was a man machine and really all we had. And I’m convinced that the block of that Mizzouche punk broke them and then they lost to Norfolk State. ROFL

Small plug for Releford. He doesn’t belong on the list, he just couldn’t score well enough. But god damn I love that dude. His on the ball defense might be the best that’s ever played here. I’m a sucker for good hard nosed defense and he brought it every week. He would just destroy better athletes. And when we got fouls in the post Self put him down there and he shut down dudes that had 6” on him. One of the favorite stories I’ve heard Self tell was they had some recruit in for practice that was running his mouth about how he’d get minutes right now and blah blah blah. Self said “listen, if I tell Travis not to let you get the ball you won’t.” He didn’t. I was in the tractor laughing my ass off.

Pants
12-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Sherron Collins at PG or GTFO.

BWillie
12-08-2019, 05:06 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DR16xiSmfUI/TVVQjRs52-I/AAAAAAAAADg/Z1DJ_T-3bzQ/s1600/ostertag_playgirl_coverboy.jpgOstertag!!!!!!!

Love that dude.

Withey I don’t think belongs on that list. His rim protection was probably all time best but offensively he was painful. Aldrich is the better player despite being seemingly half as long.

I think people understate TROB. That team he was on had nothing. He was triple teamed a LOT. Many players through KUs history have put up points because the opponent had to worry about other scorers. That team was Taylor (who’s be in the running if Mason and Graham didn’t exist). And TROB. And TROB had no bad games (that I can remember). He just abused double teams all night long. In the history CF has posted he’s probably not above Manning but is close IMO. He was a man machine and really all we had. And I’m convinced that the block of that Mizzouche punk broke them and then they lost to Norfolk State. ROFL

Small plug for Releford. He doesn’t belong on the list, he just couldn’t score well enough. But god damn I love that dude. His on the ball defense might be the best that’s ever played here. I’m a sucker for good hard nosed defense and he brought it every week. He would just destroy better athletes. And when we got fouls in the post Self put him down there and he shut down dudes that had 6” on him. One of the favorite stories I’ve heard Self tell was they had some recruit in for practice that was running his mouth about how he’d get minutes right now and blah blah blah. Self said “listen, if I tell Travis not to let you get the ball you won’t.” He didn’t. I was in the tractor laughing my ass off.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DR16xiSmfUI/TVVQjRs52-I/AAAAAAAAADg/Z1DJ_T-3bzQ/s1600/ostertag_playgirl_coverboy.jpg

BWillie
12-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Sherron Collins at PG or GTFO.

Kind of a volume shooter. But we needed him to be in that year with Aldrich. Without him we don't win the 2008 Natty either.

I just like Mason's efficiency. It's a damn shame he didn't get to the Final Four. He left it all on the floor and it was never his fault when we lost some of those big games. Maybe we can get that guy into coaching after his playing career.

PHOG
12-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Should be a good test on the road @ Nova

Kiimo
12-21-2019, 11:10 AM
McCormack continuing his excellent play. He's gonna be something if he does

PHOG
12-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Embiid sighting!

Mr. Plow
12-21-2019, 11:24 AM
I want him to succeed so badly, but De Sousa just looks lost.

Pablo
12-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Damn it, be alright Marcus...

smithandrew051
12-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Hope that’s minor.

PHOG
12-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Ouch! Walk it off. (Hopefully)

PHOG
12-21-2019, 11:51 AM
All tied up at half. Hope Garrett is ok. :(

smithandrew051
12-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Nova has already shot 21 3’s. Teams are getting a ton of attempts against us this year.

Is that bad perimeter defense? Or are teams just giving up on trying to force the ball inside because of how big we are?

Probably remains to be seen. With the athletes we have on the perimeter, it doesn’t seem like our perimeter defense should be bad.

BWillie
12-21-2019, 12:44 PM
I don't want to lose this game because I'm tired of hearing the college basketball is down narrative and how so many teams could be #1.

No. We are fucking #1. Legggoooo

BWillie
12-21-2019, 12:50 PM
Burlington Kansas mother ****ers...Christian Braun coming alive

smithandrew051
Couple huge plays by Braun

PHOG
Braun with the clutch drive!

smithandrew051
12-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Damnit Dotson. That could’ve been the game.

PHOG
12-21-2019, 12:55 PM
DOTSON!! :deevee:

BWillie
Man, we had this game. We had it.

smithandrew051
Dotson with the choke job down the stretch. Let’s see if we have some magic in us.

smithandrew051
12-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Dotson gets his pocket picked for the layup.
Dotson gets the go ahead 3 shot right in his face.
Dotson misses the from end.

He can’t do that. 3 losing plays.

smithandrew051
12-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Holy shit Dotson!!!! Now go hit the game winner

BWillie
12-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Dotson with the inbound defense though! Trying to keep us in the game

bdj23
12-21-2019, 01:01 PM
There is a chance!

smithandrew051
12-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Well fuck. Dotson needs to wear that one. Yeah he made a nice defensive play, but he almost singlehandedly blew that one down the stretch.

KC_Connection
12-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Dotson basically completely choked that one. Of course, KU can't even really function without him so it is what it is.

2nd loss of the year against a team KU is way better than (they seem to be way better than pretty much everyone, though). Hope Garrett isn't out too long, he's their 2nd or 3rd most important player.

