PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs If the Chiefs go 8-8 or better 49ers get a 2nd round pick.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I think there is a LOT of reasons why Alex Smith went from bust to serviceable.

First and foremost, the coaches being able to put Alex Smith in a position to play to his strengths. The previous staffs didnt do that. Singletary, nor Nolan. They had what they wanted, and didnt care if the qb was capable of doing it.

Second, I think the advancement of talent helped quite a bit around alex smith. and thirdly, i think that the defense being used correctly, was the biggest contribution to alex smith, knowing that they didnt have to score on every possession, reduced the risk factor for alex smith, and allowed the other parts of the team to carry the burden. Im not blind, nor stupid. i know that David Akers had to have a career year with 44 fgm, and i know that the defense, and special teams broke records. Alex Smith was simply a part of the solution, but he wasnt part of the problem. Same Theory goes here.

I dont think he is comfortable being the guy that would have to average 38 throws a game. Its not his DNA. The biggest advantage to i believe making a qb is by playing to their strengths. The winning franchises seem to do that quite well. Is that not agreeable?

I agree with you 100%. Harbaugh went to MartyBall and that's a system Alex can work in. It sent Steve Bono to a probowl. I just don't see the Andy Reid going full Marty and I don't think our defense is anywhere near the 49er defense. Too many questions up front.

Mav
05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I agree, he likely is Trent Green likable without the Trent Green passing ability.

Not this year, no. They can't do it by themselves, but you don't need the full compliment of surronding pieces either with guys like those.

Its true. Its also why those three guys, make top dollar. They cant afford to keep the pieces, like having someone like an alex smith allows you to do. Its give and take. It really is.....Can you imagine how differnet the 49ers are going to look, when they have to pay Kaep next season? And look at how different the Ravens are now because of the contract they paid joe.

The good thing about alex, is he is team first, hes also average, so he doesnt have to command top dollar, so you can keep guys like bowe, and albert.

Mav
05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
If Alex Smith converted a damn 3rd down against the Giants, Kyle Williams fumble doesn't matter. Its as ****ing stupid as blaming L i n Elliot missing kicks in the playoff game against the Colts. Don't make special teams win you playoff games. Its a sure bet method to lose.

who was he supposed to be completing them to? They CRUSHED crabtree, he couldnt get open, they doubled Vernon Davis all game. Ginn was out, Edwards h ad been cut, Josh morgan got hurt in week 8. Who was he supposed to throw to? Kyle Williams have 3 fumbles in that game. Swain, and hastings were his other options. WHO, WAS HE SUPPOSED TO THROW TO. The Giants dropped 7 into coverage every play. They dismantled every single team they played in the playoffs, including Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers, in much better playing conditions, and they held the falcons offense scoreless. With all of their weapons. I have no problems giving alex smith part of the blame for that loss. Fine, 1/13, i get it. He didnt turn the ball over, and he had the 49ers in position to win the game. Not much more you could of asked from him.....

the irony of this sentiment. He didnt take ANY UNNECESSARY SACKS, just threw the ball away,a nd people still crush him for it. Cute.

patteeu
05-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I was referring to when he played for the Chiefs, but of coursed you know that. You know when all the fans wanted him to start the playoff game instead? The guy everyone wanted to bring back instead of Elvis?

Yes, I know what you had in mind, but that's the wrong analogy. We're talking about guys who have had a number of starts elsewhere who are brought in to be the starter and who go on to surpass their previous achievements. In the Rich Gannon story, the Raiders are the team that did what the Chiefs are doing with Alex Smith now. They took a guy with 59 mostly unremarkable starts who had been playing well in the previous couple of years to be their new QB of the Present.

But even if we back up to the time period that you're talking about, when Chiefs fans were calling for him to start the playoff game and wanted him to come back instead of Grbac, we're still talking about 59 starts because that was at the end of his Chiefs career.

ayleswbj
05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Those guys all turned out to be late bloomers once they were given the chance. Alice had 8 years of chances since he was pick 1,1. If he was picked anywhere else he may very well be out of the league right now. That stats tell us what Alex is and that's a guy you want throwing the ball about 20-23 times a game. That's something a lot of guys can be successful doing and not someone you give up 2 2nd over. That's just ****ing stupid.

This is so asinine, They all had the chance. They didnt get it done for whatever reason. Injuries, stuck behind a pro-bowler, wrong system or just plain sucked in the beginning. Trent Green was terrible, he was cut from the Canadian league for god sakes. You can say Alex didnt have a chance as well with all that went on out there the first 5 seasons. You know the list, its been well documented. Im not talking about stats. Im talking organizational disfunction and deep lack of talent. If all the qbs can be successfull throwing 20-23 times a game then why isnt everyone doin it? If the stats say its the way to go then what are all the GMs thinking? Im just making the argument that KC may also have a true late bloomer regardless of how long hes been on the field. I cant totally agree with you that its rare for it to happen, but for you stat loving posters. The stats say he has gotten significantly better in almost every category especially the one that matters. WINS!!

ChiefsCountry
05-08-2013, 12:31 PM
who was he supposed to be completing them to? They CRUSHED crabtree, he couldnt get open, they doubled Vernon Davis all game. Ginn was out, Edwards h ad been cut, Josh morgan got hurt in week 8. Who was he supposed to throw to? Kyle Williams have 3 fumbles in that game. Swain, and hastings were his other options. WHO, WAS HE SUPPOSED TO THROW TO. The Giants dropped 7 into coverage every play. They dismantled every single team they played in the playoffs, including Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers, in much better playing conditions, and they held the falcons offense scoreless. With all of their weapons. I have no problems giving alex smith part of the blame for that loss. Fine, 1/13, i get it. He didnt turn the ball over, and he had the 49ers in position to win the game. Not much more you could of asked from him.....

the irony of this sentiment. He didnt take ANY UNNECESSARY SACKS, just threw the ball away,a nd people still crush him for it. Cute.

Franchise quarterbacks make plays. Alex Smith isn't a franchise quarterback you fucking Alex Smith cunt licker.

ayleswbj
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I agree with you 100%. Harbaugh went to MartyBall and that's a system Alex can work in. It sent Steve Bono to a probowl. I just don't see the Andy Reid going full Marty and I don't think our defense is anywhere near the 49er defense. Too many questions up front.

Harbaugh never went to Marty Ball. He has been running the same offense as he always has. He did not change a thing, still the same Stanford offense he has always been doing that he has innovated from Bo Schembechler. Hec everyone keeps saying they run the read option now, its just not true. Yes they have read option wrinkles, but it will always be a power based offense centered around the running game. He had adrew luck only throwing 25 times a game as well. Maybe thats Alex's best offense, i dont know. If he is asked to throw it 35 times, i think he can. The chiefs have to good of a running game to have a pass first offense though

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Harbaugh never went to Marty Ball. He has been running the same offense as he always has. He did not change a thing, still the same Stanford offense he has always been doing that he has innovated from Bo Schembechler. Hec everyone keeps saying they run the read option now, its just not true. Yes they have read option wrinkles, but it will always be a power based offense centered around the running game. He had adrew luck only throwing 25 times a game as well. Maybe thats Alex's best offense, i dont know. If he is asked to throw it 35 times, i think he can. The chiefs have to good of a running game to have a pass first offense though

Yes. I meant when Harbaugh came in that's what they ran as opposed to previous coaches which in turn resulted in fewer attempts.

History says if he is asked to throw 35 times a game. It's going to fail. The question is will Reid play to the teams strengths and avoid its weakness or will he run his same pass happy system.

-King-
05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Trent Green's forte was short to intermediate passing also. He was no great shakes at the long ball.

And Green threw a shit ton more intermediate balls than Alex Smith did. Even Cassel did. Alex Smith was the most risk averse starter in the league the past 2 years.

Rausch
05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Alex Smith was the most risk averse starter in the league the past 2 years.

This...

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
If all the qbs can be successfull throwing 20-23 times a game then why isnt everyone doin it?

Because they don't have an defense and running game to win doing that like Alice had? The Chiefs tried that this year with no defense and what happened? They went 2-14. It worked for Marty when he could run the ball and take the ball away. But you have to have all the other pieces in place to dink and dunk 20 times a game.

Allowing 17 pts/game gives you more options on offense than giving up 26pt/game.

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 01:16 PM
The team doesn't need a rebuild like it did when Herm took over. And this isn't a band aid approach. It's time to start winning. The window is opening, not closing.

Not true.

The window is open. But it will be closing by 2014. This team isn't as young as you think it is, not by a long shot. The window was opening when Scooter took over the reigns and drove the team into a mountain.

4 years later all the young talent that came in over the last couple years of Herm's time here is approaching the end of their prime years.

This isn't a team that should be rebuilding, but it's definitely a team that should be operating with the knowledge that a rebuild will be necessary by 2015. And honestly, looking at this draft, I think that's exactly what they did. They went after Smith knowing that they need some base-level competency at the position in order to take advantage of the primes of their best players. They then used the rest of the draft on picks that many of us see as somewhat redundant picks, but on BPA guys that they realize will probably be needed to step in sooner than you think.

As I've taken a longer look at this draft, I think they did a very smart thing in how they approached it. This team isn't a young team anymore and Reid/Dorsey wisely approached it as a team starting from scratch.

patteeu
05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
And Green threw a shit ton more intermediate balls than Alex Smith did. Even Cassel did. Alex Smith was the most risk averse starter in the league the past 2 years.

Cassel should have been more risk averse.

Trent Green played in an Air Coryell offense. Alex Smith played for a coach who wanted to run the ball, avoid turnovers, and rely on good defense. I don't know why the number of throws or the yardage stats matter so much given the vastly different circumstances.

Alex Smith is the love child of Trent Green and Rich Gannon. He's smart, mobile, has a fine arm, and all the leadership charisma you could want. He may or may not pan out as the Chiefs starter, but the people writing him off already are delusional.

BossChief
05-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Yeah.

Jim Harbaugh wants to Run the ball and avoid turnovers....until he made the switch to a quarterback he wasn't limited to that kind of attack with.

Kaepernick averaged a hundred more offensive yards per game than Alex Smith WITH THE SAME TEAM AROUND HIM.

-King-
05-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Cassel should have been more risk averse.

Trent Green played in an Air Coryell offense. Alex Smith played for a coach who wanted to run the ball, avoid turnovers, and rely on good defense. I don't know why the number of throws or the yardage stats matter so much given the vastly different circumstances. .

Why do you think Harbaugh chose to run that system? Was it to troll Alex Smith? Why do you think that when Kaerpernick came in, they threw the ball deep more often?

Obviously Harbaugh trusted one QB to throw the ball deep more than the other. Or are you saying he's stupid and didn't use Alex Smith correctly?

-King-
05-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah.

Jim Harbaugh wants to Run the ball and avoid turnovers....until he made the switch to a quarterback he wasn't limited to that kind of attack with.

Kaepernick averaged a hundred more offensive yards per game than Alex Smith WITH THE SAME TEAM AROUND HIM.

Same time :)

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Same time :)

Also known as a double clothes line.

-King-
05-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Number of passes over 10 yards:

In 7 starts Kaerpernick had 81

In 9 starts, Smith had 56

Passes over 20 yards:

Kaepernick: 31

Alex Smith: 17

el borracho
05-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Ah, I see the usual litany of excuses, what-ifs and crys that it was everyone else's fault. If only we would judge Smith on individual performance we would feel differently.

Ok, let's examine Smith's individual performance...

At his very best, Smith has produced:
About 200 yards per game and a personal record of 18 touchdowns in a season. I'm not sure how anyone can judge this production as anything other than pathetic in today's NFL. Smith doesn't even make the list for single-season passing touchdowns. He isn't even tied for 229th on the list... he doesn't appear anywhere on the list. In fact, doubling Smith's best year would only tie him for 16th on the list of single-season passing touchdowns. You would have to nearly triple his production to jump to 1st on that list. Tell me again why I should be excited to have a player like Smith at a cost of two very high draft picks.

Smith may be good enough to not lose games, but he is nowhere near good enough to carry a team to a Super Bowl. Smith is not a playmaker; he is the guy who will likely be just good enough to prevent the Chiefs from drafting a legit QB.

MagicHef
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
We might as well plan on sending the second rounder. Alex is going to Dominate this year as the Chiefs go 12-4 for the division title.

This trade is a steal for us. Only giving a couple of 2nd rounders for this guy was a joke-We get a #1 franchise quarterback that will lead us to Multiple Superbowl wins.

Best trade Chiefs ever made.

All the Naysayers and Alex haters will be looking pretty silly this time next year.

They'll win 10-11 games with even solid QB play

Wow. This season is going to be a lot of fun.

Halfcan
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Alex Bad Ass Smith has not even thrown a pass for us and he has been called every name in the book on here. lol

patteeu
05-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Not true.

The window is open. But it will be closing by 2014. This team isn't as young as you think it is, not by a long shot. The window was opening when Scooter took over the reigns and drove the team into a mountain.

4 years later all the young talent that came in over the last couple years of Herm's time here is approaching the end of their prime years.

This isn't a team that should be rebuilding, but it's definitely a team that should be operating with the knowledge that a rebuild will be necessary by 2015. And honestly, looking at this draft, I think that's exactly what they did. They went after Smith knowing that they need some base-level competency at the position in order to take advantage of the primes of their best players. They then used the rest of the draft on picks that many of us see as somewhat redundant picks, but on BPA guys that they realize will probably be needed to step in sooner than you think.

As I've taken a longer look at this draft, I think they did a very smart thing in how they approached it. This team isn't a young team anymore and Reid/Dorsey wisely approached it as a team starting from scratch.

I don't think we really disagree with much here. I don't think the team will need a rebuild if they draft and play free agency smart, which sounds like what you're saying at the end there.

The way I'm saying it is that the window that should have been opening during Pioli's reign is finally opening now and if the Chiefs make the right personnel moves they can both start to win now and continue to win for several years to come. It's not the kind of win now situation that took place in Vermeil's last years or that is taking place in Denver.

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Number of passes over 10 yards:

In 7 starts Kaerpernick had 81

In 9 starts, Smith had 56

Passes over 20 yards:

Kaepernick: 31

Alex Smith: 17

That statistical analysis of why this was such a bad move it's off the charts. Even the most zealous supporters have to resort to "maybe he'll turn the corner in his 30's".

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 02:00 PM
or that is taking place in Denver.

And this is where you lost me.

Why do you think Denver's window is any shorter than ours? Some of their best players are as young or younger than ours - Decker, Thomas and Miller being chief among them.

You're referring to Manning, obviously, but Manning probably has 2-3 more good years left before they have to deal with the QB position. Bailey's also probably only looking at another good year or two. But really folks - Hali's closer to that same place in his career than you want to believe.

The difference between the Chiefs and Broncos windows is not the duration of them, but just how wide open they are. The Chiefs will have to do everything right and catch a few breaks to win a SB (or even an AFC championship) with Alex Smith at the helm. The Broncos don't have nearly that thin a margin for error.

The Chiefs window is 2-3 seasons....so is the Broncos. You only think theirs is a 'win now' desperation window because they have much higher to fall from than we do. The Chiefs window, when it closes, will close the door on an era of 10 win seasons and hoping for nice bounces in the post-season. The Broncos, OTOH, will fall from 13 wins, bye weeks and prohibitive favorite status.

The Broncos are no more in 'win now' mode than we are - they're just better at it.

Rausch
05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Wow. This season is going to be a lot of fun.

I'd love to think so but I smell less than the force with this one...

http://www.troll.me/images/yoda-senses/did-you-fart.jpg

Halfcan
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
That statistical analysis of why this was such a bad move it's off the charts. Even the most zealous supporters have to resort to "maybe he'll turn the corner in his 30's".

Considering the bumbling fumble machines we have had at QB- Alex is a huge upgrade and was the Best available. He is our QB now- so calling him names and dragging up stats from years ago is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what he does now for the Chiefs. If he throws 50 yards a game with 0 turnovers and we WIN- that is better than anything Cashole did.

-King-
05-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Considering the bumbling fumble machines we have had at QB- Alex is a huge upgrade and was the Best available. He is our QB now- so calling him names and dragging up stats from years ago is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what he does now for the Chiefs. If he throws 50 yards a game with 0 turnovers and we WIN- that is better than anything Cashole did.

Those stats aren't form years ago. They're from last year. And that last part is just idiotic. If he throws for 50 yards, then that means he's holding the team back from their true potential. Only stupid people would be happy with that.

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Those stats aren't form years ago. They're from last year. And that last part is just idiotic. If he throws for 50 yards, then that means he's holding the team back from their true potential. Only stupid people would be happy with that.

I think he is trying a new semi-troll shtick hence the Alex "Bad-Ass" Smith.

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Ah, I see the usual litany of excuses, what-ifs and crys that it was everyone else's fault. If only we would judge Smith on individual performance we would feel differently.

Ok, let's examine Smith's individual performance...

At his very best, Smith has produced:
About 200 yards per game and a personal record of 18 touchdowns in a season. I'm not sure how anyone can judge this production as anything other than pathetic in today's NFL. Smith doesn't even make the list for single-season passing touchdowns. He isn't even tied for 229th on the list... he doesn't appear anywhere on the list. In fact, doubling Smith's best year would only tie him for 16th on the list of single-season passing touchdowns. You would have to nearly triple his production to jump to 1st on that list. Tell me again why I should be excited to have a player like Smith at a cost of two very high draft picks.

Smith may be good enough to not lose games, but he is nowhere near good enough to carry a team to a Super Bowl. Smith is not a playmaker; he is the guy who will likely be just good enough to prevent the Chiefs from drafting a legit QB.

This, a thousand times this. To infinity.

I won't argue that Alex Smith is better than anything the Chiefs had on the roster last year. That's also dubious praise - kinda of like being the smartest kind on the short bus or the most compassionate person in patteau's household.

But it's a move with limited upside. Yes, It helps them win more NOW with the players here before they are washed up, but it only gets the team into the "win enough to scrape into the playoffs and maybe host a first-round game" territory. They're not going to make a serious postseason run with Alex Smith at QB sans him pulling a Gannon or sans the Chiefs defense turning into a killer unit (even better than the one he couldn't make a serious postseason run with in San Fran).

You don't build a consistent winner that can challenge for multiple postseason runs without an elite or franchise guy at QB. And by trading so much for Alex Smith, even if this leadership group is NOT hitching its wagon to Alex Smith, it is taking on an extreme opportunity cost.

If the Chiefs win an average of 10 games the next two years with Alex Smith, they're going to be drafting in the teens to early 20s. And without a second round pick next year, they're severely limited in what they can do in the draft. Say there's a guy like Roethlisberger that KC and Reid LOVE in next year's draft who's slipping to 10-12 in round 1. Without a second rounder, it's that much harder to move up and grab that guy.

Finding a franchise QB is hard. Alex Smith makes it harder in a lot of ways, because they're likely to win JUST enough to require serious flexibility or creativity or luck to go take "their" guy in the draft.

Halfcan
05-08-2013, 02:15 PM

My point was Winning is all that matters. I have never seen so much hate for a player that has not even thrown one pass yet-lol Our QB situation is 100% better than the last few years.

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
My point was Winning is all that matters. I have never seen so much hate for a player that has not even thrown one pass yet-lol Our QB situation is 100% better than the last few years.

... And still not good enough to do anything worth writing home about.

BlackHelicopters
05-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Winning fixes a lot.

Halfcan
05-08-2013, 02:23 PM
... And still not good enough to do anything worth writing home about.

So the Chiefs should have just kept what they had- or Over drafted a QB this year. Let their fans suffer through yet another year of horrible, pathetic QB play in hopes of maybe possibly drafting a QB next year? :hmmm:

We got the best QB out there and all people do on here is call him alice and wish nothing but bad luck on him and the team. :shake:

MagicHef
05-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I'd love to think so but I smell less than the force with this one...

http://www.troll.me/images/yoda-senses/did-you-fart.jpg

You misunderstand. This season will be a lot of fun because of these absurd predictions. I remember just a year ago when the Chiefs were going to win the division because Berry, Charles and Moeaki were all coming back.

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 02:24 PM
So the Chiefs should have just kept what they had- or Over drafted a QB this year. Let their fans suffer through yet another year of horrible, pathetic QB play in hopes of maybe possibly drafting a QB next year? :hmmm:

We got the best QB out there and all people do on here is call him alice and wish nothing but bad luck on him and the team. :shake:

Oh, come one. It's not like any of us are saying we hope he gets Theismanned or anything.

Side note: Does anybody have current contact information for Lawrence Taylor?

I would rather have seen them draft BPA, sign a middling QB in FA to place hold for a year or two, and take a shot at a QB in 2 or 3 this year (or 4 or anything other than UDFA), and then see what's available at QB next year.

If that means winning 5 games this year instead of 8, 9 or 10, oh well.

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 02:33 PM
This, a thousand times this. To infinity.

I won't argue that Alex Smith is better than anything the Chiefs had on the roster last year. That's also dubious praise - kinda of like being the smartest kind on the short bus or the most compassionate person in patteau's household.

But it's a move with limited upside. Yes, It helps them win more NOW with the players here before they are washed up, but it only gets the team into the "win enough to scrape into the playoffs and maybe host a first-round game" territory. They're not going to make a serious postseason run with Alex Smith at QB sans him pulling a Gannon or sans the Chiefs defense turning into a killer unit (even better than the one he couldn't make a serious postseason run with in San Fran).

You don't build a consistent winner that can challenge for multiple postseason runs without an elite or franchise guy at QB. And by trading so much for Alex Smith, even if this leadership group is NOT hitching its wagon to Alex Smith, it is taking on an extreme opportunity cost.

If the Chiefs win an average of 10 games the next two years with Alex Smith, they're going to be drafting in the teens to early 20s. And without a second round pick next year, they're severely limited in what they can do in the draft. Say there's a guy like Roethlisberger that KC and Reid LOVE in next year's draft who's slipping to 10-12 in round 1. Without a second rounder, it's that much harder to move up and grab that guy.

Finding a franchise QB is hard. Alex Smith makes it harder in a lot of ways, because they're likely to win JUST enough to require serious flexibility or creativity or luck to go take "their" guy in the draft.

At the same time, we've seen so much shitty football for the last 6-8 years, are you really going to be upset with 10 win seasons?

Especially when guys like Flacco in the latter half of the first, Kaepernick in the 2nd or Wilson in the 3rd are becoming just a little more common. It's getting easier to find a 'franchise QB' these days as the rules tilt more and more in favor of the passing game.

No, Alex Smith is not likely to be that guy, but I'm also far from convinced that you have to have a 3 win season to get a guy that you can win a SB with. You have to be smart and above all you have to try to find that guy.

I think Dorsey and crew understand and agree with that. I think they also busted their asses turning over stones looking for the next big thing and just didn't like what they saw. In the end, they did get a guy that's as talented as anyone that came out of this draft, so that's pretty damn exciting.

And when they decided that this wasn't the year to take a big swing at the QB position, they decided not to piss away another prime year from some great players in pursuit of a top 5 overall pick again. They got themselves a competent QB at way too high a cost, IMO. At the same time, they did acquire an NFL caliber starting QB and that's going to be a huge relief. It's going to make Sunday's worth watching again, even if we know the ceiling isn't as high as it could be.

I'm tired of shitty football and frankly I'm tired of the assumption that sucking will get you a great QB. Next year's QB class is lukewarm as well - I don't want to go through 3 wins again so I can pick between Teddy Bridgewater and Taj Boyd.

Sandy Vagina
05-08-2013, 02:41 PM

I have seen this before. The feet dig in so deeply that some will be hoping Alex fails miserably just so they can yell, "See?!? I was right!!!"... and somehow "being right" is priority 1 over wanting team success. Sounds awful... sounds far-fetched... but I have seen it. It will happen.

Fans can make their own plans, but one thing they often fail to consider are the team players. The coaches need to have their players pumped with optimism. Guys like Dwayne Bowe might see the F/O bring in a guy like Alex and it makes them feel that hey, maybe these guys are serious about turning things around. Or they can bring in some rookie to develop... and then the vets roll their eyes and think, bleh... rebuilding BS... We're not going anywhere for years, I want out.

Still excited for the coming season... :clap:

ceebz
05-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this team doesn't come close to ten wins this season?

Sandy Vagina
05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this team doesn't come close to ten wins this season?

Oh, it looks like most people agree with you. Some even sound like they would rather lose out than to win 10 games and get a quick boot out of the playoffs. I have you pegged for 9 wins myself. Then more the next season. :popcorn:

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
At the same time, we've seen so much shitty football for the last 6-8 years, are you really going to be upset with 10 win seasons?

Especially when guys like Flacco in the latter half of the first, Kaepernick in the 2nd or Wilson in the 3rd are becoming just a little more common. It's getting easier to find a 'franchise QB' these days as the rules tilt more and more in favor of the passing game.

No, Alex Smith is not likely to be that guy, but I'm also far from convinced that you have to have a 3 win season to get a guy that you can win a SB with. You have to be smart and above all you have to try to find that guy.

I think Dorsey and crew understand and agree with that. I think they also busted their asses turning over stones looking for the next big thing and just didn't like what they saw. In the end, they did get a guy that's as talented as anyone that came out of this draft, so that's pretty damn exciting.

And when they decided that this wasn't the year to take a big swing at the QB position, they decided not to piss away another prime year from some great players in pursuit of a top 5 overall pick again. They got themselves a competent QB at way too high a cost, IMO. At the same time, they did acquire an NFL caliber starting QB and that's going to be a huge relief. It's going to make Sunday's worth watching again, even if we know the ceiling isn't as high as it could be.

I'm tired of shitty football and frankly I'm tired of the assumption that sucking will get you a great QB. Next year's QB class is lukewarm as well - I don't want to go through 3 wins again so I can pick between Teddy Bridgewater and Taj Boyd.

No. But a 10-win season in which the Chiefs have no chance of doing anything in the playoffs feels no different to me than a 5-win season. Or even a 3-win season.

I don't assume that sucking again would guarantee the Chiefs get a guy who can be a franchise QB, because I'm going to have to SEE someone calling the shots for the Chiefs you know, DRAFT a QB before I believe they'll actually do it. And because those guys ARE hard to find.

But if they ARE willing to draft a QB, it's sure as hell easier to do it with better draft picks.

Is there any Chiefs who wouldn't trade the Chiefs' 7 wins and "competitive" season in 2011 for an 0-16 campaign in which they lost by an average of 21 points, in hindsight?

-King-
05-08-2013, 02:50 PM
No. But a 10-win season in which the Chiefs have no chance of doing anything in the playoffs feels no different to me than a 5-win season. Or even a 3-win season.

I disagree with you 100%. As badly as 2010 ended, I had a WAY more fun during that season than I did these past two and it's not even close.

ayleswbj
05-08-2013, 02:52 PM
2 wins to 10 wins, doesnt happen often, there is some serious talent on this team though. An organized coaching staff an new life in the organization. I personally think we are gonna see a revived andy reid. He went through some horrible struggles personally with his family. Some time has passed and he seems to be rejuvenated.

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 02:54 PM

The schedule is very favorable. If we had last years schedule I would say no way even close. With this schedule and some luck maybe 8-8. Hell, Haley and Cassell took a less talented team to 10 wins so the sun does shine on a dogs ass.