Prison Bitch
12-21-2019, 01:12 PM
We just lost to a team that went 10-41 from deep

BWillie
12-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Dotson basically completely choked that one. Of course, KU can't even really function without him so it is what it is.

2nd loss of the year against a team KU is way better than (they seem to be way better than pretty much everyone, though). Hope Garrett isn't out too long, he's their 2nd or 3rd most important player.

And not going to win may games making 3 threes.

PHOG
12-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Bad stretch there for Dotson, cost us the game. But he almost pulled it out anyway. He will learn from this. :huh:

sedated
12-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Missed easy looks in 1st half and missed free throws in 2nd half, blew it. Good game though. I hate Villanova, but gotta respect em.

KC_Connection
12-21-2019, 01:21 PM
And not going to win may games making 3 threes.
Well if any team is going to do it, it's going to be this one. They're elite defensively and have Udoka.

And I guess they almost did.

Prison Bitch
12-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Moss dropped a nice 0-5 turd in a one pt loss

Good job

Titty Meat
12-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Has there been a team that's stayed ranked #1 for more than a week or so this season?

T-post Tom
12-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Bad stretch there for Dotson, cost us the game. But he almost pulled it out anyway. He will learn from this. :huh:

Hope he gets better from this. He over-compensated on the last possession.

SithCeNtZ
12-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Hope he gets better from this. He over-compensated on the last possession.

It was shades of Elijah throwing the last 2 minutes of the Michigan tournament game. Just an awful performance.

Prison Bitch
12-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Kcconnect”you have to shoot the 3 in today’s modern game”

Nova beats #1 shooting 10-42

Kcconnect “can we talk about something else?”

sedated
12-21-2019, 06:04 PM

One game is not a trend, much less a standard.

But you're a f**king moron, so there's that.

KC_Connection
12-21-2019, 07:15 PM

I’m not even sure what point you think you’re making here. If Villanova shot that badly taking a lesser volume of threes, they would have lost easily. The fact that they took so many more threes kind of won them the game...

smithandrew051
12-21-2019, 07:16 PM
This is a shitty sports weekend so far

KC_Connection
12-21-2019, 07:21 PM
This is a shitty sports weekend so far
Better to have good sports weekends in February and March than now

Al Czervik
12-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Shooting 40% from the line is a kick in the nuts.....
Lots of reasons for the loss....But that is one that
shouldnt happen......

smithandrew051
12-29-2019, 08:55 PM
Holy shit. The team’s plane had engine failure and had to land. Luckily, they landed safely. That could’ve been horrible.

smithandrew051
12-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Better to have good sports weekends in February and March than now

This was a much better weekend.

KC_Connection
12-29-2019, 11:14 PM
This was a much better weekend.
Indeed. KU appears to have the best defense in the NCAA this season.

smithandrew051
01-04-2020, 03:26 PM
This is gross so far

Pablo
01-04-2020, 03:29 PM
This is gross so far

Every game against WVU is. They aim to make basketball as awful to watch as possible.

Imon Yourside
01-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Game is totally unwatchable so many stupid mistakes that shouldn't happen to a high school team.

smithandrew051
01-04-2020, 03:43 PM
We’re making Tsheibwe look like a lottery pick

BWillie
01-04-2020, 04:37 PM
We need this one. Luckily neither team can shoot worth a shit. We SHOULD match up great against WVU

KCFalcon59
01-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Boo-clones kind of quiet tonight.

Pablo
01-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Absolutely worked these losers over that first half.

DJJasonp
01-08-2020, 07:47 PM
BOOOOOO!!!

smithandrew051
01-08-2020, 07:48 PM
This turned into a slaughter in a hurry. Wonder if that old booster will rush the court and try to attack Self again?

DJay23
01-08-2020, 07:53 PM
This turned into a slaughter in a hurry. Wonder if that old booster will rush the court and try to attack Self again?

Weatherwax

Pablo
01-08-2020, 07:54 PM

That loser surely died of a stroke by now.

smithandrew051
01-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Weatherwax

Melvin, right?

bdj23
01-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Lmao I forgot about ole mel.

DJJasonp
01-08-2020, 07:59 PM
Did Rusty make an appearance to tell us how THIS is the year the cyclones win it all!???

smithandrew051
01-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Elijah Johnson will always have a place in my heart for that disrespectful dunk at the end of that game. That was beautiful.

KC_Connection
01-08-2020, 09:12 PM
lol ISU is so bad these days that KU beats them by 30 on the road

KC_Connection
01-08-2020, 09:27 PM
This is now the 4th best KU team by KenPom rating in the Self era (2008, 2010, 2016).

MotherJefer
01-08-2020, 09:41 PM
This is now the 4th best KU team by KenPom rating in the Self era (2008, 2010, 2016).

Pomeroy is smarter than me but I would put this team below 2007, 2011 (which should arguably be second behind 2008) and 2017 as well. What this team has for defense, those teams had in 3 point shooting. I did see something about this team's defense being one of the best that his model has seen (I think that is overblown but this team is pretty solid on that end of the court).

smithandrew051
01-08-2020, 09:54 PM

That 2016 would’ve won it all of they didn’t choke away that 10 point lead to Villanova (who was also very good).