This team is really such a crap shoot though because we don't know how Andy plans on running the offense and is the defensive line can be servicable. If Reid plans on throwing over 32 times a game than yeah, we may not win 5-6, if he adjust than we can be average.

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 02:54 PM

I don't assume that sucking again would guarantee the Chiefs get a guy who can be a franchise QB, because I'm going to have to SEE someone calling the shots for the Chiefs you know, DRAFT a QB before I believe they'll actually do it. And because those guys ARE hard to find.

But if they ARE willing to draft a QB, it's sure as hell easier to do it with better draft picks.

Is there any Chiefs who wouldn't trade the Chiefs' 7 wins and "competitive" season in 2011 for an 0-16 campaign in which they lost by an average of 21 points, in hindsight?

Really?

You honestly felt the same way in 2010 as you did in 2012?

I call bullshit, hoss.

As a season ticket holder, for me personally they feel a ton different. I woke up in 2010 interested to see how the day went and excited for a good football game. I remember the elation of piss-pounding the 49ers and that shocker vs SD. There was legitimate excitement for massive swaths of the season, even if we knew it probably wasn't a SB team.

In 2012, it was nothing more than a grind. I went to the games because the tickets were paid for and that's it.

Sorry, but I think you're simply being dogmatic here. I don't believe you or anyone else that tries to argue that they didn't feel any differently about Chiefs football in 2010 than they did in 2012.

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I disagree with you 100%. As badly as 2010 ended, I had a WAY more fun during that season than I did these past two and it's not even close.

That's cool, and I understand it.

I'm just not there anymore. I've had all the fun I can have with a 10-win season that is going to end in the first round of the playoffs barring something fluky and/or miraculous happening.

I'd rather stomach losing a lot while building towards something the right way (read: the same way the rest of the NFL is doing it, or a cutting edge way) than winning 7-10 games and being respectable using a recycled, antiquated approach.

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 02:57 PM

Eh, define close.

I put them at 9, only because I was generous, looked at 4 games I didn't think they'd win but figured they'd be close and decided I'd give them an extra W.

I think it's a 7 win team with ease, more likely an 8 win team and a possible 9 win team. That's 'close' to 10 wins.

Sandy Vagina
05-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I bring this up, only because it was recently discussed here as a way of slamming Alex.

Khaled Elsayed ‏@PFF_Khaled 2h
For those asking Frank Gore faced 8 men in the box
37.8% of time with Smith starter
46.6% of time with Kaepernick starting

so teams loaded 8 in the box because they didn't respect the QB? Hmmm.... just sayin'

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Really?

You honestly felt the same way in 2010 as you did in 2012?

I call bullshit, hoss.

As a season ticket holder, for me personally they feel a ton different. I woke up in 2010 interested to see how the day went and excited for a good football game. I remember the elation of piss-pounding the 49ers and that shocker vs SD. There was legitimate excitement for massive swaths of the season, even if we knew it probably wasn't a SB team.

In 2012, it was nothing more than a grind. I went to the games because the tickets were paid for and that's it.

Sorry, but I think you're simply being dogmatic here. I don't believe you or anyone else that tries to argue that they didn't feel any differently about Chiefs football in 2010 than they did in 2012.

I didn't enjoy the 2010 season, not really. I didn't see anything more than a fluky playoff run (based on a weak schedule) - at best - coming for that year.

People I work with were all about the Chiefs' chances entering that season, and thought I was crazy for thinking the Chiefs had no chance even if they did manage to scrape into the playoffs.

I felt on August 1, 2010 that the Chiefs had literally no shot at winning a playoff game or making a real run. Which is the same way I felt about the Chiefs on August 1, 2012. I was never emotionally checked into 2010, just like I was never emotionally checked into 2012, because I could see a replay of 1992, 1994, 1997, 2003, etc. coming.

Rausch
05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I bring this up, only because it was recently discussed here as a way of slamming Alex.

so teams loaded 8 in the box because they didn't respect the QB? Hmmm.... just sayin'

So your argument is that in 1/3 the snaps Smith faced a 8 man front, right?...

Dave Lane
05-08-2013, 03:07 PM
there are no similarities between Cassel and Smith

I hope this post is dripping with irony.

ceebz
05-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Honestly, I look at the schedule at see 6 wins, at most. They'll probably go 2-4 in the division, and I just don't see them winning more than four games outside the AFC West.

I think the offseason has made people forget just how atrocious this team was in 2012. Yes, the QB's were awful, the coaches sucked, but, I didn't really see any standout performances from our "talented" players, other than Charles. Even the defense, where most of this team's talent resides, got smoked several times last season. (lol, the Jets)

Sorry guys, this is a six win team.

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Honestly, I look at the schedule at see 6 wins, at most. They'll probably go 2-4 in the division, and I just don't see them winning more than four games outside the AFC West.

I think the offseason has made people forget just how atrocious this team was in 2012. Yes, the QB's were awful, the coaches sucked, but, I didn't really see any standout performances from our "talented" players, other than Charles. Even the defense, where most of this team's talent resides, got smoked several times last season. (lol, the Jets)

I think you probably underestimate just how god awful the coaching and preparation was. Hell, they dumb lucked into winning the Saints game when Romeo was going to punt. I think it's anywhere from 4-8 wins depending on how injuries shake out with them and around the league. An injured Manning makes things look a lot different. But really way too many unknowns at this point.

ceebz
05-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I think you probably underestimate just how god awful the coaching was.

Coaching was bad, but so was the team.

Sandy Vagina
05-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I think you probably underestimate just how god awful the coaching and preparation was. Hell, they dumb lucked into winning the Saints game when Romeo was going to punt. I think it's anywhere from 4-8 wins depending on how injuries shake out with them and around the league. An injured Manning makes things look a lot different. But really way too many unknowns at this point.

Yep. Niners had basically the same team in 2010 to 2011 and won 7 more games with the coaching change (plus, saddled with the lockout).

Coaching can make a world of difference.

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Coaching was bad, but so was the team.

It was virtually the same team Haley took to 10 wins.

Rausch
05-08-2013, 03:22 PM
It was virtually the same team Haley rode to 10 wins.

FYP...

ceebz
05-08-2013, 03:24 PM
It was virtually the same team Haley took to 10 wins.

Except Cassel was mentally broken, Hali fucking sucked, Breaston sat on the sidelines, Charles and Moeaki were coming of ACL's, no stability at FS, and there was no Brandon Carr.

This place is gonna be fucking melting down when the Chiefs are 0-1 after opening weekend.

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 03:24 PM
FYP...

If by rode you mean pushed them than I agree. There wasn't much to ride talent wise. Haley/Weis were the difference.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-08-2013, 03:25 PM
You misunderstand. This season will be a lot of fun because of these absurd predictions. I remember just a year ago when the Chiefs were going to win the division because Berry, Charles and Moeaki were all coming back.

The Chiefs nearly beat 3 AFC playoff teams at home last year without even trying to attempt a forward pass. If you can't see the talent they have you have your head up horseface's ass.

Rausch
05-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Haley/Weis were the difference.

This I agree with...

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Except Cassel was mentally broken, Hali ****ing sucked, Breaston sat on the sidelines, Charles and Moeaki were coming of ACL's, no stability at FS, and there was no Brandon Carr.

This place is gonna be ****ing melting down when the Chiefs are 0-1 after opening weekend.

Carr hurt a little bit. Charles was Charles last year and Moeaki hasn't done shit any year. There was minimal difference in talent on the teams. Just better coaching and easier schedule in 10. I'm not expecting all sunshine and roses, but it's hard to suck that bad a few years in a row.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-08-2013, 03:37 PM

:spock::spock::spock::spock::spock::spock:

I'm suuuuuure 50 turnovers had nothing to do with any of the losses.

I question whether you even watched the games against Bal, Indy, and Denver at home where that "talentless" team nearly won by not even attempting forward passes.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Smith has no excuses. There is enough talent on this team to win 9-11 games with solid QB play.

RealSNR
05-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Smith has no excuses. There is enough talent on this team to win 9-11 games with solid QB play.

Every QB needs at least two seasons with the same offensive coordinator, perfect offensive line, and no injuries in order to be judged properly.

That's what I learned from the Cassel years, anyway

Hootie
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM

This. Anything less and Smith can compete with whomever in 2014.

ct
05-08-2013, 03:46 PM

same as it ever was...
same as it ever was...

MagicHef
05-08-2013, 03:48 PM
The Chiefs nearly beat 3 AFC playoff teams at home last year without even trying to attempt a forward pass. If you can't see the talent they have you have your head up horseface's ass.

The Broncos nearly beat the SB champs... but they didn't.

The 49ers nearly won the Super Bowl... but they didn't.

The Chiefs nearly won a third game last season... but they didn't.

I see a lot of talent on the Chiefs, but it's nearly all at positions that don't really matter. I'll say 5 wins.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Every QB needs at least two seasons with the same offensive coordinator, perfect offensive line, and no injuries in order to be judged properly.

That's what I learned from the Cassel years, anyway

Where is that pesky True Fan gif when I need it.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-08-2013, 03:53 PM
The Broncos nearly beat the SB champs... but they didn't.

The 49ers nearly won the Super Bowl... but they didn't.

The Chiefs nearly won a third game last season... but they didn't.

I see a lot of talent on the Chiefs, but it's nearly all at positions that don't really matter. I'll say 5 wins.

ROFL You are a buffoon.

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I didn't enjoy the 2010 season, not really. I didn't see anything more than a fluky playoff run (based on a weak schedule) - at best - coming for that year.

People I work with were all about the Chiefs' chances entering that season, and thought I was crazy for thinking the Chiefs had no chance even if they did manage to scrape into the playoffs.

I felt on August 1, 2010 that the Chiefs had literally no shot at winning a playoff game or making a real run. Which is the same way I felt about the Chiefs on August 1, 2012. I was never emotionally checked into 2010, just like I was never emotionally checked into 2012, because I could see a replay of 1992, 1994, 1997, 2003, etc. coming.

August 1, I get.

But on December 9, 2010 you really didn't feel any differently about that team than you did on December 9, 2012?

That's a hardcore commitment to being checked out right there. I understand a little bit of cynicism, but after beating the Broncos in an admittedly ugly game (after shellacking the Seahawks the week before) the Chiefs sat at 10-4 and looked like like a legitimately decent NFL football team. On December 9, 2012 the Chiefs had just finished getting dismantled by the Cleveland Browns to fall to 2-11.

Really? Those two seasons, those two points in time felt no different to you?

Honestly - I just think that's being unfair to the franchise. If those two scenarios engender absolutely no difference in how you feel about the franchise, you are being dogmatic (QB or bust!), whether you want to believe it or not.

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 04:14 PM
August 1, I get.

But on December 9, 2010 you really didn't feel any differently about that team than you did on December 9, 2012?

That's a hardcore commitment to being checked out right there. I understand a little bit of cynicism, but after beating the Broncos in an admittedly ugly game (after shellacking the Seahawks the week before) the Chiefs sat at 10-4 and looked like like a legitimately decent NFL football team. On December 9, 2012 the Chiefs had just finished getting dismantled by the Cleveland Browns to fall to 2-11.

Really? Those two seasons, those two points in time felt no different to you?

Honestly - I just think that's being unfair to the franchise. If those two scenarios engender absolutely no difference in how you feel about the franchise, you are being dogmatic (QB or bust!), whether you want to believe it or not.

I made $100 in a bet with a co-worker before Christmas in 2010 that the Chiefs would lose their opening round playoff game by at least two touchdowns.... I'd say my thoughts about their playoff success were pretty consistent from August (or really, May) that year until the shellacking the Ravens dropped on the Chiefs.

It's not that I don't watch or don't enjoy watching football or don't root for the Chiefs. It's just that, emotionally, I didn't see anything in 2010 (or 2012 or 2013) to convince me to emotionally invest and hope for something more than a nice diversion for a few hours on Sunday.

Rausch
05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Where is that pesky True Fan gif when I need it.

http://pictard.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/retarded-boy.gif

-King-
05-08-2013, 04:25 PM

http://pictard.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/retarded-boy.gif

ROFLROFLROFLROFL Wtf?

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I made $100 in a bet with a co-worker before Christmas in 2010 that the Chiefs would lose their opening round playoff game by at least two touchdowns.... I'd say my thoughts about their playoff success were pretty consistent from August (or really, May) that year until the shellacking the Ravens dropped on the Chiefs.

It's not that I don't watch or don't enjoy watching football or don't root for the Chiefs. It's just that, emotionally, I didn't see anything in 2010 (or 2012 or 2013) to convince me to emotionally invest and hope for something more than a nice diversion for a few hours on Sunday.

AH HA!!!

So you admit that when they're a ten win team they do provide you with a nice diversion for a few hours on Sunday....

What else did you ignore, Mr. Fung?

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
AH HA!!!

So you admit that when they're a ten win team they do provide you with a nice diversion for a few hours on Sunday....

What else did you ignore, Mr. Fung?

They're an enjoyable diversion for me regardless of how many wins they have...

Mr. Kardashian, I suggest you have a long talk with your daughter.

DJ's left nut
05-08-2013, 05:09 PM
They're an enjoyable diversion for me regardless of how many wins they have...

Mr. Kardashian, I suggest you have a long talk with your daughter.

Damn...if last season was an enjoyable diversion, then we'll just let you walk on an insanity plea.

Well played, sir.

duncan_idaho
05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Damn...if last season was an enjoyable diversion, then we'll just let you walk on an insanity plea.

Well played, sir.

If you're willing to laugh at and mock your team, you can find enjoyment in any contest/beatdown, if you're not emotionally invested. (losing 2x to the effing Raiders not included).

Halfcan
05-08-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't know what you negative people are argueing about?

If you hate the chiefs and Alex Bad Ass Smith so much- why are u posting on a chiefs site??

What else were they suppose to do? I am not a fan of Clark Hunt- but he completely over hauled this team. As a long time fan I am excited to see what happens this year- we have a lot of talent.

keg in kc
05-08-2013, 05:23 PM
"Hatred" and "subjective analysis" are not the same thing.

I think you might have taken a wrong turn on your way to rainbowsandunicornsplanet.

Halfcan
05-08-2013, 05:34 PM

I think you might have taken a wrong turn on your way to rainbowsandunicornsplanet.

"subjective analysis" ROFL I should make a thread on all the names Alex Smith has been called on here so far- and he has not even thrown a pass-lol

or how about calling every draft pick a bust and they havnt signed their contracts yet?

Last year was a nightmare and for Clark to turn it around like he has is amazing. There is a fine line between voicing a legit opinion based on performance and just being a negative dick. :rolleyes: Unfortunately negativity rules this place and anyone excited about this team is a "true fan" now.

Sandy Vagina
05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
At the very least, I found this article to be interesting in this boring time of the offseason.... It is not here as "proof" of anything.

(apparently, not allowed to post links, but this is from Arrowhead Pride )

Alex Smith trends improvement in: Completion %, Yards per Completion, Yards per Game, Quarterback Rating, Touchdown %, total touchdowns, Interception %, and total interceptions.

Alex Smith trends negatively in: Pass Attempts per Game only

My Conclusion

Alex Smith is not Tom Brady. But, Alex Smith is also NOT Matt Cassel. Alex Smith's future looks bright--at least as bright as Joe Flacco's.

Flacco stepped up big time in the SB. He has spurts of excellent play, and has a good deep ball. All that said, I think he is very overrated, and remarkably overpaid.

Coogs
05-08-2013, 05:59 PM

Call me a True Fan or a Homer if you must. If this team does win 9 or 10 games and gets into the playoffs, I'm not so sure that we are in line for the automatic ass kicking many here think we would get. The core of our football team is very good. Charles, Bowe, DJ, Hali, Albert, Flowers, and even Berry to go along side of Smith should not get blown out like some young rookie team.

Sandy Vagina
05-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Call me a True Fan or a Homer if you must. If this team does win 9 or 10 games and gets into the playoffs, I'm not so sure that we are in line for the automatic ass kicking many here think we would get. The core of our football team is very good. Charles, Bowe, DJ, Hali, Albert, Flowers, and even Berry to go along side of Smith should not get blown out like some young rookie team.

Yep. Anything can happen in the playoffs. :)

O.city
05-08-2013, 06:38 PM

We do have a good core, and for the most part, it's at important positions. We just need the core guys to play up to their ability, unlike last year.

We actually added some nice young talent this year as well that can add to said core, in Fisher and Kelsey, among others.

O.city
05-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Not true.

Read this today while at the chiropractor and didn't get a chance to respond. Damn dentistry will get the back, if you don't stay on top of taking care of it.

However, like you said, the "core" here isn't so young. We needed to add the next wave of "core" guys to go along with Berry, Houston, Poe etc.

Hopefully Fisher can be that guy, among another draft pick or two

Saccopoo
05-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Alex is going to have to be something he has never been for that to happen. I have major concerns about them addressing the QBOTF. First was the price tag they paid which was the equivalent of a 1st round pick and next is the likely support Alex will gain amongst "TrueFans" from the inevitable improvement on the 2-4 win seasons. We could have made moves to stock pile picks next year to make moves if that was the plan and we didn't.

I'm not so sure I see anyone but Alex being the QB for the next 2 years minimum(most likely 3-4) and I think the fan base had waited long enough to find their franchise QB only to be saddled with trying to be "coompetitive" now and mortgage the future. I hope your right, but the honest truth is their are a lot of signs that point to them believing Alex is their guy for likely 4 years , just like ***** had planned for Cassell while we were are in denial about that.

You have to remember Alex was only "successful" when Harbaugh came in and turned the 9ers in the Marty Chiefs. The less attempts Alex got the better his numbers became. So now we bring in a head coach who is known for throwing the ball all over the yard and we are expecting Alex to be successul doing something that he has shown to suck as going? It seems like we are trying to mix oil and water here.

Reid is a smart, successful coach.

He's got a team that was built to support a quarterback that needed a solid defense, run support and possession receiving to be successful. The problem is, the QB's that we've had have been downright atrocious in this build. Alex Smith is not. He's a good QB. And he'll have the correct system/players around him to be successful right off the bat here in Kansas City.

Guys like Charles and Bowe have to be elated to have a guy like Smith after suffering through the Cassel years. Yes, Smith isn't going to take the top off of a defense via his arm, but he will give guys like Bowe, Fasano, Moeaki, Charles and even McCluster the opportunity to make plays and those are the guys you want making the plays. These are guys who've put up very, very solid numbers with absolute dogshit getting them the ball. Smith has very good timing and will get these guys the ball at the right time in the correct space that will let them do their thing.

He will keep the ball in play and keep the offense on the field. With not only Smith, but Colquitt, we'll win the ball position battle. With our defense not playing 70% of the game on the field, they'll be in positions to have our playmakers on that side of the ball be more effective. Hali and Houston will have the gas to get after QB's in the fourth quarter. Our defensive linemen will still have push against the O-line late in the game.

Alex Smith will have a cumulative positive effect on the entire team in a game situation. No, he's not Elway, but he can be a very effective game manager and this is exactly what this team needs as it's currently built.

Like I said, I wanted that QBOTF, but I'm going going to lament the signing of Smith. It's a solid pickup. I don't think we could have done better in terms of a known quantity/quality and it will definitely make this team better right from the get go.

O.city
05-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Reid is a smart, successful coach.

He's got a team that was built to support a quarterback that needed a solid defense, run support and possession receiving to be successful. The problem is, the QB's that we've had have been downright atrocious in this build. Alex Smith is not. He's a good QB. And he'll have the correct system/players around him to be successful right off the bat here in Kansas City.

Guys like Charles and Bowe have to be elated to have a guy like Smith after suffering through the Cassel years. Yes, Smith isn't going to take the top off of a defense via his arm, but he will give guys like Bowe, Fasano, Moeaki, Charles and even McCluster the opportunity to make plays and those are the guys you want making the plays. These are guys who've put up very, very solid numbers with absolute dogshit getting them the ball. Smith has very good timing and will get these guys the ball at the right time in the correct space that will let them do their thing.

He will keep the ball in play and keep the offense on the field. With not only Smith, but Colquitt, we'll win the ball position battle. With our defense not playing 70% of the game on the field, they'll be in positions to have our playmakers on that side of the ball be more effective. Hali and Houston will have the gas to get after QB's in the fourth quarter. Our defensive linemen will still have push against the O-line late in the game.

Alex Smith will have a cumulative positive effect on the entire team in a game situation. No, he's not Elway, but he can be a very effective game manager and this is exactly what this team needs as it's currently built.

Like I said, I wanted that QBOTF, but I'm going going to lament the signing of Smith. It's a solid pickup. I don't think we could have done better in terms of a known quantity/quality and it will definitely make this team better right from the get go.

I agree with most here.

My only problem with it is, Reid isn't really known to run an offense like that. They're gonna throw it around and try and score points.

Saccopoo
05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I agree with most here.

My only problem with it is, Reid isn't really known to run an offense like that. They're gonna throw it around and try and score points.

Sure, but it's going to be a more calculated, controlled passing attack. It will be a BYU/LaVell Edwards west coast style of offense which will play to Smith's strengths. Reid was a graduate assistant under Edwards and it's where he learned the basis for his coaching. And while Smith doesn't have a Stafford arm, he's got enough and he's accurate. He'll get it to the playmakers on this team. And there are playmakers on this team.

Reid knows enough of Smith's game to make him his priority signing this offseason. Don't think that he's not going to make the adjustments necessary to make Smith successful in his system. He gave Donovan McNabb the adjustments to be an All-Pro who ends up horribad once he leaves Reid's system. Mike Vick has his best year ever with Reid and he's a completely different QB than McNabb. Smith is very smart and will easily adapt to what Reid has planned and Reid's understanding of the game and the QB position will enable him to get the most out of Smith.

This is going to be a much better team than what we all saw under the Peeholi and Herm years. Last year was as bad as it can get for an NFL football team. 2013 will be substantially better.

I'm over the disappointment of not using that #1 pick on a QB, as much as I wanted Geno. I'm objective enough to realize that they made some very good to superb coaching hirings and very solid free agent pickups at the necessary positions. This team will be able to compete with any team in the league from the get go.

Chiefnj2
05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Guys like Charles and Bowe have to be elated to have a guy like Smith after suffering through the Cassel.

What's the most receptions and TDs scored by a WR with Smith as QB?

Coogs
05-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Two very solid posts Sac! :clap:

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Why is this a good outcome?

So typical of Chiefs fan think.

I hope we win 7 and avoid drafting (Insert QB name)- even though there's a year before the next draft, and we have no idea what his stock will do in that year - because drafting a QB is too big a risk and we have an undrafted FA QB to pin our hopes on!

Uh, its a good outcome becuse if this years class was poop, next years is sub-poop. Barring major revalations, Bridgewater and Johnny can full-on suck it. Besides, how are we going use those first-rounders on D-line if we take a QB?
Posted via Mobile Device

BossChief
05-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I don't think many here think Alex is gonna come in and shit the bed...in fact, I think even the guys (like myself) that don't like the trade acknowledge that AS will come in and vastly improve this team.

I think the heart of the disagreements are when we talk about how far this team can go with him at QB. That's talking about how he will perform against the top defenses, given his physical limitations.

That's where I think the move pisses people off.

We, again, traded for a guy that a true contender deemed "not good enough to win it all with"

I think this is a classic alpha male type move where Andy Reid genuinely thinks he can get Alex Myth to play at a higher level than Jim Harbaugh did and hopefully, he is right.

Truth be told, after all the bitching about these things, I'm just as excited as I would have been last year if we had re-signed Kyle Orton...not much more.

Ming the Merciless
05-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Call me a True Fan or a Homer if you must. If this team does win 9 or 10 games and gets into the playoffs, I'm not so sure that we are in line for the automatic ass kicking many here think we would get.

dude you are higher than the dude taking the bong rip in this vid (obviously nsfw)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VyPD4WbWOtA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coogs
05-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Maybe. I do have a big "if" before the winning 9 or 10 games. We get there, I think this team may just be legit. But I'm not going to bet the farm we get there just yet either.

BigCatDaddy
05-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't think many here think Alex is gonna come in and shit the bed...in fact, I think even the guys (like myself) that don't like the trade acknowledge that AS will come in and vastly improve this team.

I think the heart of the disagreements are when we talk about how far this team can go with him at QB. That's talking about how he will perform against the top defenses, given his physical limitations.

We, again, traded for a guy that a true contender deemed "not good enough to win it all with"

I think this is a classic alpha male type move where Andy Reid genuinely thinks he can get Alex Myth to play at a higher level than Jim Harbaugh did and hopefully, he is right.

Truth be told, after all the bitching about these things, I'm just as excited as I would have been last year if we had re-signed Kyle Orton...not much more.

No. I'll go on record now and say there is a very good chance he shits the bed and this trade is a first class cluster **** of a disaster. The easy schedule really helps, but against good teams especially teams with a good offense we will struggle big time.

As

splatbass
05-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Alex Smith is not good enough to take any team anywhere. He will never play in a Super Bowl.

You have no way of knowing this. Your hyperbole is not convincing.

Tribal Warfare
05-08-2013, 09:14 PM
No. I'll go on record now and say there is a very good chance he shits the bed and this trade is a first class cluster **** of a disaster. The easy schedule really helps, but against good teams especially teams with a good offense we will struggle big time.

As

IMO I don't expect him to last past the Texans before he's in an infirmary.

Messier
05-08-2013, 09:15 PM

In one season? 72 and 4

Messier
05-08-2013, 09:17 PM
IMO I don't expect him to last past the Texans before he's in an infirmary.

I think this is the biggest legit concern with Smith. He probably will get hurt at some point.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Are ya' ready for some CHASE-BALLLLL????!
It's a monday night PARTAYYYY...

yeah...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-08-2013, 09:20 PM
You have no way of knowing this. Your hyperbole is not convincing.

"Geno Smith is a bust". You have many ways of knowing this. Right?
Posted via Mobile Device

splatbass
05-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I guess I don't understand having "2nd favorite teams" then. I despise every other team besides KC. Some I despise more, some less, but I dislike every other franchise in the NFL.

I understand it. I have been a life-long Chiefs fan, but since I lived in the Bay Area during most of the '80s during the Montana years I have always rooted for the 9ers too when it doesn't hurt the Chiefs. I also root for the SF Giants even though I'm a life-long Royals fan. I don't see anything wrong with it.

GoChargers
05-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Flacco stepped up big time in the SB. He has spurts of excellent play, and has a good deep ball. All that said, I think he is very overrated, and remarkably overpaid.

How the hell is Flacco overrated? If anything, he was underrated until he won the Super Bowl. People thought he was a game manager like Alice Smiff or Matt Schaub when he's clearly better than that. He outplayed Brady in Foxboro in the AFC title game the year before, only losing because his supporting cast shit the bed, then proceeded to outplay Luck, Peyton, Brady (again), and Kaepernick in this past year's playoffs.

And his contract actually doesn't screw the Ravens over like people thought it would (plus there's no way it's not getting restructured). They will still be a Super Bowl contender this season.

splatbass
05-08-2013, 09:45 PM
8-8, some good tailgating and good times and memories!