That team was so deep.

Mason
Graham
Selden
Ellis
Lucas

Bench:
Greene
Svi
Vick
Mickelson
Traylor
Bragg
Diallo
Coleby

Very underrated Self team

smithandrew051
01-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Pomeroy is smarter than me but I would put this team below 2007, 2011 (which should arguably be second behind 2008) and 2017 as well. What this team has for defense, those teams had in 3 point shooting. I did see something about this team's defense being one of the best that his model has seen (I think that is overblown but this team is pretty solid on that end of the court).

I wouldn’t rank 2011 all that high. The Morris Twins were sensational and T Rob was a beast off the bench, but the guard play was nothing special.

Tyshawn was probably the best guard that year, and he still was very inconsistent at the time with a lot of turnovers. Selby was disappointing after his injury. Morningstar and Reed were nice role players, but not stars.

I’d put 2007, 2008, 2010, 2016, and 2017 ahead of that one for sure.

RaidersOftheCellar
01-08-2020, 10:22 PM

When I watch, it doesn’t seem like a truly dominant, smothering defense, but they’re holding everyone to 50 points.

saphojunkie
01-08-2020, 10:50 PM
My thoughts as we enter conference play:

1. The Masonification of Dotson is happening every week, more and more. He's finishing around the basket on drives so much more consistently. It's really, really fun to watch. Hard to believe he's a sophomore. If he leaves for the NBA, so be it, but he'll be POY if he comes back.

2. I was really worried about Enaruna when we were in exhibition games, but he's fast becoming a devastating off ball defender. He's just so long that passing lanes disappear. He still has decision making issues, but I'm really happy with his development.

3. Udoka is just feasting.

4. Ochai, Garrett, Moss, and Braun are where this team is really elevating. The bigs are athletic, strong, and Dotson controls the game, but this rotation of guards is what is separating us. I really am shocked by Braun. He plays like a senior sometimes. Just have total confidence in him making the right choice 90% of the time. Garrett has become an actual offensive weapon, and when Moss is on, it's like having Tyrell Reed back out there in the corner. Loving this team so far.

They're also playing like a team. It's unselfish and supportive, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of ego running around. They are just playing like a whole organism. I'm really digging the style of play right now. It's not as flashy as year's past, but it seems much, much harder to poke holes in our game.

smithandrew051
01-08-2020, 11:16 PM
Braun has to be the most pleasant surprise so far. I figured he would be good, but not this early.

He reminds me of Svi as a sophomore. Always making the right play and a dangerous deep threat off the bench. He’s going to be a special player for us.

DJay23
01-09-2020, 08:28 AM
Melvin, right?

That sounds right.

Lzen
01-09-2020, 08:52 AM
lol ISU is so bad these days that KU beats them by 30 on the road

These days? You mean this year? ISU beat us twice out of three times last season. Which makes this blowout win at their place that much more enjoyable to me. :evil:

Lzen
01-09-2020, 08:55 AM
Braun has to be the most pleasant surprise so far. I figured he would be good, but not this early.

He reminds me of Svi as a sophomore. Always making the right play and a dangerous deep threat off the bench. He’s going to be a special player for us.

I really like what this kid is doing. I didn't expect that he would play like an upperclassman. He's very solid and makes plays when he needs to.

smithandrew051
01-09-2020, 09:25 AM
That McCormack dunk looks crazy in slow motion:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KUHoops/status/1215109357358051328

Shades of the T Rob alley oop from Tyshawn in 2012 against Baylor. Best dunk I’ve ever seen live for sure. That place went crazy.

DJJasonp
01-09-2020, 09:38 AM
the fan reactions behind the hoop are fantastic!

cmh6476
01-09-2020, 10:01 AM
why the hell is ESPN making it so hard to watch these game? I went to bdubs here in St. Joe last night and they couldn't even get it. Really frustrating. I guess I could pay for espn+ and cast it to my tv, but why make it so damn difficult?

Imon Yourside
01-09-2020, 10:02 AM
That McCormack dunk looks crazy in slow motion:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KUHoops/status/1215109357358051328

Shades of the T Rob alley oop from Tyshawn in 2012 against Baylor. Best dunk I’ve ever seen live for sure. That place went crazy.

Still my 2 favorites were Milt Newton over the top of Quinn Snyder and Julian Wright dunk over the Missouri player. Mind you I didn't see the Wright dunk live courtside but these are my 2 favorite Jayhawks ever.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qmC9TbOBdmk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Milts dunk isn't on youtube but he along with Julian were the best to wear the uni dunkwise

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lE_i8_DOLkM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lawrenceRaider
01-09-2020, 10:14 AM
why the hell is ESPN making it so hard to watch these game? I went to bdubs here in St. Joe last night and they couldn't even get it. Really frustrating. I guess I could pay for espn+ and cast it to my tv, but why make it so damn difficult?

It isn't hard. It's actually really, really easy, and cheap. $5/month. Every streaming device has it available as an App.

Mr. Plow
01-09-2020, 10:52 AM
It isn't hard. It's actually really, really easy, and cheap. $5/month. Every streaming device has it available as an App.

I get what you are saying. I pay for ESPN+ at home.

However, a few of us guys usually get together to watch every KU game somewhere. The issue is that very few places have ESPN+ in my small ass town. 2 places to be specific. The only decent sports bar we have in town is Buffalo Wild Wings which doesn't have ESPN+. So we can't just go anywhere to watch it like we could in years past. So this year, we generally watch at home.

KC_Connection
01-09-2020, 11:01 AM
So that you subscribe to ESPN+. They know KU fans will pay to watch so they’ve put a bunch on there exclusively.

They don’t have ESPN+ in Canada so they’ve basically screwed me entirely (not that there aren’t always other means of watching).

O.city
01-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Ku's big recruit is coming to Springfield to play in the big Bass Pro tourney next weekend. From Tulsa I think?

DanBecky
01-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Ku's big recruit is coming to Springfield to play in the big Bass Pro tourney next weekend. From Tulsa I think?

Bryce Thompson I believe.

Chief Pagan
01-09-2020, 03:30 PM

The streaming fragmentation is annoying.

Oh you also want to watch the Monday road games?

That will be a separate monthly subscription to

ESPNatFUC-YOU@monopolyAreUs

BWillie
01-09-2020, 04:14 PM
I really don't care about 4.99. i care about convenience and exposure. If ESPN+ was on par with Netflix as far as subscribers it would be great. The issue is National exposure to recruits and the casual fan. In the past KU vs WVU or ISU is on at most sports bars around the country. Now its a niche market game only...which hurts our exposure both with recruits and our brand. And yes the KU brand is important

Buehler445
01-09-2020, 04:28 PM
I really don't care about 4.99. i care about convenience and exposure. If ESPN+ was on par with Netflix as far as subscribers it would be great. The issue is National exposure to recruits and the casual fan. In the past KU vs WVU or ISU is on at most sports bars around the country. Now its a niche market game only...which hurts our exposure both with recruits and our brand. And yes the KU brand is important

Excellent point

saphojunkie
01-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Well it's a good thing it's bundled with Disney+, because that IS going to be on par with Netflix subscription. 12.99 a month is Disney (Marvel, Pixar, Nat Geo, Simpsons, Star Wars), Hulu, and ESPN.

If you haven't done this already, my god... get on it. Mandalorian alone was worth it.

PHOG
01-11-2020, 10:51 AM
Game today @ noon on CBS, Baylor vs KU....#4 vs #3.

Should be a good game. :thumb:

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 10:52 AM
This is a huge game for the Conference. We either go up a game on everyone who matters...or we’re down a game to Baylor and still have to go there.

Kiimo
01-11-2020, 12:11 PM
Marcus giveth and taketh away

PHOG
01-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Sloppy sloppy sloppy early.

Kiimo
01-11-2020, 12:13 PM
It's like oh it's gonna be one of those high turnover games great

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Doke or McCormack is gonna be guarded by a 6’5” guard on every possession. We need to take advantage.

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 12:23 PM
These entry passes are killing me

Kiimo
01-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Moss light coming on it looks like

BWillie
01-11-2020, 12:27 PM
These entry passes are killing me

That's why you don't play through the post. It's a high risk of turn over, to only make two points.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Our defense is suffocating Baylor for the most part. Moss heating up. Need to get that guy more looks.

Kiimo
01-11-2020, 12:31 PM
lmao at that three attempt

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Moss looks great so far

PHOG
01-11-2020, 12:38 PM
FT's! :doh!:

Kiimo
01-11-2020, 12:45 PM
De Sousa might not turn it on until March. Disappointing

BWillie
01-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Danger zone for KU right now. 5th TO or so trying to feed the post as your #1 offensive option. It's 2020 Self.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 12:50 PM
This game is over. Scott Drew has finally figured out running an effective man to man defense is better than a shitty zone.

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 12:52 PM
We look soft as hell right now

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Home crowd is out of it. You can hear “B U” louder than our fans.

Chiefspants
01-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Home crowd is out of it. You can hear “B U” louder than our fans.

We're getting our asses kicked, that's going to happen to the home crowd.

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 01:09 PM
We’re done in this one if Dotson can’t go

BWillie
01-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Running hook from 15 feet from Doke. Almost airball.

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Running hook from 15 feet from Doke. Almost airball.

He needs to retire that one

Buehler445
01-11-2020, 01:17 PM
Do we know what dotsons injury is? If it’s a hip flexor we might be fucked for awhile.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Do we know what dotsons injury is? If it’s a hip flexor we might be ****ed for awhile.

Looks like something he may just need to sit out a game or two. I know these things. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 01:31 PM
If we had 30 time outs, we should have a great offense. 30 set plays for free points drawn up by HCBS

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 01:32 PM
Dotson checking back in

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 01:42 PM
4 offensive rebounds and a bucket. One team wants it.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Perhaps we can still get a #2 seed.

PHOG
May as well send Dotson to the locker room now. Start the PT.

smithandrew051
You could make the argument that we lost to worse teams against Duke and Nova. You cannot make the argument that Kansas is better than Baylor though.

Baylor absolutely should win the conference.

ROYC75
01-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Piss poor defense by KU and turnovers, law of averages is going to catch up to KU

PHOG
01-11-2020, 01:49 PM
Piss poor defense by KU and turnovers, law of averages is going to catch up to KU
Yep, it was 19-2 pts of TOs....hard to overcome.