I'm sorry for laughing but you are "that guy" that has been mocked around here for the last 5 years.

Yeah, mocked by simple-minded drooling morons.

No, that isn't fair. Most of you don't drool...

RealSNR
05-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah, mocked by simple-minded drooling morons.

Okay, so I get that being a fan means you want to have fun, root for a cause, yadda yadda etc. I get that part of True Fan philosophy.

But you DO realize that you support and believe in some pretty fucked up and far-fetched things, right?

splatbass
05-08-2013, 09:56 PM
"Geno Smith is a bust". You have many ways of knowing this. Right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Please point out any thread where I said that. Just one.

Hint: you can't. You are disingenuous in virtually every post you make. Congrats.

RunKC
05-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Okay, so I get that being a fan means you want to have fun, root for a cause, yadda yadda etc. I get that part of True Fan philosophy.

But you DO realize that you support and believe in some pretty ****ed up and far-fetched things, right?

What about the opposite ended fans who are so miserable every day and express it on here 24/7?

You guys should just do a mass suicide and end your misery.

splatbass
05-08-2013, 10:02 PM

But you DO realize that you support and believe in some pretty ****ed up and far-fetched things, right?

Not really. I'm not the one that believes in a mythological "TrueFan". That is really fucked up and far-fetched.

splatbass
05-08-2013, 10:03 PM
What about the opposite ended fans who are so miserable every day and express it on here 24/7?

I would seriously give up football if it made me feel that shitty all the time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-08-2013, 10:11 PM

Who's miserable, you jackass? This is the fun part; watching the Chiefs pull the same, tired insanity-trip, then calling them on their shit. When they start doing business correctly, then we become boring Pats fans.
Posted via Mobile Device

splatbass
05-08-2013, 10:19 PM
They're not going to make a serious postseason run with Alex Smith at QB sans him pulling a Gannon or sans the Chiefs defense turning into a killer unit (even better than the one he couldn't make a serious postseason run with in San Fran).

OT in the NFC Championship game isn't a serious postseason run? WTF are you smoking?

bevischief
05-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Some of you need this.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 06:48 AM

Who is the hell is miserable? How does pointing out dumbass moves miserable? I'm sorry some of us are able to stay objective rather than just swallowing whatever shit the Chiefs shove down our throats. This franchise has been a flaming ball of fail for quite some time now so I fail to see how anyone can thing every move they make is beyond criticism.

Taking the wait and see approach is how you end up with 4 years of Scott fucking Pioli.

Sandy Vagina
05-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Who is the hell is miserable? How does pointing out dumbass moves miserable? I'm sorry some of us are able to stay objective rather than just swallowing whatever shit the Chiefs shove down our throats. This franchise has been a flaming ball of fail for quite some time now so I fail to see how anyone can thing every move they make is beyond criticism.

Taking the wait and see approach is how you end up with 4 years of Scott ****ing *****.

The criticism is repetitive and worthless. It just makes you look like a child having a temper tantrum to everyone that reads here. Do you really not see that? Is that how you like to be thought of? If not, then why not find something constructive to do? and let the mature grown-ups talk Chiefs football.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 07:10 AM
The criticism is repetitive and worthless. It just makes you look like a child having a temper tantrum to everyone that reads here. Do you really not see that? Is that how you like to be thought of? If not, then why not find something constructive to do? and let the mature grown-ups talk Chiefs football.

So is the ball washing you provide Alex Smith not also repetitive and worthless? I know you are the type of guy that takes a dick in the ass and smiles about it, but I'm more of a fan of critical thinking than being an ignorant homer such as yourself. I, like most, like some of the moves the Chiefs made such as the hiring of Reid/Dorsey, but I'm also critical ones as well such as trading for Alex Smith and not investing a draft pick in a possible replacement for Alex Smith. If you don't like my opinions and facts that support them tough shit. Go take your whiny ass somewhere else. If you are worried how you are viewed on an internet message board than you have some serious real life issues. Besides the big kids have been educating you on the suck that is Alice Smith since you got here even though you came here thinking you were going to educate this fan base.

I stand behind my opinion that an Andy Reid/ Alice Smith relationship is going to be a horrible disaster. Probably worst than people that aren't a fan of the trade want to believe at this point. We'll find out soon enough and if Alice is throwing it 35 times again and keeping that 90-100 QB rating then I'll gladly eat crow.

You know you can always put me on ignore also if you don't like the pain that I bring.

Now go have a nice cup of antifreeze and sodomize yourself with a cactus.

duncan_idaho
05-09-2013, 07:23 AM
OT in the NFC Championship game isn't a serious postseason run? WTF are you smoking?

Yes, that run was all about Alex Smith, wasn't it?

The 49ers had the best defense in football and the best overall roster (:insert right 53 joke here: ). I'm skeptical the Chiefs will put similar resources in place for Smith this year or next.

I hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't think I am. If the Chiefs manage to pull together a top 5 defense this year, the Chiefs COULD make a run. But it wouldn't be about Alex Smith at that point.

Sandy Vagina
05-09-2013, 07:24 AM
So is the ball washing you provide Alex Smith not also repetitive and worthless? I know you are the type of guy that takes a dick in the ass and smiles about it, but I'm more of a fan of critical thinking than being an ignorant homer such as yourself. I, like most, like some of the moves the Chiefs made such as the hiring of Reid/Dorsey, but I'm also critical ones as well such as trading for Alex Smith and not investing a draft pick in a possible replacement for Alex Smith. If you don't like my opinions and facts that support them tough shit. Go take your whiny ass somewhere else. If you are worried how you are viewed on an internet message board than you have some serious real life issues. Besides the big kids have been educating you on the suck that is Alice Smith since you got here even though you came here thinking you were going to educate this fan base.

I stand behind my opinion that an Andy Reid/ Alice Smith relationship is going to be a horrible disaster. Probably worst than people that aren't a fan of the trade want to believe at this point. We'll find out soon enough and if Alice is throwing it 35 times again and keeping that 90-100 QB rating then I'll gladly eat crow.

You know you can always put me on ignore also if you don't like the pain that I bring.

Now go have a nice cup of antifreeze and sodomize yourself with a cactus.

Hilarious that I can make you so angry, lolz!

It is also amusing that it's always the detractors that bring homosexuality to the threads. It makes it rather clear that you think of men in that way... and hey, this is the world we live in. I can accept your preferences.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Hilarious that I can make you so angry, lolz!

It is also amusing that it's always the detractors that bring homosexuality to the threads. It makes it rather clear that you think of men in that way... and hey, this is the world we live in. I can accept your preferences.

Says the San Francisco fan from New Orleans LMAO

Hang yourself from an Aids Tree.

What is amusing is that the more I make you my bitch the more positive rep I'm getting, yet the guy that cares so much about his online reputation is still in the reds. LMAO

Mav
05-09-2013, 08:26 AM

The 49ers had the best defense in football and the best overall roster (:insert right 53 joke here: ). I'm skeptical the Chiefs will put similar resources in place for Smith this year or next.

I hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't think I am. If the Chiefs manage to pull together a top 5 defense this year, the Chiefs COULD make a run. But it wouldn't be about Alex Smith at that point.

you know, you have a fair point. Did you happen to see the 49ers Saints game. Please feel free to tell me that Alex Smith played no part in that game.....

Also, that season he led the league in 4th qtr comebacks. But alas, he had zero to do with the 49ers success....ZERO.

Now, the above was severe sarcasm, that being said, no one is stupid enough to think that Alex Smith was the whole reason the 49ers won.

But to think that his 5 interceptions, the fact that he pre installed that offense during the lockout, while NOT being under contract, and his leadership with a brand new coaching staff, helped. That was a 6-10 roster the season before. The lockout, new coaching staff all the way around. Tell me honestly that Alexs leadership didnt contribute something positive to that 49ers team

Mav
05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Says the San Francisco fan from New Orleans LMAO

Hang yourself from an Aids Tree.

What is amusing is that the more I make you my bitch the more positive rep I'm getting, yet the guy that cares so much about his online reputation is still in the reds. LMAO

you are up and at em early this morning.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Not really. I'm not the one that believes in a mythological "TrueFan". That is really fucked up and far-fetched.

Oh, the TrueFan gif IS not only proof they exist, it is unarguable proof.

*Someone post the fucking thing*

Mav
05-09-2013, 08:46 AM

As

No you wont. And here is why. Your defense is going to be far better than you thought. Second, Alex Smith is going to help control the clock, thats just fact. While he wasnt throwing the ball deep, he was connecting on short passes, and handing the ball off. Thats going to keep opposing offenses off the field....

Its not going to be perfect, but its not going to be the doom and gloom that people want to think.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
No you wont. And here is why. Your defense is going to be far better than you thought. Second, Alex Smith is going to help control the clock, thats just fact. While he wasnt throwing the ball deep, he was connecting on short passes, and handing the ball off. Thats going to keep opposing offenses off the field....

Its not going to be perfect, but its not going to be the doom and gloom that people want to think.

CPers accuse their wife of banging the mailman....until she finally gets pissed at the accusations and is banging the mailman.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM

Well, both of those things are the big mystery and you are making huge leaps there. One our defense gave up 26PPG last year and two Andy Reid has a long documented history of throwing the ball quite often. We should have our answer to both of those within a few weeks of the season starting.

Rasputin
05-09-2013, 08:54 AM

This here says a lot. Him and Cassel both just had success from handing the ball off and letting the run game take over.

Andy Reid wants a passing attack game plan and he brings in a guy that doesn't do well if he has to pass more than 25 times a game and is a basic game manager. Contradicts everything Andy Reid wants and preaches he will do.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
50 turnovers had ALOT to do with giving up that many points. It was ridiculous.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
you are up and at em early this morning.

It's never to early for a Lil Mac ass kicking.

patteeu
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
This here says a lot. Him and Cassel both just had success from handing the ball off and letting the run game take over.

Andy Reid wants a passing attack game plane and he brings in a guy that doesn't do well if he has to pass more than 25 times a game and is a basic game manager. Contradicts everything Andy Reid wants and preaches he will do.

It's weird that Andy Reid isn't smart enough to see that himself. If only we could get him in touch with you we might be able to avoid a disaster.

BigCatDaddy
50 turnovers had ALOT to do with giving up that many points. It was ridiculous.

Agreed. However, if Alice is asked to throw 35 times a game you are still going to see a lot of turnovers. Charles is also a fumbler. That's just the yin and yang of him.

Mav
Well, both of those things are the big mystery and you are making huge leaps there. One our defense gave up 26PPG last year and two Andy Reid has a long documented history of throwing the ball quite often. We should have our answer to both of those within a few weeks of the season starting.

Im asking, and not antagonizing, thats a fore word. How much of that had to do with the fact that your qbs turned the ball over 37 times? And, a passive defensive style. I only know this about the style of defense you ran, because as you know by the avatar, i have seen a romeo crennel defense before......

Mav
05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
CPers accuse their wife of banging the mailman....until she finally gets pissed at the accusations and is banging the mailman.

valid ROFL

Rasputin
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
It's weird that Andy Reid isn't smart enough to see that himself. If only we could get him in touch with you we might be able to avoid a disaster.

If he wants my opinion I'd be happy to give it to him. ;)

Mav
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Agreed. However, if Alice is asked to throw 35 times a game you are still going to see a lot of turnovers. Charles is also a fumbler. That's just the yin and yang of him.

Lol, being a fair and unbiased homer. More than likely, you will see about 95 sacks......

He just doesnt force the issue......Charles is a fumbler, and Kniles davis is a fumbling injury prone mash unit. Perfect pair.

duncan_idaho
you know, you have a fair point. Did you happen to see the 49ers Saints game. Please feel free to tell me that Alex Smith played no part in that game.....

Also, that season he led the league in 4th qtr comebacks. But alas, he had zero to do with the 49ers success....ZERO.

Now, the above was severe sarcasm, that being said, no one is stupid enough to think that Alex Smith was the whole reason the 49ers won.

But to think that his 5 interceptions, the fact that he pre installed that offense during the lockout, while NOT being under contract, and his leadership with a brand new coaching staff, helped. That was a 6-10 roster the season before. The lockout, new coaching staff all the way around. Tell me honestly that Alexs leadership didnt contribute something positive to that 49ers team

I DID watch the 49ers/Saints game. I didn't see Alex Smith do anything to that fairly bad Saints defense that any decent QB wasn't capable of. In fact, his numbers in that playoff game track basically exactly with the AVERAGE performance by QBs against the Saints that year. Around a half-dozen QBs found much more success against the Saints.

Alex is a great guy. I won't argue that. His teammates like him. I won't argue that. He's smart. I won't argue that. He limits turnovers and doesn't make mistakes. I won't argue that.

The only things I'll argue are very simple:

1) He's at his best when throwing a limited number of times per game. Until he proves otherwise, expecting him to throw more and get the same results as under Harbaugh's system is based on hope and faith).

2) He's not an elite quarterback capable of being THE difference maker in a playoff run. He needs a GREAT team around him to do so, including an elite defense.

3) KC has a coach whose history says (1) is not going to be an option, and a roster that suggests (2) is still at least a few years off.

4) The Chiefs gave up too much for a QB with limited upside, and by giving up too much severely hampered their ability to find a QB with that upside in the 2013 or 2014 drafts. It's harder to walk away from a guy you gave up two first round picks for (And had your owner running around talking up in the media). If Smith doesn't work out and they walk away from him in one year or even at the end of two years without significant success, that burns a lot of public trust.

RunKC

Taking the wait and see approach is how you end up with 4 years of Scott ****ing *****.

This isn't some unproven coffee fetching dumbass Pioli bitch. The man running this team is 11th in all-time playoff wins, only has 3 losing seasons in his 14 years coaching and is known as an elite QB coach.