ROYC75
01-11-2020, 01:49 PM
You could make the argument that we lost to worse teams against Duke and Nova. You cannot make the argument that Kansas is better than Baylor though.

Just one game Grasshopper, just one game.

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 01:51 PM
We were spoiled for a long fucking time. It’s weird to see us not be the best Big 12 team in back to back years. Probably for the first time since 2000 and 2001 when Iowa State won the conference in consecutive years.

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Just one game Grasshopper, just one game.

Kind of. It’s a home loss to the other major contender. We still have to go there and nothing from this game would lead you to believe this Kansas team is beating this Baylor team on the road.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 01:54 PM

Baylor does look better than Duke and Villanova.

KC_Connection
01-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Stuck in Chicago for hours trying to get to this Chiefs game tomorrow so haven't been able to watch. This looks awful. As good as the defense may be, the offense is still an issue.

KC_Connection
01-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Perhaps we can still get a #2 seed.
Aren't they like 1st or 2nd in NET rating? I think a #2 seed is basically a guarantee if things continue to go as they are. There simply aren't any other good teams in the NCAA.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Aren't they like 1st or 2nd in NET rating? I think a #2 seed is basically a guarantee if things continue to go as they are. There simply aren't any other good teams in the NCAA.

I guess what I should say is I'm confident we'll be a #2. Not confident in a #1 yet.

smithandrew051
01-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Stuck in Chicago for hours trying to get to this Chiefs game tomorrow so haven't been able to watch. This looks awful. As good as the defense may be, the offense is still an issue.

You may want to skip this one. Trust me.

ROYC75
01-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Kind of. It’s a home loss to the other major contender. We still have to go there and nothing from this game would lead you to believe this Kansas team is beating this Baylor team on the road.

We are better than we are showing, out of Control, turnovers,losing Dotson ..... all things that is the reason this game was a dude. Baylor has never won here, they wanted it and KU went through the motions of, we are KU,we don't lose at home and got their ass whooped! Baylors smaller offense moved the ball around better getting better shots

Can KU win at Baylor? No question, yes, but not playing this way....this best be a wake up call.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Baylor is impressive.

sedated
01-11-2020, 02:04 PM
Tip of the hat to Baylor, that was an ass whooping from 8 min left in the 1st.

Worrisome that Marcus f-ing Garrett was the only guy stepping up on offense.

TrebMaxx
01-11-2020, 02:17 PM

You should consider taking the train. It's a little over a 7hr trip, Chicago to KC, but is not as much a hassle as flying when the weather sucks.

KC_Connection
01-11-2020, 02:27 PM
You should consider taking the train. It's a little over a 7hr trip, Chicago to KC, but is not as much a hassle as flying when the weather sucks.
I will keep that in mind for next time, would have been much preferable right now.

KC_Connection
01-11-2020, 02:28 PM
You may want to skip this one. Trust me.
I have no real willingness to watch KU lose at home to Scott Drew.

ROYC75
01-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Baylor is impressive.

Ideed.

ROYC75
01-11-2020, 02:59 PM
Tip of the hat to Baylor, that was an ass whooping from 8 min left in the 1st.

Worrisome that Marcus f-ing Garrett was the only guy stepping up on offense.

1st half, Moss, then what?

Titty Meat
01-11-2020, 03:12 PM
Baylor reminds me of Texas Tech from last year except Texas Tech got their ass whooped in Lawrence.

Buehler445
01-11-2020, 04:52 PM
First time in Scott Drew’s career the team played sound team defense.

Demonpenz
01-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Baylor had some men on their team and their passing was very good. They also played defense and make shots.

ChiefsFanatic
01-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Baylor had some men on their team and their passing was very good. They also played defense and make shots.

The effort from Kansas was pathetic. They didn't hustle at all, and acted like they were going to beat Baylor just by showing up. It was very disappointing to see that kind of effort this late into the year.

As great as everyone wants to say Devon Dotson is, and he is very good, he just doesn't have that alpha point guard energy like Mason or Graham. Then add Dotson's injury to the injury that was clearly affecting Garrett's play today, and it was just the worst day for this team to show without any effort or heart.

Demonpenz
01-11-2020, 07:59 PM
The effort from Kansas was pathetic. They didn't hustle at all, and acted like they were going to beat Baylor just by showing up. It was very disappointing to see that kind of effort this late into the year.

As great as everyone wants to say Devon Dotson is, and he is very good, he just doesn't have that alpha point guard energy like Mason or Graham. Then add Dotson's injury to the injury that was clearly affecting Garrett's play today, and it was just the worst day for this team to show without any effort or heart.

hip injuries are god awful but yeah he doesn't have the dick swag that those two did.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 08:20 PM

There may have been effort lacking towards the end of the game once they were down big time but they gave great effort most of the game. No idea what you are talking about. I thought our defense was pretty strong for most of the first half. Baylor was very methodical. They have some really good guards. Every time a team loses it is not about effort, it almost always, has nothing to do with it.

ChiefsFanatic
01-11-2020, 09:04 PM
hip injuries are god awful but yeah he doesn't have the dick swag that those two did.He doesn't lead or command the team. At least outwardly it doesn't appear that he is leading the team. And Garrett isn't really vocal either.

ChiefsFanatic
01-11-2020, 09:12 PM
There may have been effort lacking towards the end of the game once they were down big time but they gave great effort most of the game. No idea what you are talking about. I thought our defense was pretty strong for most of the first half. Baylor was very methodical. They have some really good guards. Every time a team loses it is not about effort, it almost always, has nothing to do with it.What are you talking about? Baylor had a 19-4 run at the end of the first half where we basically just stood around and let them get whatever they wanted. Now, Baylor did hit a couple of guarded threes. Well, guarded in the sense that a Jayhawk was close to them when they shot the ball.

Their undersized front line made Dok, McCormack, and Silvio look slow and weak most of the game.

The only player that seemed to play well on defense was Dok, but that only lasted about a 12 minute stretch in the first half. Then Dok got so worn out battling for position, just to not get the ball, and then he kinda gassed out.

This team's identity is defense, and we saw today what happens when the defensive effort isn't there.

BWillie
01-11-2020, 11:30 PM
What are you talking about? Baylor had a 19-4 run at the end of the first half where we basically just stood around and let them get whatever they wanted. Now, Baylor did hit a couple of guarded threes. Well, guarded in the sense that a Jayhawk was close to them when they shot the ball.

Their undersized front line made Dok, McCormack, and Silvio look slow and weak most of the game.

The only player that seemed to play well on defense was Dok, but that only lasted about a 12 minute stretch in the first half. Then Dok got so worn out battling for position, just to not get the ball, and then he kinda gassed out.

This team's identity is defense, and we saw today what happens when the defensive effort isn't there.

Well shit man if it was all about effort why don't they just recruit those 5 foot 7 inch kids that try real hard? I always get a kick out of ppl who think effort is the reason D1 and pro teams lose at sports. It is 99% NEVER about effort.

ROYC75
01-11-2020, 11:47 PM
Well shit man if it was all about effort why don't they just recruit those 5 foot 7 inch kids that try real hard? I always get a kick out of ppl who think effort is the reason D1 and pro teams lose at sports. It is 99% NEVER about effort.

Very seldom do we ever disagree, but I respectfully disagree, teams do lose because of lack of effort. Usually its rolled into a coach just saying we weren't prepared or wasn't ready. Many times a coach will shield a teams lack of effort by saying one of the other or by saying we weren't very good. FTR, Self has ridiculed his team in the press by saying lack of effort was part of the overall problem, along with other areas of concern.

Prison Bitch
01-13-2020, 12:11 PM
This might be the best team in KU history.

That’s not a joke either. They really might be.

smithandrew051
01-14-2020, 09:51 PM
Nice 15 point road conference win without Dotson. They could’ve packed it in tonight, but they showed some real grit. Very nice showing.

Trent Green GOAT
01-14-2020, 09:53 PM

You feel that great about them?

BWillie
01-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Big Doke has improved so much defensively this year. He was guarding some guards tonight and staying with them ever step of the way. Better rebounder too. He could always score and get buckets, it was the other stuff he wasn't very good at.

Chief Pagan
01-14-2020, 10:30 PM

I'm not seeing that. But KU is very good in a year when no one else looks dominant.

1997 team is the best since I've been watching.

BWillie
01-14-2020, 10:46 PM
This team is better than that Robinson + Tyshawn team that made the Championship game. That team was one of the more overrated KU teams IMO. Just because they made the Championship game, doesn't mean they are one of the best KU teams. Because they were an extremely flawed team.

smithandrew051
01-14-2020, 10:51 PM
This team is better than that Robinson + Tyshawn team that made the Championship game. That team was one of the more overrated KU teams IMO. Just because they made the Championship game, doesn't mean they are one of the best KU teams. Because they were an extremely flawed team.

I’ll agree. That team had a couple stars, but zero bench and little outside shooting.

The starters played great defense though and Tyshawn/T Rob made huge plays when we needed it.

As far as Self teams go, I’d have to say 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2016, and 2017 were all definitively better than this one.

Prison Bitch
01-14-2020, 11:32 PM
You feel that great about them?

They don’t pass my “eye test” for dominance (although I stand by my point all year which is we are as good as anyone)....... but my eyes are no match for hard data. And in SRS (how many pts +/- than avg team) we are an astounding +27.

Let me repeat that: +27. Just ahead of 2008 +26 and 1997 *25.

Prison Bitch
01-14-2020, 11:33 PM
I'm not seeing that. But KU is very good in a year when no one else looks dominant.

1997 team is the best since I've been watching.

That’s the key point

Buehler445
01-15-2020, 10:44 AM

That team was really bad. What TRob and Taylor did to get that team as far is it did is no short of spectacular.

smithandrew051
01-15-2020, 10:51 AM
They don’t pass my “eye test” for dominance (although I stand by my point all year which is we are as good as anyone)....... but my eyes are no match for hard data. And in SRS (how many pts +/- than avg team) we are an astounding +27.

Let me repeat that: +27. Just ahead of 2008 +26 and 1997 *25.

That’s a crazy stat. I never would’ve guessed that.

Pablo
01-18-2020, 01:14 PM
That lob just a minute ago was the sickest thing I've seen this year. Just awesome.

smithandrew051
01-18-2020, 01:16 PM
That lob just a minute ago was the sickest thing I've seen this year. Just awesome.