He's proven shit in this league for more than a decade. He has earned a wait and see approach.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Im asking, and not antagonizing, thats a fore word. How much of that had to do with the fact that your qbs turned the ball over 37 times? And, a passive defensive style. I only know this about the style of defense you ran, because as you know by the avatar, i have seen a romeo crennel defense before......

Sure it had to do with turnovers at the QB position and I think with Andy Reid as coach and a weaker defense than what Alex Smith is used to we are still going to turn the ball over quite a bit. I really don't see us going to 3 yards and a cloud of dust football that protects Alex and the defense.

Mav
05-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I DID watch the 49ers/Saints game. I didn't see Alex Smith do anything to that fairly bad Saints defense that any decent QB wasn't capable of. In fact, his numbers in that playoff game track basically exactly with the AVERAGE performance by QBs against the Saints that year. Around a half-dozen QBs found much more success against the Saints.

Alex is a great guy. I won't argue that. His teammates like him. I won't argue that. He's smart. I won't argue that. He limits turnovers and doesn't make mistakes. I won't argue that.

The only things I'll argue are very simple:

1) He's at his best when throwing a limited number of times per game. Until he proves otherwise, expecting him to throw more and get the same results as under Harbaugh's system is based on hope and faith).

2) He's not an elite quarterback capable of being THE difference maker in a playoff run. He needs a GREAT team around him to do so, including an elite defense.

3) KC has a coach whose history says (1) is not going to be an option, and a roster that suggests (2) is still at least a few years off.

4) The Chiefs gave up too much for a QB with limited upside, and by giving up too much severely hampered their ability to find a QB with that upside in the 2013 or 2014 drafts. It's harder to walk away from a guy you gave up two first round picks for (And had your owner running around talking up in the media). If Smith doesn't work out and they walk away from him in one year or even at the end of two years without significant success, that burns a lot of public trust.

Everything you said is true. Every single bit of it. And when i refer to the Saints game, you can diminish what he did, but no one thought he was going to lead them, and yes LEAD, and i use that term LEAD when it comes to alex smith on the field very SELDOMELY, but no one thought he could lead them down to score once, much less TWICE, and yes, he led them twice. Thats all i was saying.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
This isn't some unproven coffee fetching dumbass ***** bitch. The man running this team is 11th in all-time playoff wins, only has 3 losing seasons in his 14 years coaching and is known as an elite QB coach.

He's proven shit in this league for more than a decade. He has earned a wait and see approach.

Wrong. Scott ***** was the exectutive of the ****ing decade. That's 10 years of him being an alleged bad ass and he ****ed it up right off the bat. Andy isn't coming off his best years so he needs to earn the benefit of the doubt with this fan base, although their are dumbasses that will just use he old "he does this shit for a living line".

Mav
05-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Sure it had to do with turnovers at the QB position and I think with Andy Reid as coach and a weaker defense than what Alex Smith is used to we are still going to turn the ball over quite a bit. I really don't see us going to 3 yards and a cloud of dust football that protects Alex and the defense.

We will have to see i suppose. I dont think that your defense is going to be nearly as bad as some do. But thats because I really respect the jets system that your new d coordinator comes from, i also have a lot of respect for Hali, and Houston......

Mav
05-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Wrong. Scott ***** was the exectutive of the ****ing decade. That's 10 years of him being an alleged bad ass and he ****ed it up right off the bat. Andy isn't coming off his best years so he needs to earn the benefit of the doubt with this fan base, although their are dumbasses that will just use he old "he does this shit for a living line".

So Scott Pioli was your Phil Savage. The almighty savior....bleh.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 09:09 AM

True, but you are comparing apples to shit oranges. Scooter didn't come here under the same role. Andy is. Big difference. Scooter peter principled himself to the NFL Network desk.

-King-
05-09-2013, 09:14 AM
True, but you are comparing apples to shit oranges. Scooter didn't come here under the same role. Andy is. Big difference. Scooter peter principled himself to the NFL Network desk.

Yeah I don't think that comparison applies to Reid, but it could definetly apply to Dorsey.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:14 AM

Pretty damn close. Let's not pretend like Reid isn't the one calling the shots on who is on the team. I highly doubt Reid had any less to do with Alex Smith than Pioli did with Cassell.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:17 AM
We will have to see i suppose. I dont think that your defense is going to be nearly as bad as some do. But thats because I really respect the jets system that your new d coordinator comes from, i also have a lot of respect for Hali, and Houston......

Exactly. Lots of question marks with all the changes. My point has always been if Reid and Alex are who they have been it's not going to work. Reid is going to have to change.

splatbass
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM

He was the QB when they went to the NFCC game, and he brought them back to tie the game and go into OT. He was 6-2 in the first half of the season last year before he was hurt, and actually won more regular season games last year than Keapernak did. There is no reason to think he wouldn't have taken them deep in the playoffs or to the SB except butthurt because he isn't the QB you want.

It is sad how so many of you let emotions overtake logic.

splatbass
05-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Oh, the TrueFan gif IS not only proof they exist, it is unarguable proof.

*Someone post the ****ing thing*

We've seen the stupid thing about a thousand times too many. it doesn't prove shit except to simpletons.

RunKC

Pioli wasn't a GM in NE. He was a fraud like every other coach/front office person to get their own gig except Dimitroff. He mooched off of Belichiks work and won awards.

Meanwhile Reid ran the Eagles team. He was the head coach, not some assistant like Pioli.

Pasta Little Brioni
Yeah I don't think that comparison applies to Reid, but it could definetly apply to Dorsey.
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely.

The coaching comparison would be Reid to that buffoon Haley and I like this hire a weee bit better to say the least.

Halfcan
05-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Pretty damn close. Let's not pretend like Reid isn't the one calling the shots on who is on the team. I highly doubt Reid had any less to do with Alex Smith than ***** did with Cassell.

You are slipping- you called him Alex-lol

I am not going through every post but if there was a Better option than Alex Bad Ass Smith- you must know something the entire Chiefs organization doesn't know.

You are going to look pretty dumb calling everyone Homo's for rooting for the guy when he has a great year.

I have never seen any team sink as low as the Chiefs did last year. I am happy with the moves they made and will wait to see if they pan out before posting pages and pages of negative bullshit based on results from the past.

Peace Big cat- I will save you a spot on the Bandwagon on the way to the Playoffs. Go Chiefs!!!

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Halfcan has drank too much Berry Kool-Aid

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 09:26 AM

This.

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 09:28 AM
"subjective analysis" ROFL I should make a thread on all the names Alex Smith has been called on here so far- and he has not even thrown a pass-lol

or how about calling every draft pick a bust and they havnt signed their contracts yet?

Last year was a nightmare and for Clark to turn it around like he has is amazing. There is a fine line between voicing a legit opinion based on performance and just being a negative dick. :rolleyes: Unfortunately negativity rules this place and anyone excited about this team is a "true fan" now.

You are fucking excited about them signing another in a long line of recycled QB failures from another team? The 4th one from the 9ers?
You are excited about a guy that has already shown his ceiling, and proven it isn't high enough?

Enjoy.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Halfcan has drank too much Berry Kool-Aid

LMAO

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:30 AM
***** wasn't a GM in NE. He was a fraud like every other coach/front office person to get their own gig except Dimitroff. He mooched off of Belichiks work and won awards.

Meanwhile Reid ran the Eagles team. He was the head coach, not some assistant like *****.

He hasn't done shit lately and sure hasn't done shit in KC. Until he does so there is no reason to give him a free pass when he chooses to trade a 1st for a QB that has shown to be successful only when asked to just not fuck it up.

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Post of the thread right here.

The hand me down shoes don't have too large of holes in the soles.

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Maybe you should go suck the stains out of an old pair of Elvis Grbac skivvies!

patteeu
05-09-2013, 09:37 AM

I'll see if I can make it happen. :)

RunKC
05-09-2013, 09:42 AM
He hasn't done shit lately and sure hasn't done shit in KC. Until he does so there is no reason to give him a free pass when he chooses to trade a 1st for a QB that has shown to be successful only when asked to just not **** it up.

This is basically what the "wait and see" approach is. He's not getting a free pass, but he also shouldn't be compared to Pioli until his QB and draft picks start showing it, which I hope doesn't happen.

Halfcan
05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
You are ****ing excited about them signing another in a long line of recycled QB failures from another team? The 4th one from the 9ers?
You are excited about a guy that has already shown his ceiling, and proven it isn't high enough?

Enjoy.

If he doesnt get the concusion- he starts all year. And being the 4th qb from the 9ers has Nothing to do with This signing. You are lumping Every QB failure in Chiefs history on Smith and that is Not his problem. People are bitching and bitching- but what was the solution?? Alex was a great signing. Considering our draft history in the second round-lol It was a steal.

If you look at all the moves- they are building a Very specific type of team- and Alex will be perfect for it (they hope

Yes I am very excited that we at least have a QB that gives us a chance to win.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Andy Reid wants a passing attack game plan and he brings in a guy that doesn't do well if he has to pass more than 25 times a game and is a basic game manager. Contradicts everything Andy Reid wants and preaches he will do.

I wish the media here had a pair of balls. I'd love to hear them ask something like

"Coach, history tells us that the more Alex Smith is asked to throw the ball the worse his number get and you're a guy with a history of throwing the ball all over the field. Do you plan to modify your system to Alex or do you think he's a guy that matured enough to be able to do more than the 49ers asked him to do the last few years?"

duncan_idaho
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
You are slipping- you called him Alex-lol

I am not going through every post but if there was a Better option than Alex Bad Ass Smith- you must know something the entire Chiefs organization doesn't know.

You are going to look pretty dumb calling everyone Homo's for rooting for the guy when he has a great year.

I have never seen any team sink as low as the Chiefs did last year. I am happy with the moves they made and will wait to see if they pan out before posting pages and pages of negative bullshit based on results from the past.

Peace Big cat- I will save you a spot on the Bandwagon on the way to the Playoffs. Go Chiefs!!!

Being excited about jumping on the 10-6 bandwagon is the same, to me, about being excited about banging the hot, airhead chick who was a dead fish in the sack in high school

Both seemed great in the 90s, when I was a teenager. Both were things that I got REALLY pumped up for (in the 90s). Both are things that now don't have quite the same appeal. That hot chick is still hot (probably), but she's also still an airhead who just lays there. I'm going to withhold emotional attachment in both cases because just like the older, wiser version of me now requires a little bit more from women to really get excited, I require a little bit more of my football team to really get excited.

patteeu
05-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I wish the media here had a pair of balls. I'd love to hear them ask something like

"Coach, history tells us that the more Alex Smith is asked to throw the ball the worse his number get and you're a guy with a history of throwing the ball all over the field. Do you plan to modify your system to Alex or do you think he's a guy that matured enough to be able to do more than the 49ers asked him to do the last few years?"

That's an overly simplistic view of history. You haven't controlled for the effects of the quality of the team around him, the coaching, the offensive philosophy, or anything else.

On the one hand, you're all about focusing on Alex Smith's poor performance early in his career while downplaying the improvement later on, but on the other, you complain that Andy Reid hasn't done much lately (despite his fantastic accomplishments over his first decade or so with the Eagles). I find that interesting.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
That's an overly simplistic view of history. You haven't controlled for the effects of the quality of the team around him, the coaching, the offensive philosophy, or anything else.

On the one hand, you're all about focusing on Alex Smith's poor performance early in his career while downplaying the improvement later on, but on the other, you complain that Andy Reid hasn't done much lately (despite his fantastic accomplishments over his first decade or so with the Eagles). I find that interesting.

Those are all excuses Andy could provide in an answer to the question, but the question should be asked.

Your 2nd paragraphy shows you are missing my points entirely. I find that interesting.

Halfcan
05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Being excited about jumping on the 10-6 bandwagon is the same, to me, about being excited about banging the hot, airhead chick who was a dead fish in the sack in high school

Both seemed great in the 90s, when I was a teenager. Both were things that I got REALLY pumped up for (in the 90s). Both are things that now don't have quite the same appeal. That hot chick is still hot (probably), but she's also still an airhead who just lays there. I'm going to withhold emotional attachment in both cases because just like the older, wiser version of me now requires a little bit more from women to really get excited, I require a little bit more of my football team to really get excited.

:rolleyes:

31 teams were losers last year. So I guess you shouldn't root for your team Until you Know for sure they are winning the SB? Not many Ravens fans thought they would win it all last year, but they did. 9ers fans realistically didnt think they would come within a few yards of winning it. If Super Cape doesn't choke at the end of the game they would have won it.

So yes I am excited that this team is no longer a National laughing stock. We have a very respected coach and GM and a former #1 pick as our qb now. We cut a lot of dead weight, resigned Bowe and have a #1 pick to beef up our line. There is a Lot to be happy about.

Call me a True fan- that is drinking the cool aid- but I don't see a reason for the hatred and negativity towards the chiefs. Maybe you should be a Ravens fan- that way you can say YOUR team won the superbowl- so that makes you a winner too-lol

Halfcan
05-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Maybe you should go suck the stains out of an old pair of Elvis Grbac skivvies!

:spock: that is quite a mental image there hemi-lol wow

nychief
05-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Thank you Mark Twain.

duncan_idaho
05-09-2013, 10:32 AM
:rolleyes:

31 teams were losers last year. So I guess you shouldn't root for your team Until you Know for sure they are winning the SB? Not many Ravens fans thought they would win it all last year, but they did. 9ers fans realistically didnt think they would come within a few yards of winning it. If Super Cape doesn't choke at the end of the game they would have won it.