I thought for sure that was overthrown and gonna be a turnover.

McCormack has competition for dunk of the year now.

Pablo
01-18-2020, 01:17 PM
I thought for sure that was overthrown and gonna be a turnover.

McCormack has competition for dunk of the year now.

Yeah me too. They were both pretty amazing though.

BWillie
01-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Texas can't miss from 3. Can't make anything from 2.

sedated
01-18-2020, 03:12 PM
I can't even count the number of times Ive heard "winning despite not playing your best game"

sedated
01-18-2020, 03:17 PM
That team was really bad. What TRob and Taylor did to get that team as far is it did is no short of spectacular.

Eh, 2012 wasnt too far off from this team, played great defense and let the (2nd) best player in America dominate.

2012 definitely struggled at times, a lot due to Tyshawn taking forever to pull his immature head out of his ass, and having ZERO bench, but we might forget how good guys like Releford and Withey were on the defensive end, and how amazing TRob was.

Prison Bitch
01-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Gotta shoot the 3 to win in today’s game / kcconection

Kansas 2-10 from deep in road win. 40-29 boards edge tho.

In other news Dok is the #1 efficiency player at +15.5 pts/100 possessions. Last year Zion cracked 20, but most years leader is in the Dok range. He’s been incredible.

KC_Connection
01-18-2020, 05:15 PM
Gotta shoot the 3 to win in today’s game / kcconection

Kansas 2-10 from deep in road win. 40-29 boards edge tho.

In other news Dok is the #1 efficiency player at +15.5 pts/100 possessions. Last year Zion cracked 20, but most years leader is in the Dok range. He’s been incredible.
KU being the best defensive team in the Self era has a little more to do with their success right now than their offense (which again could still use more 3PAs; 3s being more valuable than 2s is a fact that isn't changing any time soon).

KC_Connection
01-18-2020, 05:19 PM
https://pasteboard.co/IQBr1DO.png

Imagine this team's defense with the 3PT shooting offense of 2017.

Prison Bitch
01-18-2020, 05:29 PM
KU being the best defensive team in the Self era has a little more to do with their success right now than their offense (which again could still use more 3PAs; 3s being more valuable than 2s is a fact that isn't changing any time soon).

All things being equal. They rarely are tho. Here’s our national ranking:

2 pt FG %: 6th
3 pt FG %: 48th
FT %: 300th

We want to shoot a lot of 2pt, some 3pt, and no FT

smithandrew051
01-18-2020, 05:58 PM
All things being equal. They rarely are tho. Here’s our national ranking:

2 pt FG %: 6th
3 pt FG %: 48th
FT %: 300th

We want to shoot a lot of 2pt, some 3pt, and no FT

Dotson is pretty much our only reliable FT shooter. I’d like to see him learn to body seek like Frank Mason used to. He could bail us out of bad possessions at the end of the shot clock. Dotson could take his game to another level with that skill.

smithandrew051
01-18-2020, 05:59 PM
https://pasteboard.co/IQBr1DO.png

Imagine this team's defense with the 3PT shooting offense of 2017.

We’d probably go undefeated

ChiefsFanatic
01-18-2020, 09:13 PM

That’s not a joke either. They really might be.1997 and 2008 are the best KU teams that I have ever seen, and I watched my first KU game in the 1984-1985 season.

Pants
01-18-2020, 09:23 PM
1997 and 2008 are the best KU teams that I have ever seen, and I watched my first KU game in the 1984-1985 season.

I think 2010 was better than 2008. The UNI loss is the worst of all time. I don't care what people think of 1997.

Chief Pagan
01-18-2020, 09:59 PM
1997 and 2008 are the best KU teams that I have ever seen, and I watched my first KU game in the 1984-1985 season.

I remember Danny as a freshman. Danny and the miracles would probably have lost to OU in 88 final if it was a seven game series. Of course, that 97 team would have won it all if each round was seven.

RaidersOftheCellar
01-18-2020, 10:59 PM
I don’t care what the numbers show...this team is nowhere close to KU’s best.

I do think they have a good shot to win it all though.

ChiefsFanatic
01-18-2020, 11:01 PM
I think 2010 was better than 2008. The UNI loss is the worst of all time. I don't care what people think of 1997.2010 was also a great team. I would still take 2008 over that 2010 team though. Shady was only a sophomore, Cole and Sherron were freshman, and Mario was a junior. I have always wondered if they had all come back ala Florida, if they would have beat North Carolina the next year to repeat.

I think the 2008 team was better defensively, with Mario and Russ being the best defensive guard duo in KU history. And I think as a team they were better overall from the outside.

The 1997 loss hurt me more than the UNI loss, because although Arizona beat 3 #1 seeds that year, KU was absolutely the best team in the country, and it really wasn't close. And honestly, we had just won the NC in 2008, so I think that fact helped ease the pain of that particular loss.

sedated
01-19-2020, 12:42 PM

2002 always seems to be forgotten because they couldnt get passed Maryland. Gooden, Collison, Simien, Hinrich, Boschee, Miles, Langford

smithandrew051
01-19-2020, 12:47 PM
Had Doke not gotten hurt, I think 2017 would’ve won it all. Lucas got bullied all game against Oregon by Jordan Bell. Doke could’ve changed that. That team was otherwise loaded.

sedated
01-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Had Doke not gotten hurt, I think 2017 would’ve won it all. Lucas got bullied all game against Oregon by Jordan Bell. Doke could’ve changed that. That team was otherwise loaded.

Mason/Graham/Jackson not getting to a F4 is a travesty.

Prison Bitch
01-19-2020, 01:18 PM
I think 2010 was better than 2008. 7.

Why? What evidence is there of that? No analytics say it.

Prison Bitch
01-19-2020, 01:22 PM

I sat 10 rows off the court at the 08 FF. Those games had some serious Royal Ass Pimps playing. Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collisin, Derrick Rose, DouglasRoberts, Hansbrough, Danny Green, Ty Lawson.

And we were better. Just think about that.

Chiefspants
01-20-2020, 05:36 AM
I remember Danny as a freshman. Danny and the miracles would probably have lost to OU in 88 final if it was a seven game series. Of course, that 97 team would have won it all if each round was seven.

From everything I grew up hearing from KU and OU fans, the Hawks may have lost that 7 game series 4-1.

Prison Bitch
01-20-2020, 08:21 AM
Well they lost by 8 both reg season games so.

Unc is 1-5 in ACC, 8-9 overall. Pomeroy picking them 15-17. Wonder how our fans would act if that happened to KU

Buehler445
01-20-2020, 09:10 AM
Well they lost by 8 both reg season games so.

Unc is 1-5 in ACC, 8-9 overall. Pomeroy picking them 15-17. Wonder how our fans would act if that happened to KU

The melt down would be spectacular. Myself included.

But if Roy was here it would just be one of those Roy took the year off kind of years he was prone to.

Mr. Plow
01-20-2020, 01:08 PM
The melt down would be spectacular. Myself included.

But if Roy was here it would just be one of those Roy took the year off kind of years he was prone to.

Last week I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything of UNC this year. Haven't worried too much about college bball right now because of the Chiefs, so I thought I'd just missed all the talk.

Then I flip on ESPN on Saturday to see UNC was 8-8 overall & 1-4 in conference and getting their butts handed to them at Pitt. Once again, I was grateful for the consistently great program Bill Self & KU have. Our down years have been nothing compared to the down years of UK or UNC.

sedated
01-21-2020, 07:59 PM
I guess we can expect some suspensions from the end of that KU/K-Stae game. SDS went all WWF (WWE?)

Titty Meat
01-21-2020, 08:14 PM
Literally the only thing that could stop this team from going far. Come on kiddo.

Lzen
01-21-2020, 08:15 PM
Yeah, wtf is wrong with that guy? I don't even mind him standing over that little punk that stole the ball. But that was as far as it should go. However, it looked like some other ksu player took exception to that and maybe pushed Dsouza over a chair.

ROYC75
01-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Holy Cow, what a sad ending that was to a basketball game that wasn't even close.

Just plum stupid by all players from both teams.

Titty Meat
01-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Yeah, wtf is wrong with that guy? I don't even mind him standing over that little punk that stole the ball. But that was as far as it should go. However, it looked like some other ksu player took exception to that and maybe pushed Dsouza over a chair.

The announcers said Souza threw punches? I didnt see that it looked like a KSU player ran up and tried? I saw him pick up the chair?

sedated
01-21-2020, 08:27 PM
At least SDS didnt actually hit anyone with that chair. Punches were thrown but even after watching all the replays it was tough to see everyone who did, it was chaos.

smithandrew051
01-21-2020, 08:28 PM
The announcers said Souza threw punches? I didnt see that it looked like a KSU player ran up and tried? I saw him pick up the chair?

My wife and I watched the replay several times.

De Sousa threw punches. McCormack ran into the middle and tried to throw punches. Garrett got in the middle of it too, but you couldn’t tell what he did.

My guess is De Sousa is off the team. Garrett and McCormack might get suspended.

CasselGotPeedOn
01-21-2020, 08:28 PM
De Sousa definitely threw a punch. I don't think he threw the first one, but he definitely did. It looked like Jeremy Case grabbed the chair out of his hands at the last second.

smithandrew051
01-21-2020, 08:29 PM
The K State guy in street clothes was really stirring it up. He was probably talking a lot of shit throughout the game.

ChiefsCountry
01-21-2020, 08:29 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">IT’S GETTING ROWDY IN KANSAS (via <a href="https://twitter.com/Riley_Gates?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@riley_gates</a>) <a href="https://t.co/1IYNW0z8oB">pic.twitter.com/1IYNW0z8oB</a></p>&mdash; Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1219803295881007104?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 22, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiefsCountry
01-21-2020, 08:30 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ugly fight erupts at the end of the Kansas State-Kansas game.<br><br>(via <a href="https://twitter.com/espn?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@espn</a>)<a href="https://t.co/OwonUsHVVF">pic.twitter.com/OwonUsHVVF</a></p>&mdash; Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1219803362302025731?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 22, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WilliamTheIrish
01-21-2020, 08:31 PM
That was a straight up brawl. All over a GD block and a little gamesmanship.

Nice job controlling the guys, Bruce.