So yes I am excited that this team is no longer a National laughing stock. We have a very respected coach and GM and a former #1 pick as our qb now. We cut a lot of dead weight, resigned Bowe and have a #1 pick to beef up our line. There is a Lot to be happy about.

Call me a True fan- that is drinking the cool aid- but I don't see a reason for the hatred and negativity towards the chiefs. Maybe you should be a Ravens fan- that way you can say YOUR team won the superbowl- so that makes you a winner too-lol

Nah, I'll root for them. I always do. And I see no point in rooting for other teams.

I like everything the Chiefs did in the offseason EXCEPT for the price they paid for Alex Smith. That's the only thing I quibble with.

I'm going to need to SEE that work out and SEE his pattern broken before I will believe they can win anything of real significance with him.

I just have a hard time getting excited for a 10-6 season with a non-elite QB at the helm. If they go 10-6 and Alex Smith displays elite QB play in Andy Reid's offense, throwing the ball and carrying the offensive burden, making elite QB plays consistently against playoff teams, etc. I will get excited, because that's the formula that has won 18 of the past 20 Super Bowls. If the Chiefs' defense coalesces into an elite unit and Alex Smith is what we think he is, I can get a little excited, because that's the formula that has won the other two.

I just have low expectations that either will actually happen this year or next. And think our fanbase is too willing to accept 10-6 (or 9-7, 8-8 or 7-9) for the sake of being respectable and making the playoffs (even if that only results in a road playoff game they have little shot at winning).

Sandy Vagina
05-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I just have a hard time getting excited for a 10-6 season with a non-elite QB at the helm.

How many elite QBs are there out there? which elite QB could KC have acquired?

Or are you saying that nothing could have excited you, since there were no elite QBs to be had?

duncan_idaho
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
How many elite QBs are there out there? which elite QB could KC have acquired?

Or are you saying that nothing could have excited you, since there were no elite QBs to be had?

"Out there" as in available in free agency? Probably none, unless something completely unexpected and unlikely happens.

"Out there" as in the future? I think there are some guys, even in this "bad" QB draft, who have the tools to be elite QBs. Same thing with next year's draft, which is regarded more highly.

But you can't find an elite or near-elite (top 15 in league) QB without trying, and the price paid for Alex Smith severely limits the ability to try not only in this draft but also in the future.

That's my issue with the price.

If they'd snagged Alex Smith for a 3rd and a 4th or even two thirds, I wouldn't have a single problem with it.

Rasputin
05-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Nah, I'll root for them. I always do. And I see no point in rooting for other teams.

I like everything the Chiefs did in the offseason EXCEPT for the price they paid for Alex Smith. That's the only thing I quibble with.

I'm going to need to SEE that work out and SEE his pattern broken before I will believe they can win anything of real significance with him.

I just have a hard time getting excited for a 10-6 season with a non-elite QB at the helm. If they go 10-6 and Alex Smith displays elite QB play in Andy Reid's offense, throwing the ball and carrying the offensive burden, making elite QB plays consistently against playoff teams, etc. I will get excited, because that's the formula that has won 18 of the past 20 Super Bowls. If the Chiefs' defense coalesces into an elite unit and Alex Smith is what we think he is, I can get a little excited, because that's the formula that has won the other two.

I just have low expectations that either will actually happen this year or next. And think our fanbase is too willing to accept 10-6 (or 9-7, 8-8 or 7-9) for the sake of being respectable and making the playoffs (even if that only results in a road playoff game they have little shot at winning).

Rasputin
05-09-2013, 11:19 AM
"Out there" as in available in free agency? Probably none, unless something completely unexpected and unlikely happens.

"Out there" as in the future? I think there are some guys, even in this "bad" QB draft, who have the tools to be elite QBs. Same thing with next year's draft, which is regarded more highly.

But you can't find an elite or near-elite (top 15 in league) QB without trying, and the price paid for Alex Smith severely limits the ability to try not only in this draft but also in the future.

That's my issue with the price.

If they'd snagged Alex Smith for a 3rd and a 4th or even two thirds, I wouldn't have a single problem with it.

This.

I still would have taken Geno Smith with 1.1 just for the chance he turns out to be a good one. Not taking a chance and throwing away draft picks to be stuck with a mediocre quarterback sucks balls. We have done that so many times already. I don't know if Geno Smith is going be any good or not but it would have been fun to watch him as a Chief to find out. Next year still have the opportunity to draft another QB with a top one or two rounder and create job competition and trade bate for more picks.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Caring about how you percieve me is the pressing issue of my day. Really it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Let the Hate flow

The Franchise
05-09-2013, 12:13 PM
This.

I still would have taken Geno Smith with 1.1 just for the chance he turns out to be a good one. Not taking a chance and throwing away draft picks to be stuck with a mediocre quarterback sucks balls. We have done that so many times already. I don't know if Geno Smith is going be any good or not but it would have been fun to watch him as a Chief to find out. Next year still have the opportunity to draft another QB with a top one or two rounder and create job competition and trade bate for more picks.

Alex Smith will have to fail horribly for us to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds next year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 12:14 PM

A live CP chat would fix all this shit REAL quick. That's right fatboy; time to answer your public. Chop-chop!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Let's not forget Reid's staggering upward trend that kept him FIRMLY in control over in Philly!

Oh...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

At this point, Dorsey is a damned Yes Man in Reid's monkey circus! If Reid can't win the games that matter in two to three years, John Dorsey will be looking for a new coach.
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
If he doesnt get the concusion- he starts all year. And being the 4th qb from the 9ers has Nothing to do with This signing. You are lumping Every QB failure in Chiefs history on Smith and that is Not his problem. People are bitching and bitching- but what was the solution?? Alex was a great signing. Considering our draft history in the second round-lol It was a steal.

If you look at all the moves- they are building a Very specific type of team- and Alex will be perfect for it (they hope

Yes I am very excited that we at least have a QB that gives us a chance to win.
The solution is for the team to try something different, that may actually succeed instead of just being a lesser degree of failure.

I am not blaming anything on a man that hasn't taken a snap, but that doesn't change who he is, and what he represents in the direction.

Yeah I know, the QBs in this draft all sucked, but I would rather they had tried and failed, than not to try at all.

Sorry, they have taken me from the most extreme Kool-Aid chugging homer, to a man that is getting more pissed by the day, that they keep doing this. I started following this team at 19, and may very well not live long enough for them to draft their own quarterback, let alone win a fucking playoff game.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Let's not forget Reid's staggering upward trend that kept him FIRMLY in control over in Philly!

Oh...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, not exactly like Vermeil coming in off a SB win.

Tribal Warfare
05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Alex Smith will have to fail horribly for us to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds next year.

him ending up in a full body cast is pretty likely considering how injury prone he is.

Messier
05-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Yeah, not exactly like Vermeil coming in off a SB win.

Yep. Vermeil, after being retired for a year, costing the Chiefs a second rounder, and the consensus was Martz was the reason the Rams won the SB. I'm more excited by the Reid hiring.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 12:41 PM

As I've stated before and will state again and again: If you didn't want Geno or Barkley, you sure as all hell don't want any part of next years fuckball fiesta of college QB's BARRING a MAJOR uptrend from those fools. We shall see.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Yep. Vermeil, after being retired for a year, costing the Chiefs a second rounder, and the consensus was Martz was the reason the Rams won the SB. I'm more excited by the Reid hiring.

This fucking guy...
Posted via Mobile Device

Messier
05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
This ****ing guy...
Posted via Mobile Device

I know, right?

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Yeah, as it turned out the consenus was pretty much wrong on that one.

Messier
05-09-2013, 12:58 PM

How do you figure? And I liked Vermeil. He delegates, very well. The Martz offense, for a few years and with the perfect personal to run it, took the NFL by storm. Vermeil was this close to being a complete failure in St.L.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 01:47 PM
How do you figure? And I liked Vermeil. He delegates, very well. The Martz offense, for a few years and with the perfect personal to run it, took the NFL by storm. Vermeil was this close to being a complete failure in St.L.

Well I figure since Vermeil was able to duplicate the offensive success in KC that he had with the Rams with Al Saunders while Martz ended up bouncing around coordinator and QB coaching jobs the rest of his career after the Bulger years. I mean are we really comparing a guy that took 2 different teams to a Superbowl and a third team to a 13-3 record to Mike Martz?

However, let's be honest here. Their success in St. Louis was primarily due stumbling into having a HOF QB behind center. Warner>Vermeil>Martz

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Well I figure since Vermeil was able to duplicate the offensive success in KC that he had with the Rams with Al Saunders while Martz ended up bouncing around coordinator and QB coaching jobs the rest of his career after the Bulger years. I mean are we really comparing a guy that took 2 different teams to a Superbowl and a third team to a 13-3 record to Mike Martz?

However, let's be honest here. Their success in St. Louis was primarily due stumbling into having a HOF QB behind center. Warner>Vermeil>Martz

Yep, and the wide receivers weren't too bad either.

I think DV was very good for the team at that time, after the depths it had sunk to during the last years of Marty then Gunther.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty positive we won't have a 2nd round pick next year.

-King-
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
At this point, Dorsey is a damned Yes Man in Reid's monkey circus! If Reid can't win the games that matter in two to three years, John Dorsey will be looking for a new coach.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO Except Reid is the one who hired Dorsey you moron.

-King-
05-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Yep.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Yep, and the wide receivers weren't too bad either.

I think DV was very good for the team at that time, after the depths it had sunk to during the last years of Marty then Gunther.

Yeah, they had good pieces on the offense and a servicable enough defense. The thing I liked about Vermeil was he always had a plan and backed it up with stats. That guy knew about every stat imaginable that had to do with winning. I loved his theory on needing 3 things to win; QB, LT, and RB. If only we had Lovie Smith calling the D here instead of G-Rob things may have worked out like they did in St. Louis.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Depends on those 3-4 games Daniel will have to play.

Messier
05-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Vermeil is a really good delegator. He didn't call plays, but he made sure, (on offense) he had good people in place. In a way Vermeil did exactly what most hate SP for. He tried to recreate the success he'd just had with the Rams, even bringingin the backup to make it run. It just worked, somewhat, better.

HemiEd
05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Yeah, they had good pieces on the offense and a servicable enough defense. The thing I liked about Vermeil was he always had a plan and backed it up with stats. That guy knew about every stat imaginable that had to do with winning. I loved his theory on needing 3 things to win; QB, LT, and RB. If only we had Lovie Smith calling the D here instead of G-Rob things may have worked out like they did in St. Louis.

I can't argue with any of that. I have been roasted on here for it repeatedly, but I loved DVs leadership style.

Due to that, he was able to get the most out of a lot of players as long as they weren't rookies, kickers or on defense. :D Dante Hall, Eddie Kennison, Trent Green were all examples of overachievers due to DV leadership.

Messier
05-09-2013, 03:12 PM
I'll say this too a big Vermeil weakness, he was loyal to an incredible fault.

Kaepernick
05-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Most catches by a WR is 72

Most touchdowns by a WR is 4

Michael Crabtree WR- 72 catches/4 TDs
Vernon Davis TE - 67 catches/6 TDs

2009 was Vernon Davis's best year with had 78 catches and 13 TDs, most of that production coming after Shaun Hill was benched and Alex Smith was re-installed at QB, playing for the rest of the year.

milkman
05-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Exactly. Lots of question marks with all the changes. My point has always been if Reid and Alex are who they have been it's not going to work. Reid is going to have to change.

I think this offense with Alex Smith is going to look more like the Jon Gruden/Brad Johnson version of the west coast than the offenses that we are accustomed to seeing in Philly under Reid.

Reid is going to ask Smith to pass more than he has in his revious season and a half, but he's going to try to utilize his efficiency in the short passing game.

milkman
05-09-2013, 09:17 PM

I tried to tell everyone that Vermeil wasn't going to be able to achieve the same success in KC that he did in Stl.

I hated the hire, but no one listens to me.

I have the same feeling about this regime.

Just remember, in 5 years when the Chiefs are looking for a new coach, and still looking for playoff success that I told you it wouldn't work before Reid was hired.

BigCatDaddy
05-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I tried to tell everyone that Vermeil wasn't going to be able to achieve the same success in KC that he did in Stl.

Just remember, in 5 years when the Chiefs are looking for a new coach, and still looking for playoff success that I told you it wouldn't work before Reid was hired.

Well, to be fair he would have been the first coach to achieve the same success with a different team than he did in St. Louis. He put together 2/3 of a great team, but couldn't put it all together

Same with Reid. Since the aveage tenure with a team is about 3 years the odds are in your favor once again. I was all for the hirings, but I'm souring a bit after the Smith trade and draft.

RunKC
05-09-2013, 09:28 PM
I think this offense with Alex Smith is going to look more like the Jon Gruden/Brad Johnson version of the west coast than the offenses that we are accustomed to seeing in Philly under Reid.

Reid is going to ask Smith to pass more than he has in his revious season and a half, but he's going to try to utilize his efficiency in the short passing game.

I agree with this.

I think that's exactly why he drafted Kelce and Davis. Their extremely athletic athletes for their positions who can get a lot of YAC.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 09:32 PM
LMAO Except Reid is the one who hired Dorsey you moron.

The point is, if Dorsey shows upside in his picks and overall management while Reid continues trending downward...well, you do the math.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rasputin
05-09-2013, 09:32 PM

Alex Smith and Andy Reid offense best bet is to have quick short slant routes and just for Alex Smith to get rid of the ball quick. Nothing cute that Alex stands behind the los and plays develop that he has to look at all the reads. He will get smashed if he holds the ball too much. He is a defenses best friend if a team likes to sack quarterbacks.

Nope best bet for Andy Reid offense is to hand the ball off too Jamaal Charles.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 09:37 PM

I gave the hire a 50/50 chance for success based soley on change of venue. Sometimes starting over helps. But the direction he's chosen to go in with team building drops that ratio by at least 15 percent in my estimation. And I gurantee that second round pick is coin in the bank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Alex Smith and Andy Reid offense best bet is to have quick short slant routes and just for Alex Smith to get rid of the ball quick. Nothing cute that Alex stands behind the los and plays develop that he has to look at all the reads. He will get smashed if he holds the ball too much. He is a defenses best friend if a team likes to sack quarterbacks.

Nope best bet for Andy Reid offense is to hand the ball off too Jamaal Charles.

So......."Casseling" then? Got it.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu
05-09-2013, 09:49 PM

What do you consider "playoff success" for the purpose of this prediction?

Kaepernick
05-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Well, to be fair he would have been the first coach to achieve the same success with a different team than he did in St. Louis. He put together 2/3 of a great team, but couldn't put it all together

Same with Reid. Since the aveage tenure with a team is about 3 years the odds are in your favor once again. I was all for the hirings, but I'm souring a bit after the Smith trade and draft.

Which was worse, the trade or the draft?

Ming the Merciless
05-09-2013, 11:47 PM
What do you consider "playoff success" for the purpose of this prediction?

how about one or two home wins, that aren't in wildcard weekend? (in 5 years)

patteeu
05-09-2013, 11:55 PM
how about one or two home wins, that aren't in wildcard weekend? (in 5 years)

I'd like to see that. Is that what Milkman means?

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 12:09 AM
I'd like to see that. Is that what Milkman means?

no idea, but that is my minimum definition for success at this point

a couple of second round playoff wins (or more) in the next 5 years

I think Alex Smith was the wrong direction for this, but we aren't tied down to him YET

Mav
05-10-2013, 12:21 AM
no idea, but that is my minimum definition for success at this point

a couple of second round playoff wins (or more) in the next 5 years

I think Alex Smith was the wrong direction for this, but we aren't tied down to him YET

Its not a bad direction, if he is used properly. If he is, it will be disasterous.

Ming the Merciless
05-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Its not a bad direction, if he is used properly. If he is, it will be disasterous.

you make it hard to dislike you

i love the Army

i love the USA

I thank you for your service

i have the utmost respect for warriors

i just have no faith in Alex, but I hope I'm wrong....

Its going to be gut wrenching waiting till August

The shittiest thing will be if the rest of our team plays well enough to prop him up, (a la 2010) and we make some sort of long term deal based on an illusion....

Anyhoo,

GO Chiefs

Chief Roundup
05-10-2013, 03:08 AM

See this is what gives me hope about a future QB. I still feel like there was not a QB in the draft that was seen as anything more than a future backup. That being the reason they picked up Alex. But the door is still open to drafting a true QBotF.

05-10-2013, 06:06 AM
We might as well plan on sending the second rounder. Alex is going to Dominate this year as the Chiefs go 12-4 for the division title.

This trade is a steal for us. Only giving a couple of 2nd rounders for this guy was a joke-We get a #1 franchise quarterback that will lead us to Multiple Superbowl wins.

Best trade Chiefs ever made.

All the Naysayers and Alex haters will be looking pretty silly this time next year.

New world man?

-King-
05-10-2013, 06:09 AM
If we don't make at least the AFC Championship once in Andy Reids career here, it's a failure.
Posted via Mobile Device

RunKC
05-10-2013, 06:14 AM
If we don't make at least the AFC Championship once in Andy Reids career here, it's a failure.
Posted via Mobile Device

At least we have a coaching staff that knows what the fuck they're doing. It's been 7 years since we could say that.

05-10-2013, 06:25 AM
At least we have a coaching staff that knows what the **** they're doing. It's been 7 years since we could say that.

What was the dream teams record last year again?

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 06:34 AM

The trade by far.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 06:36 AM
See this is what gives me hope about a future QB. I still feel like there was not a QB in the draft that was seen as anything more than a future backup. That being the reason they picked up Alex. But the door is still open to drafting a true QBotF.

A 1st round pick seems like a steep price for a 2 year rental of Alex Smith.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 06:39 AM
At least we have a coaching staff that knows what the **** they're doing. It's been 7 years since we could say that.

Todd Haley made chicken salad of the chicken shit he was given to work with. If he was given more control over personnel. especially at the QB position. I think things would have worked out differently.

Chief Roundup
05-10-2013, 06:45 AM

You can try and twist it all you want it is a 2cd and probably a 3rd.
Evidently MOST NFL teams preferred any QB to the ones in this draft so there wasn't much of a choice there. This is the QB they wanted to go with in the interim. Get over it.

Chief Roundup
05-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Todd Haley made chicken salad of the chicken shit he was given to work with. If he was given more control over personnel. especially at the QB position. I think things would have worked out differently.

This I totally agree with. Pioli was the biggest problem.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 06:53 AM
You can try and twist it all you want it is a 2cd and probably a 3rd.
Evidently MOST NFL teams preferred any QB to the ones in this draft so there wasn't much of a choice there. This is the QB they wanted to go with in the interim. Get over it.

No, it's not twisting. Our 2nd this year and either 2nd or 3rd next year is the equivalent of a late 1st round pick.

That's fine, but that's still over paying if you are thinking it's two year rental in this situation. If Alex Smith puts you over the top the way the Chiefs were hoping Joe Montana did then you give the 1st for a 2 year rental. I don't think you give a 1st for a 2 year rental on a mediocre QB to avoid complete suckage. Either they severly over paid or they think he is the long term answer.

ChiefGator
05-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

If Reid finds/drafts a guy that will be the franchise QB for the next decade then I will call that a success regardless if he make an AFC title game or not.

HemiEd
05-10-2013, 07:56 AM

Just remember, in 5 years when the Chiefs are looking for a new coach, and still looking for playoff success that I told you it wouldn't work before Reid was hired.I give Reid 25% chance for success and that is going to depend on the QB so it isn't looking good IMO.
But I wasn't here for the DV hire and was guzzling the Kool-Aid by the gallon at that time.

The Trade fucked everything up and made the draft suck. So the trade is going to set this team back 5 to 10 years imo.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 08:01 AM
I give Reid 25% chance for success and that is going to depend on the QB so it isn't looking good IMO.
But I wasn't here for the DV hire and was guzzling the Kool-Aid by the gallon at that time.

The Trade ****ed everything up and made the draft suck. So the trade is going to set this team back 5 to 10 years imo.

As much as I hate the trade I don't believe you ever more than 2 years away from turning around an NFL franchise.

Chiefnj2
05-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Either they severly over paid or they think he is the long term answer.

Why in the world does anything think Reid views Smith as a short term solution? Smith is the long term plan.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Why in the world does anything think Reid views Smith as a short term solution? Smith is the long term plan.

I think the lack of an extension is what we cling to. I also think we also suffer from Casselsyndrome = The denial that your team will have shitty QB for the next half decade. I do feel if he does go full Cassell as I expect this regime will actually make a move unlike Pissholi.

Them passing on a QB with that 3rd round comp pick is a little concerning though. It's almost a vote of confidence for Alice having his only competition be 2 UDFA and a 5th round pick that have never taken an NFL snap.

Dave Lane
05-10-2013, 08:20 AM

The trade, mostly because it ties us to a mediocre QB for 2-5 years and limits our ability and options to get our own home grown version here in KC. If we had our 2nd round pick left and grabbed Geno I'd feel much rosier about the future than with Smiff.

Dave Lane
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I give Reid 25% chance for success and that is going to depend on the QB so it isn't looking good IMO.

The Trade ****ed everything up and made the draft suck. So the trade is going to set this team back 5 to 10 years imo.

Damned good post my friend, rep for you.

Dave Lane
05-10-2013, 08:24 AM

I don't disagree but compared to Gunther DV was like a breath of fresh air. I thought it was a good move at the time and hoped for the best. I loved the offense it we could have managed to draft 2-3 playmakers on defense we could been in a couple of SBs

patteeu
05-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Why do you call it a 2 year rental? I think the chances of Alex Smith being gone after two years is pretty low.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Why do you call it a 2 year rental? I think the chances of Alex Smith being gone after two years is pretty low.

I agree with you and that was my point. You don't pay a 1st for a guy that you expect to be a 2 year rental unless it's a guy that can put you over the top like Montana was.

He is going to have to play his way out of KC and I think he probably will thankfully.

KCDC
05-10-2013, 08:28 AM

If Alex Smith is still here after two years and starting as QB, it means either:

1) He has become a different QB (e.g. his brain is put inside a cyborg, he sells his soul to the Devil to become an elite QB, takes a blow to the head which unlocks skills never seen in him before, he takes performance enhancing drugs and gets away with it)

2) we are in BIG trouble

patteeu
05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
I think the lack of an extension is what we cling to. I also think we also suffer from Casselsyndrome = The denial that your team will have shitty QB for the next half decade. I do feel if he does go full Cassell as I expect this regime will actually make a move unlike Pissholi.

Them passing on a QB with that 3rd round comp pick is a little concerning though. It's almost a vote of confidence for Alice having his only competition be 2 UDFA and a 5th round pick that have never taken an NFL snap.

The only reason to jump the gun on an extension is if the front office thinks that Alex Smith will be so outstanding in 2013 that his pricetag will skyrocket. Otherwise, it makes sense to just wait until next off-season to work out an extension, which is what I would guess they have in mind.

patteeu
05-10-2013, 08:31 AM
If Alex Smith is still here after two years and starting as QB, it means either:

1) He has become a different QB (e.g. his brain is put inside a cyborg, he sells his soul to the Devil to become an elite QB, takes a blow to the head which unlocks skills never seen in him before, he takes performance enhancing drugs and gets away with it)

2) we are in BIG trouble

There's a 3rd option. It could also mean that his detractors have been wrong about him just like most of them were wrong about Geno Smith's draft prospects.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
The only reason to jump the gun on an extension is if the front office thinks that Alex Smith will be so outstanding in 2013 that his pricetag will skyrocket. Otherwise, it makes sense to just wait until next off-season to work out an extension, which is what I would guess they have in mind.

We agree on this one. I'm just saying that's why some people are still holding out hope he is viewed as a stop gap. The same way people kept clinging to the hope that Pioli would draft a QB early in the draft while Cassell was here.

KCDC
05-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Sadly, I think you are right.

patteeu
05-10-2013, 08:33 AM
We agree on this one. I'm just saying that's why some people are still holding out hope he is viewed as a stop gap. The same way people kept clinging to the hope that ***** would draft a QB early in the draft while Cassell was here.

:thumb:

Messier
05-10-2013, 08:35 AM
There's a 3rd option. It could also mean that his detractors have been wrong about him just like most of them were wrong about Geno Smith's draft prospects.

They are not and will not consider that an option.

KCDC
05-10-2013, 08:39 AM

That is possible; though even his supporters seem to acknowledge him as little more than a good game manager that has improved on his QB rating each of the last few years. That is hardly a ringing endorsement of a long-term solution. His supporters acknowledge that he's not the guy to lead you to a fourth quarter comeback when down by two touchdowns. His record shows he is 2-27 when the opposing team scores 20+ points (which happens regularly in today's NFL).

As much as I want him to become a great QB, I don't see how that happens (absent major body transplants). So, it is hard to be optimistic. This is doubly so because I fear Reid is in love with him and won't get rid of him until he is fired or a Tom Brady drops into his lap in a future draft,

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
His last 2 years in SF he was probably in the 11-20 range in regards to NFL qb's. Next year he really needs to either be a top 1/3 or bottom 1/3 QB or this franchise will spin it's wheels is mediocrity. My worst nightmare if that he is just servicable next year. I'd much rather him bomb out so we can move on then move forward with a middle of the pack guy. If he is servicable I'm afraid that will get him an extension and the TF's will embrace him fully.

Tribal Warfare
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
His last 2 years in SF he was probably in the 11-20 range in regards to NFL qb's. Next year he really needs to either be a top 1/3 or bottom 1/3 QB or this franchise will spin it's wheels is mediocrity. My worst nightmate if that he is just servicable next year. I'd much rather him bomb out so we can move on then move forward with a middle of the pack guy.

It's hard to be serviceable when Alex can't stay on the field after a big hit.

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
It's hard to be serviceable when Alex can't stay on the field after a big hit.

If that happens hopefull that figures into the equation on an extension.

Messier
05-10-2013, 09:01 AM
This all comes down to will a rookie become better than between 10th and 20th best in the league. I don't think so. Alex Smith, I believe, is the best QB on a new team, rookie or vet.

Sandy Vagina
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
This all comes down to will a rookie become better than between 10th and 20th best in the league. I don't think so. Alex Smith, I believe, is the best QB on a new team, rookie or vet.

:thumb: ... Go Chiefs!!!

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 09:08 AM

I guess this is where we differ. I'd rather take a chance on a guy that has some upside and can be a top 10 QB down the road even though it might not be next year. I think right now if Alex is a middle of the pack guy he gets extended and we won't even attempt to get a QB in the 1st round for at least 2 years.

He has shown he can be a bottom 1/3 QB, but he's never shown he can be that top 10 franchise QB at even a Trent Green level so at 29 I'm not expecting him to all of a sudden turn into something else.

splatbass
05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
The trade, mostly because it ties us to a mediocre QB for 2-5 years and limits our ability and options to get our own home grown version here in KC. If we had our 2nd round pick left and grabbed Geno I'd feel much rosier about the future than with Smiff.

I still don't understand the whole "homegrown" thing. It makes absolutely no difference if you win with a homegrown QB or you win with one you get from someone else. The only thing that matters is if you win. Is it an ego thing?

BigCatDaddy
05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
:thumb: ... Go Chiefs!!!

:thumb: ... Go fuck yourself!!!